Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman won't tell me her last name      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 101
Woman won't tell me her last namePage 5 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

What's the rush?
What's the wait,

why do so many of you ladies on this thread consider your last name of any importance that it should be withheld if someone was curious,even if that was on hello.

Your not wrong,just terribly wrong for me,I'm just fascinated by these opinions,these forums show how completely different we can be on thoughts.

Wish there was a questions and answer test we could take so we could weed each other out before we start with hello,you know ,something like 20 or 30 powerful questions,like choose A,B,or C and that's after we first see a couple new pics of the person,because I know with me 50% is the physical attraction and the other 50% is are we compatable.I tell you it would only take a few deal breaker wrong "for us only" answers and the person would be ruled out.

Most the psych tests do not help that I've seen,like the one already here the personality test,to bad one test couldn't be simple and effective,sure would save grief.You know even if the person refused to take the test would be a deal breaker wrong answer for me,so even those people are taking a test by not taking the test as far as I'm concerned.

Like I said ,takes a lot of different fish to fill an ocean,so trust in the fact there's always someone that loves you just the way you are.
 sherilyn70
Msg: 102
Woman won't tell me her last name
Posted: 3/11/2009 7:44:21 PM
I don't have a problem with my last name but I sure wouldn't tell some one my address in that short a time span

But if I tell him my last name I AM handing him my address. I own a house. I have absolutely no choice in it the matter, the county I live in lists my information for all to see. Once he has my full name all he has to do is go to their website and plug in my last and first name and there is all of my information right there for him to see.

If he hasn't been to my house yet then he's not getting my last name. I made that rule very quickly after I bought my place and it felt a little strange at first... but it only made sense. After all, I know that when a guy gives me his last name it's the first thing I look up as well. :)

As a single woman that used to live alone with no roommates (I have an SO in the house with me now) it's just not wise to be giving out that much information to a stranger. I've met some pretty psychotic men over my years of dating.
 sherilyn70
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/11/2009 7:53:54 PM

why do so many of you ladies on this thread consider your last name of any importance that it should be withheld if someone was curious,even if that was on hello.

Okay then... can I have your address please? Because that's what you're getting with my last name. Send me an email with it, I bet you'll feel a little differently about it once you realize the actual concequences it can carry. Especially for a woman who could be physically attacked outside her house while coming home from work if the man knows she lives alone.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/11/2009 8:01:39 PM

1. AGAIN, it's not a matter of the last name, it could be a shoe size - it's a matter of someone requiring or asking for something that shouldn't matter. If it's so unimportant, what do you care what it is? Why would it even occur to you? If I don't ask you for any personal info, I shouldn't be required to disclose any. If you volunteer something, that's your choice.

2. AGAIN, not all women are speaking from personal experience; most of us find it odd that it would be a topic or issue in the first place. It never was something that became a spinoff of an actual spending time together occurence for a lot of women here.

3. The whole sex and/or couch thing has nothing to do with her living room and shouldn't happen generally unless she's ok with that situation.
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/11/2009 8:25:37 PM
Sure no problem ,may I write your personal profile I'd be happy to give you my phone number and my address .Believe it or not everyone is not going to drive over and attack you in your yard,and what stops this person from doing that on the 5th date or a month into it.

Life is full of risk like you have more realistic danger driving your car.

Look when I grew up a girl gave you her phone number immediately,you called,sometimes only to be on the phone long enough to make a date and get her address,you then drove over and picked her up and took her all around in your car at night,then you brought her home,and if she liked you she asked if you would like to come in,you did,she offered you a drink or two,you tried your best lines,then she said she had to get up early for work,and she kicked you out.Millions and millions of people repeated this night after night,and it was not a perfect world then,lots of bad people were around but everyone wasn't extremely paranoid.I dated like this for about 15 years and now in this day an age everyone is so freaked out that everybody could be a killer or a rapist,its out of control and its unfounded as for as the numbers go for the amount of victims in my day and the amount of victims in today's world.

Sure everyone be safe be cautious but don't be ridiculous.Girls back then carried mace,and if they thought someone was getting to drunk or weird or the hands were all over the place,they took a taxi home.Many that are freaked are young and never dated like everyone of us older people did,some of these people dated decades like that.

When you say and others say there are a lot of weirdos out there,many times I hear the guy was a weirdo because he asked for your phone number after one email,that's not the mark of a weirdo,lots of girls offer their phone when you say hello and you haven't even asked them for it,because they do not like to type and they are phone people not typists everyone does not have the fear,some could care less because its just a phone number.
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/11/2009 8:41:41 PM
DJCHICKIE401, you say most woman I say some I have dated many ladies over the years that say ask me anything your interested in and I will try to answer it and thats because I search them out.Your only expressing you have different opinions from some of the others and me,so why can't girls and guys talk this frankly in there ads,it would save so much time on wrong picks.

Please this is not an insult ,I enjoy your opinions and you very entitled to them ,and you are so perfect for many other types of men that agree with your every word.but by reading how you feel in just two times answering I'd easily know you were not my type,we're against grain.This is so fine too,we cannot be compatible with everyone,that might be weird,huh.I'm confident that if another man reads your answers hes going to say,"God,I love the girl,listen what shes saying,I totally agree with every word " ,That's whats so cool about people ,we all have many that on on our every word.

Sure wish everyone wrote a lot more detailed profile,one learns so much more then.Its true they say a picture is worth a thousand words,but think a thousand words is so much more valuable.

All you that differ from me are such awesome beautiful people,we just disagree on some basic things,that's cool isn't it ?
 zenelmntl1
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/11/2009 9:52:44 PM
I haven't told my guy my last name but I know his. What's in a name...a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.. to paraphrase a wise man.
 sherilyn70
Msg: 108
Posted: 3/12/2009 3:18:19 AM
Oregon, no offense really... but the times have changed since your described your ideal dating world. That is not how it works anymore. With technology and crime increasing tremendously since then security has to change. I bet you also used to leave your car doors unlocked and possibly even your house door as well back then. When you grew up all the girl could do was give you her number, there were no other options available. Now there are many many other ways to communicate. With technology I can tell you every speeding ticket you've had, if anyone has ever filed charges or complaints on you with the police, if you've ever been married or divorced, where you live and the value of your home, etc. It's all right there at my fingertips now and a resourceful person can get it all for free.

I can tell you at least 2 stories where my life did become threatened and I had to call the police... all because I made the mistake of giving out too much personal information too soon. Mace isn't going to protect me from someone jumping out from a dark corner and raping me. Mace isn't going to protect me from a gun. Have you ever been raped? There are a lot of crazy men that think they're entitled to something they are not, just because I gave them the time of day. When I don't accept their offers they can become rude, aggressive and sometimes violent. I'm glad that you haven't met any of those guys... but trust me they really do exist out there.

When I say that there are a lot of weirdos out there... I'm talking about the aggressive ones. The ones who harass you and find ways to continue to contact you if you remove a path from in front of them. The ones that show up on your doorstep uninvited and the ones that find your work number and start calling you there hoping that your boss will make you talk to them. The ones that because they know your full name find your schedule for running games at a convention and then tell you they're going to be in that town that week and want to bring you a gift (after you told them to never contact you again). I'm talking about the ones that send threatening emails and IMs calling you names because you turned them down and the ones that try to smear your name and scare away any other potential dates away from your house so eventually you'll have no choice but to pick them. How would react if you went to see a new girlfriend and a guy walked up and harassed you... telling you he was with her? Would you not feel a little bit uncomfortable dating her after that?

There may be a lot of nice men out there and good guys, but that doesn't change the fact that there are absolutely some desperate men with no self esteem also out there that will do anything they can to win the girl they decided they want to be with.

Just for reference, I met two of those crazy people on here.
 sherilyn70
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/12/2009 3:25:59 AM

Percieved becomes real when you feel someone is holding back or acting in a way not seen as normal,

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. However if I have yet to not have a man understand why I was hiding it if I actually was upfront and honest about it. It's all about being honest with each other... and if you're not ready to give out personal information then they should understand that. If they don't then it makes me suspect they have ulterior motives and may the exact type of person I am trying to protect myself. There is no reason they have to know that information after just a few dates.
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 110
Posted: 3/12/2009 8:22:47 AM
Thank you for taking the time to reply back.For you ,you fear the danger all around and dating should be a fun and comfortable thing to do,so its seems for you to feel safe in the process you doing now what you need to do,and I hope you stay safe.

There are different ways of living life,and who is right,its just a choice we make I guess.While you practice dating your way the lady that contacted me a week ago started her letter with her number,and I sometimes offer mine as a convenience to any of them maybe second email,tell them its only if your not the letter type.Many ladies do as you,many as this lady I spoke of.

I understand everything you say,and if you noticed my age you would see I had started dating in maybe 1972-73,it was not the perfect world,we had the Zodiac Killer,Charles Manson,serial killers,in fact there was nothing dark ages about that era,you would have never safely walked Harlem,Watts,personal crime was everywhere.What we did not have was that most those farm community,small towns were pretty safe,now they have meth like everywhere else.Drugs,we had all the drugs and drug crazies,people were robbing houses for drug habits.Everyone dated during this time same for the 80's.The world was not like the Brady Bunch.We locked our doors to the house and the car.Pedophiles,rapists and the lot were all around.

My point is don't think there was anything safe when millions of people dated by picking a stranger girl up at her house,its that we did not allow it to be so paranoid,well what some call cautious.Girls will still offer me their phone number on hello and others will not,the only difference now is a man needs to adapt to this extreme,and I might add if after three weeks of dating,then you realized you never got her last name,so asked for the ladies last name and then she refused to give it,we would have thought she was a nut.

As for these guys that stalk,well you do what was always done,put in a restraining order,you block there phone number,you made it sound like this world is overrun with madness and each and every soul should be in fear of all these things.I respect your thought but see to world differently and so do the ladies I date.

9-11 attacks were done on World Trade Center and the Pentagon .Most any person you talked too was freaked to fly because terrorists were all around us,there goin to get us.This is what I mean when earlier I stated unrealistic fear and that fear does not rule my life.We have 30,000 flights a day and like 4-5 planes had the terrorists on them and they took out a handful of blocks and a corner of the Pentagon but left hundreds of millions of square miles of real estate unharmed and left 28,994 planes untouched.I am not discounting the harm they caused,its was horrendous,my point is such a minute trace of land in America was harmed and a minute trace of the planes in the air were affected.I do not feel so unlucky in my life that I would be that needle in the haystack rather in this case the atom in the haystack that would be unlucky enough to be they're next victim.I would have flown that day had I needed to and not worried.The odds were so against a person in this country getting attacked by a terrorist,there are like 220 million people,the odds are extremely against it,you being to one.We can live in fear or we can enjoy every minute,after all I vacation in third world countries by myself,and run into some of the nicest people in the world.We choose how we want to live.
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/12/2009 5:02:56 PM
I feel for you Bob,Definitely the problem was 100% hers,that's such strange behavior,she acted like she was 15 and never dated before,on the other hand I wonder what drug she was on ? A classic story indeed.
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 112
Posted: 3/14/2009 8:45:03 AM

if you're not ready to give out personal information then they should understand that.

I would understand it perfectly, and accept that the person who is "emotionally closed" in dating, is more interested in "protecting" herself from her fears, than in developing intimacy. There would be no point in "badgering" someone for information. If it isn't freely given, it's useless. However, I would not continue to date someone, if conversation and "revealing ourselves to each other" isn't a free flowing, natural process.
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 113
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:24:57 AM

There would be no point in "badgering" someone for information. If it isn't freely given, it's useless. However, I would not continue to date someone, if conversation and "revealing ourselves to each other" isn't a free flowing, natural process.
You made me remember something about some of those girls where it felt like a personal tid bit needed to be pried from their lips yet they would actually have no problem asking me endless personal questions and I was expected to answer each one because after all how else would they get to know me.Its almost as if a man should understand why a few ladies try to keep their life a secret to protect themselves but the man should just be an open book .This trust thing is a two way street. This sharing is a two way street,the whole act is stalled until she gives.

Sometimes when a few of these ladies claim guys stalk and harass them after the fact that's really up to interpretation and Ifeel the few I dealt with caused 100% of their problem by giving false hints,or telling half truths or misleading you when they didn't like you.You know, in the end them saying well I was afraid to tell you the truth or I had no choice but mislead you,because .......is a terrible bad excuse.

Example;
Please write me again she says,so you do,a long thoughtful letter,then a second email about 5 days later because there was no response,you say,hey guess your going through a busy time,shall I give you some space.Another 3 days later,you write are you OK,hope everything is Ok with your family.Then finally a letter comes to you saying sorry, forgive me ,I'll write tomorrow or the next day,promise.You write back,no worries here,thanks for writing back,you write back back a week later and say,its been quiet on your end,hope things are working out for you,got a good ear if you ever need a friend to talk to.You try another letter 5 days later, a hey are you still around,then finally you write 4-5 days later,you write "I can take a hint and I guess this must just be a bad time for dating or you just have no interest,so I am going to wish you luck and say goodbye,hope you find what your looking for.

Seems before she was extremely to busy to write but now only needs 10 minutes to fire back with a smart a s s letter how "well if you feel that way about it ,good riddings,if you hadn't of continued to harrass me and bomb me with so many emails maybe it could have worked,next time you'll learn that ladies don't like to be rushed and prodded ".....................................Huh,well I have had a handful of situations like that,they caused their own problem I felt,if in the communication process they hadn't of been acting like a 14 yr.old ,talk to the hand,type girl,and had treated this as an adult and hadn't mislead the whole process that wouldn't of happened,especially when at first I said shall I back off and give you breathing room....that was her cue ,I f a man is supposed to play these childish games then he would have had to have been raised that way or he will only proceed with manners and will not read between hidden lines everytime hes told something.Ones that hid their info also acted as a child on most every other aspect of the dating process.

Thank god most are not like that,they are indeed a small minority. Now you know she told many then that men stalk her and this further explains why she is almost required to act the guarded way she acts.hmmmmmm.

Lesson learned,when you first feel there is a need to ask,"shall I give you some breathing room and go away"......don't ask ,just do it,because had she been considerate she would have not made you ask .A polite well raised lady would have kept you abreast with apologies and don't give up on me,I'm usually not like this,let me have a couple weeks if you would be so nice.Your so sweet to be patient,I'm worth the wait,just got hit with some unexpected personal issues.

I have had ones that came back just like that and I was extremely patient,was not a minute in the dark and they did as they said they would,they did nothing extraordinary,they just acted like an adult with manners.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/14/2009 12:04:30 PM
Another hid behind a rubber plant for 30 minutes in a restaurant and told me "I'm not sure I trust you yet".

****Snort****

~OT~ I'll never understand people who are truly fearful attempting to meet/date via online. Why go through the mental stress and anguish of something you clearly don't trust? That makes NO sense to me. If you don't know how to safely meet/date from the net? DON'T DO IT!!! If you are uncomfortable with someone, don't meet. Good grief, it's not like splitting an atom or successfully completing a moon walk. JMO
 sherilyn70
Msg: 115
Posted: 3/15/2009 1:53:03 PM

You made me remember something about some of those girls where it felt like a personal tid bit needed to be pried from their lips yet they would actually have no problem asking me endless personal questions and I was expected to answer each one because after all how else would they get to know me.Its almost as if a man should understand why a few ladies try to keep their life a secret to protect themselves but the man should just be an open book .This trust thing is a two way street. This sharing is a two way street,the whole act is stalled until she gives.

I agree completely. It is a two way street and I do not expect a man to give me his last name either. I've already admitted that the first thing I do with it is check to see if he owns a home. I also check for court records and occasionally police reports. I've been known to google them as well and look for places they post on a regular basis. Once I have information from a person, especially from online, I make sure they are who they way they are because far too many people lie and play games. You wouldn't believe how many married men I've caught on dating sites that way. :)

Please write me again she says,so you do,a long thoughtful letter,then a second email about 5 days later because there was no response,you say,hey guess your going through a busy time,shall I give you some space.Another 3 days later,you write are you OK,hope everything is Ok with your family.Then finally a letter comes to you saying sorry, forgive me ,I'll write tomorrow or the next day,promise.You write back,no worries here,thanks for writing back,you write back back a week later and say,its been quiet on your end,hope things are working out for you,got a good ear if you ever need a friend to talk to.You try another letter 5 days later, a hey are you still around,then finally you write 4-5 days later,you write "I can take a hint and I guess this must just be a bad time for dating or you just have no interest,so I am going to wish you luck and say goodbye,hope you find what your looking for.

That's just a person that can't figure out how to tell you no. That is a not a person being guarded. I think the problem there is you didn't take the social que and handle it gracefully and just disappear.

If I'm really withholding information because of comfort or security reasons then I will be honest and forthright about that. I will also help them understand at what point that information will become something I have no problems sharing and if I see us heading in that direction. It is absolutely all about communication. Just because someone doesn't want to tell you something isn't a reason to say "no, I"m not going to tell you" and then not at least explain to you why. If you have any hope of ever being an equal or a partner with them then the communication needs to be there and they need to be able to express themselves a little bit better than a 2 year old does.
 BuggyAboutLove
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/16/2009 12:11:15 AM
Maybe you should consider leaving with your dignity still intact?

She may be afraid of you. She might be married. She could be a celebrity of sorts. She may be afflicted with a strong case of paranoia. Whatever the case, she has an inability to be honest and you should run, baby, run.

You take care now, y'hear?

Hugs,
Leah
 BuggyAboutLove
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/16/2009 12:15:50 AM
Imtodamnice, I read your profile and found it very amusing. But the truth is, honesty is crucial. Do you not agree?

You take care now, y'hear?

Hugs,
Leah
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/16/2009 7:23:39 AM
I am amazed at how many are thinking 3 weeks of dating is a blink of time.Maybe it karma or something,I'm so used to a lady volunteering their number up front and 3 weeks is so long of dating we're usually sleeping together,of course I have waited much,much longer,but to think people are still stuck on giving up a last name 3 weeks later,wow.This is why these forums serve a valid purpose to see others think so differently than the ones you usually date.

I still say,if you are a person like me and the other is a person like is one that shocks me so,what more proof do you need that you are not even close to a match.This is also why its important to act how you were raised,act how you always are,act with all the caution or lack there of,so you will send out the right bait to catch the "correct" fish,for you.I will not say I'm right about this,just right for me.All of you are to cautious,but continue to be,because its how you are,and its only to cautious for me,not for others,so keep sending out "Your" signals.Its all about catching the right fish.You only need to catch one.If you fished better,then you could stop doing the constant catch and release,you could catch a keeper.
 sherilyn70
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/16/2009 4:26:56 PM

I am amazed at how many are thinking 3 weeks of dating is a blink of time.Maybe it karma or something,I'm so used to a lady volunteering their number up front and 3 weeks is so long of dating we're usually sleeping together,of course I have waited much,much longer,but to think people are still stuck on giving up a last name 3 weeks later,wow.This is why these forums serve a valid purpose to see others think so differently than the ones you usually date

It all depends on how busy your life is or their life is. Do they have kids, do you have kids, etc? Do you have prior obligations with friends/family before you met? After 2 weeks I normally know if I want someone to stick around in my life. I can think of one time that my 3rd date ended on the same weekend as our first one, we kept meeting up every day after the first it went so well. However there have been some men that were just so busy (work or kids) that I felt like I barely knew them after a month.
 oregonmeetsmesa
Msg: 120
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:12:41 PM
Those are good points,but still everything I said still applies for my life,never mattered whether they had kids or 3 jobs and college,some either don't worry about such things or they do,too busy never had a thing to do with someone giving me there number unsolicited on hello,and some of those even have there first and last as their handle.

Your totally fine with your method,there are those that will admire you and be attracted to you because of it and they will think exactly the same as you do.
 BuggyAboutLove
Msg: 121
Posted: 3/16/2009 10:52:42 PM
forallintents: You're very funny, but I think this man's case is extreme. It sounds to me like she is freshly out of a psychiatric hospital or some such thing and should not be trying to get out there and meet people. I can't understand her need to keep her last name private, and the guy has reason to feel frustrated after having gone out with her several times. Not wanting to tell him where she lives is something that makes all the sense in the world.
 sherilyn70
Msg: 122
Posted: 3/17/2009 3:05:25 AM
I can't understand her need to keep her last name private, and the guy has reason to feel frustrated after having gone out with her several times. Not wanting to tell him where she lives is something that makes all the sense in the world.

I don't get it... you just said she shouldn't have to tell him where she lives, yet then you say she should give him her last name.

Just go to the auditors page and plug in the last and first name... and there's their address if they own a house. A good number of cities/counties have this information online in this day and age. Google your county name plus the words auditor or property search and you'll probably find it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that one guy I went out with (just once) did show up on my doorstep using just that method. Thank god he was harmless, he was just trying to be nice and surprise me. But I had never given him my address. I had accidently sent him a forwarded email from work that had my last name on it. We never went out again because of that.

For Mesa, AZ go to http://www.maricopa.gov/Assessor/ParcelApplication/Default.aspx

For Knoxville, TN go to http://www.knoxcountyauditor.org/Search.aspx?ActiveTab=Owner

For Columbus, OH go to http://franklincountyoh.metacama.com/do/searchByOwner

All of those allow you to search by last name.
 california tipton
Msg: 123
Posted: 3/23/2009 4:26:52 PM
You know - I never thought about this scenario - so - I googled myself. HOLY MOLY!!!!

It is true - you can find out stuff about people on that thing. Whatever is in print on the net is coming up on Google.

Good point FriendlyFreeSpirit. You certainly taught me something.

Now - a word to OP - the few times that I did not disclose my last name was simply the fact that I knew the romance was never gonna bloom. In other words - it was a conscious choice and it was made out of self preservation. One thing I NEVER EVER do is to let a date know where I live until I am completely comfortable with him. It is a rule that has served me very well.
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 124
Posted: 5/16/2009 12:52:30 PM

he few times that I did not disclose my last name was simply the fact that I knew the romance was never gonna bloom.

Essentially the point that many have made. Something is "off" if you're seeing someone for 6 weeks, yet he doesn't know your last name. It could be that she's married, has a "problem" with the criminal justice system, or just isn't into you. In any case, it's never been a big deal, but it always is known, one way or another, by the time you get into anything that looks like a dating relationship.
 privat33r
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2009 1:07:34 PM
Its not paranoid. With the internet we've unprecedented abilities to hound others. Maybe she's history with guys dropping by her work, or sending email to her parents. Lots of folk have oddball methods they use to try to control contacts; its a bad sign, but once you get had a flurry of unappreciated and threatening phone-calls from an ex the no-last-name syndrome may make more sense.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman won't tell me her last name