Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 43
The passage of time..Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think when you are younger, time goes by slowly (didn't it?). You spend all your time wishing for the future, for when you can date, when you can drink, when you can get out of school, etc.

But at this age (I figure I'm smack in the middle of my life), I still look to the future, but I also have started looking to the past. I never did that when I was young. I think as you get older and older, you stop looking so much to the future (because you can see the black wall that is the end of your life) and look more to the past, what you accomplished, what you failed at.

Since I can see the future HAS an end, yes, time is going by REALLY quickly. I'll tell stories and think something happened 5 years ago, and it was 15 years ago!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 44
The passage of time..
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:42:12 AM
Relativity. . . . When I was four, the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas was at least 18 years. In school, summer was a least a year, September to May was at least 70 years. My neighbor said the year he was fifteen, and waiting for his driver's license, was 42 years. Last week, I was practicing making sure I was putting '08 on my checks, and today, already, it's '09. And it's at least three years till my eight o'clock call tonight. So perhaps, what's behind us went fast, what's in front, good, bad, indifferent, is slow?

*mandrake*
Msg: 46
The passage of time..
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:55:11 AM
Make every second, every breath and every dream count! In a field of crystal white snow, life is one flake!
 Gaddflye
Msg: 48
The passage of time..
Posted: 1/24/2009 12:56:10 PM
We know Socrates was forced to drink hemlock to end his days prematurely. It seems his toilet paper roll was spun quite rapidly near the end of his life by the powers that were. Perhaps the people in charge back then had heard enough from Socrates. Maybe he was a real downer and just too depressing. More recently some modern philosopher said something like "Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive." Who was that?
 Gaddflye
Msg: 52
The passage of time..
Posted: 1/24/2009 1:32:48 PM
Thank you Ismene and Libby for IDing old Elbert. I checked him out and he was quite a corn pone philosopher, in a way a predecessor to Will Rogers. Anyway, Elbert left a few other memorable quotes for posterity which I find applicable to my experiences in the forums; among them "A woman will doubt everything you say but it be compliments to herself." and "If you can not answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names."
 ItsMargo
Msg: 55
view profile
History
The passage of time..
Posted: 1/24/2009 10:33:22 PM
Time does seem to pass quicker... but I wouldn't have thought it is because we over-estimate time. My pet theory is that we refuse to *grasp* how old we are... so when I reach back to a memory it is common to say "10 years ago" and then to stop and think "OMG,no, that was actually 20 years ago". Leads to those moments of realizing one is aging 'oh crap, was that really 20 yeas ago? - I'm getting old!"
 ohthereugo
Msg: 56
The passage of time..
Posted: 1/25/2009 4:26:13 AM
I forgot what i did yesterday and theres no point in planning the future because i forget what i planned .

The passage of time is a vechile to get to your destination and they do say death comes quickly .

Time can only be spent once .

Do i think about what time is left .
well im 50 so what time is left for me i will use the way i have allways done and thats spending the time on my choices in life .

I dont think time goes faster its just as time goes by your end becomes closer .

When you where young it was so far away now its around the corner .
So maybe thats why you think it goes faster .

Will you have enough time to do what you want to do on this planet

no of course not

But it doesnt matter anyway because thats not what is important
what is important is that your happy with the time you had .

Remember the young lads 18 19 went to war ww11 they knew their time was up i wonder how they felt knowing every minute they moved forward that time was to stop ticking any second .. now thats scary

Live your life as well as you can thats all we can do .

Time i went to bed .. and waste another 8 hours lol
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 57
The passage of time..
Posted: 7/15/2012 10:32:11 AM
No matter what the age, be active.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 58
The passage of time..
Posted: 7/15/2012 11:44:45 AM
I remember being a child and being bored within the first week of summer. Now summer is more then half over and we have had so many experiences I can't count them all. I look at my children and they have grown so much and so fast. Time flies faster as you get older. So don't waste it.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 60
view profile
History
The passage of time..
Posted: 7/15/2012 1:32:09 PM
Can't say it passes any quicker, but I do seem to fill the available time with more things to do; and the queue seems to get longer every year.May be the only thing keeping me on the green side of the grass of late.

Anyway, went to a great wedding yesterday. Fun, spiritual, totally engaging even from the back row. Funny thing is that I've watched both these "kids" grow up over the past couple of decades. It was only yesterday I was keeping an eye out for them to ensure their safety. My own boy, almost a man in his own right. I was viewing some old photos and video and he was so small and endearing. Time flies? no; but something did happen to the intervening years.

TK
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >