Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Arlo Troutman
Msg: 166
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?Page 11 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Your post #249, BDJ, reminds me of my Black Labrador, Hector (sadly dead for over 8 years -- best dAmn dawg I ever had):

Occasionally, my (then) wife would get right-royally piSsed at him and yell at him. He'd get all miffed, and would make it a point of not looking at her. In fact, he'd stare at my wife; then, when she looked his way, he'd make a big production of turning his face away. I watched it once, and nearly tore out my stitches laughing. I could almost hear him saying, "See how much I'm not looking at you???"

Arlo
 desert rat 2009
Msg: 167
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?
Posted: 4/25/2009 8:21:11 PM
I've talked with people of all intellectual levels, and believe that the ability to be a great conversationist doesn't require a high IQ. If I were stuck on an island, give me the average person with curiosity and street smarts. It takes two to converse, each is dependant on the other, as no one can talk all by themselves (unless it's a speech). I joined Mensa in 1986, and don't consider myself to have any special conversation gifts.
 Steel Phoenix
Msg: 168
Posted: 4/25/2009 8:44:21 PM
Why do men do this, why do men do that, why can't men be more this, why can't men be less that blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda.............

Somehow I get the feeling you'd find fault no matter what a man did, or didn't do.

You can always try a woman.........
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 5:27:28 AM
^^^^ Yea, I think the word everyone's looking for is "insufferable".

What makes the OP look not-so-smart after all is this: out at the extremes of the bell curve men outnumber women by a substantial amount; it's probably at least 2 or 3 men for every woman where the OP claims to be on the distribution curve. The ratio of men to women is even higher at more extreme levels, and you can bet all those smart and super-smart guys are wondering where all the women are who are their equals, and why the smart/semi-smart gals like the OP are wasting all their time with dunderheads of the sort she's complaining about.

Any gal who wants a smart guy can have her pick of several. So if the OP wasn't able to locate even one then it just calls into question her competence, or that she has some other issue going on.
 2Live4TX
Msg: 170
Posted: 4/26/2009 5:47:46 AM
OP -- your post gives me cause to reflect -- I'm interested in a particular woman -- she's a beautiful, charming, sweet, a devoted mother of (2) amazing daughters, but who can (by her own acknowledgement) be a bit manic at times.

She talks non-stop (there are times when I'd like to offer her some Ritalin ), but she's just adorable, and means no harm.

Here's my point -- she was in one of her numerous drawn-out sessions, and I was just fixated on her beautiful eyes, and the sound of her voice (I have to tell you, if it wasn't for the fact that her voice makes me melt, I'd probably have thown-in the towel long ago -- suffice-it-to-say, the sound of her voice is my Kryptonite!!!)

Fast-Forward to your incident -- maybe this guy was feeling a bit as I was feeling -- when it comes to talking, there are times when Less is MORE -- I think he did the right thing -- it made you think (at least enough to start this thread). By your own admission, this has happened to you on more than 1 occassion -- Hmmmm, is the whole male gender wrong, or could it be something you're doing? What you decide to do with this realization will depend on your maturity level, and your desire to be in a healthy relationship.
 english lass
Msg: 171
Posted: 4/26/2009 6:26:21 AM
perhaps they found the topics of conversation 'you' were choosing to be boring... this doesn't mean that they aren't intellectually bright, just that they have different interests

and yes, talking and listening is supposed to be a "shared, joyful activity" - but the key word is "shared" - not one person talking on and on about something only they have knowledge about or interest in, thus leaving no room, or desire, for the other person to contribute...

intelligent conversation can still be conversation that both parties enjoy

if there are no shared topics of conversation that you are both comfortable with, then i'd take it as a sign that you may well not be compatible - but perhaps more in the realm of common interests, rather than common intelligence
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?