Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bunnyfunny
Msg: 76
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I'm curious why you and others think I don't listen. I'm a very good listener. I listen lots. I just don't want to get personal within hours or days of meeting. That's all.

I guess you're right about relationships being more about emotions. I guess I thought they were about commitment and raising children together and surviving together. In many cultures, it has stuff all to do with emotions. The marriage is arranged, and often the people become happy as they get to know each other. They know from the start that they have to respect each other. I've met people in marriages like that.

It's only in the last 100 years that there's been the big thing about relationships having to do with emotions.

Anyway, I do have to thank you. I've been wrong about the sex. It's been about the emotions. I understand that now. Bye.
 Goddard
Msg: 77
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:07:27 PM
In 6 months, no lay, you're away? Oh, sorry that's right your on the 3date plan. Whoohee. Talk about a rush.....

I didn't mention "sex", bucsgirl. I said "emotional connection". For the third date, you generally know if you "like" or "connect with" the person or not. In my relationships, sex has come later, much later.

And I didn't say anything about investment, either.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:13:23 PM
tango If I misread, my bad. I will admit and own any mistakes or misunderstandings. I do screw up, I am human and if so I sincerely apologize. I am somewhat of a brainiac and I've gone through some of what the OP has, so maybe for me this is hits a little close to home. I'm so OVER the you're just too pretty don't bother having to think your looks will get you anything you want. That makes me want to scream. Hope you understand that.
 Goddard
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:21:35 PM
Yes, that's the curse of us pretty people ...
 bucsgirl
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:22:30 PM
tango Thank goodness you understand...maybe together we can end sexual harrassment!
 AngelicPassion
Msg: 81
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:36:58 PM
An intelligent conversation is stimulating but you have to also be able to communicate with "emotional" intelligence. Intelligence is not only measured by an IQ. Example, a famous artist can create a masterpiece, yet may not be able to communicate on the same level as one with a high IQ. I define their intelligence as a "creative" intellect. You have a brilliant mind. If you have an "open mind" you will find you define intelligence in many different forms and are more accepting of those with a lesser intelligence. Good luck..
 passionfly
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/25/2005 9:03:04 PM
ok I did the test on the page in a previous thread and im an ESFP. wooohooo. Now I love myself even more lol

ESFP
People-oriented and fun-loving, they make things more fun for others by their enjoyment. Living for the moment, they love new experiences. They dislike theory and impersonal analysis. Interested in serving others. Likely to be the center of attention in social situations. Well-developed common sense and practical ability.

Thats me in a nutshell all right, help help I'm trapped inside this nutshell lol
 passionfly
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/25/2005 9:23:39 PM
ok this is me perfectly lol
http://www.personalitypage.com/ESFP.html

now to find me an ISTJ (Duty- Fulfiller) or ISFJ (Nuturer). OMG, I can't beleive how dead on accurate this personality profiler is! And it says one of the best careers for me is an actor. Woohoo now I know I'm going to be famous lol
 weird944
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/25/2005 10:00:22 PM
Dear Writtingstar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me give you an example of DUMB. The number of people on this site that have accused me of being arrogant, thinking I'm better than anyone, whatever, is mind blowing. I don't think of myself as better than anyone.

That's your interpretation. Because you think that anyone who makes those statements must be saying so because they want to put others down.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^ Sorry that is a false assumption. I didn't read everyone's post, the ones I did read I did not notice everyone saying they think that; you think, your better than everyone. (Not putting people down) I did notice people saying hey chill a little bit. Take it easy. Drop the numbers game. As for the false assumption. I don't think you want to put others down. Not one bit. I do think you have yourself held up higher on some kind of social structure which baised on who knows what and your communicating that you are in a different category of the human race than the rest of us people. Like your ahead of everyone else in life. In your eyes your not putting people down. The language behind the words and the way your sentences are formed into context is creating a negative outcome from your dialogue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In fact, one might just mention them in order to give a broader perspective of what the real problem is. If one withholds information like that, then accurate information doesn't come in. It's important to see the big picture - so I mentioned the fact that I was considered bright.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^ You can't be considered bright by telling people you are bright. Doing so and you will be considered DUMB in other's people eyes. Why? because you have attempted to force your thoughts to be taken as valid and make them become someone else's thoughts. You never aloud someone else to form their own opinion of you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being intelligent has nothing to do with emotional intelligence. I'm well aware of that. Nor has it anything to do with ADD, being an INTJ, or being attractive. These are all aspects of the big picture. It was important to give the big picture in order to get balanced feedback.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^ Opposite of emotional intelligence = disturbed, In other words. Crack addicts, pedofiles, theifs, spose abusers etc. You need both

For the record, the people most likely to accuse others of thinking that they are better than others, are the precise ones who are feeling inferior.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^ Someone feeling inferior is because they are being treated badly. One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

I didn't do the reply like this to be harsh. Only to try and clear up assumptions and misinformation.
 Nickel1
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/25/2005 10:29:52 PM

looks fade and wither, minds sharpen and grow

Until senility kicks in at least
 Themistocles
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/25/2005 10:53:16 PM
Well I really wanted to post something for writingstar after reading all the posts in this, but now it looks like she has departed. Oh well I'll try it anyway.

I am an INTJ as well and many of those traits you and others describe most definitely apply to me as well. I think I understand a lot of the issues facing you. I used to focus on my intelligence (I was Valedictorian of my high school, won hordes of awards, did very well in college). But I found out I just wasn't happy in doing so. The reason is explained by a lot of people here. By concentrating only on yourself all the time you denigrate the experiences and knowledge of others. Anybody, a lawyer or a garbage man (actually quite similar professions aren't they?) can contribute very very valuable information to your personal progression. I used to think I knew it all and that other people were always wrong and I had all the answers to everything. But like someone else said, it is that precise conception is what gets you into trouble, because then you stop learning. When comparing my intellectual abilities to my peers, I know they had gone downhill during the years I held those beliefs - my peers were gaining intelligence while I was losing it, thinking I had nothing further to learn. But I'm beginning to shed them to the best of my ability and I feel that I am beginning to grow once again. I've learned some new skills I never even considered I could attain, such as singing and playing piano, adding a spiritual component to my life, and approaching men and women with greater social graces. I should stress that this has helped me socialize with others. Every time I start getting into my head that I am better and more knowledgable than everyone else, I squelch those thoughts posthaste because they will only be to my detriment.

WritingStar, I hope you're not truly leaving as I think you could learn a lot by continuing to read and post here and elsewhere on POF. Don't fool yourself into thinking you're going to solve all the problems that drove you to start posting on this and other singles websites in a single day. I know you're smarter than that - perhaps a little naive.
 AngelicPassion
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/25/2005 11:51:25 PM
Writingstar..This has been an interesting thread. I do hope you stay. I think you will be an added bonus to the forums.

Take care,
Angel
 am70sguy
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2005 11:56:47 PM

and all of a sudden the guy will take my hand and say something like, "You've got beautiful eyes" or "You've got a lovely smile" or something...

I'll do that a) to be complimentary, b) see how well they recover. I like to know if they are willing to handle the compliment and if the conversation means enough to recover quickly.

Of course... being as I'm here, this may not be the right approach. But it is entertaining.
 grubeci
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2005 12:29:46 AM
because she'll use her brain and will split the yen and royalties with me for my ideas for her writing..nah...I'm running toward them ..with the brains...and yen
 quietjohn2
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Stay awhile - we're just getting to know you!
Posted: 6/26/2005 1:54:43 AM
Hello Writingstar:
Please don't leave! You may have stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest, but it seems that people are learning about you and you admit that they have taught you something. You're perfectly entitled to be here, and you've updated your profile to make your motives a little clearer. It's inevitable that the first few days / weeks on POF may be a little awkward as you grow to understand the reasons that you are here and others grow to understand you. It seems like the later posts in this thread are warming to you. You are obviously an intelligent woman with the smarts to see that you must continue to grow and learn, also coming to terms with some new and important ideas in your life. Do stay!
 Bunnyfunny
Msg: 91
Posted: 6/26/2005 5:49:38 AM
In view of my changed perspectives and new understanding, I've changed my profile and would value the input of those who are objective and don't have an axe to grind. Afterwards, I will remove myself from this site for a while until I've the courage to come back.

Many thanks.
 magnehelic
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/26/2005 6:08:48 AM
All of our lives have complexity...

All of our lives become so much more over time...

It is this "working of our souls" that solidifies our foundations for relationships and utimately provides validity for what we are searching for...

Writingstar,,, you have shared so much with so many here. It is a quality of yours that must be commended.

I hope you continue to question, continue to grow, continue to search for the answers that will provide for a more beautifully constructed life.

My Very Best Regards.

Ra
 Bunnyfunny
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/26/2005 8:14:27 AM
Lasercar - and it's precisely because of judgmental, stupid people like you that I eventually decided not to relate emotionally to men.. No, I do not badly need to get laid. Men who think with their**** seem to think it's the only think that's the fundamental issue in life. And that it cures all illnesses. I got very hurt because I couldn't imagine that a human being could think with a**** Many women told me that they did. I didn't believe them, but now I know that certain men do. You're obviously one of them.

You also obviously didn't read my new profile in which I make it quite clear that I feel things intensely - but for reasons written there - cannot and do not do it instantly.

What I have - and you lack - is the ability to control the pain and hurt that people like you inflict on me with your careless words. I don't show it to you because I will not give you the pleasure that you so obviously seek.

I've often wondered why it is that people like you respond the way you do. I've arrived at the conclusion that because you cannot touch people intellectually, if someone takes away your ability to touch them physically or emotionally, you're lost. So you resort to insults and hurtful remarks.
 jedbushel
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/26/2005 8:36:58 AM
You have retreated into an ivory tower to protect yourself from the dangers of a world of emotion you have yet to learn to travel safely. Some past tradition of high value placed on intellectual ability gave you a way to be successful, as long as that remains true. So these days the job is to maintain the illusion of intellectual ability, rating highly and so being a good person. It is not conceit, just affirmation. The psychobabble and imaginary altitude serve that purpose. Your fine mind is elevated, deemed good, and so you have a foot hold for your personality. Somehow the emotional development plan got a flat tire and the delay caused missed appointments with many normal human pleasures had with others. There is of course still plenty of time to live, and love.

Nobody has the job of being you except for you, and there is no way you can ever do that job wrong. It is all choices as an adult. So whatever works for you is the right thing to do. If there is any part of life you deem problematic, solutions abound. I won't agree in any case that any person does better without love and intimacy. I can see how it takes being done the right way. I can see how what works for some can't for others. But the basic idea of touch, feeling, pleasure and love as one whole aspect of life, that is not optional, since it is universally human.

Words are a somewhat approach to managing feelings, even when dismissing them and repressing them is the goal. The intellect is reasonable and sometimes intense but cannot be passionate like a kiss can be.

I won't say rudely that you need to get laid. I will say it politely as you need to be loved. I can say this knowing only that you are human. The specific details of your personality, situation and history cannot change it. The details only show the path, not the destination.

I imagine you notice many odd things in the behaviors of others, especially as they attempt to reach you emotionally through sexual expression. These odd things you notice are friends you haven't met yet, like Will Rogers says of strangers.

Engaging in verbal combat protects the balanced ego. It keeps the mirror in focus. It also trades in those undiscovered and banished feelings.

Others see in you the potential of your own passions and pleasures. It may well be true for you that only through intellectual rapport are you ever close or stimulated. But there is also the wordless embrace, and really they are the same. Men run a mile because they are being rebuked by a beautiful woman who squawks as they yank her hair they mistook hanging down from her ivory tower for the staircase to heaven.

MikeJ
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/26/2005 10:32:07 AM

And that's the crux of it, isn't it? Why would I want to sleep with someone when it wasn't going to be a long term relationship. For many women, the only way they can enjoy sex is to commit emotionally, mentally, and in every respect. So, either the sex isn't enjoyable on a one night stand because it's a one night stand, or a six week stand, or they invest emotionally/intellectually, whatever, and the guy is just sleeping with her because 'the sex is good'.

I can't tell you the number of broken women I've sat and listened to for hours while they cried on my shoulder trying to understand why someone they were sleeping with for years ran off the moment marriage was mentioned.... i.e. the male wouldn't consider marriage, but was around for the emotional investment, the sex, etc. Very often, the women gave these things because they understood it was going to lead to marriage.[/qupte]

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that you speak for all women. Men should be mind readers now? Given how coldly you probably act in front of men you perceive to be after only one thing, I don't expect you're actually telling them any of this. No, you probably sit there and listen to them then go home and complain about men, blaming them for everything under the sun. Success (not just financially) is not endearing to people who act this way.

I think you need to realize that just because a man desires sex, it doesn't mean that's all he's after. Some women don't date men who don't have jobs. Should I call them all gold-diggers? Of course not. But for you, the middle ground seems to be somewhere in the abyss.

Yes, they do. And it gets me absolutely nowhere. People are so concerned that they are going to hurt my feelings or my ego or my pride or whatever else, that they don't come out and say things directly. I tend not to understand things that aren't direct.

Here's an interesting comment. Do you even tell your "dates" half of the stuff you're telling us now? Or are you being too "polite" to tell them?

I will not invest in men emotionally or connect to them emotionally until I've known them for quite a long while and got to know them as people. Only when I know for certain that there is a genuine connection (and that can take 6 months or 6 years or maybe 6 days, because it depends on the intensity of genuine connection and the situation), will I open emotionally.

Have a great, lonely life then. This is a two-way street full of compromise, something your genius seems to have missed.

I connect intellectually first. By this I mean that I could talk about anything but NOT emotions and not about my feelings and not about personal stuff. It could be anything on the news, or discussing a movie, or whatever, just so long as its impersonal. When I've learned more about the person and we have something in common, emotional connections will develop. That's why I prefer to meet people at dance classes, at school, at volunteer activities, etc. It means one sees somebody regularly over a period of time and sees how they interact with others and what they're like as people.

Completely fair. For once, you've said something that I don't see inherent contradictions in.

These days I keep meeting men who want instant access - whether emotional or physical - pretty much immediately. Doesn't work for me.

Far more people (men and women) consider sex an integral part of a relationship. you're the black sheep. You either need to communicate this or stop blaming men for your own problems.
 Bunnyfunny
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/26/2005 10:48:12 AM
MikeJ, I don't know quite how you define blame, but I have not ranted about how bad men are. I have brought up some things that I find difficult to relate to. And no, I have never had a conversation with any woman about men. Probably, I should have, but I didn't. Generally, my friends and I don't talk about relationships so much as ideas, theories, events, day to day things. However, on occasion, I have had friends absolutely devastated about being used and that's why I know it's happened. Unfortunately, I could never advise because I didn't know enough to advise. Still don't.

No, of course, I didn't tell men this. I didn't know what the problem was. I repeatedly tried to get help but nobody realized that I had some wiring that didn't work (ADD Type 2 due to wrong wiring in the parietal lobe) so it was never resolved. How could I tell men this when I didn't know it myself, and when I couldn't understand what I was feeling, what they were feeling, what was going on? I'm only discovering this now and working with it now, and sure, now I will tell men about it.

Strangely enough, the reason I get asked out so often is because I'm a warm, friendly person. I have no problems with friendships and friendships DO require warmth. What I have had a problem with is men who come on to me, and where I don't indicate a reciprocal interest/lack of interest. In other words, they don't know where they stand and this frustrates them and they get nasty and accuse me of leading them up the garden path and all sorts of things. By the same token, men who just like me as a human being see me as a warm, loving human being.

I absolutely realize that there are different kinds of men and different kinds of women. By the same token there are groups of men and women who feel the same way and some of these groups are large enough to be spoken of in general terms. A generalisation is exactly that: making a general comment about a general group of people - and not a specific person or group of people that might be different. A general comment refers to a group that is large enough to be recognised as a group.

You are really pissed off by my mentioning my intelligence. Why? Does it make you feel that you can't measure up AND THEREFORE YOU HAVE TO STUFF THE COMMENT IN MY FACE? At no time in my posts have I said or indicated that my intelligence makes me superior. THAT'S YOUR ASSUMPTION AND YOUR BAGGAGE. What I have said is that it is a factor, part of who I am. I DON'T HAPPEN TO THINK INTELLIGENCE MAKES ONE SUPERIOR. I THINK THE THING THAT TRULY MAKES ONE SUPERIOR IS KINDNESS TO OTHERS AND THE ABILITY TO LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY AND NEVER TO CONDEMN OTHERS.
 MikeJ
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/26/2005 10:49:07 AM

Let me give you an example of DUMB. The number of people on this site that have accused me of being arrogant, thinking I'm better than anyone, whatever, is mind blowing. I don't think of myself as better than anyone.

If you don't think that way, then you have problems communicating with people because that is the impression you gave off judging by the response.

That's your interpretation.

Ah, the tired old "everything is subjective" defense. How predictable.

Great communicators speak to their audience, not to themselves. Poor communicators say something ambigious and expect everybody to understand exactly what they mean. If others don't, well they're too ignorant to bother with, right? This seems to be your philosophy with men. What's worse you're blaming men, not yourself.

A brick wall could have anticipated how your post would come off. But you chose to articulate it in that manner anyways. Since you're a genius, what can I conclude except an intentional attempt to glorify yourself? I suppose I could have been wrong, maybe you're just utterly incapable of communicating with people (remember kids, talking is not communicating).

Because you think that anyone who makes those statements must be saying so because they want to put others down. In fact, one might just mention them in order to give a broader perspective of what the real problem is. If one withholds information like that, then accurate information doesn't come in. It's important to see the big picture - so I mentioned the fact that I was considered bright.

And just what about mentioning that you're in the top 1% of the world intelligence wise is necessary? There are dozens of other ways you could say that without coming off as pompous and arrogant. But you chose the one that comes off as exceedingly arrogant.

But hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You really weren't trying to be conceited - maybe you just don't have a good grasp of the English language?

See I have no problem with arrogance. I'm as arrogant as they come. What irritates me are people who try to mask that arrogance (particularly when it is very clumsily done) - people need to start being true to themselves.

For the record, the people most likely to accuse others of thinking that they are better than others, are the precise ones who are feeling inferior.

Yes, you got me. You're actually spot on here - I take offense to someone so out of touch saying I (the collective I) am out of touch. It's embarassing and to say nothing would only leave people to think it is true. In an ideal world, I wouldn't have to say anything - everyone would realize your post for what it is. But this is not an ideal world.
 jedbushel
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/26/2005 10:51:17 AM
yelling helps show your warm friendly side

I think we're officially in the Twilight Zone now...

beer is good

mmmm beer
 MikeJ
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/26/2005 10:59:07 AM
MikeJ, I don't know quite how you define blame, but I have not ranted about how bad men are. I have brought up some things that I find difficult to relate to.

How can you say that? Did you even read your first post before you hit the post button?

No, of course, I didn't tell men this. I didn't know what the problem was. I repeatedly tried to get help but nobody realized that I had some wiring that didn't work (ADD Type 2 due to wrong wiring in the parietal lobe) so it was never resolved. How could I tell men this when I didn't know it myself, and when I couldn't understand what I was feeling, what they were feeling, what was going on? I'm only discovering this now and working with it now, and sure, now I will tell men about it.

So you're saying you've been completely oblivious to your feelings for the past 50 years of your life, but finding out the terminology for your "disorder" was an epiphany that led to self-realization? Hah!

Strangely enough, the reason I get asked out so often is because I'm a warm, friendly person. I have no problems with friendships and friendships DO require warmth. What I have had a problem with is men who come on to me, and where I don't indicate a reciprocal interest/lack of interest. In other words, they don't know where they stand and this frustrates them and they get nasty and accuse me of leading them up the garden path and all sorts of things. By the same token, men who just like me as a human being see me as a warm, loving human being.

I thought you weren't ranting about how bad men are? Do you really expect me to believe you when you're saying stuff like this (which, for the record, I have no reason to think is untrue)?

You are really pissed off by my mentioning my intelligence. Why? Does it make you feel that you can't measure up AND THEREFORE YOU HAVE TO STUFF THE COMMENT IN MY FACE?

Like I already said, clumsly attempts to veil intentions is what irritates me. I hate dishonesty and unlike the 99% of people who say they seek honesty, I actually mean it.

At no time in my posts have I said or indicated that my intelligence makes me superior.

This is like neo-nazis claming they're just pro-white. You do realize the subtleties involved here, do you not?

THAT'S YOUR ASSUMPTION AND YOUR BAGGAGE. What I have said is that it is a factor, part of who I am. I DON'T HAPPEN TO THINK INTELLIGENCE MAKES ONE SUPERIOR. I THINK THE THING THAT TRULY MAKES ONE SUPERIOR IS KINDNESS TO OTHERS AND THE ABILITY TO LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY AND NEVER TO CONDEMN OTHERS.

Actually, 99% of dentists will agree that persons claiming to be in the top 1% of the world intelligence wise, being in Mensa, whatever - are full of themselves.

Which is cool. I like arrogant women, but the dishonesty train you're using to haul that arrogance is an irritant.
 Bunnyfunny
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/26/2005 11:03:49 AM
mikej, every single time I have gone for career guidance, in trying to find out why I couldn't hold down a job, why I battled in the work environment, I had to do endless I.Q. and psychometric tests.

If I.Q. wasn't important, why do so many people insist on taking it. And if the results weren't particularly relevant in some way, why did so many people sit there and gasp at my results, and be impressed.

I'm sorry if I mistakenly thought that maybe it was important, but I got that impression from other people. To be arrogant means to sneer at people. The entire tone of all your responses to me have been to put me down. Please note it is only to people like you, who put me down and accuse me of arrogance that I would say something like ' You're stupid". Why do I use the word 'stupid'. Because it seems that this is the one thing that gets through to you. For what it's worth, I don't think in terms of people being stupid. I think in terms of people lacking wisdom, perception, kindness, compassion, etc.

In reality, I think you lack compassion, perception, and don't have enough life experience to read accurately between the lines.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?