Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 briargate
Msg: 87
What if you were being tracked by your cell phone?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
The cell phone tracking doesn't work if the phone is turned off. Just FYI. One free tracking service is Mologogo.com Most GPS phones can be set to not send out location data, or only send it if 911 is called. Check your phone. But really, any boyfriend that is tracking you for no reason and then mentions it to you like Daddy needs to get the boot. On the other hand, you now know how to track someone else if they indeed warrant scrutiny.
 cuillerier
Msg: 88
What if you were being tracked by your cell phone?
Posted: 1/15/2009 8:02:54 PM
I dont have a cell phone, haha, so im good. We got onstar in the car. They can track you there, lol!

Rob
 ceaser_73
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:11:13 PM
He can't hear anything you say on the phone,only state agencies (law enforcement) can do that, and thet have to have a warrant. There is a seperate GPS system that someone can buy and put onto your car, like in the trunk,hood, etc. (Usually on the inside of a compartment so the device isn't exposed to the elements), and can be tracked from a home computer or blackbery. Someone can track your location by GPS on your phone on if your phone has this feature and you subscribe to it with your phone service provider, you can simply turn of the phone and it will not be able to track you. Once you turn it back on then it can be tracked.
Does make one wonder what his reason for doing this is?
 wisguyingb
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/17/2009 5:55:26 AM
Maybe he put a microchip under your skin while you were asleep. Muhaaaaaaa

I highy doubt he is tracking you.
 karma1160
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/21/2009 3:49:11 PM
I would most definintely say..."Hit the road Jack". It is about entitlement or the misquided perception of people that think they are entitled to the whereabouts of people they know.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2009 4:48:37 PM

Msg #114 If you see that movie mall cop their is a scene where the boyfriend is tracking his girl friend by her cell phone on his computer through gps.
Right from the trolls.. ur I mean.. Op's mouth.. I suspect this is where she got the fodder for her most recent delema.

Stay tuned for the next installment. Depending on what movie she sees next.. it may be rather interesting.

OP: if you wanted to perform a public service announcement warning about cell phone tracking and GPS.. why not just do it that way instead of instilling all the drama?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 102
Posted: 2/2/2009 6:13:40 PM

in which case he wouldn't be dating some weirdo who has had several accounts & brags about doing married men..Yes u all missed that!...My ex has stalked me on here..anybuddy give a sh!t? Didn't think so..

I caught that married thing I do wonder most days if people actually read before they empathize/sympathize and opine. Doesn't appear so here.

~OT~ Silliness. If you suspect someone is trolling you, stalking you, staring at your azz as you walk by, or whatever ~ fix the problem. Change the number, get rid of the man, file for a protective order, ignore him and move on with your life. If you don't wish to lose the man, lose the paranoia. JMO
 heartseekertrue
Msg: 105
All digital cell phones transmit gps data....
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:00:39 PM
one way to do this involves special;ized info; then its just a matter to know how to access the right data stream...anyone can be thus tracked. Prezzes blackberry included...
Unless you carry the phone in a lead box, it regularly and frequently sends out your 20. But...in a lead box, it wont ring, either. Why carry it?

I'd change boyfriends, phones, and read about how surreptitious tracking can be protected against.

The second way; a partner..who innocently enough, offers you a "free phone", on their plan....
would be a huge red flag. The bills....and call patterns, would be generally evident.
GPS data would be harder to obtain legally... absent a court order or subpoena.
 Delirious Denunciation
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:25:36 PM
What? This is possible? I so need to find out how to do this. How else can I keep up with all my boyfriends, those crazy little stinkers! LOL! Just kidding. I think you should run for the hills, ASAP! People that tend to practice controlling behaviour to that degree, can easily manifest into something far worse. Think, American pyscho.

Good luck!
 m14shooter
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 7:25:41 PM

How in the world can someone track you by a cell phone? Really, can that be done? But yes, I would be upset too!

Especially considering sometimes I talk to my best friend when I am in the bathroom! I always at least warn her when I flush I wouldn't want anyone to know I do that! Oh wait, I just told the whole world.

The US government has forced the phone manufacturers to put gps in the phones under the pretense of being able to find you if you are hurt and dial 911 but in reality it is to track people. Peoples phones have been used against them in court by prosecutors. I had mine reworked by a Motorola engineer to not allow the gps to transmit and also to turn off the remote activation feature. The remote activation feature was also forced by the government so that if someone they have a wiretap warrant against and they turn it off they can turn the listening capabilities back on. If you ever want to a make sure they cant track you leave it at home or turn it off and remove the battery.
 m14shooter
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 7:29:54 PM

This thread is exactly how urban legends get started. People will pass this stuff along to their friends as gospel.

Talk to your own cell phone company customer service reps before you repeat the fact that phone company employees (even if they are your friends)will track your bf or gf for you.

I talked to mine and this is what they told me; the information necessary to track anyone by their cell without that person's permission is not available to all employees. Only certain employees can access that info, and there is a system of checks and balances in place to keep the employees that can access it, honest. Everytime they log in, the time they logged in and the info accessed is recorded. The activity is constantly monitored. If an employee is found to be making unauthorized access to an account, they are questioned, and not only could they lose their jobs, but they are also in violation of some kind of federal statutes because those business are interstate. In fact, when law enforcement want to track someone by their cell, they have to get a court order.

My cell phone company is the largest in the U.S., but I suppose regulations in other countries could be different.

Bull, there are other tracking systems that the phone company does not control that you can buy. There is a case right now where A guy tracked and killed his girlfriend and the guy she was banging by her cell phone. Police also found hours of her conversations with him and others on the guys computer.
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 127
Posted: 2/6/2010 1:47:08 AM
surveillance equiptment can track anyone, anywhere in every way possible.
with bugging a house, the person can listen to everything that you say
from as far as 2 miles away.

i lived it.

dump him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 theforumfiend
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/6/2010 6:38:42 PM
Sure hope the OP is still checking her thread with her new profile (same username).

…one of the reasons I posted this thread not just for me ,but for people to be careful and make sure they are not being tracked.

Really? I mean, really? Then why did you write this earlier?

He knew someone that works for the phone company that's how he got the information .Yes it is illegal But I don't want to get him in trouble.

OP, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. That person deserves to be in trouble. That person signed a confidentially agreement to work for that mobile carrier. Reporting the employee would be a good thing since protecting their customers’ personal information is important to them.
 want to travel
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 8:25:06 AM
crazy obsessed stalker comes to mind, not to say anything about respect and trust, there are a lot of normal men out there, maybe you should find one
 msdemeanor70
Msg: 143
Posted: 2/7/2010 2:32:02 PM
I know Sprint has this capability. It is $5 a month and not hard to set up . I'm guessing the other major providers have it as well. If you can get directions on your phone, you can be tracked by GPS. They market it as a way to keep an eye on your teenager. Granted, the person is texted to let them know they are being tracked, but how many of us just automatically delete what we think is junk mail?
 chrisofpa
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/7/2010 6:41:14 PM

wrong about what technology is available today for tracking, recording and monitoring peoples activities through their cell phone. You say it's unfeasible for a SO to have access to the other persons phone...I am saying it is feasible

I just want to second you on this. There are several options for installing spyware on a phone that will allow you to do all kinds of nasty tracking. In order to protect yourself

1. NEVER allow anyone else to use your phone. It doesn't take that long to download and install the software.

2. Do a simple google search on spy phone. The companies who offer this service do so in plain sight.

3. Consider putting a password on your phone. That is a royal pain when you use it. An alternative might be to simply activate the password when you are in a position where your significant other can access your phone.

Sorry Wally, but Sonoran Swimmer is right on the mark with the capabilities of the technology. As far as it showing up on the target's bill, it doesn't. The spy service handles all of that for a hefty fee to them. The target has no indication they are being monitored.

There are times when I have some sensitive discussions with colleagues. In those cases, we all pop out our batteries due to the possibility of eavesdropping. However, that may not be enough as a previous poster mentioned that some phone models have a backup battery capability. Oh well, I guess it's mini farady cages now (yes they do make them)

Here is an excerpt from the website of one of these services.

ALL-in-ONE Features Summary

Spy Phone – Listen in to the surrounding sounds and conversations around the TP
Sms Interceptor – Receive duplicate copies of all incoming/outgoing text messages
Text Alert – Receive notifications when TP connects to an incoming/outgoing call
Call Through – Listen to both sides of TP and RP conversations
Boot/SIM – Receive notifications when TP changes SIM or turns phone ON
Location Info – Receive location info of TP to nearest phone mast
Reboot – Will refresh software and restart to eliminate problems
Status Report – Receive notifications of the software operating status
PHONE DEAD (listen to surroundings when the TP is turned off) – Coming soon (Free upgrade)
SPY REC (Record surrounding of handset) - Coming soon (Free upgrade)
SPY CALL (Record incoming/outgoing calls) - Coming soon (Free upgrade)

Note the Phone Dead - you can still listen in even when the phone is off.

BTW - the same thing applies to keyloggers on computers. I have found a couple on client machines. To protect against that, make sure that you only allow access to your Windows XP machines through a limited user account.

One other thing. Before anyone does this consider that you will most likely be breaking federal and state law at a felony level even if you put this on your kid's phones. You don't want to spend the next 10 years with a huge, hairy, evil, horny cellmate.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/7/2010 7:34:03 PM
I'm not up on all the aspects of tracking. My son noticed something weird with the GPS on our samsung phones. If our wireless access is turned off, the CEP (Circular error) is something like 2 thousand feet. If we turn the wireless on but don't connect to a wireless access point, the GPS accuracy is about 250 feet. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Anyway, it appears that your location is a combination of the nearest mast (and possible triangulation with two or more masts.) and satellite GPS signals. I also tend to think that there might be something going on if you are connected to a wireless because the IP of the wireless would be available and that ***might** lead to a specific geographic location

There was a story a while back where a guy watched a woman take a picture at a park in San Francisco. 2 days later he had a complete profile on her. She took the pic with one of the latest phones. He guessed that she would upload some of the pics which would be geocoded. He found the pics on flickr or some similar service. Once he had that info, he was able to build a whole profile on her.

Fortunately for her, he was not a creepy stalker but rather a writer in one of the tech mags. He published the story but did so in a way that did not compromise her.

Off track here but about 25 years ago when I was real serious in Tae Kwon Do, we had a John Bircher training with us. He would look us in the eye and say "THEY used to only be able to listen to you through your radio. Now THEY can SEE you through your TV".. Every time he did that I thought "Great, we are teaching this guy how to kill with a single kick, what can go wrong here??" Anyway, he wouldn't be too far off the mark today. The feds weren't too happy a while back when they had to admit in court that they were able to listen in via Onstar to bust a mob boss. Gotta run, my coffee pot appears to be listening in.....
 chrisofpa
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/7/2010 7:40:29 PM
Oh, one more thing about the geocoding of phone pics. About 2 weeks ago, there was a flurry on some blogs.

Someone had posted a pic of a couple of lines of coke on their desk with the question of "Should I do these or not? I'm really bored today". I forget the site where he posted the pic. Anyway, the original pic was posted with the geocode data. Someone ran the Lat/long and guess where the location pointed to??

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Now, there are two possibilities here. (1) Someone went to great legnths to tamper with the GPS geocoding of the pic or (2) someone in the west wing is doing coke on company time...

The takeway here is that it would be possible for someone to figure out where you were if you sent a pic from certain phones in that the geocoding data would be in the pic. "Hi Honey, here is me at work" when the geocoding puts you in the lobby of the Happy endings massage parlor.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 155
Posted: 2/8/2010 5:44:56 PM
Eyeofthecamera.

WOW,, that was an excellent and informative post - Thanks

Also, one other thing to consider.. If you have something like EZpass, that provides a pretty good record of your comings and goings if you use toll roads. There was a local case recently where a guy got nailed in a divorce proceeding for boinking his gf. The expass records became part of the proceedings and showed he was on the wrong (or right) side of the river.

One nasty thought. If it ever hit the fan, grab your EzPass and stick in on the trailer of a tractor trailer. People will be looking for you in iowa while you are in Maine. :)

Gotta run- I'm going to read up on Faraday cages. ...
 TheReason_
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:59:13 PM
There are apps for iPhone, which let you broadcast your position, so others can find you.
 Mojorising137
Msg: 162
Posted: 10/12/2013 3:37:13 AM
I'm out of a 8 year relationship but if she did put a tracking device on my phone is there anyway or an app to show you this , just certain things she has said makes me think how the hell did you know that ??? makes me think is she tracking me, I've got nothing to hide so I'm not bothered but just surprised at how she knows certain things, weird that's all?? Any help would be great cheers mojo
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 163
Posted: 10/12/2013 7:52:32 AM

I'm out of a 8 year relationship but if she did put a tracking device on my phone is there anyway or an app to show you this , just certain things she has said makes me think how the hell did you know that ??? makes me think is she tracking me, I've got nothing to hide so I'm not bothered but just surprised at how she knows certain things, weird that's all?? Any help would be great cheers mojo

Do you post to Facebook or any other social media from your phone? If so, you need to change the settings on the phone or it posts where you were when you created the post.

I was chatting on FB with my niece while she and her husband were on there way to my place and I kept telling her what town she was in and it was driving her nuts that I could tell where she was the whole trip. Needless to say, when she got here, they turned the tracking off on her phone.

Beyond that, I would say that it is not likely that she put a tracking device on your phone, but if you are worried have your provider walk you through resetting your phone to the factory settings.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 164
Posted: 10/12/2013 7:59:49 AM
Big time control freak. Yes there are apps on phone that can track you down.
 sigungq
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2013 2:14:29 PM

swtsxyme wrote:
The reason for this thread is that I just found out that my boyfriend has been tracking my location He told me where I was the other day and how he knew by tracking me, I felt so violated not because I have anything to hide but that's over board for me. To think what else is being tracked, I don't even want to say certain things on the phone.what would you do if this was done to you?

Welcome to the club, the NSA does it to everyone.
 gtomustang
Msg: 166
Posted: 10/12/2013 2:35:10 PM
hope to use your cellphone to make a 9-1-1 call? They won't be able to find the location of your emergency without GPS (they can try to triangulate you by the cellphone towers, but that takes time to end up with just a guess). so if you disable any tracking device, be sure to tell your loved ones so when they try to use it to save your life, they can re-establish tracking, or you'll get the "benefit" of your own paranoia.

I grew up without the electronic leash. didn't leave the house without telling my parents when I'd be home, and not wearing a device called a wrist watch, which told me exactly what time I better stop doing what I was doing and head home. Cellphones make it easy for people to be rude and call at the last minute to see if I'm free, rather than plan ahead and call and make plans (take my word for it, when people can't call you to cancel--they tend not to cancel so much). the best concert in history was Woodstock...hippies figured out they should be there, found the place, and had no benefit of cellphone, twitter, Internet to help them locate the time and place. what equivalent events have occured in the time of cellphone? :o lol And let's not even discuss bosses being able to reach you on the weekend...

cellphones are neat toys taken from Star Trek's idea of the communicator, and they are here to stay. But its funny how if you make life simple, it tends to have less stress in it--which gives you more time for the real things in life.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >