Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > does the christian cross offend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 heteroguy
Msg: 170
does the christian cross offend?Page 7 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
susieb, i was just wondering what you thought was "provocative" about cheeky jules's photo? it just looked like a girl, with a smile on her face, poking her tongue out, can't say this provoked me. maybe it's something else that's bugging you? touch of the old green eyed monster me thinks.....

this forum, to my mind at least, has been a microcosm of the larger religous world, different people wading in with very thinly veiled prejudice regarding certain faiths. surely no one on this forum is so backward as to believe that "certain" religions are peopled by mainly unpleasant types while "certain" other religions have nicer people practising within them? i think one or two of you thought that i had taken a rather negative view of islam, if i'm honest there is a lot of stuff that goes on within the islamic world that i am very uncomfortable with, women's rights (such as they are!) being a pertinent example, but i feel if you held islam up to christianity, you would probably find roughly the same amount of hypocrisy etc. it's just that what with the (relatively) recent influx of muslims and the 9/11 furore, muslim practices have been brought in to sharp focus recently.

i have spoken before though, of a militant minority of muslims, and indeed other faiths, who have taken advantage of, and indeed helped to foster, the current feverish politically correct climate in this country. you can blame these people for the situation we find ourselves in at the moment where we have to hide the cross and celebrate christmas "on the quiet" etc etc......BUT, we as citizens of the uk, also have to shoulder some of the blame too, we have allowed this state of affairs to develop in OUR country. why did we allow this situation to develop? why do we allow it to continue?
 Jim...
Msg: 171
does the christian cross offend?
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:29:03 AM

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Leviticus 18:22

Of course Jim you have fallen into the typical 'non-thinking' view that this translates into you cannot 'sleep with' another man, when it could equally mean (if we were actually to take it literally and not add personal biases to it) that you shouldn't lie (tell an untruth) to other men, but can lie to women, a bit like most blokes do on here according to other threads I have read !

You must be in the minority of one to believe that interpretation. The original latin does not allow such an error in meaning. As for lies, it's covered in the commandments with no gender exceptions.

Heteroguy: I'm stunned that I can't argue with anything you just posted.
 cheekyjules
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:43:01 AM
LOL Thanks Hetro ;-)

TBH I dont know an awful lot about Islam. I only know what I hear and thats nothing to form a definate opinion on.

What I do know is we dont bomb innocent people in the name of Christianity. (refer to previous terror attacks)

Before I can comment futher on the Islamic faith Hetro, I really must read up on it first.. but I cant be arsed!

*Goes to read about Convents instead*
 stew_67
Msg: 173
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:51:38 AM

: Oil is not Chistianity.

politics sportswriter thats all about oil ,not religion .

regilion is a tool used to justify war....

greed fuels everything sportswriter not oil
 heteroguy
Msg: 174
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:01:45 AM
yeah cheekyjules, i know what you mean, i can't claim to be an expert on the muslim faith, however, there are a lot of things that i see in the papers/news channels that i don't like to see. certain factions of the aforementioned do seem to be a little behind the times on certain issues such as law and order....i'm appalled at the treatment meted out to women who have been raped in some arab states, i'm also not massively impressed with people being stoned to death, for any reason. in my view, theft should never be punishable by any sort of amputation either, IN MY OPINION the muslim/arab countries do tend to lag behind western countries with regard to human rights, particularly for women.

please don't any clever****come up with the old "you can't believe everything you see in the media" trick to argue with my point please, i read a selection of newspapers, and watch more than one news channel, i am, i like to think, astute enough to realise that any newspaper or media outlet will be a lense through which the political views of the owner will colour the way the news is presented. you have to trust the media to a certain extent though, how else would we keep up to date on things? i take any news with a slight pinch of salt, meaning that if i read a story in multiple newspapers i'd be far more likely to believe it than if i read it in just one.....i take in as much evedence as i can, from differing sources, run it through my internal "bullshit filter" then make my own mind up.
 stew_67
Msg: 175
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:10:21 AM

We seem petrified of Muslims now.

