Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 33
Have all the really older guys given up?Page 2 of 51    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Happy Birthday, Shirley! You're a beautiful lady, and I hope that you find a good, decent older man!

Best of luck!

Peace and Blessings
 moraima
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Have all the really older guys given up?
Posted: 1/10/2009 4:41:45 PM
"Maybe you should go and hang out at Lowes, Home Depot or a local diner and see how that works out for you . . "

Ok, I truly give up if that is the option to meeting men. Local diner...........ah!!!!!!!!!!!!
 PcolaSteve
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 5:03:19 PM
I didn't gie up. I seem to attact for the most part, psychos, and other's have notice this. I am not above dating, but I want someone I can relate ot, not escape from.
 LearGirl
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/10/2009 6:14:43 PM
Amen!! Can't tell you how many continue to email even when it is suggested we meet. I'm about to give up!
 Tarkas3
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/10/2009 7:42:46 PM
Shirley, I will never tire of the company of a good woman... even on my death bed.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/10/2009 7:54:29 PM
Hi Shirley,

I am an about to turn 67 DWPM and just returned from a wonderful two week singles group tour. The trip had a female to male ratio of 5.5:1 which tends to be the reality of women to men on these trips. I had a great time hanging out with two funny attractive 55 year old ladies and a hot 40 year old. These women reside on the other side of the country from me but we will stay in touch. If they lived closer I would consider dating two of them. Many of the unhappy frumpy-dumpy women in their 50's had seriously bad attitudes toward men; their attitudes came out so I avoided them like I avoid STDs, prophylactically. So did all of the other men. The other men hung out with the happy, fun women. From what I experience, see and hear if you take care of yourself, are happy and friendly, truly enjoy men and get out where you can meet good men, you will eventually find one. Stay upbeat and positive, go to the gym, eat right and go out! You have a great profile and I can see men seeking your company.
 moraima
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 8:18:42 PM
"Many of the unhappy frumpy-dumpy women in their 50's had seriously bad attitudes toward men;"

Just like the overweight men who blame every women for everything bad that happened in their marriages.

Blah, blah.....................some many damaged people.

Easier to just remember the happy marriages we had and forget about the terminally damaged.
 abby156
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/10/2009 8:19:11 PM
My take upon this is, I am ok to be alone. Really it does not bother me. It would just be icing on the cake to find one to grow older with and enjoy eachothers company.
 starstuff942
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/10/2009 8:40:00 PM
I agree that going to the local "diner", you may meet someone. I live in a small town and quite a few of the retired men in the community hang out every morning at the Dunkin Donuts and in the next town over they hang at the local McDonald's and there are others in the small local restaurants.

Now, if I could find a place where the men in their late 50s early 60s hang out! LOL
 lbiker
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/10/2009 9:04:06 PM
Hi Shirley

You LOOK MARVELOUS...Dont you dare give up..I have several friends, older gentlemen (60-80) that are in the local gym every morning from 5:00 until 10.
They go and do thier workout, and then drink coffee at the small diner.. I have other friends that walk in the malls every morning usually around 6 or 7. Then they meet at a place, usually in the middle of the mall, for coffee.
So I think if I were you..I would check out the local gyms, coffee houses, and churches have several single workshops and meetings.
I dont think they have given up, I dont think they know where to meet ladies. At least that is what they tell me. And the computer is ok, but they prefer face to face.

Hope this works for you

Lbiker
 moraima
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 9:12:30 PM
"quite a few of the retired men in the community hang out every morning at the Dunkin Donuts and in the next town over they hang at the local McDonald's and there are others in the small local restaurants. "

You say that like it is a good thing. I would be giving a wide (boredom) birth to men who "hang out" at such places. I spend enough time trying to explain to them why we wouldn't enjoy each others company.

Being a couple isn't the end all and be all. If you have nothing in common, run screaming.
 Sharon4now
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/11/2009 7:32:19 AM
So what is that different media to meet new people that is more favorable or comfortable? I thought this was the new and different media?
 Sharon4now
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/11/2009 7:34:52 AM
Funny but that has been my experience too! I thought this was more than an "email buddy" site--too bad you live so far away! Sharon
 charleyxray
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/11/2009 12:37:00 PM

As men age do they just give up wanting the company of a woman? The few I've met are only interested in someone taking care of them. I've been there and done that and am ready to just have fun.

I can only speak for myself but what man in his right mind would want to give up the company of a compatible woman who wants to have fun?
 ladyc4
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/11/2009 1:03:35 PM

Nah. They're just takin' a nap.
Cindy O
 winernotreally
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/11/2009 1:39:33 PM
Good on you!

I agree with the advice about men your age range not being terribly computer savvy, in general. Most of them probably 'retired' before computers were a major requirement in their jobs and they may not 'trust' it as its a 'foreign' concept.

If you've got the time and wherewithal, you could look into 'activity/social groups'...hiking? birdwatching? card games?....try meetup dot com. Granted you may have to 'travel'....though probably only about 1-2 times a month. The hiking group I belong to has many folks of different age ranges and it offers hikes at different levels of expertise...from a walk on level trails through local parks to 11mile/sea level>2500ft elevations!

Also, volunteering comes to mind, if you don't already. When I did some 'work' at my local food bank, I was one of the 'youngsters' (at age 53!)....many there were retired, both single and married. Habitat for Humanity is a wonderful organization to be involved with....you'd probably be able to volunteer once a month, depending. Granted, the areas they concentrate their work at are usually some major urban towns/cities so, again, 'traveling' would be required.
These are just a few suggestions I could offer you....you get the idea.
 Much More
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 4:19:49 PM
Shirley,

You are a lovely lady. It is just a matter of time before some lucky guy stumbles upon you. Keep up the positive attitude and living a good/healthy life. I truly believe that good things come to those that deserve and work towards them. Seems to me your time should be approaching shortly.

Best of Luck to you.

Much More
 BewhichinU
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 8:36:15 PM
Shirley,
My thoughts are the same as yours. I am so tired of getting suggestive emails from young men. Do they really think that I need sex from them? And of course the really older man who wants me to take care of them. Heck it would be like changing diapers again only this time it would be on a 20 yr old or an 80 yr old.

I think the older man is afraid of commitment or we are about to take his savings (his kids warn him of that-- they don't want to loose their inheirtance) or does he think we want to rape and then kidnap him. All I want is someone to be a companion and if it leads to something more than that is wonderful!

Change is another concept that I believe scares them. They are very comfortable in their own little box and God forbid if a woman wants to show them something new and fun. One man I dated (widower for 8 yrs) kept saying "Peg (his deceased wife) didn't like what you like, or why don't you do it like Peg did? He was so set in his ways. I would say "Change is good and can be fun & if you don't like it you can go back to the way it was" He would say " Oh change is not good. How will I know if I like it?" Needless to say the relationship did not last.

I am getting tired of sending numerous emails, not getting responses or when I get a response we email for a while and then pouf they disappear like "magic". No reason. So now if a man dosen't want to talk on the phone or meet within 2 weeks of initial contact , & the ones who will not send a picture but want numerous pictures of me.. I delete them from my emailing list.
 whytwater
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/11/2009 8:58:28 PM

My thoughts are the same as yours. . . . And of course the really older [woman] who wants me to take care of them. Heck it would be like changing diapers again only this time it would be on a 20 yr old or an 80 yr old.

I think the older [woman] is afraid of commitment or we are about to take her savings (her kids warn him of that-- they don't want to loose their inheirtance) or does she think we want to rape and then kidnap him. All I want is someone to be a companion and if it leads to something more than that is wonderful!

Change is another concept that I believe scares them. They are very comfortable in their own little box and God forbid if a man wants to show them something new and fun.
. . .
I am getting tired of sending numerous emails, not getting responses or when I get a response we email for a while and then pouf they disappear like "magic". No reason. So now if a woman dosen't want to talk on the phone or meet within 2 weeks of initial contact , & the ones who will not send a picture but want numerous pictures of me.. I delete them from my emailing list.

Yep. In this slightly modified form, this is precisely my sense of what I see so much of here. Soooo, Bewhichin, gotta agree with with you!
 catkin2007
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/12/2009 9:03:53 AM
OP, don't let negativity get you down. There are good men and bad men out there. Just like there are good women and bad women. The thing is... don't give up. Who's to say that too old to date is? Certainly not me.

Age is a mindset, if you feel old - you act and are old. If you feel young, you act and feel much younger than your "age" really is.
 whytwater
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/12/2009 10:26:07 AM

Age is a mindset, . . .

Absolutely! As much in the minds of those encounter someone "old" as in the mind of the aged one. And there is a corollary: an older person, like most humans, responds to expectations. Treat them as you'd like them to behave.
Nice post, Catkin.
 catkin2007
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/12/2009 10:59:30 AM
Thank you whytwater. I personally have no intention of giving up.... I do not plan on going out with a good fight. I want to live my life... not let is pass me by.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2009 11:46:06 AM
I don't think they "give up", but rather "learn their lesson"
 tom3054
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/12/2009 6:27:36 PM
some older guys give up.... but this one never will...

i really mean it....

tom3054.................
 CynthiaM
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/12/2009 8:17:07 PM

I didn't say ALL men were jerks, learned counselor. On the basis of your posts on this forum, I would say that YOU are a jerk, (not to mention presumptuous, condescending and a curmudgeon to boot), and YOU don't seem to like women very much.

Is this a joke?
I've known whytwater for awhile now and can tell you he most definitely loves, and LIKES women.

I'll give kitty the benefit of the doubt and guess she was having a bad day because whyt also did not misrepresent her previous posts.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >