Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 147
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?Page 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
(repetition,, )
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 148
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?
Posted: 7/15/2005 2:53:19 PM
Squirrly, I can't believe I'm posting another repetitious post,,gawddddd. But as to your observation, have you talked to my wife. She says I'm the monster from Hell when I sleep because of not only snoring, but yelling, and screaming. It's enough to wake the dead. She thinks it's sleep apnea. Maybe that will be the end of me. One can always hope.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 149
Posted: 7/15/2005 3:07:30 PM
squirrly <-----funny lady!! hahaha I think it did!
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/15/2005 3:11:17 PM
(No more smart ass remarks from the balcony, please! It sounds like repetition to me.)
 bucsgirl
Msg: 151
Posted: 7/15/2005 3:14:52 PM
(yelling) Yeah, you up in the balcony, pipe down will ya?
 fellfromheaven
Msg: 152
Posted: 7/16/2005 2:07:51 PM
Only a mile?My daughters in Kindergarten and she can run three...Shape up people ..Jeez
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 153
Posted: 7/16/2005 5:12:31 PM
Is this woman talking to me?? Ya talkin to me? That's dangerous. Better run.
 fujianguy
Msg: 154
Posted: 7/16/2005 9:38:11 PM
My girlfriend of three years had everything, personality, looks, figure, and the most important thing, a high level intelligence. Unlike some brainy women who have no personality, she had it all. I think you are wrong about men. Some men love women who are intelligent, at least you can always have a good conversation. Who wants to carry on a talk with an airhead?
 gramps
Msg: 155
Posted: 7/16/2005 11:38:03 PM
The only woman I ever would have married was graduated summa cum laude in chemistry and became an MD.
 mytho
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2005 3:54:04 AM
cause it's culturally accepted to run a mile away from anyone with a brain.
 carribeanking7
Msg: 157
Posted: 7/17/2005 5:48:06 AM
@ queencrimson
will email you my latest skull xrays.....as evidence...

OT...good question.....I hate to answer a question with a question but why do some of them run away when they finally met their match ?
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 158
Bored and lonely like always
Posted: 7/17/2005 6:27:43 AM
I dunno, they say ignorance is bliss. Sometimes I think they're right.
 Celtic_toes
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2005 7:42:25 AM
Any ladies fancy a game of strip chess?
 Meekrob
Msg: 160
Posted: 7/19/2005 8:51:15 PM
Intellect is great but let's not put ourselves too high on the totem pole. When I got my Master's all that did was humble me because there was so much more to learn. If you are a true intellectual you will not look down on others but will be more humble because you realize there are scholars who have worked a lot harder than you and have learned twenty times more than you. With that said----I really find an intelligent woman more sexy and more interesting.
 Summer Dream
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 10:09:12 AM

Any ladies fancy a game of strip chess?

What are you going to take off when I win?
 irishman1959
Msg: 162
Posted: 7/31/2005 10:24:25 AM
Every situation is different - but if YOU are seeing a consistent pattern there is something there- it may be that YOU are very beautiful and sometimes i need to say that to get that out of the way- it may be they are intimidated by YOUR brain wattage and they are trying to diffuse it!!- Some situations are more competitive than others sometimes I am bringing a specific energy to a situation that is being responded to - Getting the physical out of the way and enjoying the rest of a person is sometimes a process --

Personally I have been extremely fortunate in my life with a couple of very very right relationships Great Women -- I am eternally grateful for this -- the did not last forever but they did last a lot longr because we did share a lot on the mental level --

i belive great realtionships operate on the spiritual,mental,emotional and physical levels--
sometimes 25% each level - sometimes 75% one level then it balances back- it can all be good -- but for it to be great for me i need all four aspects

irishman1959
 springload
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 10:26:19 AM
sorry, just on the subject....I hve never known a man to ever runaway from a lady with a great head on her shoulder....I mean after somewhat superficial looks, we all(mostly) look for somehing deeper....a good heart/caring attitude/humour/wit/brain....I think one of the problemsis in out society is that successful women want a "man" as in beer drinking prick that is going to treat them poorly and then complain when their hunk does not apreciate her brains with his limited capacity....though the above statement has been true in many cultures, but not here in Canada....Cheers, Brian
 TJGren
Msg: 164
Posted: 4/15/2009 1:28:07 PM
I am more turned on by brains than just about anything. I would prefer my kids to be smart than beautiful. Smart people change the world. Beautiful people walk down a catwalk and don't eat. Need I say more?
 ProdigalSon81
Msg: 165
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:19:45 PM
It would depend on what is the "good conversation".

If it's about politics and things of that ilk, that's a real bore and buzzkiller, especially in the preliminary stages of knowing someone. Of course that's just my take on the matter, someone else would probably be on Cloud 9 talking about the recession, etc.
 Arlo Troutman
Msg: 166
Posted: 4/15/2009 4:02:34 PM
Your post #249, BDJ, reminds me of my Black Labrador, Hector (sadly dead for over 8 years -- best dAmn dawg I ever had):

Occasionally, my (then) wife would get right-royally piSsed at him and yell at him. He'd get all miffed, and would make it a point of not looking at her. In fact, he'd stare at my wife; then, when she looked his way, he'd make a big production of turning his face away. I watched it once, and nearly tore out my stitches laughing. I could almost hear him saying, "See how much I'm not looking at you???"

Arlo
 desert rat 2009
Msg: 167
Posted: 4/25/2009 8:21:11 PM
I've talked with people of all intellectual levels, and believe that the ability to be a great conversationist doesn't require a high IQ. If I were stuck on an island, give me the average person with curiosity and street smarts. It takes two to converse, each is dependant on the other, as no one can talk all by themselves (unless it's a speech). I joined Mensa in 1986, and don't consider myself to have any special conversation gifts.
 Steel Phoenix
Msg: 168
Posted: 4/25/2009 8:44:21 PM
Why do men do this, why do men do that, why can't men be more this, why can't men be less that blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda.............

Somehow I get the feeling you'd find fault no matter what a man did, or didn't do.

You can always try a woman.........
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 5:27:28 AM
^^^^ Yea, I think the word everyone's looking for is "insufferable".

What makes the OP look not-so-smart after all is this: out at the extremes of the bell curve men outnumber women by a substantial amount; it's probably at least 2 or 3 men for every woman where the OP claims to be on the distribution curve. The ratio of men to women is even higher at more extreme levels, and you can bet all those smart and super-smart guys are wondering where all the women are who are their equals, and why the smart/semi-smart gals like the OP are wasting all their time with dunderheads of the sort she's complaining about.

Any gal who wants a smart guy can have her pick of several. So if the OP wasn't able to locate even one then it just calls into question her competence, or that she has some other issue going on.
 2Live4TX
Msg: 170
Posted: 4/26/2009 5:47:46 AM
OP -- your post gives me cause to reflect -- I'm interested in a particular woman -- she's a beautiful, charming, sweet, a devoted mother of (2) amazing daughters, but who can (by her own acknowledgement) be a bit manic at times.

She talks non-stop (there are times when I'd like to offer her some Ritalin ), but she's just adorable, and means no harm.

Here's my point -- she was in one of her numerous drawn-out sessions, and I was just fixated on her beautiful eyes, and the sound of her voice (I have to tell you, if it wasn't for the fact that her voice makes me melt, I'd probably have thown-in the towel long ago -- suffice-it-to-say, the sound of her voice is my Kryptonite!!!)

Fast-Forward to your incident -- maybe this guy was feeling a bit as I was feeling -- when it comes to talking, there are times when Less is MORE -- I think he did the right thing -- it made you think (at least enough to start this thread). By your own admission, this has happened to you on more than 1 occassion -- Hmmmm, is the whole male gender wrong, or could it be something you're doing? What you decide to do with this realization will depend on your maturity level, and your desire to be in a healthy relationship.
 english lass
Msg: 171
Posted: 4/26/2009 6:26:21 AM
perhaps they found the topics of conversation 'you' were choosing to be boring... this doesn't mean that they aren't intellectually bright, just that they have different interests

and yes, talking and listening is supposed to be a "shared, joyful activity" - but the key word is "shared" - not one person talking on and on about something only they have knowledge about or interest in, thus leaving no room, or desire, for the other person to contribute...

intelligent conversation can still be conversation that both parties enjoy

if there are no shared topics of conversation that you are both comfortable with, then i'd take it as a sign that you may well not be compatible - but perhaps more in the realm of common interests, rather than common intelligence
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?