Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 normaldude
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Quitting smoking Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
way to go people! remember that you will taste much better when you french kiss with your partner!!!! and now that they have proven even "third hand" smoke(particles left on clothes , hair and any surfaces) are affecting others there has never been a better time to quit that sh1t!
 Hozo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/19/2009 6:06:37 PM
I quit in 1986, and what worked for me was bags and bags of Wint-O-Green Lifesavers.
They are very strong flavoured and have a similar sensation of that of menthol cigarettes in your mouth and air passages. They occupy and distract you, which tricks your cravings somewhat.
Inhaling air through your mouth with a Wint-O-Green on your tounge sends that sensation down your throat and into your lungs, much like inhaling. I ate them 24/7 for several weeks. They are only a few calories each so eat as many as you can handle.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 20
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/21/2009 12:53:06 AM
I used Nicotine Gum. Quitting was completely painless.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/21/2009 8:34:37 AM
This Friday will make one month since my last cigarette.

My technique was to spend about a week cutting down before the quit. I cut down by eliminating all the 'automatic' smokes, driven by habit rather than any real craving, and then after a couple of days every time I did feel a craving I'd tell myself "just wait a half hour, then if you still feel the urge, go for it". That got me down to 3-4 smokes a day in the course of a week from the nearly pack a day habit I had going.

Then when the time came, I convened a committee meeting of all my body parts. I told them "some of you are going to fight this at first, but ultimately you're all going to love the results. Lungs, you'll enjoy better working conditions right away. Brain, you're going to be the hardest to convince, I know, but trust me, life will be better on the other side. Heart, muscles, and the rest of you, you'll all thank me for making this decision. Let's all help each other out to get past the hard parts of this."

On December 23, 2008, I threw away my remaining cigs. I hadn't planned on doing it that particular day. I just reached a point where I decided "now is the time" and went for it. Ever since, whenever I feel the urge, I go back inside my body and convene another quick meeting of body parts. "This is going to be good, guys. Stick with me. Some of you can already feel the benefits, right?"

Of course, it also helps that I've started seeing a wonderful woman who is supportive of my effort without nagging and reminds me frequently how much she enjoys kissing a mouth that doesn't taste like an ashtray.

But I've quit for a woman before, and the problem there is that if problems ever arise in the relationship, it's too easy to use that as an excuse for having 'just one' cigarette. This time, although I'm enjoying the extra affection, I'm framing the effort as "I'm quitting for me and all my body parts."

Speaking of body parts, I've certainly noticed no drop in sex drive. Quite the opposite, but that could be due to other developments in my life.

Congrats to all who have quit successfully. Good luck to all embarking on or contemplating the effort. It's worth it!

Dave
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/22/2009 9:46:42 AM
I quit over a year ago.

I cut back gradually by writing down each cigarette I smoked (time). Then each day I'd add more and more time between cigarettes. Of course it helped that while at work, I was so doggone busy that I didn't have time for a break (or lunch) so I didn't smoke the entire time I was at work. I'd smoke on the way home from work, but never did smoke in my house.

I find I do not want to be around it (in bars) because I don't like the smell it leaves on my clothes and in my hair. I have not turned into a "smoke nazi" either ... just generally don't look for friends who do smoke.

When I get a scent of those who do ... as they walk by, I think ... "Oh Dear ... I used to smell like that ... YUK!!!"

Good luck to all who are quitting and congratulations to all who have accomplished it.

I know I like myself a lot more now that I am done with it.
 tallshyman
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 2:51:24 PM
Why do smokers to throw there cigarette butts on the ground? I live in a condo and want to tell them off when I see smokers throwing there cigarette butts in the parking lot where I live!!!!
 SAguy_06
Msg: 25
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 4:46:04 PM

...like alot of meds you gotta be willing to endure side effects....

stinky breath, stinky hair, stinky clothes, brown teeth, leathry skin, hacking morning cough...
 clasact
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 5:22:11 PM
From Internet Drug News (and I also asked a pharmacist about the claim)
"Although Chantix is not nicotine nor does it contain nicotine, it occupies and activates the nicotine receptors in the brain, producing a pleasurable sensation just like nicotine without the carbon monoxide, tar and cancer-causing compounds present in tobacco smoke."

I have smoked for 30 years, although in the last 10 years I've smoked anywhere from 1-1/2 packs to 2 packs a day and am now down to 4-5 cigarettes a day. I have cut down gradually. Although this process is more slow than using a drug I find that it will be better for me to gradually decrease the nicotine without synthetics mimicking the real thing.

As the above statement about Chantix is stated, this drug activates the nicotine receptors just like nicotine. A friend of mine had used Chantix and when she used this drug it was all good. Although when she came off using this drug as prescribed, she had a bit of a problem without it. The drug is still mimicking nicotine which is the addictive agent in cigarettes which we all know.

I usually carry hard candy with me and keep busy. I've also noticed that people who smoke around me doesn't make me want to light up just because they do, it doesn't bother me. And nearly everyone I work with smokes.
 daynadaze
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 7:10:48 PM

Why do smokers to throw there cigarette butts on the ground? I live in a condo and want to tell them off when I see smokers throwing there cigarette butts in the parking lot where I live!!!!

Not all do, but I'm guessing the same reason some beer drinkers/pop drinkers throw cans on the ground or leave paper cups/pop containers on the ground, or like the empty cup I saw today in Walmart, someone had finished their drink from a Quik Trip and instead of throwing it in the many trash containers in the store they stashed it on a shelf with the cold & flu meds. Because some people are asshats.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/13/2009 8:47:30 PM
I became a non-smoker January 1, 2000. It isn't sufficient to quit, you have to adopt the mindset of, and become a non-smoker.
I quit smoking over a period of 4 years by gradually reducing the amount of cigarettes I smoked per day. Once I got it down to less than 5 a day I stopped, permanently. Whenever I was tempted in the slightest, I would say to myself, "I don't want to do that, because I am a non-smoker." It helped.
Remind yourself every day that you are a non-smoker, and it will be much easier.
Avoid all smoking venues.
It also helps to date only other non-smokers.
 insert user name
Msg: 36
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/19/2009 9:24:37 AM

Because you forced them outside, away from their ashtrays.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/24/2009 10:28:44 AM
$8 a pack, and people still smoke?
When I began smoking they were 35 cents a pack for the premium brands. I could get cheaper brands for 25 cents a pack, and most brands, even some of the cheap ones, had redeemable coupons that were worth saving.
Of course, the cheap price was a great incentive to smoke and become addicted, but few actually made that logical connection at the time. I don't think anyone today really believes that smoking is healthy, or anything but slow suicide.
Understand that smoking is killing YOU, and it should become much easier to become a non-smoker.
 daynadaze
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/24/2009 5:07:25 PM
I started smoking when I was 9, stealing my dad's Lucky Strikes & Pall Malls, nasty unfiltered spiting out pieces of tobacco crap smoking. They cost 25 cents a pack and you could buy them any where, even if they questioned your age, you just wrote a note saying it was from your father and he wanted you to buy him a pack.

But I was never hooked on them, I thought people were nuts, talking about being addicted to tobacco. So anyway I stop and started as I felt like and then I stopped for 10 years. I was that total asshat who griped at smokers and told them how easy quitting was, how stupid smoking was, etc (I hate people like that) Then I started dating a man who smoked and I would smoke once in a while because it was fun and because he stunk and when you smoke too you don't notice the smell. I was hooked, quickly, really hooked and smoked for like the next 15 years. When I would try to stop I would want to bash my hand through the wall, it was that intense, the need to smoke. It was horrible.

So I no longer act an ass about smokers, I know how hard it is and I know how much I would still love to smoke. If I could breath and smoke and had the money, I'd still smoke because I love lighting up a cigarette and taking that puff, it's amazingly calming. How I quit, finally, was that I was in the hospital for 10 days, on oxygen and no way were they going to let me go outside and smoke, worse my window was facing the smoking area and I had to watch others getting to smoke, but I went 10 days without it and wasn't breathing too well when I went home so it was just pretty much quit or die soon. So this time I kept my packs of cigarettes in the house, so I knew I could smoke if I really wanted to, because not having cigarettes drove me nuts, I had them right there.

How did I do it? I just never lit one up again. Just like drinking or taking any other drugs, just don't do the first one and you never do it again. Yes, it was rough but after a while it's just a memory. I still see people light up and want one but no part of my brain is screaming for one, it's just psychological and I can handle that. That's the trick, no matter what method you use, you have to just never light one up again. I also gave up Mt. Dew because I always have one with the other, so breaking that routine helped a lot.
 spongeworthy4u
Msg: 48
Quitting smoking
Posted: 4/20/2009 6:11:47 AM
I'm using Bupropion right now. Like Welbutrin, it's a generic form of Zyban. Prescription only, but it only costs 10 bucks for a months supply.
I'm really likin it! Just passed the 18 hour smoke free mark 20 minutes ago, and doin good.
I do still WANT a cigarette from time to time, but I don't feel I NEED a cigarette. And of course, I keep finding myself reachin for a smoke during habit times, like after eating, driving to work and junk. But so far I'm extremely pleased with the results. Keep in mind, that my willpower is as bad, or worse, than anyone's.
Something that seems to be helping some is Camel Snus. Not sure how it's pronounced, but that's how it's spelled. It's like a nicotine pouch you put under your upper lip. While it helps with nicotine withdrawals, it does nothing against actual smoking withdrawals. Bupropion is handling that very nicely.
Anyone wanting to quit, Bupropion is a cheap way to go. I recommend it
Good luck to all you future quitters!
 HeyJenny
Msg: 51
Quitting smoking
Posted: 11/22/2009 11:54:01 PM
I don't believe anyone has mentioned this yet, getting hypotized in order to quit smoking. My parents smoked like chimneys and both quit for an entire year from one session !! My dad started again, my mom followed ,before she died of lung cancer she really suffered, I could have had her alot longer had she NOT smoked. Radiation and carrying around an oxygen tank is not fun ,that is if you are strong enough to walk, alot of times you aren't and not being able to breathe is a very scary thing.

The second very important thing is how alot of smokers complain about non-smoking areas ,etc. Well, I almost died from breathing in second hand smoke, I had a massive tumor in my chest and cysts in my upper left lobe of my lung which had to be closed off. I was 25 when I had major surgery for it.By a series of miracles i lived. Now I have asthma,so please when you are lighting up that cigarette think about your loved ones and the people around you. It affects everyone, not just you!!
 Viper1E
Msg: 52
Quitting smoking
Posted: 2/13/2012 2:22:50 PM
Ecigarettes are the only way to go. I haven't touched a real cigarette since 3/16/10, and I'm down to zero nicotine for over a year. Not only that, I pick up the esmoke maybe once every 2-3 days. And I doesn't even feel like I quit.

Which I didn't. I stopped smoking. My ex used to bug me all the time, and I would ask her: "Do you really want a man in your life that's a quitter?"

Oh and the two behaviors I tend to associate with smoking, are sex and poker..
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >