Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cargy.
Msg: 6
view profile
History
does the christian cross offend?Page 7 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I would only find it really troubling if I were nailed to one.
 oggers
Msg: 15
view profile
History
does the christian cross offend?
Posted: 1/19/2009 12:12:55 PM
Christian (or any other religious) nobheads who think they bloody well own this (or any other) country

Actually, they do own the bloody country ....

the Royal Family own the country and they are themselves Christians ( Cof E i think) In fact it was the Royal Family that invented the Church of England a few hundred years ago ....

This is a Christian country

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

None of the present royals were around at the time.

True, although Phillip is knocking on a bit, he must have been around at the time.
Henry was Royalty at the time - I didn't say which Royal family !

oggers
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 12:31:24 PM
the Royal Family own the country

Only about a fifth of it (cant remember exact acreage but you should get the point)

Oh I get the point ... Do you practice at being a pedant or does it come naturally? ;)

To all intents and purposes, the Royal Family "own" the country, they are the monarchy that rules over England Scotland Wales and Ulster. How much of it that they actually own as in deeds to the land I dont really care ......
 oggers
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 12:53:21 PM

they are the monarchy that rules over .....Ulster

Do the inhabitants of counties Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal realise this ?

You of all people should know that the name Ulster is informally used as a name for Northern Ireland.... especially by us ignorant English ...

tired of your pedantry now, you get the point...
 pantsonfire
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2009 12:41:08 AM
Great Britain is a Monarchy, Whether or not you are a Monarchist that is what it is..

The Monarchy are Church of England .. The Queen is the Head of the Church of England ...

Ergo Great Britain is deemed a Christian country ...

It matters not that the entire race is not Christian, nor that the majority of those who call themselves Christian cannot reel off long segments of the Bible autodidact style...

This country is predominantly Christian ..

Having said that, this story is yet another lets not offend the unoffendable pile of kak...

99.9 % of non Christians wouldn't have even noticed the cross, let alone be offended by it...
 Marmite baby
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2009 10:31:12 AM
I didn't notice, but icons of other religions go over my head, like other millisecond tube posters.Doesn't bother me personally either.But the reason does. In that people should feel free to express their faith.
Plus the story is set in Manchester.The characters in question would get married in churches. The story line has to be authentic.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2009 6:54:04 AM
Swooooooshhh ,, Sound of wind blown tumble weeds crossing the thread...

That was really bloody awful Vwulme ... Now I'm offended by your cross... Go make an apology on air a la Brand and Wossy..!!
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2009 5:39:08 AM
Can someone wake me up when the tumbleweed blows past, I want to ask it what happened next on Corrie, cos I don't watch soaps
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2009 12:25:58 PM

this little nougat

NOW we are talking, rather have nougat any day then nuggets of information
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2009 5:09:35 PM

judging by your photo you are no spring chicken, i imagine you are retired, which means you are old enough to be my father.....i [/quote}

When did age have a bearing on having an opion ?
 oggers
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:08:38 PM
does this mean that Bhuddists are pagans ... ?!
 diabolikk
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 9:40:31 AM
A religious symbol only offends (the worst kind of) non religious person. It does because it reminds them how they do not believe in anything but here-and-now and how they do not have the depht of gut to hold a belief.

Most secular or atheist people are very decent but they have a minority which is hell-bent (hell bent? Now I used an anachronism here) in ridiculing people of faith simply because they have no faith nor hope.

And to live without hope is the saddest human condition.

I wear a cross wherever I go. May it be Morocco, Israel or Thailand. No Muslim, Jew or Bhuddist ever and I mean ever told me to take it off.
 diabolikk
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:51:27 AM
Jim...my post didn't want to be offensive and it isn't when you ready it carefully. I do talk about a minority of atheists, not the very vast majority to which you seem to belong to.

However,
"Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself" (is not a bad philosophy surely?)"
...do you realise that is one of the 10 Commandments given to Moses by God?

Do you realise that basicly the whole of your thought, as you have expressed it, is basically Christianity in a nutshell?
 diabolikk
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 1:59:48 PM
Jim...you are absolutely right in your idea of religion. It has and it still is...and sadly it will most likely always be, the main reason, whichever way it is and however genuine that is, for which human kill other humans. In the name of God.
However, religion I agree, as you rightly say, is carried out by men but then my point is why, so, renouncing to "believe" to punish a God for something He hasn't done?
Your revulsion, like mine, is to the opera of men, not God.

I beg to differ on J. Lennon being in the same sentence as all the other entities you mention but hey, that's ok. :-)
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 1:17:49 AM
stopped doing god stuff when a teenager, if you get your kicks from kneeling down towards the east or kneeling in front of a couple of bits of wood holding a story book in both cases, then go for it...

Does nothing for me and have far too many wars based on "my god is better than your god"

Only thing I object to is getting god lovers trying to convert me into their religion

Scared off the jehovah witnesses with the kids in tow a few years back, working night shift, had someone bang on the door repeatedly, stormed downstairs to ask wtf they wanted, cue a sharp intake of breath and the kids realised had not put my pants on properly as things were hanging down the side

Undestand creationism to be everything made in 7 days, must be a tough time explaining the fossils that people keep digging up

as for islam, some people have worked out when the prophet had sex with his wife, he was 54, she was 9, go figure...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >