Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do the welsh and english hate each other?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
What little I know of British history, Wales used to be it's own country just like Ireland and Scotland.
The Welsh are a more ancient occupants than the English and they look upon the English as invading conquerors.
 militarymike88
Msg: 4
Why do the welsh and english hate each other?
Posted: 1/19/2009 8:16:39 AM
The Brits have this weird mindset that they should own every piece of land in Northwest Europe *cough Ireland.* And like most people the Welsh didn't want to live under British rule and fought back. Been going back and forth for centuries.
 english lass
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/19/2009 9:43:14 AM
because the welsh have gorgeous singing voices!

*envy envy*

english lass
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/19/2009 3:04:21 PM
i'm english, born and raised there... i didn't even realize there was a problem between *us*; all the welsh i met were friendly.... and a couple of them did have wonderful voices, but i gotta admit i was kinda stereotyping just a tad, maybe....the whole welsh coalmine choir thing...just lovely...
 Bloke_up_North
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2009 1:17:22 PM

The Brits have this weird mindset that they should own every piece of land in Northwest Europe *cough Ireland.* And like most people the Welsh didn't want to live under British rule and fought back. Been going back and forth for centuries.

Most ancient countries have claims to the lands of others, through treaty, marriage or right of conquest. Ireland was once part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Now the full title is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The Welsh ARE British, you are getting confused over your nationalities, you should have said English rule.

Henry IV dude. read it. the Black Prince of Wales was a bad mofo.

the Black Prince of Wales was English. He was the great grandson of Edward I or "Longshanks" who conquered Wales in the first place.

It is still legal to shoot a Welshman, with a longbow, inside the walls of the city of Chester. Providing you do so at night.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2009 9:36:57 AM
I'm part Welsh, English, Scottish, and Irish, amongst other things. I think that it is somehow programmed into our DNA. Even though I live in the US, I still find myself guessing like crazy at people's lineage, perhaps to see if there's some old feud that can be resurrected through some random argument. I'm not sure that other people can really understand, but I've always felt that this must come from me Scottish side, since the Scots never got along with these English conquerors, either.
 want to travel
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2010 7:57:10 AM
the welsh are thought to be indigenous to europe and the british isles they have one of the most ancient cultures in europe, since they where conquered by the english, they lost there religion, customs, and language, they where treated as third class people,for centuries, they are still waiting to have there national symbol present on the union jack
 want to travel
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2010 7:49:43 AM
i just bought a dvd, about the 'germanic tribes, the term germania was coined by julius ceaser , a good piece of propaganda,they where all very different from each other, except for some similarities between religion, they did far more fighting against each other than fighting against rome
the celts , where the same, very different from each other,
the greeks and latter the romans called the sythians ,sythians because it was much more simple to do than name off, about 100 different cultures
 rustytraveler
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2010 9:16:18 AM

up, classic case of hipocrasy I think. Maybe people should worry about and sort out the problems in their own backyard first before trying to correct everyone else's!

So only the Brits are allowed to coment on others cultural traits ? After all I think we learned this from your Royal Empire ;).
 oggers
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2010 11:49:54 AM
Oh come on , you lot, get it right ...

Its not just the Welsh that hate the English...
theres the Scots, the Irish, the French, the whole of the middle east, the Germans, the Icelanders ...

.. in fact almost as many people hate us as hate the Americans .... :-)
 want to travel
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2010 12:45:50 PM
you know i find this a bit funny, mat father was hungarian, my mother austrian,
i have been to all the new countries that made up the old austro hungarian empire, doesnt matter if the population, is slavic, or romanian, the cultures are really identical, the music the food, the achitecture, everything is exactly the same
someone from america would not be able to tell the difference at all, and yet all these people hate each other, sometimes with a passion,
 want to travel
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2010 11:34:26 AM
say what you will, but i am not an critic of the once great British Empire
sure they exploited its colonies,but at least it built roads, cities,universities,hospitals,and i am not even going to bring up great government
all you have to do is look at canada's government, and compare it with the american government, you know the one with an elected king,there still going by a of paper that was great 220 years ago, but we have developed,progressed, they are stuck in the 18th century
there is no way on earth that a canadan, can bring our country into war, like president bush did
talk about exploitation, take a good long look at the global economy,run by multi nationals corporations
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >