Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

It doesn't have to be divisive. A rational adult can admit that a skanky b*tch like Coulter has some truth in her message, without feeling the need to peal the "I voted for Obama" sticker off their bumper.
Where does anyone find any truth in the message that Coulter sends?

I had four children. I had a hateful ex-husband who poisoned the children against me. But one year after the divorce, he decided he just couldn't handle our ADHD son (our youngest) and so he begged me to take him.

When I got our son back, he was failing in school. During the entire time I had him ... he was on the honor roll at school, I got him into therapy, got him back on his medication (that helped him concentrate), attended Karate classes with him, taught him to square dance, and taught him to play a musical instrument.

During the entire time, his father never paid one penny of child support. I was the caregiver of my parents at that time with little or no income. I ended up cashing in all my savings bonds (from previous employment) and taking out loans on my life insurance just to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table.

His father convinced a court-appointed guardian ad lidum that I was a controlling b1tch and as a result ... the boy was taken away from me. That was the beginning of the end. My son is now dead.

After his death, I discovered that his own father had supplied him with alcohol long before he was even old enough to buy it on his own. He regained custody of our son and promptly took him off of his medication. Our son was kicked out of several public schools before he finally graduated from some "christian" school that taught more religion than history and math.

Ya ... single mothers are to blame for a lot of things ... but the breakdown of our society ... I doubt it.
 msquared
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.
Posted: 1/19/2009 10:02:58 AM

Okay... Jerry Seinfeld, Charlie Sheen, Pam Anderson, Madonna and Britney Spears.

Are you seriously trying to argue that these people give the message that sex is consequence free?
 geeleebee
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/19/2009 11:42:44 AM
Are you seriously trying to argue that these people give the message that sex is consequence free?

Thank you.

When someone claims that our children are being 'taught' that sex is consequence-free, I envision a classroom--the same classroom where it is claimed that sex education is NOT being taught.

I was raised in a two-parent home. My oldest sister became pregnant out of wedlock.
My God-daughter became pregnant out of wedlock at age 18--she was raised in a two-parent Christian home.
Another dear friend became pregnant at age 15--also the product of a two-parent home.

Ann Coulter sells books because she is inflammatory.
 faith2565
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 3:15:26 PM
She is a big bag of air and became famous because of Hannity!
 mungojoe
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/20/2009 4:37:56 AM

The Leave it Beaver days NEED NOT be a thing of the past...

Spare us please, the "Leave it to Beaver" days never existed in anything close to the way you appear to imagine them.

I say that the media and society has created a monstrous idea that casual sex which results in single motherhood, is responsible.

That is as much nonsense as:

the Left's psychology impressed upon them which forbids teaching young girls that life is generally easier when sex comes AFTER marriage, and instead tells them that all sex is always ok and consequence free.

whatever.. I think you just proved my case.

Really?

And how, pray tell...
 cncgandolf
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2009 7:22:06 PM
"Ann Coulter sells books because she is inflammatory."

Anybody stopped to tell A.C. that Obama was raised by his mom and grandmother?

I'll take his values and morality over her's.
 itechman63
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 10:01:51 AM
No one's arguing that the decline of family values isn't a major contributor to so many problems.

But what I don't get is that when media acknowledges life in today's society maybe even giving kudos to someone that is fighting through life as a single parent, it's considered a problem due to "Liberals". Media portraying a fantasy world ignoring the facts of society could then be considered a right-wing "state controlled" media then wouldn't it? Orwell anyone?

The thing is that I see in media a very good representation of the consequences and struggles of single parenthood or teen single parenthood even while giving the thumbs up to those doing a good job with it.

So what's the solution? Does Coulter offer any suggestions besides eliminating Liberals? Society won't change overnight and it won't change by Coulter suggesting that media hide from the facts of life instead representing a facade of astroturf lawns and Marcia's struggles with her nose being broken right before the big dance.
 msquared
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 11:02:41 AM

i'll say it once i'll say it a hundred times...ann coulter is right about this issue.

Regardless of how many times you say it, she is not right. The problems she places at the doorsteps of single mothers are also present in two-parent families.
 msquared
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 7:43:45 AM

like it or not ann is 100% right.

As I stated earlier, the problems Ann blames on single mothers are also present in two-parent families. Ann is not right about this, as is the usual.
 geeleebee
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/24/2009 4:08:34 PM
Jeffrey Dahmer--raised by two parents. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold--Columbine murderers--and the Menendez brothers--all raised in two-parent homes.

There are so many, many factors that influence our children. While I agree that having two healthy, loving parents is considered the ideal, facts show that not everyone raised in a two-parent home turns out healthy and loving, themselves.
 msquared
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 10:11:37 PM

The 15% of 2 parent families that share these problems simply neutralize the other 85% & render them invisible.

Any statistic that states only 15 percent of the problems are from two-parent families, and 85 percent of the problems are the responsibilty of single parent families, is a statistic that is complete BS.
 427cammer
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 8:39:47 AM

Any statistic that states only 15 percent of the problems are from two-parent families, and 85 percent of the problems are the responsibilty of single parent families, is a statistic that is complete BS.

Nobody in this thread has shown statistics that would counter Coulter's claims... but I guess if you don't like what you hear you call B.S.

I like giving these short responses; I still get to be argumentative and I don't have to bother myself with making an actual point...
 Super Ryan
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/25/2009 9:27:41 AM
Nobody in this thread has shown statistics that would counter Coulter's claims...

There's an old expression in statistics, "there are lies, there are huge f#$%&ing lies, and then there are statistics". What this means is that people can use a factual statistic to promote a lie. It is such an issue in statistics, that my statisctics textbook actually has a picture of the shell game on the cover.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0070951640/information_center_view0/

So how is Ann lying to us?
Ann takes a coerlation of crime and single mothers, and declares a cause and effect. But he has zero evidence that one caused the other. In fact there is tons of evidence that poverty causes a rise in both crime and single motherhood.

I'll try to explain Ann's dishonest use of statistics with cars.
Let's say we sample a large group of cars. And we find a strong coerlation between dirty air filters and worn out brake pads. With Ann's logic, we could state that dirty air filters cause brake pads to wear out. Now anybody with a brain and the slightest knowlegde of automachanics knows that a dirty air filter can not cause brakes to wear out. We know that driving causes brakes to wear out and air filters to get dirty. But Ann might go even further and state that not only do dirty air filters cause worn out brake pads, but also cause people to drive.

I am also suspicious why Ann places the blame squarely on single mothers. Last time I checked, it takes two people to make a baby. Where's the blame for the dead beat daddies.

But what bothers me the most about this Coulter rant (and it's the same for most of his rants), is he offers no solution on fixing the problem. Just blame and hate, that's all Ann ever offers.

And for the record. In the past 20 years we have seen a rise in single mothers. Yet in the same time frame we have seen the crime rates across the board go down.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
 427cammer
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 10:25:11 AM

"there are lies, there are huge f#$%&ing lies, and then there are statistics"

As I mentioned before, I have no real interest in these statistics other than that they lend support to what I already believe (that single parent households are less desireable).

In fact there is tons of evidence that poverty causes a rise in both crime and single motherhood.

I agree that in a lot of cases poverty and single motherhood are intertwined. This doesn't explain how in the area where I live poverty is largely self inflicted (people that don't want to work) and single parent households are still much more common than 30 years ago.

Instead of saying poverty causes single motherhood the reverse might be more true. Maybe when we focus all of our efforts on eliminating poverty we are only treating a symptom of the actual disease.

is he offers no solution on fixing the problem. Just blame and hate, that's all Ann ever offers.

I'm not really interested in placing blame (blame is tied in so tightly with victimhood... and I don't like it), I believe the first step in solving a problem is admitting there is a problem. In this thread it seems that peoples' hatred of Coulter causes them to deny that single motherhood is a problem. Blame isn't important, whether it is mostly men's fault or mostly the women's, it is a problem.. and we should look at the changes society has went through in the last 30 years to solve this problem.

Contrary to what some people believe most conservatives are not heartless; it is out of compassion that I don't want future generations to pay for todays mistakes, financial or otherwise...
 msquared
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 8:14:36 PM

Nobody in this thread has shown statistics that would counter Coulter's claims... but I guess if you don't like what you hear you call B.S.

No, I call something BS when it is BS. And you don't need statistics to argue against these ridiculous claims of Coulter's, all you need is common sense and observation of the world around you.
 msquared
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 8:16:33 PM

True. sorry..I misread the stat. Its more like 2/3 instead of 4/5.

No, it is more like nobody actually knows the exact figures, despite the claims of people like Coulter.
 faith2565
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 9:21:04 PM
I saw a story on the net yesterday stating Ann Coulter may be transgendered.

Here are some postings:

----------------------------------------------
WEB RESULTS
Pam's House Blend:: Way Off-Target: Calling Ann Coulter A Transvestite
Apparently intimidating the average ignorant wingnut by simply waking up each ... Tags: transphobia, Ann Coulter, Hypocrites, lefty bloggers, Transgender, (All Tags) ...
www.pamshouseblend.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=942 - 316k - Cached

YouTube - Keith Olbermann Slams Ann Coulter
Olbermann tears Ann Coulter a much needed new one. Enjoy! ... If I lived in Ann's world, I could, RIGHT NOW, imply that Ann Coulter is a transgender rapist. ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWo5IiyxfuE&feature=related - 105k - Cached

Ann Coulter - Wikiality, the Truthiness Encyclopedia
The daughter of Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Ann Coulter (sometimes known as "The Colt" for her shapely buttocks) ... transgender surgery prevent Ann from ...
www.wikiality.com/index.php?title=Ann_Coulter - Cached

Post An Apology: Transgender Ann Coulter Voter Fraud
Transgender Ann Coulter Voter Fraud. Who's Sorry Now? Not sure on this one. ... the 'shrillest of them all' Ann Coulter committed voter fraud in Florida (PAA here) ...
postanapology.blogspot.com/2006/04/transgender-ann-coulter-voter-fr... - 61k - Cached

Ann Coulter. Transvestite or transgender?
Create and vote on public opinion polls, share knowledge ... Ann Coulter. Transvestite or transgender? Answers. Results. Who Answered? Anorexic transvestite. ...
sodahead.com/question/62477/ann-coulter-transvestite-or-transgender - 169k - Cached

Shakesville: Elizabeth Edwards Smacks Down Ann Coulter
... about this without referring to Ann Coulter as a tranny or otherwise ... suggest there's something inherently wrong with being transgendered/transsexual. ...
shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2007/06/elizabeth-edwards-smacks-down-ann... - 71k - Cached

UnSpace - Writing and Photography " Disgraceful Liberals and Ann ...
... to "Disgraceful Liberals and Ann Coulter (Transgendered or Not)" 1. Sean ... As for being transgendered, I could care less what Ann Coulter is, since I'm not ...
unspace.net/2006/06/disgraceful-liberals-and-ann-coulter-transgendered... - 74k - Cached

Media Matters - Even after Time 's cover story, you still don't know ...
They don't know the real Ann Coulter because Time carefully hid her from view, ... Savage on SF Police Dept. transgender sensitivity training: "brainwash[ing]" by ...
mediamatters.org/items/200504180001 - Cached

FOXNews.com - Ann Coulter Fires Back at Critics Over John Edwards ...
Ann Coulter Fires Back at Critics Over John Edwards 'Faggot' Barb, Ann Coulter fired ... Florida Conservatives Fight for Repeal of Transgender Restroom Rule ...
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256860,00.html - 53k - Cached

Ann Coulter : This Is the Downer We've Been Waiting For! - Townhall.com
Ann Coulter is a columnist and author of Godless: The Church of Liberalism. ... Transgender model steals the show in Fashion Rio. Popular Articles By Coulter ...
townhall.com/columnists/AnnCoulter/2009/01/07/... - 245k - Cached

geeleebee
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/25/2009 10:26:35 PM
Whoa.
As much as I detest Ann Coulter, that ^^^is over the disgraceful line.
Have you read anything about her family? Researched anything beyond the tabloids?
I do not consider Coulter to be a journalist, rather she is an entertainer, as are Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and others of their ilk.

More to the point: if Ann Coulter were transgendered, so what? She still espouses the same vile drivel, still sells books filled with soulless diatribes against any who oppose her opinions. Being transgendered changes nothing.

To bring a question of her gender into a discussion about her recent book is a deflection from the topic at hand and is, in my opinion, malicious. Seriously--what was the point?
 msquared
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 10:33:56 AM
This type of denial whitewash tries to paint over that picture.

The denial whitewash is blaming society's ills on single mothers. As someone who sees a lot of parent's interactions with their kids, I can assure you that average parenting these days is pathetic, regardless of one parent or two. Many of today's parents are unwilling to give their kids any amount of discipline or notions of responsibility. Anything the kids do wrong is blamed on others, or simply ignored. The quality of parents is what is lacking, not the quantity.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/26/2009 12:14:50 PM
I am not stating that Ann's stat is wrong. I am stating that Ann's conclusion that single mothers should be blamed for crime is retarded.
Let's start with a stat from this thread. I do not know how factual it is, but for the sake of arguement I will accept it as true.

Single mothers account for about 25% of all families, but their children account for 43% of prison inmates(almost double), & 70% of juveniles in state reform institutions(almost triple).

I'm going to leave the prison stat for a second and start with the juvie stat.
The 70% does not represent crimes commited, it only shows the incarceration rate. And here is a fact I know is true. Children from single family homes, or foster care are way more likely to get a sentence in juvie then a kid who committed the same crime with two parents at home. Without knowing what the actual rate of crimes committed, by youth and their family arrangement, this stat does more to prove children of single parents get stiffer juvie sentences over two parent children, then it proves single mothers cause crime.

Now let's get to the "43% of prison inmates(almost double)".
It's believable enough. I see no reason to argue its validity. But it does not prove that the rise in single mothers causes more crime.
It is easy to see that areas with high rates of poverty and crime in America are also home to higher rates of single mothers. So you might find that areas with high rates of crime might actually exceed 43% of children living in single parent households.
So if a bad area has a rate of single parent families at 43% and children from single parent families make up 43% of criminals, then children from two parent homes commit crimes at the exact same rate as children from single parent homes.
Let's go even further. If 80% of crimes are commited in areas that have a rate of single mothers at 60%, and 20% of crimes are commited in areas where single mothers account for only 20% of the population. Now if these stats were true (they probably are not, I made them up), then children of single mothers should account for 52% of crime. But the stat above states that they are only responsible for 43% of prisoners. So it would seem children of single mothers are slightly less likely to commit crimes.
It's not fair to take a statistic on the whole country and form conclusions without further demographics.
I'll give an example of what I am talking about. Let's say you wanted to do a study of single mothers and crime. You don't have enough money to sample the entire country, so instead you choose two cities: Detroit and Salt Lake City. Again I will make up numbers. Let's say both cities have the same population. Detroit has 9,000 crimes commited each year and Salt Lake City has 1,000 crimes commited each year. In Salt Lake City children from single parents account for 5% of the population and commit 5% of the crimes. Now let's say Detroit children from single parent homes make up 50% of the population and account for 50% of the crimes. The two stats on their own give evidence that children from single parent homes commit crimes at the same rate as children from two parent homes. But if we combine the data from the two cities we see something different. We now have a stat that would state 27.5% of children live in single parent households and commit 45.5% of the crimes. Quite a difference, simply by manipulating the data, I went from an even rate of crime for single parent children, to almost twice the rate, and all I did was combine the data from two cities.

There are lies, there are huge f#$%&ing lies, and then there are statistics.

So why are there so many more single mothers now then say 50 years ago?
It's quite simple. We no longer have shotgun weddings, and we don't send girls to monastaries to have their babies. But there is one thing that keeps the number of single mothers down, abortion, and if Ann had his way, they would be outlawed and we would have even more single mothers, many of whom would resent their children simply because they were forced to have them.

I am going to throw this out again. In the last fifteen years we have seen a steady increase in women having children out of wedlock, and in the same period crime in America has steadily gone down. In statistics this is called a negative coerlation, if one goes up the other goes down - negative coerlation. And it is very simple that if there is a negative coerlation, one can not cause the other, only a lack of one could cause the other.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Now I'm not saying that raising a child in a single parent home is the optimal way to raise a child. Personally I like the "it takes a village" mentality. I think the best way to raise a child would be with two devout parents, loving grandparents, caring aunts and uncles, little cousins to play with, helpful neighbours, dedicated teachers, and maybe a responsible religious leader.
But remove one parent and you can still be very successful in raising a child. I'm sure it is much better for a child to be raised in a caring single parent home, then to be raised in a two parent abusive home.

P.S. Please do not argue my made up stats. They are there to prove how statistics can be manipulated by dishonest people. If all you can do is argue that my stats are wrong (I already admitted they were made up), you probably do not have the ability to actually understand statistics.

P.P.S. I do see value in statistics when they are used correctly, I am simply complaining about Ann's blatent and callous misuse of statistics to prove her idiotic point that single mothers are responsible for all crimes in America.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 1:01:09 PM

I am simply complaining about Ann's blatent and callous misuse of statistics to prove her idiotic point that single mothers are responsible for all crimes in America.

I don't believe she said she was trying to blame them for all crimes. And if her stats are based on geographic location I agree with the analysis of your made up statistics. I think in society, conservatives (as in Ann Coulter) tend to lay blame more on upbringing. They feel it is the responsibility of the parent to raise a decent upstanding child by example. One of several places I lose conservative thinking is how a single mother (or father for that matter) is supposed to raise a perfect child or children while possibly working two or three jobs to be able to afford raising that child or children.

Funny thing is, when a person is incarcerated for a crime, all you hear are things like "Well I'm not surprised "Johnny" did something like that. His parents left him alone all the time and never taught him right from wrong, he never went to school and he never had a chance". So who is getting the blame? Certainly not "Johnny". It always seems like the blame is being taken away from the culprit and placed elsewhere. Another funny thing--it's usually liberal thinkers who make the kinds of assessments described above, conservatives tend to place blame directly on the culprit. Yet liberals are the ones fighting the hardest against what Coulter is saying.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/26/2009 1:52:43 PM

I don't believe she said she was trying to blame them for all crimes.

Actually she does. Not only crime, but all of societies problems.
Here's some quotes directly from Ann Coulter:

Look at any societal problem, and it is a problem of single motherhood.

Single motherhood is like a farm team for future criminals and social outcasts.

And the title of the chapter in her book that started it all:

Victim of a Crime? Blame a Single Mother

So yes it does appear she was trying to blame all crime on single mothers.

I find it funny that someone who constantly complains about "whinning liberals", is probably the biggest whinner in the history of political pundits.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:29:55 PM
Well. obviously a lot of people like her if they continue to give her airtime. But if someone dont like her, why do they sit a watch her.

It's because of the ratings, that's why she gets put on shows and not because the vast majority of people like her either, it's the opposite. Most people that watch her on TV watch her in a negative light. Problem is when you watch someone you dislike or buy their book because you are waiting for them to screw up or want to get a laugh out of their nonsense, you are indirectly supporting them at the same time. This is why I don't watch MSNBC. I personally can't stand that news channel, but I know if I sit there and watch it for the reasons I mentioned above, I will be indirectly supporting them at the same time.
 faith2565
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:54:52 PM
The point is how can she degrade single mothers when she could never really be one. I am a single mother.
 geeleebee
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:59:41 PM

The point is how can she degrade single mothers when she could never really be one. I am a single mother.

Seriously--she could never 'really be' a mother? How do you figure?
I can degrade rapists--but I've never been one.
I can be degrading about people who kick their dogs--mine aren't treated that way.

Argue the merits, or lack thereof, of her books--but to call her gender into question is simply mind-boggling.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.