Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What if you were being tracked by your cell phone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ependa
Msg: 176
What if you were being tracked by your cell phone?Page 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I know of this service, but I thought you had to enable it on your phone. My friend at work tracked his wife , but just as a joke (and yes, she laughed too). I don't know it's kinda creepy, but maybe he was screwing around. Obviously he wouldn't tell you if he actually wanted to keep tabs on you. I'm pretty sure there is something on your phone that you have to enable, so I would talk to your provider and disable it. If he balks and tries to pull the bs of 'why would you not want me to, what have you got to hide' , drop his azz and don't look back. If he did alter something on your phone..well, personally , I would drop his azz at that point too, but up to you..If you don't, I'd make it clear to him that these are personal boundaries you expect him not to cross in the future.

Oh..far as I saw from my friend's phone, it shows the map location and address , but doesn't enable any type of eavesdropping. Talk to your provider to find out the scoop on all of it and how you can prevent it.
 Pondering the Circle.....
Msg: 177
What if you were being tracked by your cell phone?
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:38:39 AM
how you can prevent it.

You can disable the GPS on your phone manually. However there are multiple other ways of tracking cell phones such as through the IP address if you access the web and other methods. Some of this software does not require the user of the phone to do anything other than have the phone on and creating a signal. If the 'tracker' has access for even a few minutes to the 'trackee's' phone there will be zero privacy...calls, texts, emails and ambient conversations can be recorded, tracked and monitored.
These are also just the 'legal' ways of spying. If you want a fun trip on the dark side go to a 'spy store' and chat up a sales rep...wow.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 178
Posted: 2/7/2010 11:07:43 AM

Not unfeasible...very real.
How did your quote from my post spell it UNfeasible? Oh, well.
Bluetooth eavesdropping is only effective within range.
GPS tracking services are not applicable to third-party contracts.
Unless the OPie's BF is paying for her phone, she would receive/see a bill for any tracking services associated with her account. The website you listed from the UK requires permission from participants to be party to "social" tracking.
I still think he set her up!

P.S. There are tracking technologies that work based on planting a device on someone's car, but he claimed to be monitoring her whereabouts through phone. Of course, he could be a bullsh!tter AND a liar!

If the 'tracker' has access for even a few minutes to the 'trackee's' phone there will be zero privacy...
This is only possible in relatively close proximity. He could NOT use such technology to monitor her location miles away.
Msg: 179
Posted: 2/7/2010 1:25:26 PM

How did your quote from my post spell it UNfeasible? Oh, well.

I 'back traced' your post and altered it.

This is only possible in relatively close proximity. He could NOT use such technology to monitor her location miles away.

Believe what you choose to believe. There is technology available that will allow your phone to operate as I indicated. I'm not saying you walk into Radio Shack with a 20 dollar bill and get this technology...but it is available and used.
 Hibiscus20
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 1:45:37 PM
He must be pretty techie, to have gotten access to all the info that would allow him to do that. Did you provide any of it to him?

Contact your cell phone company and check it out. If the phone you have cannot block him from tracking you, get a phone that can.
Msg: 181
Posted: 2/7/2010 2:28:18 PM
I don't know why you are "arguing" with me, SS. You say

I'm not saying you walk into Radio Shack with a 20 dollar bill and get this technology...but it is available and used.

and what I said was

it is infeasible that your BF would have access!

What, exactly, are you contending?

I STILL say he was fawkin' with her!!! (secret listening/GPS bam bam)

here is a link from 2006 that reports on remote listening of conversations occurring in proximity to a remotely activated cell phone bug. Still some debate as to whether bug is in form of hardware or software, and the FBI isn't talking!

Still not sure what this has to do with BF tracing LOCATION of OPie using her cell phone or practicability of BF's ability to implement!

The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-150467.html
 msdemeanor70
Msg: 182
Posted: 2/7/2010 2:32:02 PM
I know Sprint has this capability. It is $5 a month and not hard to set up . I'm guessing the other major providers have it as well. If you can get directions on your phone, you can be tracked by GPS. They market it as a way to keep an eye on your teenager. Granted, the person is texted to let them know they are being tracked, but how many of us just automatically delete what we think is junk mail?
Msg: 183
Posted: 2/7/2010 2:35:27 PM
don't know why you are "arguing" with me

I'm not arguing. I am trying to let you know you're wrong about what technology is available today for tracking, recording and monitoring peoples activities through their cell phone. You say it's unfeasible for a SO to have access to the other persons phone...I am saying it is feasible. And with this access, the proper knowledge, tools and devices what I say is true. Whether or not the guy in question is lying or not is immaterial.

It is $5 a month and not hard to set up

Of course...the OP would know she were being 'cyber-followed' though when she saw her bill. There are other ways of tracking that would not be so easy for the OP to discover.
Msg: 184
Posted: 2/7/2010 2:58:08 PM

I'm not arguing. I am trying to let you know you're wrong about what technology is available today for tracking, recording and monitoring peoples activities through their cell phone. You say it's unfeasible for a SO to have access to the other persons phone...I am saying it is feasible
Good gawd, I seem to be running into people who know better than I, what I am saying. 1) Where did I state my beliefs about the capability of technology? 2) Why are we sidetracking to the topics of recording, etc.? 3) Did I understand the OP incorrectly? I thought her BF told her he knew where she had physically gone based on her cell phone!

It is highly unlikely and, IMO, impracticable (infeasible) that he would have access to the technology and its implementation that would allow HIM to succeed at such an endeavor. If, indeed, he had the resouces and/or affiliation by which he was afforded the means to actually track her physical location (OR for that matter, monitor her conversations and/or activities) he would be a fool and likely in violation of the agreement on which his security clearance is based to reveal the methodology.

I still say he was fawking with her!!
 50_50_This_Way_Out
Msg: 185
Posted: 2/7/2010 3:20:17 PM
He sounds like a textbook control freak, and not a very well skilled one at that:

First, he lost any defense for himself when he actually called you to tell you he knew where you were. Sounds like something from a movie on the LifeTime Movie Network.

Second of all, any smart person or person who at least intended on KEEPING his girlfriend, would have never said anything in the first place.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 186
Posted: 2/7/2010 6:41:14 PM

wrong about what technology is available today for tracking, recording and monitoring peoples activities through their cell phone. You say it's unfeasible for a SO to have access to the other persons phone...I am saying it is feasible

I just want to second you on this. There are several options for installing spyware on a phone that will allow you to do all kinds of nasty tracking. In order to protect yourself

1. NEVER allow anyone else to use your phone. It doesn't take that long to download and install the software.

2. Do a simple google search on spy phone. The companies who offer this service do so in plain sight.

3. Consider putting a password on your phone. That is a royal pain when you use it. An alternative might be to simply activate the password when you are in a position where your significant other can access your phone.

Sorry Wally, but Sonoran Swimmer is right on the mark with the capabilities of the technology. As far as it showing up on the target's bill, it doesn't. The spy service handles all of that for a hefty fee to them. The target has no indication they are being monitored.

There are times when I have some sensitive discussions with colleagues. In those cases, we all pop out our batteries due to the possibility of eavesdropping. However, that may not be enough as a previous poster mentioned that some phone models have a backup battery capability. Oh well, I guess it's mini farady cages now (yes they do make them)

Here is an excerpt from the website of one of these services.

ALL-in-ONE Features Summary

Spy Phone – Listen in to the surrounding sounds and conversations around the TP
Sms Interceptor – Receive duplicate copies of all incoming/outgoing text messages
Text Alert – Receive notifications when TP connects to an incoming/outgoing call
Call Through – Listen to both sides of TP and RP conversations
Boot/SIM – Receive notifications when TP changes SIM or turns phone ON
Location Info – Receive location info of TP to nearest phone mast
Reboot – Will refresh software and restart to eliminate problems
Status Report – Receive notifications of the software operating status
PHONE DEAD (listen to surroundings when the TP is turned off) – Coming soon (Free upgrade)
SPY REC (Record surrounding of handset) - Coming soon (Free upgrade)
SPY CALL (Record incoming/outgoing calls) - Coming soon (Free upgrade)

Note the Phone Dead - you can still listen in even when the phone is off.

BTW - the same thing applies to keyloggers on computers. I have found a couple on client machines. To protect against that, make sure that you only allow access to your Windows XP machines through a limited user account.

One other thing. Before anyone does this consider that you will most likely be breaking federal and state law at a felony level even if you put this on your kid's phones. You don't want to spend the next 10 years with a huge, hairy, evil, horny cellmate.
Msg: 187
Posted: 2/7/2010 6:54:31 PM

P.S. You guys really know your stuff! Wow! How does it relate to the premise of the opening post, exactly? How would he know her exact physical location (as claimed) even IF he could locate the nearest cell mast to her phone at a given time? Kindly read my previous post at 187.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 188
Posted: 2/7/2010 7:34:03 PM
I'm not up on all the aspects of tracking. My son noticed something weird with the GPS on our samsung phones. If our wireless access is turned off, the CEP (Circular error) is something like 2 thousand feet. If we turn the wireless on but don't connect to a wireless access point, the GPS accuracy is about 250 feet. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Anyway, it appears that your location is a combination of the nearest mast (and possible triangulation with two or more masts.) and satellite GPS signals. I also tend to think that there might be something going on if you are connected to a wireless because the IP of the wireless would be available and that ***might** lead to a specific geographic location

There was a story a while back where a guy watched a woman take a picture at a park in San Francisco. 2 days later he had a complete profile on her. She took the pic with one of the latest phones. He guessed that she would upload some of the pics which would be geocoded. He found the pics on flickr or some similar service. Once he had that info, he was able to build a whole profile on her.

Fortunately for her, he was not a creepy stalker but rather a writer in one of the tech mags. He published the story but did so in a way that did not compromise her.

Off track here but about 25 years ago when I was real serious in Tae Kwon Do, we had a John Bircher training with us. He would look us in the eye and say "THEY used to only be able to listen to you through your radio. Now THEY can SEE you through your TV".. Every time he did that I thought "Great, we are teaching this guy how to kill with a single kick, what can go wrong here??" Anyway, he wouldn't be too far off the mark today. The feds weren't too happy a while back when they had to admit in court that they were able to listen in via Onstar to bust a mob boss. Gotta run, my coffee pot appears to be listening in.....
 chrisofpa
Msg: 189
Posted: 2/7/2010 7:40:29 PM
Oh, one more thing about the geocoding of phone pics. About 2 weeks ago, there was a flurry on some blogs.

Someone had posted a pic of a couple of lines of coke on their desk with the question of "Should I do these or not? I'm really bored today". I forget the site where he posted the pic. Anyway, the original pic was posted with the geocode data. Someone ran the Lat/long and guess where the location pointed to??

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Now, there are two possibilities here. (1) Someone went to great legnths to tamper with the GPS geocoding of the pic or (2) someone in the west wing is doing coke on company time...

The takeway here is that it would be possible for someone to figure out where you were if you sent a pic from certain phones in that the geocoding data would be in the pic. "Hi Honey, here is me at work" when the geocoding puts you in the lobby of the Happy endings massage parlor.
 nicecowboy7
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:26:02 AM
Beaver I agree with Swimmer its very real. I've seen sites that offer tracking by simply entering a cell phone number. Depending on how often you want an exact location update is what the price of it is based on. If I remenber cause it was a while back when I ran accross the site it was like 200 dollar for like every ten mins. It went up in price from there and it was monthly and could be done at an update every five seconds. I was playing around and wanted to see if it would actually work so I entered my own number to see. When I did it sent me to a place looking for my credit card number. So I didn't pay to find out where I was of course so I don't know for aure but I couldn't imagine anyone charging that much and people paying that much for something that don't work.
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 191
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:25:55 AM
Give it up Beaver ... some people may know (or think they know) a lot of stuff but are apparently unable to understand and comprehend the written word...gawd...anyway, I'm safe for now, I don't have a cell, my TV is unplugged, oh gawd, my radio is on 24/7 but I have this: http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

BlueTaurus
Msg: 192
Posted: 2/8/2010 12:31:59 PM
I understand completely!!!

My ex was tracking me by my cell phone he bought me because mine broke and it was a "gift". He also was looking at my laptop from his office an hour away. This is what I had to do:
Completely wipe out your computer and reboot it. Call your cell phone carrier and get passwords and such changed ASAP! Because I didn't know this, but you can get on the internet and get into your cell and see text messages. I was horrified and after I took care of everything, I feel much better. Its an awful feeling to feel stalked. I hope I have helped you.
 EmotionallyDetached
Msg: 193
Posted: 2/8/2010 12:35:44 PM
Do like Naomi Campbell and break the phone over his head.
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 194
Posted: 2/8/2010 12:40:52 PM
I was on a first date with a guy, and didn't know how to get to the place we were going. I called him to tell him I was running late... next thing I know he's tracking me. I don't know what they have, but there is some little device that does that. My phone didn't have GPS that I was aware of, but who knows.

Needless to say he creeped me out and I never saw him anymore. Tracking is weird. I'm a girl, not an endangered porpoise.
 nicecowboy7
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2010 5:04:55 PM
Well although I'm not sure how easy it is to track someone elses phone. I do know that the telenav on my Iphone is pretty dead on accurate. So there is a way to triangulate your exact location with in just a few feet. So all this tower talk is a bunch of silly bs.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 196
Posted: 2/8/2010 5:44:56 PM
Eyeofthecamera.

WOW,, that was an excellent and informative post - Thanks

Also, one other thing to consider.. If you have something like EZpass, that provides a pretty good record of your comings and goings if you use toll roads. There was a local case recently where a guy got nailed in a divorce proceeding for boinking his gf. The expass records became part of the proceedings and showed he was on the wrong (or right) side of the river.

One nasty thought. If it ever hit the fan, grab your EzPass and stick in on the trailer of a tractor trailer. People will be looking for you in iowa while you are in Maine. :)

Gotta run- I'm going to read up on Faraday cages. ...
Msg: 197
Posted: 2/8/2010 5:53:36 PM

How does it relate to the premise of the opening post, exactly?

What ChrisofPA and I say is relevant in that it supports the supposition that such tracking is possible.
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 198
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:08:46 PM
Holy Shit there's a lot of geeks on the net...
Msg: 199
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:29:34 PM

Holy Shit there's a lot of geeks on the net...

Sarah makes one more...
Don't blame the geeks for being smart, and I won't blame the idiots for being stupid.
 ellena.
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:15:24 PM
Yeah Zekestone, I have always hated that song.since it first came out.
I like the Naomi Canpbell twist hitting him on the head w/ the cell phone. I would add , hit him really hard.
These posts are scary. I didn't know all this could happen.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What if you were being tracked by your cell phone?