A certain person mentioned /asked where you came from sportswriter.
all religions should be respected ,muslims ,new age ,whatever you chose .
and who said anything about being afraid of muslims???
if any christian visited a muslim country and was viewing a programe on tv
and see a muslim religious icon would they be offended , answer NO
same goes for our cross being shown on our tv's in our counrty
 heteroguy
Msg: 177
Posted: 1/27/2009 7:09:50 AM
exactly stew, the only reason i believe that SOME (not all!) newcomers pretend to be offended by our cross, is that they have come here from afar because we offer a better way of life in many respects, BUT, the one thing they don't want to have to put up with is US! the ostensibly christian, indigeneous population who they hate with a passion. it's like: " do you mind if we come in here in great numbers, set up our own (sometimes) insular communities with our own laws, be given social housing/benefits and permission to build our own religous infrastructure (i.e places of worship) and generally build a life, but can we just step all over the people who have lived here for generations and their many institutions because if we are honest, we don't like them very much? to which we seem to be replying: mmmm yeah go for it!
 Pisk
Msg: 178
Posted: 1/27/2009 7:40:19 AM
Hmmmm Im a little confused here, just did a little light reading in response to sportswriters comment..

It seems that not that long ago 150-200 yrs, women of the Islamic faith were highly regarded by their peers and held high profile positions, accountants, lawyers etc.
Islamic countries were one of the first to give women the vote...WFT happened??!!!

Hetroguy, "do you mind if we come in here in great numbers, set up our own (sometimes) insular communities with our own laws, be given social housing/benefits and permission to build our own religous infrastructure (i.e places of worship) and generally build a life, but can we just step all over the people who have lived here for generations and their many institutions because if we are honest, we don't like them very much? to which we seem to be replying: mmmm yeah go for it! "

You mean a little like the Brits who move to Spain, the ones who hate the fact all these immigrants arrive in the UK so they up sticks and move to the continent?
 Pisk
Msg: 179
Posted: 1/27/2009 7:42:36 AM
Hmmmmmmmm Im wondering whats up with Jules' pic? Nothing wrong with it...or perhaps cheeky looking Catholics poking their tongues out shouldnt be on a dating site? What a silly comment....
 stew_67
Msg: 180
Posted: 1/27/2009 7:59:28 AM
pisk ,this is just an honest sincere question ,
a while back you mentioned about the 10 commandments and about having sex before marriage with sin in mind .

plain fact is no one is sin free and if someone who followed whatever religion you follow
and they had sex before marriage ,do they pray to/ask for forgiveness from something ???

sincerely stew ..

p.s in Iran the women used to be able to study and were in high regard but since no longer allowed to study under new rules/laws post 1970's thats put an end to their lives as such

jules is a sweetheart,young and free and can confess her sins in church ,judge not ................................
 Kev_71
Msg: 181
Posted: 1/27/2009 8:12:02 AM
It worth noting that, as easy as it to bash Islam, or at least unreconstructed militant Islam for its treatment of Women amongst other things, Christianity was responsible for the Inquisition less that 500 years ago; both faiths have their skeletons in their belfries...and it also goes to show that no faith is a white as white. Perhaps Buddism does seem a nice alternative after all...
 heteroguy
Msg: 182
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:19:27 AM
oh pissk! you are a one aren't you? did i actually say that english people didn't do this? er no. as usual, instead of offering a proper counterpoint to the main thrust of my argument, you scan through my post hoping to find a minor point or technicality you can seize upon... you are not unlike a mosquito fluttering around a lions arse... a minor irritation but not offering any real challenge. in this case you are trying to make the point that brits who flee this country are just the same as the incoming immigrants i believe? on a superficial level you may be right, but i feel more sorry for the fleeing brits, many of whom would of stayed on in the country of their birth if it wasn't being slowly but surely picked apart piece by piece by a PC crazed governing party whom don't have to live in the places that their stupid policies so often ruin. the incoming immigrants want to come here for one reason or another, and come here all too happily it seems, judging by the number of them that turn up here every day....on the other hand, some of the people i have spoken to who are fleeing aren't always best pleased that they have had to leave, but they felt compelled to as where they were living had deteriorated to such a degree. but with the PC brigade strangling any kind of reasonable debate on immigration, many people are fleeing blighty, feeling they are no longer meaningfully represented by politicians...how sad.
 Kev_71
Msg: 183
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:57:49 AM
Death of the nation state is imminent?
 Pisk
Msg: 184
Posted: 1/27/2009 10:35:51 AM
Hi Stew,

Well....I dont follow Christianity, and the whole sin thing is not part of my belief system. If you dont believe in 'sin' and you dont believe in the Christian god then it wouldnt apply to my way of living. I believe in morals of course, but as far as my belief system is concerned, sex before marriage is up to the couple or individual in question.

In case you were wondering, I am a Celtic Pagan, born and raised in Cornwall, my family have been Pagans dating back to my great grandfather who was a Druid ( Bard).
So the short answer Stew, is no, no praying or asking for forgiveness for sex before marriage....( I wouldnt marry anyway!) Re Jules Stew, I was pointing out how silly the other posters comment was about her being on here, I wasnt having a bleat about Jules! :)

Hetro ***Hetro...you take things far too personally...its not all about you, just an observation, but as usual you seem to like having a little dig at me for no reason at all.
 Humbum
Msg: 185
Posted: 1/27/2009 11:56:20 AM
"Christianity was responsible for the Inquisition less that 500 years ago"

Oh so recent I can rember it like yesterday....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gldlyTjXk9A
 Humbum
Msg: 186
Posted: 1/27/2009 11:57:57 AM
... .... rember try remember
 heteroguy
Msg: 187
Posted: 1/27/2009 12:57:43 PM
actually pisk, now i know you are a pagan, you have gone up in my estimation. anyone who follows anything that is a little "off the beaten track" so to speak, has my respect. i have read a little on this subject and found it intriguing to say the least. i also recently saw "the whicker man", (can almost hear you groan!) a film about people in an isolated part of the uk who are pagan's and whom eventually sacrifice poor old edward woodward....seeing this film prompted me to read up on the subject. paganism is a very broad term though isn't it? i think most people who initially think of paganism, imagine ritual sacrifice etc on a cheap hammer horror film set, i know that that "paganism" CAN mean many different things, it is a bit of a catch all term for any religion other than christianity, islam and judaism i believe, which would cover many types of religous activity. that's what i read on wikipedia anyway, which i know hardly makes me an authority...
 oggers
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:08:38 PM
does this mean that Bhuddists are pagans ... ?!
 heteroguy
Msg: 189
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:13:03 PM
wikipedia says that paganism can mean anything from eastern religions to native american spiritual practices....or words to that effect. not sure about buddhism though, have a look at paganism on wikipedia mate, that will set you right.
 Kev_71
Msg: 190
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:29:32 PM

Oh so recent I can rember it like yesterday....

Well, its easy to attack one religion and not the others, thinking that our faith is the correct one, but in fact is also littered with inconsitancies and falsehoods throughout its passage through the misty haze of history. True?
 cheekyjules
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:48:56 PM
No Sportswriter you are wrong, dinosaurs were called Dragons in the bible, they wasn't given the name dinosaur til the 19th century.
 Jim...
Msg: 192
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:44:59 PM

'Stew 67', I can assure if I write any anti-Muslim comment 'I' and 'it' will be gone in ten seconds. The same for Judaism comments. Thats not the case for anti-Budhist and Christian comment, is it? We are terrified of Islam.

Not true, there are plenty of comments slating Islam and Muslims.. I even wrote one of them and I'm still here.

There is a media frenzy that is keen to pick on 'Muslims' as the present evil facing our country, but have they inflicted any more death and destruction on us than did the IRA? Should we look at them askance because they choose to vigorously defend any slight to their religion, as is their right under our laws?

I do believe we are way too sensitive about offending minorities though. I also wonder how many muslims watch corrie in any case. Had there been any complaints, I suspect it would have been from christians objecting to a church being used for a sham wedding rather than anything else, as mentioned previously in the thread.
 Agapis
Msg: 193
Posted: 1/28/2009 7:15:14 AM

No Sportswriter you are wrong, dinosaurs were called Dragons in the bible, they wasn't given the name dinosaur til the 19th century.

thats correct. Sir Richard Owen coined the term (the crazy, crazy man).
they are also referred to as giants in religious texts.

"There were giants in the earth in those days.—Genesis, VI, 4"
 cheekyjules
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 7:52:17 AM
^^^ Alas

Somebody who knos what I am talking about

This same peice is being debated on the creation/evolution thread.

It proves that us Humans knew about Dinosaurs long before science of this age proved it.
 Pisk
Msg: 195
Posted: 1/28/2009 8:17:05 AM
Hetro, yes Paganism is a VERY broad term. Sadly some like to follow it for the 'Buffy' factor...'ooooohh its soooo mysterious'. Its not. To me and my family its just a way of life, its what I have been brought up with, and what makes sense to me. Wicca is fairly new, early 20th cent, but witchcraft of some sort or another has as you know been around for donkeys years. However, I am not Wiccan whilst I know a little about it, I couldnt comment about exactly what a Wiccan does at a 'Moot'.

Check out the Boscastle Museum of Witchcraft on line they have some interesting bits and bobs about Paganism in Cornwall...personally I think the Wicker Man idea should be bought back between the months of April and September...we get inundated with tourists, no one would know if a few went missing would they?!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > does the christian cross offend?