Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kabiosile
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.Page 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I have exactly zero children in this world that were sired by me. There is something called birth control that has made this happen to my plan, for it was from no lack of sex. I will likely not be having any children of my own. Though I may adopt one day. There are already far too many humans on this rock.

There should be absolutely zero unwanted children in this day and age and BC is the reason.

Mankind is and has been for a very longtime liberated to the point that they can choose exactly when they get pregnant, reproduce and still be able to have sex. Now accidents do occur from time to time even with BC but, by and large most cases are because, many people are quite careless...

Those who think they should believe statistics about single parent families.... "There are three kinds of lies... Lies, damn lies, and statistics."- Quote by Mark Twain

I am and many of my close friends and family are products of single parents (Had nothing to do with feminists my parents were better off splitting up) and the vast majority of the friends and family I know that were also products of single parent situations are just fine.

In fact I would dare to say it is FAR worse to be brought up by two parents that are bad parents than one who is even decent at it. I would rather have one parent than two whom beat me or otherwise abuse, or even those that just dont give a shit.

People get so excited and riled about statistics and they are the most hopeless way to even have an inkling of what is what. These statistics do not even take into account other factors like if the parent is even a decent parent to begin with, or if they are even on this planet for that matter. It simply passes judgment in their narrow minded view and assumption as to why things went wrong and then attempt to blame it on the single parent as opposed to a whole host of other issues and factors. Basically statistics can be and are manipulated to make anything you want to be true seem so.

Now as for this Lady the thread is about that spews the bullshit from her mouth. I think she is quite similar to Howard stern just her specialty is of a different sort of "entertainment." She is much like a shock jock. She makes her money off of catering to the far rights fascist fantasies. She will say absolutely anything no matter how insane to get attention.

I agree with with the fiddler's way of putting it she is a "frothing Nazi she-wolf gasbag lunatic." Though much like Howard stern I bet in real life she dont believe in even half of what she spews out into the public. I am willing to bet she puts on an act much like he does for her audience. The ones that concern me more are her audience whom eat up her drivel like candy.

She is hardly worth the energy or attention it took to write this post in all honesty.
 kabiosile
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.
Posted: 4/9/2009 3:23:37 AM

because the statistics DO NOT back you up. such a position is completely untenable.

LOL I did in my post just fine. Anyone can make statistics say whatever they are trying to argue. It is the worst form of lies there is. I still have no clue why they even attempt to use statistics much less pay professors to teach people about them. Worst form of lies there ever was.

I am the product of single parent. Came out just fine. Like I said FAR better to have one decent parent who gives a crap than two whom are abusive or otherwise dont care.

It is not at all how many parents or what sexes they are that matters. It is that you are loved and they do the actual act of parenting that matters. I worked in school teaching for a while and I knew plenty of wonderful kids that were of single mothers. They went on to college became great people. Oh our new president was highly successful another single mom's work there too..

The fact is one can go out and find plenty of real life examples of people growing up in single parent households whom came out just fine. I can find plenty of people whom were brought up by two lousy parents that came out horrible! It is not about quantity that matters but quality...

That is why I say she is a nonsense talking gas bag. Not because I simply dont like what she says. It is because she hasn't a clue what she is talking about and anyone can make statistics look like anything is true. I could make it look like Bush was the best president we ever had if I wanted to with statistics and we all know that is not true.

It also does not have anything to do with money. In fact the friends I have that came up in great wealth were the worst sort. My one friend has two ULTRA wealthy parents and he wants to kill himself. His parents treat him like shit. He has almost no real friends most people want him only for his money. He cant find a woman who doesnt want to gold dig, etc etc.. Money is no answer nor cure....

I know plenty of kids whom had one mother who had very little means but, the love and parenting she did went miles above the people whom shelled out tons of cash thinking that was going to make some sort of greatness.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 8:58:04 PM
Way off topic, but this will enlighten the discussion at hand. Books given away or in book clubs do not count on bestseller lists. Discount stores either. Only full retail books sold are counted.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/blog/880000288/post/480041248.html
 oddandy
Msg: 134
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:04:47 PM

I mean, to sit there and write something about how single mothers are to blame for violence increases in society is flat out ridiculous alone within itself.

Just to play devil's advocate here, haven't there been studies showing that children from single-parent homes are more likely to end up in prison?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 135
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:22:57 PM
Yeah. That's the grain a truth she builds the whole attack on.

There's competing ideas about what it means - single parent families also tend to have lower incomes (and lower income kids also tend to be more likely to end up in prison). But yeah, she can start with a legit stat. The problem is that she uses it to attack women and every social structure set up to help them. Or anything that stops the rich from stealing from the poor.
 oddandy
Msg: 136
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:29:53 PM

ingle parent families also tend to have lower incomes (and lower income kids also tend to be more likely to end up in prison).

Very good point. I guess this is a good example of how facts can easily be twisted into supporting just about anything you want them to. A valuable lesson for us all.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 9:54:06 PM
I can only speak for my own situation, but I think it might be because I could be the heavy disciplinarian as well as the ol' softie when I needed to be. Maybe the single moms are too much softie and not enough disciplinarian. Although I have known some of my friends moms I wouldn't mess with in my younger days, it was usually moms in two parent families. The single moms of my friends either tried to be "best friends" with the kids, or possibly felt guilt due to the situation, so they tended to let the kids run over them. I've seen that same thing with my own children's friends who were in single parent situations. Lack of supervision, given anything they want, allowed to do whatever, unable to control the children, and on and on......one of my daughter's friends is always giving my daughter crap because at 17 she still has to be home by 11 on weekends. Her mom lets her stay out as late as she wants. Her mom has called my house at 5 AM looking for her daughter because she needed the car to go to work. Does anyone think that mom is doing the girl any favors? One would wonder what a 17 year old girl is out doing at 5AM, you'd think.
 TimPommell
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2009 10:40:32 AM
Maybe you should take down the straw man.
Every position you've espoused on this subject is made of straw!

The post is Coulter attacks single mothers, not Coulter attacks ALL single mothers.

I'm surprised you left out the argument that all single parents (in some capacity) must function as both mother AND father, so in addition to being a misogynist, you could argue she’s also a femme-Nazi! Or perhaps sexist in that her comparison made no allowances for effeminate single fathers.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2009 2:35:03 PM

This might be true if Ann Coulter did not claim her opinion to be fact. If you watch the video from the view she does not claim that this is her opinion, she argues that it’s fact. So if we are supposed to recognize that it is her opinion why can’t she?

Wait a minute, if it happens some of the time, it is indeed fact. If it might happen it is opinion. Research is what backs up the claim. What is being argued here now is weather or not it is true 100% of the time. I don't recall her ever saying it happened 100% of the time (if she does, she is wrong), but if it happens 50% of the time, it is still FACT, at least half the time. I think her position is single mothers raise bad kids more often than either single fathers or two parent families, and according to her, statsitics bear this to be FACT.

I am not saying it's true or untrue, just making a comment on the way the debate has turned.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 140
Posted: 5/26/2009 8:40:36 PM
Yes, but if Ann Coulter was talking in the woods, would she be even less relevant?
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2009 10:46:15 PM

My understanding is that she is attacking the liberal media, beit tv programing or movies that have not only glamorized the "single mother" thing but taken it to new level by making it the in thing to have a child with out a father or husband. Ann feels as most christians that although a mother is a extrodinary person and is capable of raising a perfectly heathly well adjusted child, a father is very important and they serve a valuable purpose in raising children. Sometimes single parent homes don't work and she quotes statistics that say overwelming amout of criminal behavior is committed by persons who were raised by a single mother. She isn't saying that all single moms raise criminals and blaming them. Like always people are offend by Ann cause she isn't afraid address the elephant in the room and she isn't afraid to take the punches of people who are offended by her forward an unwavering style. She says what she knows to be the truth and she stands up for it. Pretty remarkable woman to say the least. You like her or you don't. People will continue to twist her words but she is a brilliant woman and she knows what she talks about.

My other thing is i read the very first post which sorta ran quickly though what happened on "The View" and it was very misleading and left the reader to believe Ann was insulting Barbra and that not at all what it was happening even though like most interviews with Ann she was never allowed to speak in full sentences because the people on the panel of guests or interviewers interupt constantly. She fights to get her point across.
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2009 11:30:37 PM
You could be right, Ann insults liberals as much as liberals insult the conservatives and somehow its only wrong if she does it.. go figure.

Lets see

Reagon was stupid
Bush was a idiot cowboy hick
Cheney was a monster.
conservatives are homophobic, sexist, racists, etc...
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2009 11:47:19 PM
I didn't think Liberals were insulted by being identified with the gay lifestyle.. There isn't anything wrong with it.
 flyguy51
Msg: 144
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:59:00 AM

I didn't think Liberals were insulted by being identified with the gay lifestyle.. There isn't anything wrong with it.

At least with Edwards, she called him a f*g. That is intended as insulting. By your "reasoning," one could call a woman a "c*nt," and say, "Hey, I was just associating her with the feminine gender. There's nothing wrong with female genitalia."

Unprovoked insults and incendiary language are part of Coulter's shtick. That her books sell says more about the buyers than her. She is not genuinely funny like, say, PJ O'Rourke. I'm at a loss for what her appeal is.
 flyguy51
Msg: 145
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:54:10 AM
What I once found funny was when Huckabee had her on his show, and he immediately played several clips of her openly criticising and insulting him. "Why did you say such things about me, Ann?" Awkward silence!! She stuck to her guns for the most part, though, and they eventually found a middle ground.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 146
Posted: 5/27/2009 1:53:17 PM

Again she can and does come across as abrasive, but she usually has her facts straight.

Yes, she is extremely abrasive; but no, she does not have her facts straight.

Ann Coulter is one of the biggest liars in the public forum. She tells intentional lies, and then uses Lexus-Nexus to find articles she can misrepresent in order to claim her lie as fact.

Here are some examples from http://mediamatters.org/research/200608070002 about her book "Godless".

On Page 175, Coulter attacked "liberals" who would "foist" sex education topics such as "[a]nal sex, oral sex, fisting, dental dams, [and] 'birthing games'" on kindergarteners. Citing a November 8, 1987, New York Times article, Coulter wrote:

"But in contrast to liberal preachiness about IQ, there would be no moralizing when it came to sex. Anal sex, oral sex, fisting, dental dams, "birthing games" -- all that would be foisted on unsuspecting children in order to protect kindergarteners from the scourge of AIDS. As one heroine of the sex education movement told an approving New York Times reporter, "My job is not to teach one right value system. Parents and churches teach moral values. My job is to say, 'These are the facts,' and to help the students, as adults, decide what is right for them."9"

To those who find it odd that Coulter would support her claim about "fisting" being taught to kindergarteners by quoting "one heroine of the sex education movement" and referring to students as "adults," there is a very good reason for that. The woman Coulter quoted was Dr. Beverlie Conant Sloane, then-director of health education at Dartmouth College. The Times article cited by Coulter, titled "At Dartmouth, A Helping Candor," (subscription required) was about the sex education programs available to adult students at Dartmouth -- not children in kindergarten. Not only is the article about adult students, but it is from November 1987, close to 20 years old -- hardly what would be considered to be relevant information on current sex education policies.

So here we see Ann making up an outrageous claim that liberals are trying to teach anal sex and fisting to kindergarten students, and her source is a 20 year old artical about a college sex ed program aimed at adults.
And I have no idea what "birthing games" are.

On Page 248, Coulter wrote:

"In an article in the New York Times on intelligent design, the design proponents quoted in the article keep rattling off serious, scientific arguments -- from [Michael J.] Behe's examples in molecular biology to [William] Dembski's mathematical formulas and statistical models. The Times reporter, who was clearly not trying to make the evolutionists sound retarded, was forced to keep describing the evolutionists' entire retort to these arguments as: Others disagree.2 "

That's it. No explanation, no specifics, just "others disagree." The high priests of evolution have not only forgotten how to do science, they've lost the ability to formulate a coherent counterargument.

The New York Times article Coulter cited -- "In Explaining Life's Complexity, Darwinists and Doubters Clash" -- appeared on August 22, 2005, as Part 2 of a three-part series on the debate over the teaching of evolution. Coulter's claim that the article's author, reporter Kenneth Chang, offered "[n]o explanations" and "no specifics" from the proponents of evolution is flat-out false. Chang offered detailed explanations of how evolutionary mechanisms gave rise to blood-clotting systems, modern whales, and speciation among birds on the Galapagos Islands ("Darwin's finches"). Chang also noted: "Darwin's theory ... has over the last century yielded so many solid findings that no mainstream biologist today doubts its basic tenets, though they may argue about particulars." Finally, and most egregiously, the phrase "others disagree" appears nowhere in the article.

So here we see Coulter not just misrepresenting the artical, but blatently lying about the content of the artical.

Ann Coulter never has her facts straight. She is a blatent liar, a manipulator, and the most dishonest non-fiction writer on the planet (if you can call her a non-fiction writer).
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 5:35:53 PM
I will try again , Ann wasn't attacking single Moms! She was giving up statistics that she found that show that an extremely high percentage of criminal behavior is found in persons raised by a single mothers. She goes on to not blame the Mothers so much as the liberal propoganda that is sent out encouraging woman and even glamorizing the whole single mom thing. Then when it falls apart and children become victims and are open to destructive behavior, lack of parental control and leading to criminal behavior.
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 4:43:50 PM

Love how a single woman with kids defends Coulter when she attacks single women with kids. Nothing says "stupid" as much as that.

Nothing says "hateful" as much as that statement.

I think you can't argue the truth in my statement so you attack me personally. I think its sad an pathetic and choose to not make the "descent" to your level.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 149
Old Books
Posted: 6/21/2009 7:42:25 AM

Seems to me Ann Coulter and Obama might have some common ground here!
Yup, and they named that common ground the United States of America.
A place where, whether Coulter and her ilk like it or not, there is still much more that unites you, than divides you.
 flyguy51
Msg: 150
Old Books
Posted: 6/23/2009 1:44:07 PM

Seems to me the President and Coulter have pretty much the same position on this, but one is villified, and the other isn't.

Context, the words used, and how something is framed matters in how it will be received. Remember the definition of tact? The good news is that both Obama and Coulter got the results they wanted. As a politician, Obama does not seek to be villified. As a notoriously incendiary political author, Coulter does seek to be villified; she gets villified all the way to the bank. That some of her fans see her as the innocent victim and cry foul in her defense strikes me as laughable.

It is apparent to me, that voters have become so incredibly polarized, they react to the source of a political statement, rather than to the issue at hand itself.

Definitely true with the die-hard partisans. My family has all the party affiliations memorized, so they know immediately whether to agree or disagree with a certain politician. What's really bad is that Fox News has gotten party affiliations wrong on at least one occasion (probably two) where the politician was caught in something ethically questionable.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 151
Old Books
Posted: 6/23/2009 3:32:01 PM

My family has all the party affiliations memorized, so they know immediately whether to agree or disagree with a certain politician.

I'm fairly certain that practice isn't exclusive to your family.
Pof political forums may hold the copywrite.
 where4
Msg: 152
Posted: 6/26/2009 6:45:19 PM
msg. 253:
LOL! I'm sitting here watching CBS Sunday morning, and their whole "Barack Obama as a father" propaganda...

Propaganda? Can you explain why that's "propaganda"?

Maybe if he was an anointed Family Values rising star who spent Father's Day in Argentina holed-up with his mistress you and Ann Coulter would prefer that?

It's called "walking the walk" instead of "talking the talk."

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/24/sanford-frc-website/
"Previously, the website for the Family Research Council’s Values Voters Summit 2009 featured a picture of South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, advertising that he was a potential speaker..."

Talk about "propaganda" - OH PLEASE!!!

badge3939
Msg: 153
Posted: 8/9/2009 6:54:14 PM

I really don't understand this post of yours. Would you explain it?

LOL! I'm sitting here watching CBS Sunday morning, and their whole "Barack Obama as a father" propaganda, and was very amused to hear the following quote coming from our beloved Messiah:

"It's indisputable, you look at the data, kids without fathers are more likely to have trouble in school, more likely to participate in drugs, more likely to get into trouble, and more likely to end up in jail. Across the board, having a father who is present makes a difference..."

Seems to me Ann Coulter and Obama might have some common ground here!

The best way to explain it to you.

When Ann say it it wrong.
When Obama say it it right.

It not what is said, but who say it.

You want proof. Here
I was at these 2 meetings.

At a community meeting a non named person made a motion to do some thing.
Because who made the motion. Everyone except for a couple of people. The motion was voted it down.

At the next meeting. A named person made the same motion. WORD FOR WORD and it passed. Why? Because of the name of the person who made the motion.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 154
Posted: 8/9/2009 7:22:38 PM

When Ann say it it wrong.
When Obama say it it right.

Big difference in what the two said.
Obama made the statement that two parent homes are a much better environment than a single parent home.
Ann tried to blame all crime on single mothers.

On a lighter note. Even Ann Coulter thinks the "birther" movement is a bunch of crazy people.
 enigoM
Msg: 155
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:04:59 AM
So I guess it's the position of Libs on here that broken homes, single motherhood, teen pregnancy, etc..have no negative impact on society?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.