Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Vyzov
Msg: 117
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have an acoustic bass guitar that I'm slowly learning how to play, although I haven't found alot of time for it as of late. I do know how to play a Bari and Tenor Saxophone, but I don't own either. I would love to have a Baritone Saxophone again but those start at around 10K$ and I don't have that kind of money sitting around.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 118
view profile
History
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)
Posted: 10/28/2012 1:18:08 PM
No need to buy any 10k instrument new. Put up a local want ad on your local buy/sell site. High end instruments go for a fraction of their cost in most markets.
 Vyzov
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/5/2012 9:07:32 AM
True words...

I've been looking locally and find that used ones ares till going for upwards of 3K and that's still plenty more money than I have to freely spend on an instrument as a hobby.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/6/2012 4:41:15 PM
Baritone sax is tough for availability. I live in a huge music market, and watch ads all the time, I got a decent tenor sax for $500, but I was looking for over a year, and this one is not close to pro level. Good enough for now, but baritones are very scarce.
Mostly I get violins and guitars, and tube amps. Plenty of good stuff comes around for reasonable money, if you are patient and lucky.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2012 8:33:13 PM
Want ads work well but you can get an even better deal with the right 'trade' ad. Nothing trades better than a Fender American Stratocaster or Telecaster (pick one up used for $700 or so). Offer to trade the guitar for a sax, trumpet, flute, violin, etc, ..or whatever. Some older teen or young guy could have late grandpa's instument sitting in a closet and he'll be eager to trade it for the Fender. Even if it's not the instrument you are after it can be a really good deal and you can then trade it at a music store for what your after .

The key is knowing your 'stuff'.

The instrument that has taken a beating in price is the piano. Nice quality instrments that sold for $5,000 30 years ago can be picked up for not much more than moving costs. I could fill a barn with used pianos every month but there's never going to be a market for them...they are going electronic and even those ones get dated within a few years. It's a bit sad when a100 year old piano, once the center of a household, is now worthless and given away for free.
 lukecash12
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2012 1:25:36 PM
Yes, I play most of the Western symphonic instruments. Being a musicologist, music is more of a life style choice for me than a set of goals, a pass-time, or discipline for me. My primary interest in music is of a historical nature.
 aussieblues
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2012 1:56:12 PM
I could sing with a big strong Aretha Franklin type voice at 10 years old. Despite having a coup[le of fingers missing, Mum forced me to learn an instrument. The trumpet. I hated it, but became literate in music theory.
Knowing how to read and play simultaneously is great for left/right brain training.
Later I gave my kids opportunities to learn instruments and they both still enjoy playing once in a while. They're inclined toward music though. Some are inclined to other things...

Having said that I know how to perform a grease and oil change on my own car. Can you? Why or why not?
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2012 4:09:14 PM
I'll teach guitar lessons now and then. I usually urge beginners to pick up a used electronic keyboard (they go for under a $100). It's easier to learn basic music theory on a keyboard and then apply it to a guitar. a lot of beginners flounder around on a stringed instrument as they are constantly searchig for chord formations, notes, scales, etc. A keyboard makes more visual sense whereas notes on a guitar, other than open chord positions, can take a few years before they become instinctive.
 Nik1Johnson
Msg: 125
Posted: 11/16/2012 8:01:59 AM
I'm in a band where I switch between the drums and keyboard, but I'm no good. I'm pretty sure the guys just keep me around cause I have a garage and lots of free time.
 skelligrock
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:47:54 AM
I think because I have stories as my primary joy, music is for entertainment and comes next. My application requires me to express images and colour - in the way I know how.....music requires a mathematical application which is another thing..
 matt_z28
Msg: 127
Posted: 11/18/2012 7:30:37 PM
The first time I ever heard "Since I've Been Loving You" I was blown away by the coordination between JPJ and Bonham, been playing bass ever since.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 128
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:10:26 PM
i play guitar-- mostly chords and some easy guitar riffs, i am not a pro though, play mainly for fun. oh yeah, and i like to sing too-- mainly rock and show tunes (sinatra, bobby darin, etc.)
 Kurosakii
Msg: 129
Posted: 12/1/2012 11:07:27 PM
I'm working on my violin and guitar. The neck of the guitar gives me hell, I don't have large hands. heh. But there is no way I'm giving up.

I'm learning the guitar because it's a standard great instrument. As for the violin, it's by far my favorite sounding instrument. It'll take years and years and years to master but I'm willing. :D
 bearbemom
Msg: 130
Posted: 12/2/2012 5:39:34 AM
I am a Violist and teach string instruments and piano. The bottom line is anyone can learn any instrument if you want...if it makes you happy and you enjoy it..go for it. Just my 2 cents...!
 soulatzero
Msg: 131
Posted: 12/13/2012 5:32:24 PM
hmm ever since i was a very young man, my favorite instrument has always been the Cello. Though my family was not in poverty per se, we never had much money. A Cello is an expensive instrument and my family could never afford to purchase one for me. (or so i was told). When I was about sixteen years old, i went to live with a friend and his mother and he taught me how to play electric bass guitar. I've been playing ever since and ironically, he is the one who has stopped playing. I remember a dispute around the time that i began to feel comfortable knowing my way around the frets of the instrument and he and I got into a bit of a dispute after i heard him playing something that sounded off. He was taught to read music , I never was. This time it was Tab he was reading and back then i barely could even decipher that ! LOL . I still insisted it was wrong , he asked me to show him how to play it correctly in a mocking way. So, I did. He got angry and left the room. We didnt speak for a week. I don't think he had much of a natural ear. I have another friend of mine who's cast in a similar light. He was a very promising pianist. At seventeen he could play Chopin. I can't say whether it was flawlessly or not as i've never been classically or formally trained, but it sounded good enough to attract considerable attention to him at the time from the music community. Thing i found odd though, he confessed to me that although he could read music and understand it well... and play it very very well, he had serious trouble writing his own. So i wonder how many musicians have this problem?
 TomToriginal
Msg: 132
Posted: 12/20/2012 6:50:05 PM
I enjoy messing around with guitars and am learning more daily.
I find it relaxing and honestly, I just love the sound.
I have played drums for a number of years however I find myself drumless at the moment.
Whether I will re-enter that world, I am not sure.
I like to make all my own tracks while playing each instrument required.
I am a total amateur who hasn't played in a crowd in 30 or 40 years.
I just like getting the music running around in my head out whether that is by writing it into a musical score or letting it out through an instrument.
I have no desire to play other peoples music. There are enough people doing that. My music is all me.
I Love the way the birds come closer when I play acoustic guitar on my beat up yard swing. It is all just for fun and relaxation for me.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 134
Posted: 12/26/2012 11:36:11 PM
I play flute: jazz, blues and classical music, since the fifth grade. Playing music is an outlet for emotional expression. It uplifts and soothes me. After playing I feel warmed down to my toes.
 RJHistoryGirl
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:54:21 AM
I play most symphonic/orchestral wind instruments with varying levels of proficiency, and most percussion. I can teach beginners in all of them, up to intermediate on mostly brasses. I used to play piano, then discovered I had rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. I still play drills and etudes when I can get my hands to cooperate, as my doctor says it helps keep me from having crippled hands. The ex (a singer when he could be bothered), several years ago, decided that every instrumental musician needs an instrument that they can't play... so he bought me a harp.
 TomToriginal
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/4/2013 7:14:27 AM
Read the book "guitar Zero" Adults can learn anything that a youngster can if it is approached with the right frame of mind.
There is no such thing as Can't in my vocabulary.
Practice is only one part of the equation.
Theory is a bonus to learn as well as a variety of instruments.
A lot can be learned from the old masters like bach.
Often looking at a different instrument can open doors for other instruments.
Music IS complicated but there is a point you "get it" and don't forget it.
Regarding age. I gave up drums for 30 years and returned to it when I was 50 (I hadn't forgotten much).
Learning music is slow progress but even slow progress is progress.
I retired almost 2 years ago and I play 2 to 3 times a day for over an hour on different instruments in different places. In reality, retirement (due to age and good choices) has opened up the time necessary to really improve.
True not everyone can even "hear" the music.
If you can dance (or even think you'd like to) then the music is in you.
If you are good at math, it helps a lot and studying music has been proven to actually alter the brain phisically. There is an additional loop of brain matter in practising musicians which also equates to a better understanding of math and sciences.
Inheritance has got to be a plus I suppose but even though apparently I am related to Bach, my learning curve is very slow (lessons help everyone).
I think it helps if you grew up listening to quality music even while in the womb.
Regardless, I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules especially when played right even one note can be a beautiful thing.
Age has nothing to do with anything. Newness does.
If you start and quit and start and quit learning anything, when you return to it, it is more and more boring going over the same thing.
When it is new (as in a younger person OR an older person doing it for the first time), one is all wide and bushy tailed (another plus for multiple instruments).
cd's won't get you to the same place at all as where you can go when it is yourself making the sounds.
There is a zone, a crossroads, a profound revelation, a special place that when reached is darn near that gives back such a wonderful feeling better than any drug. If people could taste that feeling if only for a moment, they would strive to reach that zone again and again. I know I do.
Everyone want s a quick fix so they can play immediately and become a star especially each successive generation who want everything right now and their favourite word is "Can't".
They spend more time searching the net for something quick when really picking up their chosen instrument and playing it could yield far faster results.
DVD videos are far more appealing to me than cd's simply because I want to know who and how they did it.
Trumpet, drums, guitar (learning), keyboards (learning), writing music and playing it is an ever increasing passion if one takes the time to let it grab them. It sure got as hold of me around 50 yrs old although I confess, I played a lot during my school years and then gave it up.
3 simple guitar chords (easily learned in an hour) can keep a whole pile of people singing along and begging for more (confirmed).
Can't pfffft. I humbly disagree.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 137
Posted: 1/13/2013 6:19:33 PM
I have played classical guitar, piano, and violin.
Truthfully my talent does not fall within music.
I was never able to tune my guitar.
I love these intruments and many more.
oK...IF i had put much much more years into any of them I would have said YES to this post.
so to others: if you want it,...never give it up.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:00:13 PM
Guitar is not instinctive. Finger shapes are not natural and standard tuning doesn't lend itself to much random playing. Other than a few open position chord strums, it takes LOTS of practice to be able to maintain any semblance of rhythm. It takes 'stickum'. When I look back I remember saying exactly what some of my students say today...'my fingers can't do that'...'this is impossible'..etc.

The key (excuse the pun) with guitar is to not get discouraged. It takes about 5 years to get to the point where you can flow around the fretboard without thinking about chord shapes, finger positions, etc. Also, at that stage you've learned a lot of 'bits and pieces' of riffs, melodies etc. You find yourself improvising as much as anything else. At one time it would take me dozens of hours to learn a classical piece by Bach, etc...and then I'd forget it if I didn't play it everyday. These days I can get it down in an hour's session just by digging into the bag of tricks.
 gloomysunday
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:22:21 PM
I play a few instruments

Trumpet from 3rd grade up to 8th grade
Guitar for about 8 or 9 years
Bass for 5 years

I was lucky enough to find other people that play and we have a band going sadly not going anywhere is the way we're heading but its all for fun and not fame.
 Tharmus
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/18/2013 1:58:59 PM
I do. I love making my own music. I feel like I'm in my own little world when I'm playing guitar. It's like paradise to me.
 Proteaus
Msg: 142
Posted: 2/18/2013 3:42:45 PM
Actually now that I am retired and have time , I want to learn how to play guitar . Enjoying music from bands like Black Label Society , Judas Priest etc . I am very much looking forward to spending the time learning to play . I played violin for a number of years , a little bass guitar too . Always wanted to learn 6 string ,and not just chords but the picking too .
 Daydream9370
Msg: 143
Posted: 2/20/2013 9:51:25 PM
I have been playing percussion for 35 yrs. now. I studied at Berkeley School Of Music in Boston and even though my musical carrier did not pan out the way my teenage youth had imagined lol, I have been very fortunate to play with many outstanding musicians, bands and still record original , cover material and play out live to this day.
My musical tastes is vast. Everything from jazz to metal but I prefer the blending of the two into a progressive rock/metal.
If anyone is interested in collaborating via email / mp3 I would love to record the drum tracks if anyone is in need. I have plenty of material for anyone to sample if interested all professional equipment ( DW drums , Sabian cymbals respectably)
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >