Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wtyl
Msg: 313
why do people stay on POF after meeting someone?Page 7 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Does everyone get the 'helpful' articles when you log off of PoF?

It seems like one very common piece of advice in the articles is 'keep dating a variety of people'.

Which in PoF context is 'keep that profile active'!
 rec_diver
Msg: 314
why do people stay on POF after meeting someone?
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:36:01 PM

domo31:
Im staying on until Im engaged. If that ever happens. Because until engagement nothing is really serious. Thats just reality.

No, it's not reality to think that engagement, or even marriage is "serious" at least to the extent that you seem to think it is.

Almost 60% of first marriages fail, second marriages fail at rates over and above that, infidelity is rampant in over half of marriages.. and engagements are routinely broken before there's ever an exchange of useless, meaningless vows.

Don't kid yourself.
 Pinayto
Msg: 315
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:36:33 PM
well, why do you think that AFTER just 1 meet that person is THE 1? I don't mind if I got on first meets on guys I met here and they are still on pof. Unless, we decided to be exclusive to each other and that's definitely after several dates, then it is definitely time to say bye bye to dating sites.
 MustangGirl1965
Msg: 316
Posted: 2/3/2012 2:13:23 AM
I've met someone and have hidden my POF profile. We met on another site, where both our profiles are still active...I will delete mine when he deletes his and not before.

He told me that he won't be using his account any more...and so far he's proven that as he has not been active since the day before he told me this. I'm still active but I told my contacts that I had planned to meet that I have met someone and we've gone exclusive. They were all very understanding although one or two were a bit upset as they were quite keen to meet. I'm also not accepting new contact from anyone and I have put in my profile that I'm busy right now...I copied pretty much what he said once we met.
 meeshelli
Msg: 317
Posted: 2/3/2012 9:22:18 PM
I am on here for the forums as well, actually I changed my profile to friends and is not looking for a relationship of any kind.. I also have friends that we message back and forth..
 icefishingrl
Msg: 318
Posted: 2/4/2012 12:27:51 PM
Whoa, how about a little respect for peoples' values, even when they're not shared by you, 'wannabe Alpha guy. ' ( rec_diver)

These days it seems like it's only 'politically correct' to trash peoples' morals and principles. I have read sex related posts on here that nearly made me puke, yet there were three or four posters who defended the poster's right to his sexual proclivities...

I used to find you entertaining and even humorous, the last few posts I read that were attributed to you have been over the top' mean spirited.
 largo2
Msg: 319
Posted: 2/4/2012 12:45:17 PM
Just to clarify, 60% of first marriages do not end in divorce. Please check your facts before spewing.
 ssteffie
Msg: 320
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 7:57:55 PM
Agree with you entirely....some people are addicted to sites....possibly looking for someone better and cannot see what they have already! Iits a vicious circle, cant understand it myself....surely sites serve a purpose....not a need?
 trh1268
Msg: 321
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 9:40:44 PM
Why do women, not people, if that's what you meant, because they like interviewing other canidates instead of giving a guy another chance. They like to hold 4 ACES in the hole, they don't have the heart to play the game of CHANCE with ''nice guys''. Gals are so worried guys will beat them with a straight flush over 4 ACES.
 BEACHBUM611
Msg: 322
Posted: 2/4/2012 10:28:43 PM
I'm trying to find out that same thing. I could be they're looking for something better, or maybe looking a second person, or a third. Whatever it is, it's crazy to have a mate and be on a dating site.
 Pinky127
Msg: 323
Posted: 2/4/2012 10:51:04 PM
I haven't read the 18 pages but im sure its been mentioned many times that a LOT of people are just here for the Forums and are certainly NOT looking to meet anyone behind their partners' back.

Usually they're upfront about this on their profile but it still doesnt stop the emails and abuse coming in
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 324
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:52:07 AM
They stay on here for the forums, & it's a social networking site. I have a female friend on here, we email each other almost everyday, I love the contact w/her, we've become close internet friends. I wouldn't give that up, even if I became exclusive, I'd still be on here to talk to her & to be on the forums.
 glassboro2012
Msg: 325
Posted: 10/21/2012 3:46:22 AM
I think rationalizing staying on POF after having met someone and being in a relationship with them is BS. If you are in a 'relationship" with someone and still on POF, then you arent committed and want to keep your options open. If you have made real friends on POF, it would make more sense to give them your email address and/or phone number. Maybe it is a need for attention.
 DempseySR32
Msg: 326
Posted: 10/21/2012 3:44:43 PM
People stay on here to to find a better deal than they have already. They are keeping their options open. If you're dating someone especially a woman and she's still on here don't expect to keep her around for long. The grass is always greener.
 Goldylocs631
Msg: 327
Posted: 7/31/2014 5:15:47 PM
If you are still looking for the TRPOHY then you are not serious about the one you are seeing!
 Goldylocs631
Msg: 328
Posted: 7/31/2014 5:18:35 PM
As a women, how do u meet women on here?
 RandyB1965
Msg: 329
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:29:36 AM
Bang on uneverknow71!! We can all chose to do whatever we so wish and justify it however we so wish but the bottom line is as you said, "it's like continuing to go out to bars by yourself just for the attention and then saying it doesn't mean anything...it's a dating site, not a friendship site"
Cheers bud!
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 330
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:49:06 AM

.it's a dating site, not a friendship site"

LOL, Yes and no.
There ARE regular Forum contributors who came here single and yet remain after finding their BF/GF, SO, or even husband or wife. What they do or do not do behind the scenes is none of our business.
I choose to believe they are happy, I know I am, and I can only speak for myself, I have my profile hidden. Even if my profile was not hidden, I clearly state and show from my profile that I am happily IN a relationship.

While posting/replying/conversing in the POF Forums, a person can ask questions, answer questions, post recipes, tell jokes, debate current events, compliment fellow POF users, (and slam them, Grrrrr) and often along the way, find a "friend" or two or three.
To assume otherwise?????
Says more about the one assuming, than the assumed.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 2:06:55 PM

"it's like continuing to go out to bars by yourself just for the attention and then saying it doesn't mean anything...it's a dating site, not a friendship site"

I agree. As said above me though, the exception is the Forums, and throwing in the Not Single / Not Looking option. But the forums is a separate site tied to POF where you're not finding someone thru the dating search engine that's 99.999% of the site altogether. If one's using the actual site (requires a separate login/re-login) to find-a-companion, it's a dating site, not a platonic site (although you could end UP having that as a by-product of its use; much the same as you don't go to India to find lettuce, although you could happen upon lettuce while you're out there for the real purposes of being there)
 sigungq
Msg: 332
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2015 6:40:21 PM
Personally, I'll probably stay on POF the rest of my life, if just for the forums. I love spreading a little venom in here every once in a while.........
 kj521
Msg: 333
Posted: 7/28/2015 6:48:49 PM
Listen here Mr. Sigungq!

You're going to have to adopt a little sunnier disposition if we our to keep our date in Sept.!

Mr. Clooney? Sig needs some of your wine.....I drank all mine. :/
 sigungq
Msg: 334
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2015 6:51:54 PM
Actually Mz. KJ, what I was trying to say, was that even if (and that's a HUGE IF) I were to meet someone, and even get married, I would still be here if only for the forums. I do enjoy you folks quite a bit.

So there, I said it....... :P
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 335
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2015 9:38:19 PM
Gave up the dating side four years ago but love the forums. Would be sad if that were ever to disappear.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 336
Posted: 7/29/2015 2:27:03 AM
I've been here for the forums since 2006 regardless of any relationship(s) I had over the years.

That trend may continue for me, but my interest waxes & wanes...sometimes I just need a break from online...but when cold winters have me snowed in...
 Hearton64
Msg: 337
Posted: 7/29/2015 4:21:06 AM

Actually Mz. KJ, what I was trying to say, was that even if (and that's a HUGE IF) I were to meet someone, and even get married, I would still be here if only for the forums. I do enjoy you folks quite a bit.

So there, I said it....... :P

I second that!

I joined in 2008,found my guy here in 2009
Found the forums and stayed for the cyber interaction
with interesting people.

But I'm sure some who stay after they find someone
Stay for reasons less innocent reasons.

Playa's gonna play!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >