Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tharmus
Msg: 101
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I've been playing guitar for 6 years, but I've always wanted to learn the drums and keyboard/piano.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 102
view profile
History
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)
Posted: 9/24/2012 5:05:13 PM
As I'ved posted above I've played for 42 years. The issue with guitar is that it isn't a 'natural' instrument to play. I've known a few well known rock guitarists and what people don't realize is that the 'image' is largely a front and many practice 8 hours or more a day.

One can 'fake' piano, fake French Horn, etc. but not so easy on guitar. It takes practice, practice and more practice..not so much like piano in repeating lessons but just noodling around...playing.

Anyways, don't give up. It gets easier. It takes a couple of years to stop figuring out how to make chords, find notes, etc. Difficult to play solo anything with proper rhythm in those first couple of years (way easier to play in a band setting if you've memorized a few riffs). The brain is thinking too much about the mechanics. Then presto...it starts to become magical. Once the basics are down then the creativity can take over...you can start improvising riffs, chord voicings, legato techniques, etc. You have 'arrived'.
 Automatic Slim
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2012 8:00:03 PM
Started with trumpet and cornet in grade school. Mom tried to teach us all some piano, but that didn't take hold for me. Picked up a guitar when I was 11, about a half a billion years ago, then the bass guitar, then drums for awhile. Played all three in various bands at one time or other, although the drumming job I prefer to leave to others. I can hold a beat, but I never gave it enough attention to become proficient at the fills. After a few years on the road from town to town, bar to bar, music became a job and I began to lose interest in it. These days I mostly play guitar and bass. Still get together with a few preferred groups to jam and/or play the occasional gig. Keeps it fun and fresh instead of being work.
 Deeity
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2012 12:21:58 AM
Do, Guitar, percussion, digeridoo, and other stuff as catches my interest but, why I'd NOT be playing is because I'm too busy singing, been a Singer most of my life, great range, anyone looking to start a band? lol!????
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2012 2:57:23 PM
I played guitar, bass, drums and keys for 35 years......wrote 1000 songs, recorded the equivilent of 70 albums and made 35k in ten minutes at mp3.cm. Gave it all up to be more social, its easier to be the guy chillin in the audience with a babe, rather than lugging equipment, dressing funny and dealing with musicians with crappy attitudes......
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/3/2012 6:05:01 PM
I have always had some spark of interest in music, even as a little kid. When I was in elementary school I learned how to play the recorder as well as the penny whistle (self taught that one), and I sang in a choir for a couple of years as well. I think when your teachers attempt to nurture the things you show great interest in, it really invokes a passion for something later on in life. I was never a bright kid, and honestly to this day I suck at music theory, but I can read and I can play pretty well. I started devoting my time to music when I entered high school, I started learning the clarinet and alto saxophone in my first year, and doubled both from then on. I picked up the tenor sax in grade 11 for a while, the baritone sax in grade 12 for a concert band, as well as the oboe for a minor instrument in my grade 12 music class (because I don't have the physical lung capacity to play brass instruments). I started learning guitar in grade 11 as well and continue to play to this day. I started playing soprano sax, alto sax and clarinet in a jazz band when I was 17, since I own all 3 instruments, but have since quit doing so. I mainly play guitar and bass these days.
 haveakitten30000
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 7:10:48 AM
actually I don't recomend adults picking up instruments
use the money to buy more cds
if you don't learn it as a kid you really can't...unless you have a gift
that was greatly hidden for decades
point is music is inherited you can't "become" a good musician...
I rented out instruments to adults all the time==trumpets -cellos guitars etc...at a music store
they alwasy came back unused
music is very complicated time consuming and demanding-=-the minute you stop practicing
it all goes down the tubes....practice is how you get good and you have to have a gift to stand
the amount of time it takes

just buy cds.............
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 7:30:26 AM
Adults can't learn?

Not my experience. I've taught two adult girlfriends top play guitar. One was better after 6 month s than I was in my first 3 years. She plays both guitar and mandolin today in jam sessions. In my own jam groups, probably half the players started playing in their 30's or later (a couple in their 50's)
 haveakitten30000
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 8:53:25 AM
well I worked in a music store that rented instruments
and there are exceptions==one of my students is 80 and does ok...can learn a new song in two weeks
but it is not the norm

being good is hard work most have no capacity for it

the worst was people coming out of a Kenny G concert wanting an alto or tenor sax
they freak at how much lung power it takes to blow...

DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/6/2012 9:49:08 PM
I've played Guitar for 10 years then College took me away from it for awhile, then I haven't gotten back to it because I need to set it up and get it re-strung, but also Martial Arts took me away from it too. Music isn't a priority right now, I suppose. Though I do miss playing the random Candlemass, Slayer or Morbid Angel riff.
 NCnavetG8r
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2012 2:05:05 PM
When I was 15, I looked at the other guys I'd been playing Football with at the Boy's Club and realized they were becoming men and I was still a boy. At 5'8" and only about 120lbs I knew I'd never make it at football. So I decided to try music since I'd always enjoyed listening to music. My folks got me a used trumpet and I took beginning band my freshman year of highschool. The 2nd semester I had a schedule conflict and the band director said it was ok because I was technically ready to skip intermediate and go straight to concert band anyway. By my senior year I was 2nd string in the symphonic band and decided I loved playing music but the trumpet just wasn't really where my heart was so I dropped out of symphonic band to take beginning guitar my last semester of my senior year. From there I played in some local bands for a few years while selling shoes to make ends meet until I realized I needed a change of lifestyle if I was going to live to see 25. So I joined the Navy and never played the guitar again other than just for myself. About 7 years ago when my ex and I were working on selling the house to get ready for the divorce, my candy-apple green 1984 Elite Stratocaster (only 1200 ever made) disappeared. Since then, I just haven't had the will to buy another one. I was so crushed by the loss of that guitar. It really was very special to me.

I recently met a lady here on POF who wants to learn to play the bass. I told her maybe we can go get her a used bass and I'd get a used guitar and could start teaching her the basics. So I may be playing again before long! We'll see.
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 112
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:54:54 PM

well I worked in a music store that rented instruments
and there are exceptions==one of my students is 80 and does ok...can learn a new song in two weeks
but it is not the norm

being good is hard work most have no capacity for it

the worst was people coming out of a Kenny G concert wanting an alto or tenor sax
they freak at how much lung power it takes to blow...

Interesting that you say that considering music, especially piano, is a cognitive skill to learn and while yes, it does get harder to learn as you get older, continually playing helps keep your memory and reflexes working properly. My grandmother used to play the piano for the longest time but honestly I don't think she has played in about 8 years now and it's kind of sad because I believe that were she still playing, she wouldn't be going through Alzheimer's at the age of 80, something she started to really develop a few years ago and it's constantly getting worse.

Any kind of training and exercise that works the mind as well as the hands is good for your long term health. I have been a proprietor for quite some time that all children should pick up an instrument at a young age and start learning as it will actually help them later in life with certain skills. I wish I had really started devoting my time and learning at a younger age, despite having interest in playing when I was a child our teachers never devoted enough time to music in school to really expand the interest. If I had that opportunity when I was younger, I probably would have started playing a real instrument like the clarinet when I was 7 or 8 and my parents would have put me into classical music training (would have been cheaper then karate since we already had the instrument which is in my possession now).
 SoggyApple
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 6:30:39 PM
I dabble in proficient mastery with multiple instruments; but I prefer the strings. I hope to, eventually, take up the violin.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2012 6:19:42 AM
I played the flute and piccolo from 4th grade through high school. When I think back on school, only the music connections are vividly remembered and treasured. (God Bless Mr. Duncan, Miss Wells, and Mr. Markley) It's too bad music is being eliminated from many of the school districts. If I had the money, I'd love to take guitar lessons. Music is always going to be an important part of my life.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2012 12:19:49 PM
True, there are thousands of guitar lessons on Youtube...many excellent. From beginners to advanced.

When I want to learn a song I just goto You tube and type in the name of the song and 'guitar lesson'...often there are a half dozen versions. I'll often borrow 'stuff' from a couple of them.

The variety of lessons is a real bonus because not only do you learn 'how' to play a song (not my issue after playing for 40 years) but also an 'approach' to playing a song. Often there's some little rift, alternate chord, etc. thast adds some flavour.

Re guitars...decent acoustic and electrics are available in used ads for $100 or so. ..almost new Fender Squire guitar/amp packages for $150.
 ArtisticMusician
Msg: 116
Posted: 10/23/2012 5:51:31 PM
I've been playing bass for 3 years, and started playing electric guitar in January. It's a great way to let out frustration. Jamming has helped me deal with stress, very well. My 3 years of playing bass was a big help for my lead playing. Of course, I've only been playing for close to a year, but I think I'm catching on pretty quick. I currently own 2 guitar, and 3 basses. An Ibanez RG 7 string, a LTD F-50 6 string, a BC Rich ICS Vortex signature Warlock 4 string, a very cheap LTD B-10 4 string, and a 5 string Ibanez. I love playing my 7 string guitar, but I prefer 4 string basses, instead of 5 strings.
 Vyzov
Msg: 117
Posted: 10/28/2012 1:11:00 PM
I have an acoustic bass guitar that I'm slowly learning how to play, although I haven't found alot of time for it as of late. I do know how to play a Bari and Tenor Saxophone, but I don't own either. I would love to have a Baritone Saxophone again but those start at around 10K$ and I don't have that kind of money sitting around.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 1:18:08 PM
No need to buy any 10k instrument new. Put up a local want ad on your local buy/sell site. High end instruments go for a fraction of their cost in most markets.
 Vyzov
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/5/2012 9:07:32 AM
True words...

I've been looking locally and find that used ones ares till going for upwards of 3K and that's still plenty more money than I have to freely spend on an instrument as a hobby.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/6/2012 4:41:15 PM
Baritone sax is tough for availability. I live in a huge music market, and watch ads all the time, I got a decent tenor sax for $500, but I was looking for over a year, and this one is not close to pro level. Good enough for now, but baritones are very scarce.
Mostly I get violins and guitars, and tube amps. Plenty of good stuff comes around for reasonable money, if you are patient and lucky.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2012 8:33:13 PM
Want ads work well but you can get an even better deal with the right 'trade' ad. Nothing trades better than a Fender American Stratocaster or Telecaster (pick one up used for $700 or so). Offer to trade the guitar for a sax, trumpet, flute, violin, etc, ..or whatever. Some older teen or young guy could have late grandpa's instument sitting in a closet and he'll be eager to trade it for the Fender. Even if it's not the instrument you are after it can be a really good deal and you can then trade it at a music store for what your after .

The key is knowing your 'stuff'.

The instrument that has taken a beating in price is the piano. Nice quality instrments that sold for $5,000 30 years ago can be picked up for not much more than moving costs. I could fill a barn with used pianos every month but there's never going to be a market for them...they are going electronic and even those ones get dated within a few years. It's a bit sad when a100 year old piano, once the center of a household, is now worthless and given away for free.
 lukecash12
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2012 1:25:36 PM
Yes, I play most of the Western symphonic instruments. Being a musicologist, music is more of a life style choice for me than a set of goals, a pass-time, or discipline for me. My primary interest in music is of a historical nature.
 aussieblues
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2012 1:56:12 PM
I could sing with a big strong Aretha Franklin type voice at 10 years old. Despite having a coup[le of fingers missing, Mum forced me to learn an instrument. The trumpet. I hated it, but became literate in music theory.
Knowing how to read and play simultaneously is great for left/right brain training.
Later I gave my kids opportunities to learn instruments and they both still enjoy playing once in a while. They're inclined toward music though. Some are inclined to other things...

Having said that I know how to perform a grease and oil change on my own car. Can you? Why or why not?
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2012 4:09:14 PM
I'll teach guitar lessons now and then. I usually urge beginners to pick up a used electronic keyboard (they go for under a $100). It's easier to learn basic music theory on a keyboard and then apply it to a guitar. a lot of beginners flounder around on a stringed instrument as they are constantly searchig for chord formations, notes, scales, etc. A keyboard makes more visual sense whereas notes on a guitar, other than open chord positions, can take a few years before they become instinctive.
 Nik1Johnson
Msg: 125
Posted: 11/16/2012 8:01:59 AM
I'm in a band where I switch between the drums and keyboard, but I'm no good. I'm pretty sure the guys just keep me around cause I have a garage and lots of free time.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)