Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman won't tell me her last name      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 larissan04
Msg: 155
Woman won't tell me her last namePage 12 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
oh this is a simple one. she is married and doesn't want you to google her. seriously, she's married, and men do this too...when they are married!
 Archangel_07
Msg: 156
Woman won't tell me her last name
Posted: 9/13/2011 10:16:37 PM
slow your role op,
you guys are just getting to know each other part of dating. Why do you want to know her last name so badly?
 smokincigars
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 2:07:46 AM
OP, either the lady is just being cautious until she knows you better, or she is hiding something. Let's work from the second assumption for now.

(Btw, are you certain the first name she gave you is her real first name? I'd say that's unlikely since she could easily make up a last name too, but I'm trying to cover all the bases.)

Why would she not want you to know her last name? Possibilities that immediately come to mind are: 1) She is married or in a relationship with someone else, and doesn't want to risk you learning this; 2) she is a public figure whose name (but not face) is well known, such as a high-profile attorney, and she wants to be sure you are interested in her for herself; 3) her family name is either prestigious or infamous, and she wants to make sure you aren't influenced by her family until you know each other better.

Now, back to the first assumption: she just doesn't know you well enough yet to give her full name; perhaps she hasn't given you her home address or telephone number either. She may have good reason for being cautious, such as a previous stalker or identity thief. In this case, she doesn't want to be deceptive, just very careful so early in a relationship. After she knows you better (assuming the relationship progresses well), she will give you whatever personal information she is comfortable sharing with you.

Would I be concerned? You bet I would, it's somewhat creepy and makes me wonder just what the big secret is. But if I liked her well enough to see her three times and want a fourth date, I don't think I'd make a big issue of it just yet. (I'd certainly keep my eyes open for any indications that something is amiss, however.)
 Shay-Ley
Msg: 158
Posted: 9/14/2011 4:04:03 AM
Maybe she has a real bad past and/or just got released from prison .... talk about a little spice in life living life in the edge with her - who needs a name anyway
 sexymind85
Msg: 159
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:09:21 AM
You obviously give her the creeper vibe. That's all.
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 160
Posted: 9/14/2011 2:41:09 PM

I already have the philosophy of never trust a woman with a pulse and this just reaffirms it.

Spoken like a true mysognist. I bet that you are reeling them in eh?

On topic: I can only speak for myself when I say that I won't give my last name either to someone that I'm not interested in. However if I am, then I have no problem. Search my name all you want, there isn't anything to find. Except for FB and my privacy setting are strict.

There is a woman who has the same name as me, who happens to live in the same province also. Its her name that always comes up in google....lol.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 161
Posted: 9/14/2011 3:44:27 PM
Just keep making up a new last name for her, every time you see her, each more ridiculous than the last.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 4:03:57 PM
Men on the internet, heck no I don't give them my last name, even if we've dated a few times.

Quick google leads you right to my door. It's a safety issue for women and any respectful man would and will understand that.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 5:52:32 PM

Men on the internet, heck no I don't give them my last name, even if we've dated a few times.

Quick google leads you right to my door. It's a safety issue for women and any respectful man would and will understand that.

Yeah... right... Look if he has dated you a couple of times then he has your phone number. Which he can use to do a reverse look-up of you name, address and everything else. If he has been out on a couple of dates with you then he may have walked you to your car, peeked at your license plate and voila, has access to your name, address and all.

This is really poor thinking if you honestly believe that keeping your last name from a person that you have dated a number of times is protecting you. The fact is that if he wanted to do something to you, then YOU ARE ALREADY IN HIS PRESENCE. HE CAN ROB RAPE AND KILL YOU AT HIS LEISURE AS HE DOES NOT NEED YOUR LAST NAME TO HARM YOU. If you are really that fearful and mistrustful of the man, then why would you date him at all, much less more than twice?
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 164
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:52:59 PM
Well canam, Google will not get you to my door. My phone number is restricted and does not come with an address either, so reverse look up does not work in my case. And to do a criminal search on someone, you at least need a last name and definately a birthdate.

Does that make me feel protected? Yes.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:08:01 PM

If he has been out on a couple of dates with you then he may have walked you to your car, peeked at your license plate and voila, has access to your name, address and all.

But you have no control over this particular area. So how protected are you?

This is really poor thinking if you honestly believe that keeping your last name from a person that you have dated a number of times is protecting you. The fact is that if he wanted to do something to you, then YOU ARE ALREADY IN HIS PRESENCE. HE CAN ROB RAPE AND KILL YOU AT HIS LEISURE AS HE DOES NOT NEED YOUR LAST NAME TO HARM YOU. If you are really that fearful and mistrustful of the man, then why would you date him at all, much less more than twice?

The remainder of my point which you did not respond to? Again it is just a silly point of view. You are not in fact any safer by not providing your last name. The truth is that if he wants your info, then he does not need your last name to get it. If you feel that unsafe then why would you be dating men from the internet more than twice?

Besides, I am Canadian and I am familiar with Sylvan Lake. It has a population of about ten thousand people so really this is a silly conversation that you are having.
You ain't hiding from anyone in your town. Heck, my high school had over two thousand kids in it. You town is five of my high schools.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 166
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:14:54 PM

If you are really that fearful and mistrustful of the man, then why would you date him at all, much less more than twice?

Amen.

I think fearing and mistrusting everyone is a trend we're in right now.

When everyone else is a boogeyman; your own faults seem to just....disappear!
 Ladylove76
Msg: 167
Posted: 10/5/2011 1:59:46 PM
This just happened to me. I spent several hours texting and e-mailing and talking on the phone, then went to lunch with the guy. HE wouldn't tell me his last name, so I ended it with him immediately. He said because I am a paralegal, the temptation to look him up would be too great. He wanted me to get to know him first. Sorry, red flag, he's got something to hide.

I have wasted time talking on the phone, texting, e-mailing, chatting, and meeting for lunch only to learn that the guy I have been talking to/ having lunch with is a registered sex offender who just got out of prison. Personally, I have NOTHING to hide. I am NOT a sex offender and you can Google me, pay for a background check, etc. I don't care. I have no skeletons in my closet. If you come to my house, my dogs will bite you and put you in the hospital if you are unwelcome.

Sorry, I'm not dating a guy who won't tell me his last name. Not going to happen. I'm a single mom and I don't want a sex offender in my house. Besides, I've said this a thousand times before as well, dating a person off the net is just as dangerous as meeting someone in Church or a bar. People you meet from anywhere are psychos, liars, and sex offenders.

Dear Lord, please send my one and only soon so I can get out of this dating pool. It's really not fun.
 Maleman999
Msg: 168
Posted: 10/5/2011 6:33:38 PM

I've said this a thousand times before as well, dating a person off the net is just as dangerous as meeting someone in Church or a bar. People you meet from anywhere are psychos, liars, and sex offenders.

And you are on a dating site why? I have a squeaky clean past, and there is no way in Hell I would give you my last name-it's a personal rule of mine not give my name or number to a paranoid psycho. You better got off this site, delete your profile and hide in a closet before one of those evil people get you.
 FionaAbby
Msg: 169
Posted: 10/5/2011 7:11:09 PM
Have you been going on dates, etc? Have you seen her home? Or have you been just "talking" online or emailing back and forth. If you have met, been on dates, etc. I would think her telling you her last name would not be an issue because you have met and are on dates etc. If that is the case, I would be concerned. Maybe she has a lot of debt or something on the circuit court website she doesn't want you to know or she is married or is from a famous family or has a famous last name. Or she is just nuts. Now if you haven't met yet and are still talking, she is just being cautious. I will not date anyone unless I have their first and last name, their phone number and I know a lot about them. Hope that helps. Good luck!
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2011 7:21:19 PM

Now if you haven't met yet and are still talking, she is just being cautious. I will not date anyone unless I have their first and last name, their phone number and I know a lot about them. Hope that helps. Good luck!

But would you give said person your last name?
 Ladylove76
Msg: 171
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:48:19 AM
My point is that people on the web are no more dangerous than people you meet in real life. There is no need for you to be personally attacking me, I have just as much right to express my opinion as anyone else.
 Ladylove76
Msg: 172
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:49:14 AM
My point is that people on the web are no more dangerous than people you meet in real life. There is no need for you to be personally attacking me, I have just as much right to express my opinion as anyone else.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 173
Posted: 6/1/2012 12:52:34 AM
If you have seen her maybe 3 times she is still wary as she can be tracked by her last name. Do you know where she lives for example. If she met you from here then she is prudent to be cautious. I spoke for six weeks with a guy on the phone before meeting him and he didnt know my last name nor even asked for it. He was lying about his and he was married. She may be, as well.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 174
Posted: 6/1/2012 12:55:24 AM
maleman999
I notice you dont have your pic up front. Why is that? You are being your usual obnoxious self. You are on a dating site, why???
 providence75
Msg: 175
Posted: 6/1/2012 4:25:06 PM

Are people that paranoid in this society today not to share a basic bit of their identity with another out of some unfounded fear?

No, people in general are not paranoid. Women in general are not paranoid, but we are cautious and alert. The woman you are seeing is paranoid.

At some point, if it hasn't already, it will turn into a trust issue between the two of you. The real question is: Are you OK with this part of her personality that will likely show up in other areas as well?
 fillyphilly
Msg: 176
Posted: 6/2/2012 9:54:21 AM
Maybe she only has one like Cher and Madonna.
 Fleuron
Msg: 177
Posted: 6/2/2012 11:08:35 AM
Maybe she's wanted by the feds in 16 states and doesn't want you to know and rat on her. This could very well be for your own protection.
 Fleuron
Msg: 178
Posted: 6/2/2012 2:19:34 PM
^^^^^^^^ Loved you in ‘Desperately Seeking Susan.’ : )
 larissan04
Msg: 179
Posted: 6/3/2012 12:17:20 PM
i think that is bs. you have been dating her for 3 weeks and she won't tell you her last name? is she married? is she wanted by the fbi? this is ridiculous. at some point, the walls have to come down, and you should probably not only know their last name but their middle name, too!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman won't tell me her last name