Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DocElffington
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Being in The Right League Page 7 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Plenty of fat boys have lucrative careers in the major leagues.

So who dictates whom belongs in what leagues??

Personally, I successfully date women out of my league just to piss off the nay-sayers!

Ok well, women out of my league just so happen to be in my tastes. And apparently I appear to be in theirs too. So it's all good.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 275
Being in The Right League
Posted: 2/24/2009 12:36:17 PM
I haven't read all the posts...but I think there are leagues...or whatever you want to call them.
People say all the time they don't think they're better than anyone else...well...I think I'm
better than some people. Racists, bigots, mean people, cruel people, screaming people who think physical abuse is righteous...I'm better than they are...and they aren't in my league.
Call it whatever works for you....call it a league, a club...call it class thing...whatever. It exists...at least in my mind.
Looks don't really come to my mind when I think of leagues...although I think many a good looking guy would look at me and think he could do better...and he'd probably be right.
I don't take it personally....I just look at it as the pyramid theory. I'm not at the top...but I'm not at the bottom...I'm pretty much in the middle...and I'm okei with that.

TodaysCatch
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 2:37:21 PM

It is men that are not nearly are demanding as women. As some have mentioned herein look at the men’s profiles…. they do not have nearly as many musts as do most of us women. It has been my experience that very successful, accomplished men do not need arm candy. More than anything these men desire in their ideal woman compatibility, charm, sensuality, spontaneity, a sense of humor and the capacity to truly demonstrate genuine love for them.

Nicely put, Splendere.
 DocElffington
Msg: 277
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 3:57:57 AM
Well I'm fricken picky!

And it seems to be a source of attraction for women.

They know that you're not going to fall head over heels in love with anything that pays you the slightest bit of attention.
And when you pick them over all the other women you COULD have?

It makes them feel more special!

Pay attention fellas! This one post is a wealth of useful information!
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 282
Posted: 2/25/2009 12:14:51 PM
^^^^^
After some thought I think someone "out of your league" means they are substantially better looking than you by the general populace, in combination with being potentially more "upscale" than us in style and that way about them. If the combination of the two is substantially higher than where we are, we consider them "out of our league".

Some may say "oh there's no such thing; I have confidence"... first I'd say that's silly. One would have low confidence if they had to be in denial of some folks being better looking or more upscale than they are. I think one can have confidence knowing they're roughly a 7/10 in looks where 5 is average, and not quite that "upscale" and sees himself about a 7/10 on that scale.

There are gray areas... and a gal who he sees as a 5/10 in looks but very "upscale" (9/10) in her appearance and attitude is hard to tell if she's out of the league of him who's 8/10 in looks, but a 4/10 in being "upscale".

I think that's why you'll see some girls who aren't naturally very pretty at all, but their dress, style, and maticulousness are carefully crafted ("upscale") so they make up for it, thus bumping them up a "league".

I think many times it's unclear, and only clear when you don't feel you're their type (they're a little more 'upscale'), and at the same time, you feel they could get a guy substantially better looking than you, too. It's a judgment call -- not by your own eyes, but how they see you and where they tend to be.
 DocElffington
Msg: 284
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2009 7:07:02 PM
Maybe she needs to learn some assertiveness and pick the kind of guy she'd like to be with and get the ball rolling?

Maybe the guys she'd be interested in are looking at the women in their league because the guys figure they have no chance with her anyway?
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 286
Posted: 2/27/2009 11:35:00 AM
laree27,

I don't think a personality trait (like sense of humor or niceness) makes one in a better or worse league. May make them a better match...

But I think 'league' refers to looks+status. She must be at LEAST in your league in looks, but her status should be significantly higher in that case. Also, she could be prettier than most girls you could land a date with, but she's laid back, not upscale, and in your "type" zone.

My thoughts and examples to clarify:
"I wouldn't say she's out of my league, because she's not that pretty... but she's just really upscale, so she's just not my type and vice versa."
"Yeah, she's out of my league. She's not super-hot, but she's fine looking, and a famous singer..."
"Yeah, she's out of my league when she goes to the bar, that's her thing, so I guess she is. You take all that makeup and the upscale dress away, and her natural beauty's decent, but not out of my league. However, look at the upscale guys she hangs with and do chase her. She's not my type, and she fancies the upscale guys who would be out of her league if she wasn't so dolled up with sophistication when she went out."
"No, I wouldn't say she's out of my league. She's down-to-earth just like any normal middle-america gal, but she's just naturally really pretty."
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 288
Posted: 2/27/2009 4:55:56 PM
laree27,

Oh, one clarification I may have mistyped. Goes with the last example... If the girl is prettier than you but she's laid back and not at all of any more "upscale" type than you, then she's NOT out of your league.

Therefore, with that last example -- she's your type in general (as far as "upscale" or "downscale" goes)... and she's just prettier, no she's not out of your league. Now, if she's A LOT prettier than a girl you could realistically ever get -- YES, then she is out of your league.

A girl would have to be several more steps up in better looking, if she's your same type of being upscale/maticulous/etc, to be considered "out of your league".

Usually, it's a combination of both. Average Joe at bar sees fancy upscale dressed lady who's really good looking, hobknobing with guys in suits or close to it. She's out of his league. Out of your league means "very little to no chance".

Average Joe doesn't have to be bitter about it, because she's not his type anyway... but he knows she's more upscale and hotter than his demographic, thus, he would have no chance anyway if he was looking for a quick fling or something.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 9:21:07 PM

Statistics show that 1 out of every 10 men cheat. Whereas only 1 out of every 4 women cheat.

Um, that means that women are *more* likely to cheat than men are...
 compleat_man
Msg: 292
Posted: 2/28/2009 8:42:03 AM
^^^

Statistics show that 1 out of every 10 men cheat. Whereas only 1 out of every 4 women cheat.

Um, that means that women are *more* likely to cheat than men are...

yes, to the poster who said that..do you realize in other words you said that 10% of men cheat, and 25% of women cheat?

I doubt the veracity of such a wide spread..if heterosexual men or women are cheating they are presumably doing it with people of the opposite sex; thus the numbers should be fairly close to equal..unless you are saying a person part of a couple is ;cheating' with a lot of single people; but in most cases like that the single person knows the other is not single, and that is also cheating of a sort.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 293
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2009 3:27:49 PM

yes, to the poster who said that..do you realize in other words you said that 10% of men cheat, and 25% of women cheat?

I doubt the veracity of such a wide spread

Plus, I did a quick Google search and every site I found gave statistics that showed that men and women are about equally likely to cheat. Which sounds about right to me.
 strait-country
Msg: 295
Posted: 3/30/2009 6:19:32 AM
8567: women are just as shallow
 abelian
Msg: 298
Posted: 4/10/2009 7:53:03 AM

I don't think about league, to be honest with you. I go for whomever I am attracted to, and I'm not just talking about physical attraction.

You are overlooking the fact that those to wom you are attracted (and actually see as accessible) will be affected by who you think you can attract. You don't have to be talking about just physical apperance (and I'm sure most people aren't), but most people are only going to mitigate so much in their willingness to make tradeoffs.
 abelian
Msg: 300
Posted: 4/10/2009 9:49:18 AM

I have attracted several different types of guys within various different "leagues". Therefore, I don't feel as though I am good enough for certain "leagues" and not enough for others. So, as mentioned before, I will go for whomever I am attracted to, regardless of how unattainble that man may seem. If it works out, great. If not, that's perfectly fine.

Unless you're saying you'll go for a person who is physically attractive regardless of what that person's other qualities are, you over simplified what I said. I didn't think that was what you were saying in the post to which I replied. If you're saying that you'll go after the best looking person you can find without having more to offer than looks, you aren't being realistic. On the other hand, if you you know you have something to offer that person he can't easily find in someone else, then your comment makes sense, but at the same time, that was my point in my earlier comment.
 CutTheCurtains
Msg: 302
Posted: 10/3/2012 8:13:34 PM
For what I always thought is that people date other people who they consider being their equals, and this is done subconsciously.'

I think we all have once saw a couple walking at the mall and thought '' Wow, why is she with THAT guy? He must be.....etc''.

It's probably because they consider themselves in the same league. It has nothing to do with how you view someone, but its about how you view yourself. You have low self esteem, You probably won't be flirting with the dude with the hard abs an the colgate commercial smile. If you're scrawny but have charisma, confidence and humour, you could possibly suceed in winning beach babe's heart.
 LDW61
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2012 8:25:43 PM
well i have one question .. what league am I in.. ? several of the attractive guys i have sent messages to have never replied. am i not pretty enough.. is my profile not well written or did i not give enough info. I seem to have plenty of older men, and black men contact me when my profile states i am interested in WHITE men between the ages of 48-55 . i just dont seem to be attracting what i am looking for.
 Robin.Doeve
Msg: 304
Posted: 10/10/2012 8:35:50 PM
It's funny how all the men say they don't believe in leagues, it's because they think they can get any woman, no matter how gorgeous or successful she is. Truth be told, there definitely are leagues, sorry to burst your bubble.

I usually try to look for guys that "match" me, they are compatible with me physically, where they are in life etc. etc.

And I'm definitely able to say that there are men out there that are out of my league, I'd be intimidated if someone ten times better looking approached me.
 TheDeliberateStranger
Msg: 305
Posted: 10/10/2012 10:50:24 PM
^^^^ wow there we have it guys. the truth spoken!
 Octane_Rush
Msg: 306
Posted: 10/10/2012 10:52:34 PM
[quote\ It's funny how all the men say they don't believe in leagues, it's because they think they can get any woman, no matter how gorgeous or successful she is. Truth be told, there definitely are leagues, sorry to burst your bubble.

I usually try to look for guys that "match" me, they are compatible with me physically, where they are in life etc. etc.

And I'm definitely able to say that there are men out there that are out of my league, I'd be intimidated if someone ten times better looking approached me.

EXACTLY! Guys are pompous jerkwads. I operate on the assumption no woman would want me; it's better to have no self-confidence than to be arrogant. It's a doctrine I preach to us subaverage guys.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 307
Posted: 10/11/2012 5:58:53 AM

EXACTLY! Guys are pompous jerkwads. I operate on the assumption no woman would want me; it's better to have no self-confidence than to be arrogant. It's a doctrine I preach to us subaverage guys.

One can be confident without being arrogant.

I am confident, and make absolutely no apologies for it whatsoever. If someone misinterprets it as arrogance, I couldn't care less. It's their problem. I'm not about to downplay it just to avoid any accusations.

There is nothing good about no self-confidence. It's not protecting you from anything. It's nothing but misery.
 _Leahcim_
Msg: 308
Posted: 10/11/2012 6:30:46 AM

One can be confident without being arrogant.

I am confident, and make absolutely no apologies for it whatsoever. If someone misinterprets it as arrogance, I couldn't care less. It's their problem. I'm not about to downplay it just to avoid any accusations.

There is nothing good about no self-confidence. It's not protecting you from anything. It's nothing but misery.

^^^^ Precisely!! Those who let validation from others determine their self worth are on the wrong path.
 chrismac1982
Msg: 309
Posted: 10/11/2012 7:09:58 AM
Most chicks, guys too will try and try and try to get that perfect 10, when they are not worthy of a perfect 10 because they aren't one either. So they wait and wait and wait. When they get in their 40's, their biological clock is ticking, and they realize they have to get what they can before it is too late. That is when they go for poindexter because "He is a nice guy".

Remember this, a woman would rather share a guy who is a 10 with several other women, than have a 9 all to herself.
 Midwest_Southwest
Msg: 310
Posted: 10/11/2012 7:51:57 AM

Instead, men, regardless of their level of attractiveness, are inclined to always go for the big prize, even if they know they stand no chance to get it.

Disagree with this. While I think men might be thrilled to have a relationship with the most beautiful woman they can, the majority of men I’ve known do not want a relationship with a woman that is wealthier, much more educated or of significantly higher status- someone that they perceive as having greater power or status than they do.

I noticed that in-the-league and out-of-league borders are continuously shifting based on level of confidence, physical, emotional or social shape.

I think that’s true.
 Hybridized
Msg: 311
Posted: 10/11/2012 10:39:03 PM
Hmmmm... I've always found the concept of the 'leagues' things as very interesting, even though I don't really understand it. I think we all know what an quite-to-really attractive person is, and what a not-very-to-not-so-attractive person is, but how granular does it get? I mean, how does one even know where in the narrower part of the spectrum to they lie?

See, I don't have any idea how attractive to consider myself, not just in the granular sense, just not at all. ¯\(°_o)/¯ Is there some secret to figuring it out, or is it a bunch of hooey? I mean, on semi-regular occasion I have women tell me stuff like I'm "gorgeous" out of the blue, or "You must have women all over you?" (as a recent female client told me in a meeting), but to say I was even marginally successful in the dating world would a gross overstatement... LOL! I'm fairly certain I'm a homely mofo that occasionally gets lucky when solar flare radiation slips through cracks in the atmosphere and interferes with women's brainwaves. I gave up utterly on here as I've gotten no replies in hundreds upon hundreds of messages, interspersed by the occasional woman fawning over me (usually sent from somewhere like the U.K.). But then again, I've dated women I'd consider (and most others would to) nines. Girls with modeling portfolios... who thought I was attractive as well. And then, most of my girlfriends have been in far worse physical shape than myself (maybe I just have an ugly face), which is more objective than subjective. So, what's my league?
 DomG79
Msg: 312
Posted: 10/12/2012 7:22:40 PM

My personal dating experience confirms this theory. It was one time when I lowered my bar and tried to date people under my standard. To my surprise, I was constantly rejected (with some exceptions that were explained otherwise) and did not know the reason until I read that study.

This is why I am how I am. If I am going to be rejected anyway, I might as well actually go for the ones I like.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >