Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texasbaby
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Have any great Mexican Recipes to Share any n all ?Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Lol.. the shrimp recipe sounds great too, but I'm allergic to them, so I'll skip trying it.
Yes, I was thinking of the ice pops. But, after I posted I thought of something else that would be good. I bought my spoiled children an electric ice shaver for snow cones and thought how good a strawberry margarita would be over a big glass of the shaved ice.. yummm...

tb
 SAguy_06
Msg: 84
Have any great Mexican Recipes to Share any n all ?
Posted: 7/12/2009 11:36:01 AM
Yeah...dove, I dont mind the vera, I mind all the salt they pack in...My grocery also sells cleaned and sliced raw nopal in a plastic bag.

I want a cherry lime aide now...
 texasbaby
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 5:18:07 PM
Fresh nopal in the store always leads me to thinking of prickly pear jelly. I haven't made any for a few years, but it is so good and the prettiest red color you ever saw.

Dove ~ I found the ice shaver at Good Will for $6, with a small part missing. I replaced it at the hardware store for 15 cents and we were in business. Lol,,, I love a good bargain!
Been looking at the water melon in the pantry floor,,, thinking watermelon margaritas.. What could be bad about a couple of those over shaved ice? Yumm

SAguy ~ Homemade cherry lime-ade
A squirt of cherry snowcone syrup
Half a lime squeezed
lemon-lime soda A cheery,, of course
These are as good as the real deal from Sonic..

Snowcone syrup
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
1 table spoon corn syrup
Bring to a boil and cook until sugar dissolves
Remove from heat stir in a package of kool-aid, any flavor
Cool and pour into a bottle..
I keep this in the the frig.

tb
 SAguy_06
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/13/2009 8:56:40 AM
Naco's
Cheese
Heat
Salsa...

naco's ?...= Nacho chips?

Nachos are the completed chip...chip, cheese, salsa= nacho

naco is a slag word for dweeb...you dont want to be a naco.
 diana411
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 12:17:31 PM
salsa this is what i take to partys it serves at least 50 people and gets raves from every single one ! 8 large tomatoes diced put in an extra large bowl 4 large green peppers in food processer chop add to bowl with tom. one huge bunch celantro in processor next with 5 lg cloves of garlic pulse a few seconds add to bowl 2 large onions chopped and prosessed add to bowl squeeze about 10 key limes about 1 cup of juice or use key lime juice in bottle 2 cans pastene kichen ready tomatoe puree add to bowl 2 jalopino peppers choped remove seeds and if less heat is desired remove the membranes as well use gloves when you work with these 4 hass avocodos chopped large cause they break down a bit when you stir it season with 1tsp celery salt 1tsp pepper 1tsp garlic powder 1tsp onion powder 1tsp adobo powder you can use goya its in the spanish section for about 1.00 thats it stir and refridgerate at least 2 hours before you serve it stays good in fridge for at least 5 days if it lasts
 texasbaby
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 10:46:14 AM
I saw that one on cooks dot com, there are several versions on there. I think in some of the recipes I saw, the ice cream balls were double dipped in the eggs and crumbs before frying.
The one I liked had a small amount of sugar,, about half a cup, I think, beaten into the eggs.
There's a new Rice Krispie cereal I just bought that might be good for this.. The cereal is huge puffs compared to regular Rice Krispies and it's slightly sweet.
I think this would be awesome made with coffee ice cream too.
Anyway,, they all sounded good to me,, what's not to like about any dessert made with ice cream...

tb
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 8:34:30 PM
I'm on a quest to find out what this was ,my ex used to make around christmass .... It was a spicey meat pie/ sandwitch.. she would cook ground meat /spice's and then make this "round 6 inch bread/soft shell and fill the bread/ shell with the meat mix and then fry in a pan with oil. Would anyone know what it is and or how to make it ???please ohhh please I have been hopeing to find this .I'll offer a shiny nickel to who ever can tell me what this is//////thank you
Mike

ps
If anyone knows how to make this please post it so I can make it ...thanks again
Mike
 SAguy_06
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/1/2009 6:04:12 AM
SAguy's Shrimp n Lemon

1 serving is 6 large shrimp peeled and dressed

finishing sauce...need about one table spoon per sreving
sauce is 1 clove garlic, juice one large lemon and 1/4 serrano pepper
crush the garlic and serrano and add the juice slowly, press the flavor out of the chilli and garlic then remove the large chunks

season shrimp lightly with salt and pepper
dust with flour...very lightly

in a saute pan, on med-hi heat, add t 2 tlbsps butter, then place shrimp and let cook 3 min on side on until the flour begins to lightly brown, flip and continue to cook till shrimp goes opaque, add more butter, there should be enough butter to finish the sauce. about a tblsp or so.

Then turn off heat and add about 1 tblsp of juice mix to pan. swirl to combine and pour out shrimp and sauce over warm egg noodles.

Dont over flour shrimp, flour for sauce more than to bread shrimp
2nd, butter and flour and juice is going to make a sauce...but done expect a cup of sauce.
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2009 2:39:20 PM
thank you both,DOVE and pearl .... my ex's mother is /was from cuba ,and the meat had olives(black) sayzone(I know thats not right) .I know I should have watched but I was wayto biz. eating these ,and I know for shure the dough was not puffy at all ,more like a half pie and pressed witha fork ( I know I'm not helping) I will check all out and coook all to find out ( if anything I'll find one near or better ) and if all else fail's I'll enjoy the cooking of some great food (something I've not been doing as of late) and ladys and gents thank you all again
Mike
 texasbaby
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2009 5:07:25 PM
Cuban Picadillo

Can be served over rice or used as empanada filling.
1 pound ground beef
4 cloves garlic minced
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper diced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup beef stock
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 small potatoes peeled and diced
olives 10 to 12
olive oil
Saute ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic until onions and peppers are soft and beef is no longer pink. Add oregano, cumin, beef stock and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer 15 min. Add diced potatoes and cover and simmer 15 more min. Add olives and simmer uncovered 15 more min. or until liquid is evaporated, but mixture is still moist. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over cooked rice or use to fill empanadas... Canned biscuits can be used for the empanada dough. Flatten each biscuit till thin, place a small amount of filling on dough, fold and seal the edges well,, fry until golden on both sides.

tb

tb
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2009 1:57:15 PM
TO ,dove . pearl and Salmon, If I could kiss all three of you I would (huge kiss)I had these today and it worked out well .Had to take a nap after eating and the guys I ride with thank you also( said it was the best meal in a long time).I found the dough at wal-mart of all place's? premade ,and will have to try the others .wish me luck and thank's again
Mike

ps
You ladys rock
 SAguy_06
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/2/2009 2:46:50 PM
My mom made pumpkin empanadas and she would use her flour totillas dough.

so masa trigo would work. Mom both fried and baked her empanadas. she would put an egg wash on the baked and they would come out so pretty...

BTW sweeten the dough if your going to make a sweet empanadas...mom would use sugar and cinnamon in the dough.
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2009 7:17:40 PM
O.k lady's .As I said before THANK YOU ALL , so far all that you all have shared with me have been great ( gaining weight as we speak) and I do plan on haveing a empanada night next week and will be haveing Pineapple ones after,, as I said all the guys I ride with cant wait till I get cooking on this soooooo I had to print all these and save them .You have no idea how well it went over ......

Mike
 SAguy_06
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/7/2009 2:17:57 AM
My 2 cents

Jalisco style of cooking and spicing food isdiffrent in Jalico Mexico that a Jalisco style Resturant in Santa Monica Ca.

The Jalsico resturant may serve typical Jalisco type dishes, but they have to 1. adapt to local ingredients and 2. local tastes. In Jalisco, cooks may have access to spices, herbs, pastes sold in local markets not availble here in the states. Likewise the resturant may have to adapt and serve dishes not offered in Jalisco.

Your Burrito is not a Jalisco stable, its a Southwest orginal...you can find burritos all over the US now. Wheat flour tortillas are not as popular in Mexico. In fact you wont find Handmade Flour tortillas outside the southwest.

Tex Mex is the adatation of traditional Mexican food with regional or local ingredients.
Cheese enchiladas made with Colby cheese and Enchilada gravy is a Tex-Southwest adaptation. Beef Barbacoa instead if Goat(mexican style) is tex-mex.
Chalupas, Crispy-Puffy tacos, Fajita tacos, Menudo de res, carne guisada, picadillo
 SAguy_06
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/9/2009 6:06:43 AM
Beans in Lard, you can tell if beans are re-fried in lard or veg shortning...the pinto beans have a darker shiny look. Pinto beans are cooked with onion and garlic. salt is added to the end of cooking, added to early darkens the whole bean.

most resturants just smash the beans and allow the beans to thicken through evaporation. My grand father used to grow Epasote...a herb that used to be added to cooking beans, but that wast not my g-mas bean cooking tradition so she would not add it. I know its popular in Mexico, but dont know if it changes the flavor, I dont think Ive hade pinto beans w/ epasote. i smelled it once it had a low level greenie-black licorice smell.

btw...if resturants still use lard, the turn over is good...commercial pork lard is very stable...bacon and pork grease is not.
 karmelkiss
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2009 8:35:09 AM
SA, do you have an easy chicken adobo recipe.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 119
Posted: 9/7/2009 2:04:11 PM

SA, do you have an easy chicken adobo recipe.

Karmel, I dont know to much about adobo sauce/marinades. How were you wanting to cook the chicken? I know that they put adobo sauce on chicken and bake/roast it or place in a dutch oven and wet simmer in lots of a adobo sauce. think of chicken mole stewed in the juice.

we grill/bbq chicken naked here, not to much sauce, unless its grilled with lime juice and spices.

When I see most recipes to make adobo suace, most have everything but the kitchen sink...which lends me to belive they dont really know what the're doing or everybody has a personal recipe like your mom's thanksgiving turkey dressing. everyone is dressing, but all are not the same.

Rick Bayless' Red Chilli Adobo Sauce.

Makes about 5 cups
1/3 cup vegetable oil
12 medium (about 6 ounces) dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into flat pieces
6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1 teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon cumin, preferably freshly ground
1/4 teaspoon cloves, preferably freshly ground
1/2 cup cider vinegar
4 cups chicken or turkey broth (use the turkey neck and giblets for making broth)
Salt
2 to 3 tablespoons sugar

1. The adobo puree. Measure the oil into a large skillet and set over medium heat. When hot, oil-toast the chiles 1 or 2 pieces at a time until very toasty smelling and blistered, only a few seconds per side. Pour off all but a generous film of oil from the skillet and set aside. Transfer the chiles to a large bowl and measure in 4 cups hot tap water; a small plate on top will keep the chiles submerged. Let rehydrate for about 20 minutes.

Measure the garlic, oregano, black pepper, cumin, cloves and vinegar into a blender or food processor. Pour in the rehydrated chiles, liquid and all (do this in two batches if necessary). Process the mixture to a smooth puree. Press through a medium-mesh strainer set over a bowl.

2. From puree to finished sauce. Set the chile-frying skillet over medium heat. When quite hot, add the adobo and stir until reduced to the thickness of tomato paste, about 10 minutes. Stir in the broth, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes or so. The finished sauce should be quite light in texture-not watery, but just one stage thicker. (A good test is to pour a little on a plate and watch it spread: If it flows evenly, it's right; if it doesn't flow much and water begins separating around the edges, it's too thick.) Season with salt (usually about 1 tablespoon) and sugar -- it should be a little sweet-sour with a hint of saltiness. Serve warm.

Working ahead: The finished sauce will keep for days if refrigerated, well covered.

You can place chicken or chicken pieces into a zip lock bag and add some adobo sauce...marinate overnight, then cook you chicken to your liking.

I hope this helped
 agoraphobic_insomniac
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/28/2014 5:40:58 AM
Easy Mexican Rice

Quantities will vary according to how many people you are feeding.

Hamburger
Cooked white rice
Chickpeas, cooked, drained, rinsed
Kidney beans, cooked, drained, rinsed
Corn off the cob, cooked, drained, rinsed
Can(s) diced tomatoes
Jar(s) of salsa
Package(s) taco seasoning.

Crumble, cook and drain hamburger. Add to remaining ingredients in a large pot. Heat thoroughly.
Enjoy.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 129
Posted: 6/1/2014 10:37:10 PM

I've had a favorite over the years but it may require more effort than most want to put into making a meal.

It's called Taco Dinner Kit by Ortega.

First you have to open that box and remove what's inside.
You'll need to brown some hamburger and painstakingly drain off some grease, or you could use chicken so you don't have to go to all the work of draining grease but then you'll have to compare that savings to cubing the chicken.
Follow the instructions on the box for adding the sauce, you'll have to do some measuring but don't give up.
The toppings can become quite wearisome but there are shortcuts a person can take.
Instead of buying a head of lettuce buy it pre-shredded in a bag.
Instead of slicing and dicing, (and heaven forbid peeling), tomatoes, buy them diced in a can. Here again you have to open that can and once again do some draining.
Instead of buying a block of cheese and shredding it you can buy a bag of cheese already shredded. Opening the bag isn't a big deal but I can recall once when I opened it the resealable portion got damaged so be a little careful.
Using black olives is a matter of preference, is the flavor really worth the extra effort?
You can forego warming the shells in the oven, no sense in making more work of this than it already is.

I've got a hankering for Mexican now after typing this but I've become exhausted in doing so. I think I've got some other good Mexican foods in the freezer that is a bit less work but not quite as good. The boxes say Banquet or Swansons on them I think. More boxes to open......

don't quit your day job.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 134
Posted: 8/11/2014 6:00:30 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted this....... It's really simple and not very fattening in basic form -use as much of any ingredient as you like

Taco Soup

Ground beef -lean -brown in skillet/frying pan then drain fat (I usually brown beef with garlic powder and a bit of dry ranch dressing mix)

Taco seasoning -add to beef and just cover beef with water -simmer 30 min -transfer everything into large pot

Canned corn -drain and add to pot

Canned diced stewed tomatoes -add to pot

Canned black beans -add to pot

Minced yellow onion -add to pot

Chopped cilantro -add to pot

Add water to desired consistency -heavy simmer/light boil for 30 min.-1 hour

Scoop into bowl -add your choice of salsa/small or crushed corn chips/grated cheese if desired

Also tastes great with squeezed lime juice in it!
 Stellan77
Msg: 151
Posted: 2/12/2016 7:16:30 PM
Can anybody recommend any good nacho recipes?
 NewYorker58
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2018 9:27:52 PM
Happy Easter, Dove! That's a tasty sounding Spanish lasagna!

I make a Mexican casserole, layering with tortilla strips, alternating with layers of shredded chicken, mixed Mexican cheeses and a creamy sauce with anaheim peppers pureed in it. A person could use cream of chicken soup to then put the pepper in it. Make about 3 layers, bake at 350° for about 45 mins.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2018 6:13:35 PM
I don't have family recipes. I tried the casserole as a sample from the deli dept in a gourmet store and thought I'd like to make it. I bought a piece, because then the weighing machine spits out an ingredient list. Now that you mention it, I do season the chicken. I make chicken breast on the bone into soup, then I get soup out of it too. I shred the chicken, then tossed it in a little butter that has onion & garlic powder and a sprinkle of salt in it.

I just puree roasted Anaheims into cream of chicken soup, or you can make the cream of chicken soup from the chicken soup. You can use a hot pepper if you prefer heat. Anaheim isn't hot. You can use the broth to make totilla soup.

Some recipes use beef chopmeat and chili type seasonings with more of a red sauce. This is a similar recipe from cooks.com:
 NewYorker58
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2018 6:14:33 PM
CHICKEN TORTILLA CASSEROLE (MEXICAN)
1 c. onion, chopped
2 tbsp. butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. chicken broth
2 sm. cans chopped chilies
1 dozen corn tortillas (fresh)
2 1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
1 sm. to med. chicken, cooked and deboned

Fry onions and chilies together in the butter. Add soups and broth to the onions and chilies. Set aside. Tear apart 4 tortillas per layer. Begin with sauce on the bottom of a deep casserole dish.
Then add a layer of tortillas, more sauce, chicken and then cheese. Continue with layering tortillas, sauce, chicken and cheese until the casserole is filled. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
 SingleInChurch
Msg: 160
Posted: 8/23/2018 3:16:48 PM
Tacos:

1 pound of ground beef
cooking oil
hot mexican-style chili powder
crushed red pepper
fresh baby spinach
guacamole salsa
taco sauce
sour cream
shredded mexican cheese
flat-bottom crunchy taco shells

In electric skillet or saucepan, brown ground beef in oil with chili powder and crushed red pepper. Drain. Line bottom of taco shell with baby spinach. Add layer of ground beef. Proceed to add guacamole salsa, taco sauce, sour cream and shredded cheese in whatever order you prefer. Makes about 8 spicy tacos.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >