Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwacorn
Msg: 130
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?Page 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Telling us how smarter you are than the any categorized group only proves your insecurity and a need to stay on daddy's knee.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 131
Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?
Posted: 7/12/2005 12:00:26 PM
I can only speak for myself. I love men generally, always have. There are some who have been told me they're intimidated by my intelligence just because when they asked what I did, i was teaching college. Oh you're a professor, geez.....haha funny thing was, after awhile I was talking and laughing with this one guy, and he thought I was "funny" and "cool". He even bumped into me later and introduced his friend to me, hey this lady's a professor but man she's cool....funny. Point is that if you use intelligence, some use great beauty, whatever, as a barrier to keep people away, you'll die old alone in a recliner with the TV on, a can of Pabst in one hand, a cigar in the other, dog looking up at you with his head tilted... wondering what happened. Intelligence or any other quality is something to be shared and enjoyed not used as a weapon to intimidate. There's a guy on here that almost intimidates me with his keen humor, I'm afraid to look stupid if I have to say, hey, I didn't quite get that!!! hahaha I realize that the OP has some physical problems that limit her interaction. So give her a break, she's a bit of an exception. You can either attract or alienate people, whether you use intelligence, humor, looks..... I am a people person, so I like to attract people rather than try to intimidate them. Like I said, that's just me, can only speak for me.
 Sol298
Msg: 132
Posted: 7/12/2005 12:04:25 PM
Actually I find a woman with a "brain" as more attractive than one who has a lack of intelligence. If she's got a deep mind, then her communication skills are going to be through the roof- which helps relationships (good communication!). She also would more than likely have a great sense of humor too. Another perk :)

Don't feel bad about having an intellect, you just haven't found the right guy yet.
 x_soldat
Msg: 133
Posted: 7/12/2005 2:02:27 PM
Sherman, set the Wayback Machine to Channel 12, Thursday night "Hogan's Heros" is on.

Overview : General Burkhalter suggests that marrying into the right family can do a lot for an officer's career, then introduces Klink to his sister and niece. The General is trying to marry off his battle-ax sister Gertrude, but Klink believes that he is intended for the beautiful niece. Klink is crushed when the widow Gertrude is the one who shows up for dinner and not the niece. In return for Hogan's help, Klink promises to get a good night's sleep.

Note: Gertrude is built like a fireplug and has the personality of a junkyard dog on PMS.
Nonetheless she is smitten with Col. Wilhelm Klink, Commandant of Luftstalag 13. At the General's suggestion, the couple are driven in a staffcar to the local Inspiration Point. Klink is flailing linguistically to extract himself from this situation, painfully aware that if he torques off Gertrude, who is the General's sister, he may -- lo and behold -- find sudden orders to report for combat duty on the Eastern Front (where it is very cold and lots of Germans are dying).

Klink:) [nervous and halting] Gertrude...?

Gertrude:) [hopeful that he will pop the question] Yes, Wilhelm??

Klink:) You are a strong woman..

Gertrude:) [smiling at the compliment] Yes, Wilhelm, I am strong...

Klink:) [in obvious great discomfort] and you are a smart woman..

Gertrude:) Yes, Wilhelm, I am a smart woman [practically glowing at this point]

Klink:) [then rapidly letting it all out] But I need someone weak and stupid!

Gertrude:) GASP!

Klink:) ..someone I can talk to!

Gertrude:) [Furious. Calls driver] Schullllllllllllllllllllllllllzzz!
 Passinthru
Msg: 134
Posted: 7/12/2005 3:08:01 PM
Sweety it's been noticed and although initially I was a bit drawn into this thread something just didn't quite "jive". You and several others seemingly pinned it down as the thread has evolved and I'm in complete agreement with you here. She has issues that won't be resolved in the forums and it's pointless for us to perpetuate her feeding her ego here.

I for one enjoy spending time with intelligent women. It's the ones who lack sufficient introspection who I find boorish regardless of their IQs.
 x_soldat
Msg: 135
Posted: 7/13/2005 2:44:38 PM
Frankly if I could find the babe who could hold forth on Quantum Physics, nanotechnology and suck a golfball through 50 foot of garden hose....

MANnnn!

[pardon me while amble off the to the loo with Science Digest and some jergens..]
 x_soldat
Msg: 136
Posted: 7/13/2005 5:25:43 PM
[continued from page 212]

I could see, as her lab coat fell open, that she was only wearing a bustier, a garterbelt and fishnet stockings underneath. Her perfume overwhelmed me as she came nearer, standing on tiptoe to press her lipsticked lips to my ear...

"...and.." she cooed, a set of shiney keys dangling from her exquisite fingers,

"...I've got access to a high energy, pumped chemical laser.."

I thought'd I'd lose it right there.

My slide ruler was at full ten-hut.

--- SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE, an erotic dissertation on particle physics by

Jack Hammer
 Wild Iris
Msg: 137
Posted: 7/14/2005 11:46:01 AM
Intelligence is as intelligence does. This type of behavior could probably be categorized as one type of affective disorder or another. Ego-driven, insecure people bolster up their self-esteem by bragging to anyone who will listen about their superior brainpower. The compulsion to tell the world about it in an overt way is not only irritating, but comical if it is entirely without proof.
 Wild Iris
Msg: 138
Posted: 7/14/2005 11:46:07 AM
Intelligence is as intelligence does. This type of behavior could probably be categorized as one type of affective disorder or another. Ego-driven, insecure people bolster up their self-esteem by bragging to anyone who will listen about their superior brainpower. The compulsion to tell the world about it in an overt way is not only irritating, but comical if it is entirely without proof.
 ayrlyn
Msg: 139
Posted: 7/14/2005 11:53:03 AM
@soldat- hehe quantum physics rocks. But leave me alone with my accelerator! No touching! Those electrons are MINE. Plus... I love the breakdown of newtonian physics ;)

Now all I need is a strong magnetic field, so I can take everyone's car keys and hide them.

And if you were mocking the wonderful field of the subatomic, then they'll getcha back somehow. Maybe in a singularity!
 YamIhere
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2005 12:00:01 PM

OT: I find that some men are intrigued with a woman if they both have knowledge about a particular subject. It develops into quite an interesting conversation.

Right on. Actually, I find it to be a bit of a turn on. A woman who can stimulate my mind will stimulate ... well ... other things!
 YamIhere
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2005 12:15:04 PM
^^^^There’s a woman, I’d be willing to bet, who knows how to stimulate a mind!
 SICutie
Msg: 142
Posted: 7/14/2005 12:21:42 PM
i don't think anyone needs to be jumping on writingstar. she should be proud of herself and i hope she finds what she's looking for.

i'm smart, i have no idea what percentage but some days it feels like top 1%. i love having stimulating conversations with men and women alike
 your_pet_lion
Msg: 143
Posted: 7/14/2005 1:35:01 PM
When I was in college I learned the difference between "smart" people and "super-smart" people. The smart kids were unbearable to be around because they were so proud of how smart they were, and were always trying to start debates so that they could force their theories down your throat, and prove to everyone how "smart" they were.

But I noticed something unusual. The absolute "rocket scientist" kids, were totally not that way. They were much more open-minded, better listeners, didn't especially feel the need to "win someone over" to their point of view, and were totally cool to hang with.

So, in answer to the basic premise of this thread. I bet men (and probably women too) run from irritating know-it-all girls who are merely "smart" and go around with a chip on their shoulder about it. Show me a "super-smart" gal though, and if she looks even half-way cute I'd be all over her like white on a labcoat!!!
 Double Cabin
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2005 11:25:46 AM
Because they might be scarecrows? Or possibly the brain is used all to self servingly? Beyond sight, smell, and sound, intelligence is the sexiest thing for me.
 dskate
Msg: 145
Posted: 7/15/2005 12:36:57 PM
writingstar---Nothing, and I truly mean NOTHING, is more exciting than appealing to the brain, the ultimate aphrodisiac. I know a couple, in their 70's and he told me they still have hot sex, and said the key is because they stimulate their minds, and the rest follows. So, we all don't run. As a matter of fact,physical beauty fades, but the minds eye still finds the attractiveness of the heart, and after all, is that not what we want?
 girlfridayjojo
Msg: 146
Posted: 7/15/2005 2:27:39 PM
yes some of us are cursed with wanting to meet a smart and whitty person and having to put up with what does that word mean instead....do I look like a f***ing dictonary?!
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 147
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/15/2005 2:53:19 PM
Squirrly, I can't believe I'm posting another repetitious post,,gawddddd. But as to your observation, have you talked to my wife. She says I'm the monster from Hell when I sleep because of not only snoring, but yelling, and screaming. It's enough to wake the dead. She thinks it's sleep apnea. Maybe that will be the end of me. One can always hope.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 149
Posted: 7/15/2005 3:07:30 PM
squirrly <-----funny lady!! hahaha I think it did!
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/15/2005 3:11:17 PM
(No more smart ass remarks from the balcony, please! It sounds like repetition to me.)
 bucsgirl
Msg: 151
Posted: 7/15/2005 3:14:52 PM
(yelling) Yeah, you up in the balcony, pipe down will ya?
 fellfromheaven
Msg: 152
Posted: 7/16/2005 2:07:51 PM
Only a mile?My daughters in Kindergarten and she can run three...Shape up people ..Jeez
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 153
Posted: 7/16/2005 5:12:31 PM
Is this woman talking to me?? Ya talkin to me? That's dangerous. Better run.
 fujianguy
Msg: 154
Posted: 7/16/2005 9:38:11 PM
My girlfriend of three years had everything, personality, looks, figure, and the most important thing, a high level intelligence. Unlike some brainy women who have no personality, she had it all. I think you are wrong about men. Some men love women who are intelligent, at least you can always have a good conversation. Who wants to carry on a talk with an airhead?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men run a mile from a girl with a brain and a yen for using it?