Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tealwood
Msg: 291
Fear of dating single mothersPage 18 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

Because they are "yes" women (insert rolly eye here)

I happen to know some very successful proffesional Japanese woman...further thing from being a "yes" woman and they still retain a difference or retain their being female outside of the proffesional setting....or even better perhaps some of the Parisian woman who are very good at standing up on their own without loosing their femininity or allure of being a woman. Always found the Parisian woman very easily understand the differences between the sexes without feeling they have to butch up so they could be successful.
 VSky21
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Fear of dating single mothers
Posted: 11/17/2012 11:35:15 AM
Peter_Hungus is hilarious! lol I'm a single mother of two kids, 7 years old and 3 years old, and if I found myself in scenario #2 with a single father...I would eventually just leave as well. It's interesting to know what some people think the single parent household life is like though lol If my life was like Petes Scenario #2...jeez, I would be stressed out! I know a few households where it's like that but the households aren't with single parents...the parents have been together for years or are married. I'm sure there are single parents with households like that as well. I love my life, my kids are great, respectful, polite, playful, funny and a joy to be around. Lots of stereotypes out there for single parents---It's very simple people--If you dont want to date someone because they're a parent regardless if they're attractive, intelligent, independant, happy, well off, etc etc then DONT. Single parents, female and male, have to decide if they want to date someone who doesn't have kids/never wants kids or if we rather date someone with a kid(kids). Believe me, there are definitely pros and cons for single parents to consider as well! Pete-- all working people(male and female) have helped single parents through "philathropy" --those forced federal and state taxation; EBT, WIC and subdises you speak of--not only single mothers benefit from that, single fathers do as well! but that's a different forum all together lol That's just how it is if you live here in the good 'ol USA. I'm sure everyone has gripes about it but it is what it is.
---
OP: You're 23...you're an adult. Not sure why you would need a public opinion of who to date...everyone has their own opinions based off their own experiences. Some will say NEVER date a single parent EVER EVER EVER! and then proceed to scare you senseless with horror stories and all the negative possibilities and some will say ABSOLUTELY date a single parent, they are the BEST, hands down!! Do it or your immature etc The fact is your an adult...date who you want. If you meet a great girl and she has a kid, give it a try. If you meet a great girl and she's childless, give it a shot. If you don't want kids right now, then be safe, and dont have kids. If you don't think you can deal/interact with someone elses child then dont bother going that route. It's really not a tough life decision...I think you're worrying too much about nothing. Until you figure things out, maybe it's best to focus on yourself and get your ducks in a row. Good luck!
 Peter_Hungus
Msg: 293
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2012 1:31:05 PM
It's interesting to know what some people think the single parent household life is like

Vsky, that wasn't me theorizing, that was a first hand account of a experience I was in. I liken my self to a survivor of the Donner Party, who lived and recanted his tale of a harrowing ordeal.

MrWrong1978, I didnt realize how close we live together. I had a rental property on Smith street a few blocks from Salisbury University. Perhaps your over the hill for dating college students, but that place is crawling
with pu...young women. I would recommend you relocating to a different area as was mentioned to me on another thread. The only available women in our area are generally obese since that epidemic has stricken our area more so than others and perhaps because all the land is flat. I would recommend western Maryland near Cumberland or close to the Appalachian Mountains. Most women there have more conservative/ Christian leaning that value family. And although this may sound crass and this is just between Mano to Mano but women there have taunt v6ginas which I attribute to routinley traversing mountainous terran. Also I just wanted to say I have nothing againest overweight/ obese people, it's just I personally cannot get aroused by such. (lest if I've been consuming beverages with significant quanities of Ethanol )

OP, I want to point out as well is date who makes you happy. If single moms with/ a certain amount of kids is too much for you to handle then I would say avoid them. Single parents have enough on thier plate and if you cannot handle it everyone suffers for it, espcially the kids. I'm man enough to know/omit how much I can handle and don't waste others time if I can't. Don't fear single moms, fear being in a Turkish prison.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 294
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:02:43 PM
peter: small world man! i dont live too far from the university myself. plenty of college girls around here, but i hevent been looking for a fling since i was in my mid 20's. besides, i am kinda old for most of those girls now lol.

trust me, id LOVE to relocate, but i own my home, and its just not financially feasible for me to purchase another at the moment. this area just keeps going further and further downhill each year too. its a shame, because when i was younger, i actually used to like this town. not any longer.
 VSky21
Msg: 295
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2012 11:20:51 PM
Peter_Hungus, I said "people" not you personally. You had a "harrowing ordeal" dating a single parent--just like I know single parents who have had a "harrowing ordeal" dating men/women who are childless. It goes both ways. I find your outlook on single parents very amusing....just like I find it amusing to know some of my friends who are single parents and avoid men/women who are childless. I think it's silly. Everyone has preferences that sometimes are made from their bad experiences. I'm open to both sides myself. Maybe because I haven't had any bad experiences with dating childless men or men who are single parents. I admit dating single dads is something I lean towards because we both have a kid or kids that we adore and love. Something that makes us relate off the top but I don't refuse to talk to men who are childless either. I think the grouping that someone does...rather it be grouping single parents, childless men/women, race,gender, poor, rich etc etc...is just small minded and gives stereotypes more power. It would be similar to me saying "I had a bad experience with a (fill in the race) man and I refuse to date any men in that race-- EVER again! That race of men are pigs and they treat women like dirt on the bottom of their shoes and etc"...same thing. Even though alot of people out there can figure out that you can't group people based off one bad experience..sad to say that some people can't wrap their minds around it. The people that have figured it out just sit back and slowly shake our heads when we hear or read such things and as much as we may try to point certain things out, at the end of the day, people will believe what they want and feed into the stereotypes and empower these stereotypes. I'm just glad I don't have any hang ups. Thank goodness for that!
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 296
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:21:13 AM
Well said VSky. My viewpoint is exactly the same. I am open to dating childless men or single fathers...I also lean towards the single fathers because of the same outlook. Of course Ive had some not so great dealings with both, but, I guess I just dont let them turn into hang ups. being burned (take your verbage pick) define who I date. Im not THAT jaded ;)
 VSky21
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2012 6:03:57 PM
Rivergirl--exactly!
 Drawesome32
Msg: 298
Posted: 11/20/2012 10:58:52 PM
vsky21: the scenario that peter described to you detailed a relationship with a single mom isnt exactly a rarity, its what ive come to expect. ive dated quite a few single moms so i have some experience with this. he hit the nail on the head of what its like from a mans perspective. perhaps the single moms dont see it, as men arent generally so open with their feelings and complaints, but thats pretty much how it goes down.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >