Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jez4u
Msg: 84
why do people stay on POF after meeting someone?Page 2 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
If meeting Mr. or Mrs. Right and if they continue to stay on POF to me they are not on the same page. If I have an interest I would leave the site and except the same from him. Also, I think after awhile some view these site's as a Candy Store and like to continue shopping. If that is the case than it time to move on and let him continue to shop!
 jm0405
Msg: 88
why do people stay on POF after meeting someone?
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:55:39 AM
I am a forum junkie!!! Actually, my attitude is this: If I am the end of all ends, then he will be on here for forum conversation and he wouldn't step out. If we are a mismatched pair, don't belong then he can leave me or cheat on me here, Match.com, in a bar, in a grocery store, etc. It really depends on the relationship itself and what you mean to each other more than anything.
 barbee1970
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/5/2009 6:10:05 AM
I haven't really started exclusively dating, but if I was seeing someone, I wouldn't browse the site. I love the forums but I feel like if I stayed it might ruin things. I would say maybe it's the forums. They're addictive.
 ncessential
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/5/2009 6:12:01 AM
That is a good question. If I found someone who I was really into. I would talk to them about POF. To see if I was going to stay on it or not. I post alot on forums. I guess it would need a discussion between the both of us.
 bamaangel642002
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 9:03:17 AM
i stay on here for the forums.thay are very adactive.i love the forums.my b.f.stayes on for friends he has made.we both have on our profiles not single not looking.i am sure not on here looking for anyone else.i am very happy with who i have.
 Demps0431
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/5/2009 9:50:54 PM
Test first reply. BTW, you sound very nice.
 Demps0431
Msg: 101
Posted: 2/5/2009 9:54:55 PM
Test failed. I thought it would reply to message I selected on p. 1. Or does it always go last?
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 103
Posted: 2/6/2009 3:19:37 AM
last one stayed on to keep his options open because he is a pathological f u k
 Demps0431
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/6/2009 9:57:30 PM
Thanks Briannazg2 -- so this below is one/the way to reply to you personally?

[Briannazg2
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2009 1241 AM
Or does it always go last?
Y e s]
 previouslyme
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/6/2009 11:10:29 PM
It is an addiction! It is a social network just like anyother place you go and people watch. Just because you have your own life, it is interesting to keep an eye on what others are up to.
 sctrrdr69
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 6:42:10 AM
I've been on here for 4 years, have only dated 3 women from here,(and yet I've been accused of being a serial dater, lmmfao)..but ...most of my local friends, people I hang out with, some of my riding buddys etc, are on here as well, it's a social thing, and for the persons that think it's just a 'dating thing' soooooo not true.
 Demps0431
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/8/2009 8:32:24 PM
The message you are replying to:
Posted By: briannazg2 on 2/7/2009 2:02:11 AM
Subject: why do people stay on POF after meeting someone?
Message: I tried to send you a reply, but you do not accept mail from someone my age or gender...

go to this link it helps newbies....
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts614124.aspx#13
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you briannazg2. I had set my female age limit far too high for fishing. I have now reset it to all ages (and genders) for non-fishing messages. I went to the link, and copied it. I'll try to deal with it later when I'm fresher (mentally).
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/8/2009 8:50:36 PM

We started dating - not exclusively or anything like that but kind of regularly.

Don't know your exact situation, but if you are dating regularly (frequently), it is, by default, exclusive. Someone has to say something about it not being exclusive, not the other way around. It kind of goes without saying when you're in communication almost every day and seeing each other a couple times a week.

btw, we are not still dating. kind of ruined it for me to know that he was still on POF. Reason I was still on was basically to see if he was.

Uhhh, dude. Why didn't you put on there "Not Single/Not Looking" if you were JUST still on here to see if he was on here? lol

IMO, if you met on here and you really like the person, you take it off when you know you've mutually clicked and are dating regularly. Don't get me wrong, there's gray areas. When you're past the pre-dating phase or "conveniently datable option" phase, and see each other on a frequent basis after even as soon as a few weeks, ya just hide the profile or mark yourself as Not Single/Not Looking or something.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 115
Posted: 2/8/2009 9:29:42 PM
I've been on here for 4 years, have only dated 3 women from here,(and yet I've been accused of being a serial dater, lmmfao)..but ...most of my local friends, people I hang out with, some of my riding buddys etc, are on here as well, it's a social thing, and for the persons that think it's just a 'dating thing' soooooo not true.

You saved me a few keystrokes in my quest for carpel tunnel! (My thoughts exactly, well, except for the riding buddies thing.)
 i_am_tiff_21
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/11/2009 9:27:37 PM
I just read the forums. I hid my profile.
 Amma63
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/12/2009 6:02:04 AM
For the forums - plain and simple. For me, anyhow......

My profile is disabled - I am not looking for anyone.

My boyfriend is aware that I like the forums here, and that I've met some nice people via them.

B.
 FTWFella
Msg: 126
Posted: 2/14/2009 6:56:19 AM

Because - they are not convinced of their decision and they are hedging their bets... all the while making every silly excuse in the world to justify their continuing to 'shop'...

FTWfella
 JLarsson
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2009 7:06:58 AM
1. They don't even come here anymore so they forget to hide the profile.
2. They use the forums when they are bored.
3. They are still dating other women from here.

joe
 Voilamoi
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/21/2009 11:20:31 AM

Forum Troll Removed
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 148
Posted: 2/22/2009 8:52:41 PM
I stay because it pleases me to do so.
Was that somehow someone's business to know?
 mlt71
Msg: 156
Posted: 3/1/2009 8:47:47 PM
To have sex with new people
 Tigress
Msg: 159
Posted: 3/3/2009 7:48:07 AM
THEY COME FOR THE FORUMS! Even after you are in a relationship, you can still come here for relationship advise, sex advise, advise on how to deal with a blended family, etc.
 Tigress
Msg: 160
Posted: 3/3/2009 7:52:57 AM
I have on my profile that I am just looking for friends. I am in a serious relationship.
If someone messages me, I thank them for the compliment, say that it's nice to meet them, and tell them I am taken.

Then, I go back to the FORUMS!
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 162
Posted: 3/3/2009 8:01:43 AM
Strokke said...

I've learned the hard way to always try to have a potential relationship or two in the early stages of development once things start to turn south.

I totally disagree with this! Hey, until you're set in the dating phase with someone (have consistently seen each other and it goes on auto-pilot in doing so), you shouldn't have to put your profile in hibernation or deletion. Sure, there's gray areas, but many times you -know- when it's understood, even before any official announcements of "boyfriend"/"girlfriend".

With that said, if you're in a relationship and it's starting to turn south, you don't hit the bars to pick up women or hop online to set up potential relationships. Dude, that's cheating... you're guaranteeing the relationship's going to end without ending it. WTF? If you're so sure it IS going to end, then just end it then! But ya probably say it's a safety precaution or something... oh man...

After experience, many people can be very hasty to assume things are "starting to turn south", and will jump on other opportunities. What then is stopping you from hooking up "while my relationship's going south"?

Problems:
(a) It wasn't starting to turn south... you just ran into some problems.
(b) Having a hair trigger on Plan B for other options will make problems truly turn the relationship south if they really weren't starting to already.
(c) If you have some optimism in mind and still go for other options, and your relationship's problems was just a false alarm -- you just led a lot of ladies on!
(d) If (c) occurs, and somehow your girlfriend finds out, then you REALLY WILL be in a world of trouble, and you just ruined it!

Basically, it's emotional selfishness... or "I hate being single" syndrome. Sure, there are situations where it HAS turned south, and you've broken up but are still involved in practice and it's not good for ya... yes, go for other options. But always needing a potential girlfriend on the back-burner, even when you're in a relationship with some problems -- that's not good! I think every relationship (good or bad) will have its moments where you feel that it may be starting to turn south, and it ends up being just fine!
 swingpup
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2009 11:07:29 AM
Even while in a "relationship"......One never knows when that special "trophy" may come swimming along. Therefore many will keep their bait in the water.

It maybe the "I hate being single" syndrome or it maybe the "I love being single and plan on staying that way" syndrome. In any event.....happy fishing, enjoy and good luck to everyone!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >