Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What have you learned about online dating here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mopar4ever
Msg: 426
What have you learned about online dating here?Page 18 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Sorry' Forgot to add this to my last post. When i joined this site i joined it with the idea of meeting a woman. Isn't that the point? So far i have met a few that i like. I have been out with one and everything went OK. Isn't that also one of the points of being here? I have met others on here that i like and i hope i get to meet them in person. Isn't that another point? In other words i am not a bad guy. I know i piss off some people sometimes with the things i say here. But' I am not a bad guy. The times we live in have made us all men and women afraid to meet a person we find on the net. You might find a crazy serial killer' You might find the best man or woman you have ever known. That's a chance we take with this online thing. Me' I wouldn't be here if i were not willing to take the chance. With all that said that is something else i have learned. If a man/woman mails you wanting to chat why not chat with them? I can't tell you how many mails i have sent out to women that there profile sounds like a perfect match to me and never hear back from them. To me that is odd in itself. Men/women if your not going to talk to anyone why are you here? People if you want to meet a man or a woman shouldn't this site be the social net working site it should be where everyone talks to each other and if your not interested in the man or woman your talking to then introduce them to another that might be. I have learned a lot about a good many people on here. There seems to be a lot on here that are socially inept. They want to talk about others but never look at themselves. There seems to be a lot of people that look down on others because maybe they have spelled something wrong or because there not the size they think is attractive and all other sorts of stupid ideas. As i said in my early post. I see a LOT of people that are going to be alone for a long time. Maybe forever if they don't change there way of thinking. Keep UPDATE! I also find it hard to believe that Herding cats has not learned anything and has nothing to say
 untamed one
Msg: 427
What have you learned about online dating here?
Posted: 3/1/2008 1:48:46 PM

Men over 40 are delusional!

I've learned that bold , sweeping statements about the opposite sex are the best ..

The best years are the forties; after fifty a man begins to deteriorate, but in the forties he is at the maximum of his villainy.
- H. L. Mencken
 smartapple
Msg: 428
Posted: 3/1/2008 1:50:47 PM
Wow! I have had my eyes opened.
Dated a nice guy with a great job who seemed OK, but my BS meter is set to 'instant recognition' so when he started talking about being in love with me within a week, and talking about moving in together within a month (although I was flattered) I took a step back and reassessed.
I'm a single mom, with a great job, some $ behind her, and a support cheque coming in every month. I realised that although I am a great woman, this guy was just looking for the family he could move into with no effort and have someone else pay the rent.
Now, I know I am new to online dating but I can spot a freeloader from a mile away so he is long gone. Yes, it hurts, but it was a lesson I won't soon forget.
Hi to all the nice men and women out there who are just looking for their future partner to share their love
 Westerly gael
Msg: 429
Posted: 3/1/2008 1:59:07 PM
Well lol some are not realy into the "old ones" as myself (from a 56 yr old) and /or they think this is a site for an e-mail order bride. (Yes please read my profile I did tell truth about my age there. )
However I have met some pretty amazing men, that are in early stages of friendship with me. All and all ,I have been amused, dissapointed, flirted with, lied to, had some brutal honesty, and had a few darn good belly laughs.
One has to take this with a grain of salt, chat, meet or delete and move on.
Good luck to all of us, I have met some couples that have met here, and they are happy.
 canoist
Msg: 430
Posted: 3/1/2008 3:04:04 PM
I have learned that people stereotype each other
And that everyone is rude
and everyone is wonderful
and all men only want sex
and that all women are b!tches
And if you've just broken up with your bf/gf its ALL his/her fault!!
and that nothing is ever my fault (duh!)
that some people love sarcasm,
and that some people hate sarcasm!
& sum ppl dont no how 2 rite good
and if you can't spell worth a darn you'll never get any dates
that no one ever looks beyond the pictures and if you don't look sexy no one will ever email you.
So you'd better have some pics of you from 20yrs ago
either that or clip some hunk/babe out of a magazine!
Oh, and all th 40yr old men are looking for 25yr old girls
And all the 25yr old girls are wondering why they can't find a responsible male their own age!
And guys who watch sports on TV can't find a woman who also likes to
and gals who consider shopping a hobby can't find a man who also likes to

Ok, I know I've missed some, but theres a start...
G
 ~Myth~
Msg: 431
Posted: 3/1/2008 7:49:21 PM
^^^^^^^

Forgot the " cougars" . . . . . the "players" . . . . "All women want to get married" . . ."all men are afraid of commitment" . . . . "all women are pychos" . . . . "all men hate women but love sex" . . . .

I learned to become a forum junkie . . .

~Myth~
 c_deacon
Msg: 432
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2008 10:08:56 PM
Such cynics on here....shakes head.....

I have learned that there are good people and bad people, just the same as any place else, or any other on line dating.....

The greatest good for me are those that are real and have shared that part with me on a personal level, and that can be here on line, the forums, or in person. We may have to weed our way through the muck, but life is worth the effort, and there are those of you that I am proud to call friends, lovers, and family......

Just my opinion.......
 Naughtical
Msg: 433
Posted: 3/2/2008 10:26:43 PM
I have learned how childish some adults can be.
I have learned to count to 10 before I post something.
I have learned if they seem too good to be true, they are.
I have learned there are a lot of messed up people out there.
 el_Loco1965
Msg: 434
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2008 10:46:31 PM
I've learned that the woman I'm looking for probably isn't on here...She's a pub somewhere, or can't afford computer and is working a McDonalds or something.
 foxxinaboxx
Msg: 435
Posted: 3/3/2008 11:35:19 AM
I've learned
-that guys like to take pictures of their giblets and send them to girls they don't know.
-"Looking for someone with a healthy mind and body" means no fat chicks.
-open minded means he wants a chick that will put out, but he won't call her once she does.
-guys that are 'looking for a girl who's not materialstic' ride the bus.
-if your balls sag below your knees, you're probably gonna write me.
-guys who can't write in English like to IM me.
-Girls you can say your a murderer in your profile as long as you have a cleavage shot, you'll get mail.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 436
Posted: 3/6/2008 8:43:53 AM

Men over 40 are delusional! and don't realize that they're being viewed as "creepy old guys". Get real guys...or would you rather be alone???

As the kids from the 60's & 70's have said you can't trust anyone over the age of 30!

Serious now, in knowing that there is only a 10% success rate here in talking and meeting healthy people, who live a fairly normal life then the 90% who ...well you can fill in the blanks.
What I've learned being here is that it is mostly entertainment or frustration at best,
and if you are lucky enough to meet and chat with that normal 10% who look and treat you like a fellow human being then more power to you! yippee...
 ~tag~
Msg: 437
Posted: 3/6/2008 4:21:28 PM
I've learned that you've got to drink an awful lot of coffee - I mean - meet a lot of frogs - I mean - guys - to find your Prince Charming. And once you find him, he's only Prince Charming every third day - the other days he's one of the 7 dorks - Slumpy, Frumpy, Grouchy, Gassy, Needy, Betchy or Whiney.

(just a J O K E!)
 ladyblue1
Msg: 438
Posted: 3/6/2008 5:04:01 PM
That this site should be labeled.."for entertainment only"
 Mister Incognito
Msg: 439
Posted: 3/6/2008 5:30:20 PM
What i've learned about online dating (even tho it's already in my profile):

- 85% of the attractive ladies looking for sex/intimate encounters are really guys playing a practical joke with a 2nd account and fake pic downloaded from google or someone elses piczo. The other 15% are just really ugly ladies playing with the sharks.

- 101% of the men here know what they want & it's sex. Some are just more aggressive & open / up front about it than others.. the others hide it but we know the truth, right?

- 98% of the women here think they will actually meet mr. right in this toxic cesspool called the internet based on mere pics & a very one sided & biased profile. Keep on clutching that lottery ticket, honey! yer bound to uh... win on POF.... uh...someday..........yeah...

- 65% of both males & females on POF are married or attached and lie about their status.

- 40% of all users have at least 1 extra account with no picture . another 30% have pictures of themselves that were taken when they actually looked better than they do right now.. or were photoshopped.

- 99% of the people complain that POF'ers they've met don't look like their pics in person. (or so most people say. A pic is one dimensional.. to think meeting a 3 dimensional person in real life would still make them look 1 dimensional is rather ..uh... 1 dimensional. Go date their picture fer chrissake.

- A few extra pounds means overweight (a rose by any other name is still a rose)

- BBW means REALLY overweight (a rose.. oh u know the rest!)

- Athletic means athletic to an obsession where all the muscle is in your head. (aka "im too busy to date.. but i can run by your place and we can jog around the block at 50mph if you can keep up.. meet me outside.. im too busy to stay still")

- Average body type means "I don't want to tell you"

- "I am Attractive and I know it" means "this is all i have going for me"

- "Perfer not to say" means "the worst possible scenario" (eg : smoke? perfer not to say = "My lungs have more tar in them than highway 101" - kids? perfer not to say = "I have 2 little baby charles mansons chained to the backyard fence who are looking for a new daddy/cult leader")

- A very attractive female will get an average of 10 emails a day without having to initiate first contact.

- A very attractive male will get an average of 1 email a month without initiating first contact.

- A less than average looking female will get propositioned for sex at least 2 times a week.

- A less than average male gets NOTHING! (until he starts flashing money and his lexus. lol you KNOW it's true.)

- A female with no pic will get an average of 4 emails every week without making first contact.

- A male with no pic will recieve an average of 0.1 emails a year even when he makes first contact.

- Pretty much advertised success stories on dating websites (aka The Walt Disney Theory) are fictional hollywood-esque scenarios created by the owners of the site to keep the naive people here and give them a glimmer of hope that they will meet someone so the website doesn't become a ghost town and they don't lose advertisers.

hey.. i could be wrong? but it was fun to type anyway.
 margarette
Msg: 440
Posted: 3/6/2008 6:38:38 PM
that in every experience, good or bad, there was a lesson in it that you needed at the time...so, it's all good if you learn from it.
 Enchanted107
Msg: 441
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2008 9:33:38 PM
Online dating? Wait a minute, is that what I have been doing here? lol

a.) That some of us take ourselves too seriously and we forget that this is just cyberspace

b.) That there are too many guys whose inner child is begging to come out

c.) That there are really nice friendship materials here and many of them are married

d.) That how people act here are actually a reflection of their real self

e.) That familiarity bridge contempt

f.) That many guys want exclusivity when it concerns you but would not want that applied to them

g.) That people do not believe that one can come here really just looking for friends or pen pals

h.) That some of us do have a life and living it and there is no reason to presume that anyone is desperate

i.) That some people who claimed to be professionals actually lack social graces just like in real life

f.) That without actually seeing someone in person, one can genuinely care for that person

g.) That words do have power!
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 442
Posted: 3/6/2008 10:34:19 PM
I've learned that 99% of women don't read profiles either, and respond to the photo just the same as men. I can't tell you how many 20 year olds recieved the reply "ummmmm did you look at my age", the lack of a follow up message strongly suggests ummmm, no.
 docesq
Msg: 443
Posted: 3/7/2008 12:14:05 PM
[1] Everybody Lies. [especially the men and women, depending upon your sex]
[2] Most women are not even serious about meeting that special someone. They use reply and e-mails to fuel their fragile egos.
[3] Many participants on sites other than POF are not even paying members so they can't respond to your winks, e-mails, etc.
[4] You may have to kiss 100 frogs. [I'm 0n #174]
[5] BUT, IN THE END, IT ONLY TAKES ONE SPECIAL PERSON TO MAKE THE JOURNEY WORTHWHILE.
 docesq
Msg: 444
Posted: 3/7/2008 12:16:46 PM
Well said. You did not miss too many. How about: If a woman posts multiple photos, in person she is not as good looking as the worst photo on her profile.
 Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
Msg: 445
Posted: 3/7/2008 12:44:35 PM
For starters dating websites where you pay are a complete waste of money.

Secondly, noone looks like their photo.

Thirdly, people write their profiles describing themselves as they see themselves and how they want to be as opposed to what they actually are

But the worst thing is that the "describe yourself" section forces people to pigeonhole themselves into making definitive choices. You either like going out or you like staying in, you either like clubs or you like pubs, youre either a party animal or someone who likes the quiet things like going to restaurents.

To say "well i quite like doing everything" makes you seem bland. But to say "well i like going to clubs" means everyone who doesnt like clubs is going to ignore your profile

Also people here are looking for that perfect person who ticks off everything on their wanted list like "has own car" "has own house" and has exactly the same interests.

But the wackiest thing is that the person you fall in love with isnt going to be someone who ticks all the right boxes, they arent going to have exactly the same interests. They may even be the complete opposite to you. They may be someone who you would never physically be attracted to in the first place. But the thing that makes you love them is the chemistry, that spark.

And thats the dirty little secret, you can talk to someone online for hours and hours. Days and days, they may make you laugh till you cry and you may share all your secrets with them. But when you actually meet them you find theres absolutely no chemistry.

Anybody who thinks theyre going to meet their soul mate on here is crackers. Sure some do but you would expect that statistically just from chance.

There are just too many presumptions, assumptions and expectations created by manipulative and distorted profiles.
 C. Hanson
Msg: 446
Posted: 3/7/2008 12:53:55 PM
The question ... " What have you learned about online dating here? "
Well I have unfortunately found out quite a bit, and some of it which is not very comforting to hear, as you may know if you have ever seen my program.
The best advise I can give is to becareful and if your mind tells you something is not right about a person, it's usually true !
Lots of luck to everyone and be safe !
Chris
 fancynanci
Msg: 447
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2008 1:16:48 PM
I've learned not to say "yes" that easily when asked out or when asked for my phone number.
 classydetective
Msg: 448
Posted: 3/7/2008 1:52:15 PM
it seems like the same thing over and over again
 MS.MOONCHILD
Msg: 449
Posted: 3/7/2008 2:12:18 PM
Like Dorothy Gale from Kansas I've learned that if I ever go looking for my hearts desire I won't look any further than my own backyard because if it isn't there I never did lose it begin with. AND I am still here and having a lot of fun!
 FluffyBrain
Msg: 450
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:53:04 PM
Well, Cleo, what else would one expect from a lawyer? Re: accountants: I would hardly call an accountant a professional. Now, the weird DDS sounds right up my alley!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What have you learned about online dating here?