Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 83
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
^^^^^^
Hey, you guys above who took the plunge and started playing - kudos to you!
I have fun fixing broken string instruments if it's not too extensive, I buy a lot of parts online, fix violins and guitars, and give them to local kids, some of them seem pretty talented.
Womac, the next time you're at NAMM, check out the "Guitar Geek festival" usually close by in another hotel, lots of vintage fun. Check it out on Youtube.
 Womac911
Msg: 84
view profile
History
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)
Posted: 7/18/2012 4:40:20 PM

Womac, the next time you're at NAMM, check out the "Guitar Geek festival" usually close by in another hotel, lots of vintage fun. Check it out on Youtube.

I was at the last Winter NAMM, but didn't know about Guitar Geek festival. However, there was another small guitar/amp show going on at the same time a couple miles down the road... I forget it's name, but it's wasn't the Geek Festival.
Personally, I'm tired of the typical "Guitar show" and "Vintage show" because they're overpriced peep-shows, more or less. I want to form an actual weekend-long guitar convention based around the Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention format... we take over an entire hotel, for an entire weekend. Discussion panels on various topics, music jams, dealer's room, the works. All weekend, non-stop. Not a "consumer" based "sell you crap" show, but a "players" show.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 3:20:08 PM
I do play drums, and love it. Occasionally keyboards, but mostly drums.
 MusicFred
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/24/2012 7:58:41 AM
I've played guitar on and off for 20 years, had bands in high school, did some gigs. I started piano/keyboards 2 years ago but I don't practice as much as I would like.

I have vids on youtube at http://www.youtube.co m/dayglo98
 hockeyfan82
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 3:14:17 AM
I wish more ambitious people who weren't in bands in my area played instruments.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:12:13 PM
^^^^^^
Ptown - It's OK to have your OWN style.
Most teachers make students play a certain way, and sometimes it works, often times the student gets frustrated and gives up. I had that as a kid, a horrible old lady violin teacher, and I HATED her. I'm sure she was a hit in Vienna, but I didn't advance at all. Years later I picked it up again, on my own , and started playing for fun because I had young kids, and it entertained them. Now I have a LOT of fun playing, and I play much more, and much better too.
If you love music, pick up a guitar and PLAY !!!
 SirensSister
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:51:46 AM
I play piano/keyboard some. I want to hook up with some people who live here to play sometime. I'd like to learn the drums..
 bamagrl68
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/29/2012 3:27:36 PM
legalbeagle84- I play the piano. I've been thinking about guitar lessons.
 hockeyfan82
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2012 10:13:25 PM
My god, POF, do you have like a 1 minute timeout/logout period? Seems like every time I try to post I have to sign in again, despite having "Remember Me" checked.

Anyway, I just bought a 4 track recorder yesterday. Hope to receive it in early September and get some demos rolling out.
 Fluke420
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/14/2012 1:41:11 AM
I play guitar but gave it up. I was mostly into metal but I was going in the direction of progressive rock and jazz.
But nobody really cared so i Sold everything.I'll probably start over again someday. It was time for a change
 Automatic Slim
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2012 8:00:03 PM
Started with trumpet and cornet in grade school. Mom tried to teach us all some piano, but that didn't take hold for me. Picked up a guitar when I was 11, about a half a billion years ago, then the bass guitar, then drums for awhile. Played all three in various bands at one time or other, although the drumming job I prefer to leave to others. I can hold a beat, but I never gave it enough attention to become proficient at the fills. After a few years on the road from town to town, bar to bar, music became a job and I began to lose interest in it. These days I mostly play guitar and bass. Still get together with a few preferred groups to jam and/or play the occasional gig. Keeps it fun and fresh instead of being work.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2012 2:57:23 PM
I played guitar, bass, drums and keys for 35 years......wrote 1000 songs, recorded the equivilent of 70 albums and made 35k in ten minutes at mp3.cm. Gave it all up to be more social, its easier to be the guy chillin in the audience with a babe, rather than lugging equipment, dressing funny and dealing with musicians with crappy attitudes......
 NCnavetG8r
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2012 2:05:05 PM
When I was 15, I looked at the other guys I'd been playing Football with at the Boy's Club and realized they were becoming men and I was still a boy. At 5'8" and only about 120lbs I knew I'd never make it at football. So I decided to try music since I'd always enjoyed listening to music. My folks got me a used trumpet and I took beginning band my freshman year of highschool. The 2nd semester I had a schedule conflict and the band director said it was ok because I was technically ready to skip intermediate and go straight to concert band anyway. By my senior year I was 2nd string in the symphonic band and decided I loved playing music but the trumpet just wasn't really where my heart was so I dropped out of symphonic band to take beginning guitar my last semester of my senior year. From there I played in some local bands for a few years while selling shoes to make ends meet until I realized I needed a change of lifestyle if I was going to live to see 25. So I joined the Navy and never played the guitar again other than just for myself. About 7 years ago when my ex and I were working on selling the house to get ready for the divorce, my candy-apple green 1984 Elite Stratocaster (only 1200 ever made) disappeared. Since then, I just haven't had the will to buy another one. I was so crushed by the loss of that guitar. It really was very special to me.

I recently met a lady here on POF who wants to learn to play the bass. I told her maybe we can go get her a used bass and I'd get a used guitar and could start teaching her the basics. So I may be playing again before long! We'll see.
 SoggyApple
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 6:30:39 PM
I dabble in proficient mastery with multiple instruments; but I prefer the strings. I hope to, eventually, take up the violin.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 114
Posted: 10/23/2012 6:19:42 AM
I played the flute and piccolo from 4th grade through high school. When I think back on school, only the music connections are vividly remembered and treasured. (God Bless Mr. Duncan, Miss Wells, and Mr. Markley) It's too bad music is being eliminated from many of the school districts. If I had the money, I'd love to take guitar lessons. Music is always going to be an important part of my life.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/6/2012 4:41:15 PM
Baritone sax is tough for availability. I live in a huge music market, and watch ads all the time, I got a decent tenor sax for $500, but I was looking for over a year, and this one is not close to pro level. Good enough for now, but baritones are very scarce.
Mostly I get violins and guitars, and tube amps. Plenty of good stuff comes around for reasonable money, if you are patient and lucky.
 lukecash12
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2012 1:25:36 PM
Yes, I play most of the Western symphonic instruments. Being a musicologist, music is more of a life style choice for me than a set of goals, a pass-time, or discipline for me. My primary interest in music is of a historical nature.
 aussieblues
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2012 1:56:12 PM
I could sing with a big strong Aretha Franklin type voice at 10 years old. Despite having a coup[le of fingers missing, Mum forced me to learn an instrument. The trumpet. I hated it, but became literate in music theory.
Knowing how to read and play simultaneously is great for left/right brain training.
Later I gave my kids opportunities to learn instruments and they both still enjoy playing once in a while. They're inclined toward music though. Some are inclined to other things...

Having said that I know how to perform a grease and oil change on my own car. Can you? Why or why not?
 matt_z28
Msg: 127
Posted: 11/18/2012 7:30:37 PM
The first time I ever heard "Since I've Been Loving You" I was blown away by the coordination between JPJ and Bonham, been playing bass ever since.
 soulatzero
Msg: 131
Posted: 12/13/2012 5:32:24 PM
hmm ever since i was a very young man, my favorite instrument has always been the Cello. Though my family was not in poverty per se, we never had much money. A Cello is an expensive instrument and my family could never afford to purchase one for me. (or so i was told). When I was about sixteen years old, i went to live with a friend and his mother and he taught me how to play electric bass guitar. I've been playing ever since and ironically, he is the one who has stopped playing. I remember a dispute around the time that i began to feel comfortable knowing my way around the frets of the instrument and he and I got into a bit of a dispute after i heard him playing something that sounded off. He was taught to read music , I never was. This time it was Tab he was reading and back then i barely could even decipher that ! LOL . I still insisted it was wrong , he asked me to show him how to play it correctly in a mocking way. So, I did. He got angry and left the room. We didnt speak for a week. I don't think he had much of a natural ear. I have another friend of mine who's cast in a similar light. He was a very promising pianist. At seventeen he could play Chopin. I can't say whether it was flawlessly or not as i've never been classically or formally trained, but it sounded good enough to attract considerable attention to him at the time from the music community. Thing i found odd though, he confessed to me that although he could read music and understand it well... and play it very very well, he had serious trouble writing his own. So i wonder how many musicians have this problem?
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 134
Posted: 12/26/2012 11:36:11 PM
I play flute: jazz, blues and classical music, since the fifth grade. Playing music is an outlet for emotional expression. It uplifts and soothes me. After playing I feel warmed down to my toes.
 RJHistoryGirl
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:54:21 AM
I play most symphonic/orchestral wind instruments with varying levels of proficiency, and most percussion. I can teach beginners in all of them, up to intermediate on mostly brasses. I used to play piano, then discovered I had rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. I still play drills and etudes when I can get my hands to cooperate, as my doctor says it helps keep me from having crippled hands. The ex (a singer when he could be bothered), several years ago, decided that every instrumental musician needs an instrument that they can't play... so he bought me a harp.
 gloomysunday
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:22:21 PM
I play a few instruments

Trumpet from 3rd grade up to 8th grade
Guitar for about 8 or 9 years
Bass for 5 years

I was lucky enough to find other people that play and we have a band going sadly not going anywhere is the way we're heading but its all for fun and not fame.
 Proteaus
Msg: 142
Posted: 2/18/2013 3:42:45 PM
Actually now that I am retired and have time , I want to learn how to play guitar . Enjoying music from bands like Black Label Society , Judas Priest etc . I am very much looking forward to spending the time learning to play . I played violin for a number of years , a little bass guitar too . Always wanted to learn 6 string ,and not just chords but the picking too .
 Chipsss
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2013 7:01:48 AM

I always wanted to learn to play guitar. But I could never do that thing where you tap your head while rub your stomach. I figured that disqualified me.

That's because the brain is efficient; when you do 2 or more things at the same time often enough, the brain wires them in the same pathway. If someone has been playing guitar for years only ever using downward strumming, they might be able to strum upward easily on its own but when in combination with chords by the fretting hand, it may seem illogically impossible / difficult.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >