Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.Page 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

All McCain had to say was "if you elect me I will legalize pot" and McCain would be prez right now.

McCain could have just said "If you elect me" all your mortgages will be paid for. Hell, Obama's doin' it now and he didn't even promise it (well, in so many words...it was implied).

Some of the stuff that is going on right now is making wonder if I should start smoking pot. Just so I can get into the frame of mind where I quit questioning the ridiculousness of it all.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:02:29 AM

How is Obama extremist and radical.
Seems like a mild conservative to me.

Funniest thing I've read all day. If Obama is a mild conservative then so is Ann Coulter.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/11/2009 11:31:19 AM
Actually, characterizing Obama as radical kind of proves my point.

You have to be way, way off the main track to see him as anything but mild and mainstream. Which is the problem with the Republican party today - or at least the Ann Coulter/Rush Limbaugh/et al version of it.

If their version of reality is so out of whack with obvious truth, then the party is doomed to marginal status as long as they maintain control of it. These are people who think the problem with W is that he wasn't right wing enough and that the real problem was the "liberal" media.

Sorry, but it reminds me of nothing so much as the Communist Party of Canada Marxist/Leninists I remember from my youth. Total dedication to the cause; everything seen through a very skewed prism; unconditional support of the Soviet Union/ Republican administration.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/11/2009 11:31:50 AM
Sorry, double post.
 faith2565
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:29:12 PM
Yes, Rush and Coulter really hurt the image of the party. On D.L. Hugley the other night a former republican (Frank Shaffer sp) stated how the party is starting to look 'very uneducated and out dated'.
 jed456
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 12:28:47 AM
You have to be way, way off the main track to see him as anything but mild and mainstream. Which is the problem with the Republican party today - or at least the Ann Coulter/Rush Limbaugh/et al version of it.

I would have to agree I have voted for republicans in past election's and democrat's.I will not have any association with a party that panders to the like's of coulter and rush. And an interesting article on the subject.......

politico

New GOP chair must accept moderates
By CANDY L. STRAIGHT | 1/28/09 5:28 AM EST

On Friday, the 168 members of the Republican National Committee will vote on a new party chairman. After what can only be described as disastrous outcomes of the past two election cycles, lifelong Republicans like me held hope that we have finally learned that the key to winning is being inclusive and true to our limited government core. I had hoped that the RNC members would focus on the pressing bread-and-butter issues facing our country and our party.

At a time when the party should be establishing a sound strategy to win elections, regain the majority and have influence on issues like economic security and cutting government waste, the debate among the candidates for RNC chairman is more of the same: a call to energize the right wing of the party, despite the fact that this hyper-ideological, so-called base no longer represents the majority of GOP voters. And, as a consequence, vilify anyone who does not pledge 100 percent allegiance to an exclusionary social agenda.

Even conservative candidate Michael Steele, the former lieutenant governor of Maryland, is being attacked for being too willing to work with moderates. The RNC members continue to pander to a small, vocal, fundamentalist faction instead of revamping its message, mission and agenda to appeal to a broader base of voters. All of this bodes ill for the GOP.

According to national exit polls, the Republican brand lost with the two largest voting blocs in the country: women and moderates. Self-described moderates — who make up 44 percent of the electorate — gave Barack Obama a 21-point advantage over John McCain. Women gave Obama a 13-point advantage (56 percent to 43 percent). The GOP won the male vote only 49 percent to 48 percent, a negligible difference. Voters under 30, the future of both parties, gave Obama a landslide victory (66 percent to 32 percent). Additionally, the GOP lost the majority of voters in key suburbs — which lean to the middle — across the nation, as well as nine states formerly considered “safe” Republican states in 2004, including Indiana and North Carolina. These facts seem to be either ignored or not enough for our party leaders to see that the base is changing. I believe it is changing for the better.

Republicans must face the reality that the reason the Democratic Party is the majority in Congress and in the White House is that they ran on a platform of inclusiveness and diversity. Our newly elected president took the oath of office sounding like a “big-tent” Republican — calling for common-sense solutions, leaner budgets, a reduction in government waste and greater personal responsibility — because he knew that these are the beliefs of the majority of voters. Meanwhile, the GOP is looking to repair its party by doing just the opposite: excluding voters, ignoring issues of concern and exhibiting an inability to provide common-sense solutions.

The turnaround of the GOP is not an easy fix. Years of marginalizing — even ignoring — the viable and influential moderate majority will take time to unravel, but it must begin now. The newly elected chairman must welcome diverse views on heartfelt social issues while remaining true to core Republican principles of limited government, individual responsibility and personal freedom. If the party cannot do this, there will be no Republican Party to fight over in the future.

Candy L. Straight is national co-chairwoman of the Republican Majority for Choice.

Personally IMHO I do not even recognise it as the republican party anymore.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 2:01:17 AM
You know, it's funny, I remember hearing all the republican party is dead rhetoric when Clinton was in office too. How the party was finished, out of date, out of touch, and out of it's mind. Then Clinton lied about the BJ. Bam! The republican party was back in vogue again.

Does anyone here honestly think that if Obama drives this country into the dumpster that people are actually going to vote another like minded individual in? These supposed conservatives spend way too much time over-analyzing things. The average dude and chick on the street doesn't even know who the vice president is. Do you really think they sit down and look at what a party stands for? The average person's thought process : well, that party screwed it up--let's vote for this one.

To explain the fact the younger generation has gone anti-conservative: America has become a country of style over substance. It doesn't matter what they say--it's how they say it, for the most part. Credit should not be given where credit is not deserved. And unforetuntly too many people give the majority of people in this country a lot more credit than they deserve. And I mean that both literally and figurativly. Taking it literally - your difference is--one party wants to bail those given too much credit out and the other wants those given too much credit to bail themselves out. Who exactly do you think the young consumer driven gimme gimme gimmes are going to vote for? Whichever party promises to give them the most. Regardless of weather they actually deliver or not. Obama promised a lot of people a lot of things, so now a lot of people are waiting to see if he delivers. If he does, he might get re-elected, if he doesn't....................I'll place my bet on the opposition.
 faith2565
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 2:27:12 PM
Yeah, but the party did not appear as though they wore white sheets at night with Sarah Palin and Micheal Steele as tokens.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 4:12:12 PM

Yeah, but the party did not appear as though they wore white sheets at night with Sarah Palin and Micheal Steele as tokens.

Sure they did. They've been painted as racists as far back as I can remember (Reagan era). Why? Because they refuse to continue to play the PC apologists for everything like the democrat party. Because they expect people to have personal responsibility for themselves and not make excuses or blame society for their own personal bad decisions. Because they refuse to change definitions for things like marriage and contort them to fit the views of a small faction of people. Hardly racism, but for some reason it gets typecast as such by the PC police.

And where do you get that they appear as if they wear white sheets at night? No party is without a few bad apples. Remember Robert Byrd? He's the last politician I remember who ever wore a white sheet (or at least, who admitted it). If memory serves he was a democrat. And since he was, of course, he was forgiven for his "bad judgement" not cast out for it. Remember Trent Lott? He was a republican who made a faux paus when making a speech about Strom Thurmond who ran, oh, about 60 years before as a separationist. He was chastised and driven out of the party on a bullet train. Wanna rethink which party has more tolerance for "racism"?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 110
Posted: 3/12/2009 4:52:46 PM
Whew.

I know this is off track. Yes, Trent Lott got in trouble. But it wasn't exactly a faux pas. He said the country would have been better off if Strom had won the Presidential election back in 48 when he ran as a racist Dixiecrat.

Which brings us to Robert Byrd and Strom Thurmond. Robert Byrd and George Wallace started as racists within the Democratic Party, but repented and repudiated their views. So they stayed in the party. Strom remained an unrepentant racist so he changed parties and became a Republican.

There was always a bitter division within the Democratic party prior to 64 between the Northern liberals and the Southern racists. Between 1960 - when Kennedy won the fight to change the number on the Rules Committee (2 Southerners on the committee meant that all Civil Rights initiatives failed when those 2 sided with the Republicans to deadlock and stall things in committee) - to 1964 and Johnson's Civil Rights Act, meant the party had one voice on this issue. The Republican Party then stepped into the vacuum and got all the old racist votes, leading to a Red South.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 6:50:37 PM

I know this is off track. Yes, Trent Lott got in trouble. But it wasn't exactly a faux pas. He said the country would have been better off if Strom had won the Presidential election back in 48 when he ran as a racist Dixiecrat.

Okay, wrong choice of words (calling it a faux pas). But same result--he was relieved of his position.

Prior to 1964 (but I'd say more like prior to the vietnam war) this country had a whole different political landscape than we do now. JFK's democratic ideals in 1960 were more closely aligned with what would be considered moderate republican today. He is probably spinning in his grave if he is seeing what his brother has become.

As I said there are a few bad apples in both parties, but to paint all republicans as racists isn't anymore correct than painting all democrats as whatever derogatory term republicans are calling them this week. I just get so tired of being told what I am because I choose to align myself with a party. Believe it or not there are a few aspects of the democratic party I do agree with (as there are many aspects of the republican party I don't). Does that mean I instantly become a non-racist with above average intellect when that occurs? If all racists drive Fords, does that make all Ford drivers racist. Hardly.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 112
Posted: 3/12/2009 7:24:30 PM
JFK and RFK were both more liberal than Teddy.

The Democratic party today is way more right wing than Nixon or Ford's Republican party (and way, way more right wing than the Rockefeller or Eisenhower Republicans). Nixon launched the EPA, signed a stronger Fair Doctrine Act, started the PBS, etc. Eisenhower gave the famous "Military-Industrial Complex" speech as he left office. Either man would be considered to leftist to run for city council by the Democratic Party in San Francisco.

Your whole country has moved way to the right in the last 29 years. There has to be a move back to centre. And that means radically to the left.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 6:09:37 AM
JFK and RFK were both more liberal than Teddy.

Let's stick with JFK. Pro-life, pro-military, pro-family. Conservative values all. He would have been a republican in 2000. A million web sites back me on this. Google it.

The democratic party is more right wing today than the republicans in the 70's? I think that is highly debatable. But as I said the political landscape was different then. The country as a whole was far more conservative pre-Vietnam.

Your whole country has moved way to the right in the last 29 years. There has to be a move back to centre. And that means radically to the left.

No thanks, I think it's gone far enough left.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/13/2009 8:26:38 AM

Let's stick with JFK. Pro-life, pro-military, pro-family. Conservative values all. He would have been a republican in 2000. A million web sites back me on this. Google it.

I know there must be a lot of internet gossip like this, because I've seen your assertion before. But it's exactly what I've been talking about. The true believers talking to other true believers. It doesn't square up with reality, just prejudices. Baby boomers love JFK; right wing baby boomers then convince themselves that their hero must agree with them to avoid cognitive disonance.

His rhetoric and policies say something else entirely.

The political landscape has changed. If you want to get back in the discussion, you're going to have to stop lying to yourself about stuff like this. You'll just end up a cranky old man complaining about how the country's gone to hell since they let that darkie family into the White House.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:21:11 AM

right wing baby boomers then convince themselves that their hero must agree with them to avoid cognitive disonance.

He is no hero. No politicial figure could be a hero to me. But back to the arguement at hand, it's a futile arguement. You can probably show me 100 web sites that refute it and I can show just as many that are the opposite. So we should (as usual) agree to disagree here. Proof that the political landscape has changed is out there.

You'll just end up a cranky old man complaining about how the country's gone to hell since they let that darkie family into the White House.

That I might, but I can assure you the color of his skin has nothing to do with it. It's what's inside his head that concerns me. But as I've said many times before, we both know that the majority here in this country are more concerned with Paris Hilton than Barrack Obama and if he gets the country back on it's feet good for him. He'll probably get a second term. If he doesn't--bad for him, we'll be back in business in 2012. Unless this country has a lapse in it's usual bad judgement and elects an independant party that might actually really change something for once.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/13/2009 1:56:19 PM
What does any of this have to do with Ann Coulter or single mothers?
 427cammer
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:34:55 AM

What does any of this have to do with Ann Coulter or single mothers?

In the last 20 posts or so, absolutely nothing.... but I find this interesting and I'm going to chime in anyways.

The Democratic party today is way more right wing than Nixon or Ford's Republican party

I'll be the first to admit that I don't keep up with current events as much as I should... I base my opinions almost entirely on personal experience. This probably makes my opinion somewhat flawed, but on the other hand I'm almost immune to being subjected to biased news coverage... right or left.

A while ago I looked up 'neocon' on wikipedia and finally found out what the word means. To put it simply "neocon' is a leftist version of traditional conservatism. At one time true conservatives had no interest in foreign wars... including WWII up until 1942.

My personal experience consists mostly of growing up and living in a small town in Canada... yet I suspect most people in America would concur with my observations:

Government has steadily grown bigger. Whatever party you want to blame for this, it is not true conservatism. Conservatives want smaller government... period.

I've seen it said in these forums how American policies (and even Canadian) have swung enormously to the right in the last 30 years. Based on personal experience (and assuming right-wing still means conservative) I say bullshit....
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 6:41:32 AM

I've seen it said in these forums how American policies (and even Canadian) have swung enormously to the right in the last 30 years. Based on personal experience (and assuming right-wing still means conservative) I say bullshit....

Of course those on the left are going to say it's swung to the right. How else can they try to con people into swinging it further to the left? It's a poor attempt at reverse psychology. Even one of my friends from college who is a staunch lefty says the country is moving exactly the way he likes it.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/14/2009 8:56:09 AM
It's been said that government and politics always comes down to money: where you get it from and what you spend it on.

I'm hoping we can agree on that.

Left wing politics wants to spend more money on social programs and things like NEA. Right wing politics wants to spend it on military, police, etc. I'm over simplifying here, so don't jump down my throat.

Left wingers want to tax the rich and corporations. Right wingers want to tax everyone the same. nb see above.

In the light of this, let's look at the last Democratic and Republican administrations. Clinton signed the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, ending social assistance for many of the most needy in America. He boosted the number of cops on the streets. He gave away bandwidth to corporations at a time when other first world nations were auctioning it off. He cut military spending a little then started increasing it again once he had a balanced budget. So that when he left the US was spending more on military than the rest of the world combined.

Forget about looking at W's administration. How can you objectively look at Clinton's 8 years and think he's not a right winger? The debate in the US is now enclosed from moderate right to far right only. Nobody ever says that the military gets too much, or that corporations should be nationalized if they're not acting in the public interest. Eisenhower said the former; Truman said the latter. In living memory the parameters of debate were much, much larger and farther left than they are today.
 427cammer
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:46:17 AM

Right wing politics wants to spend it on military, police, etc.

Right wing to me has always meant conservatism (admittedly today it is a very bast*rdized term). I'm hoping we can agree on that.

As I learned from wikipedia the 'neo' in 'neocon' stands for liberalized views concerning military policies. The way many people seem to throw around the term they are using it as an adjective to ultra-conservative... but they are wrong. When Clinton increased military spending he was being a true liberal.

Left wingers want to tax the rich and corporations. Right wingers want to tax everyone the same.

As I mentioned earlier, conservatism is about keeping the government small. For myself, I see a corelation between increasingly large governments and the proliferation of big business. I feel that true conservatism would be friendlier to small business.

Clinton signed the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, ending social assistance for many of the most needy in America.

And yet I would be willing to bet that the number of people using government assistance has increased significantly in the last 30 to 50 years.

How can you objectively look at Clinton's 8 years and think he's not a right winger?

As long as we're still agreed that rightwinger means conservative than I don't think the US has had a right winger in office in the last 40 years.

True consevatism (as I'm sure you know) is about being fiscally responsible. To those leaders who are not, you can call them anything you want.... but I wouldn't call them conservative.

I'm of the belief that conservatives are more compassionate than liberals. We don't want our grandchildren paying the tab so we can have a better quality of life today.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 121
Posted: 3/14/2009 11:17:41 AM
Right wing doesn't mean conservative - radical right wing is radical.

Left wing can be conservative. Efforts to protect environment are both left wing and conservative.

All political labels are imperfect, but I specifically used right wing and left wing for a reason.

Clearly the biggest abusers in US history of fiscal responsibility are Ronald Reagan and George W Bush. Both were right wingers. Both claimed the mantle of conservatism. But I didn't say conservatives are fiscally irresponsible, because it wasn't conservative policies they were following. Cutting taxes to the rich is right wing, radical and not conservative.

Liberalism does not mean higher military spending any more than conservatism does. Reagan tripled the military budget. He wasn't a liberal.
 427cammer
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 8:05:23 PM
It's funny to me how you're willing to lump any negative connotation that you want to fall under the definition of 'rightwing' but if I give one intrepatation (and an accurate one) of the term 'liberal' you get all defensive like an overprotective mother.

There are very few people who consider themselves rightwing who would agree with the descriptions that you would lay at their doorstep. When you redefine words to suit your purposes you are bound to find people who will disagree with you....
 geeleebee
Msg: 123
Posted: 3/15/2009 10:47:54 AM
Seriously; you haven't heard the term 'liberal' used in relationship to any other country?
Nova Scotia--Liberal Part
Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada--Michael Ignatieff
Japan--Liberal Democratic Party
et cetera...
Google--you will discover that there are many countries where the term 'liberal' is included in political parties.
 Metreau
Msg: 124
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:07:50 PM
Just like I did in a different forum in Current Events, I'll repeat the exact same thing my dad told me when I was 12:

Simple as this son; sex will come before marriage, that's a given. But as for kids, they should come after you've tied the knot. That way, you'll ensure that your kids have a stable place to grow and become fruitful."

Single motherhood shouldn't be embraced like it is in the media (news, movies, literature) today. What should be embraced is real parenting with both mother and father in the house raising the kids together. In these times, parents really need to be there for their children instead of trying to screw with everyone they see and/or trying to sap every last dime out of one another.

Now don't get me wrong; I do understand that certain circumstances (rape, death/incarceration of one or both parents, divorce, etc.) do prevent this from happening. And I think that's where Ann Coulter f--ked up.....BIG TIME. She didn't take these factors into account when writing that book.

However, even if the parents can't get along, they should at least TRY to make nice with each other and raise the kids together. If single parenting can be prevented in a certain situation, it should. Right now, there's WAAAY too much chaos and evil in this world to be abandoning children.

For those that do NOT have kids (like myself), let's (at least) try to follow my father's advice and to have children after you're married. If y'all are unmarried and expecting now, please get married (or at least think about it).
 geeleebee
Msg: 125
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:43:45 PM
In an ideal world, every child would be a wanted child. Every parent would have the wisdom and patience to raise that child.

Marriage doesn't guarantee that any child will be raised by patient, wise parents.
Marriage does not ensure a stable home for a child.

I don't know how media are 'embracing' single motherhood.

Where Coulter effed up is the same place she always effs up--she presumes that she is smarter than everyone else, and if she gets a book published, then she is proved correct in her presumption. In truth, Ann Coulter is a horror show, and certain factions of the public just love to watch her in action.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could point to a single factor for the crime and violence in our country? We can't. Crime and violence are not the result of a single factor.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.