Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jojoaus
Msg: 4
view profile
History
soups!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
It's summer here but I have served this (non-tofu) soup on a hot Christamas day. It has tortillas in it as per the recipe but i tend to serve garlicky tortillas on the side. Up to you.
Tortilla lime soup
1 med white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, quartered
1 red Thai chiili, chopped
4 med tomatoes (vine ripened), quartered
1 tblspn peanut oil (I use sesame)
1/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cups veg stock
1.25 ltrs water
2 tsp lime rind
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup tom paste
1/3 cup peanut oil (extra)
1 med avocado, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped coriander (cilantro for the yanks!!)

Process white onion, chilli, garlic and tomato til pureed
Heat oil in saucepan. Cook the tomato mixture and allspice, stirring, til fragrant. 5 mins or so.
Add stock, water, rind, juice and paste. Bring to the boil, simmer 15 mins or til mixture thickens a bit.
If you want tortillas in the soup...fry gently til golden.
Divide tortilla strips into bowls if you are doing it this way. Ladle soup over them and top with avo, green onion and coriander/cilantro.
This recipe is yummmmmm!! So easy to make and even my 78 yr old fussy dad loves it. Hope someone feels like trying it

to the OP... my fave way of using up leftover tofu with leftover rice is nasi goreng...heaven!!
 Miss W
Msg: 11
soups!
Posted: 2/5/2009 4:38:43 PM
I make a pot of soup every week during the cooler season. Here's one of my favorites:
MIDWESTERN CHOWDER
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 tsp. thyme
2 potatoes, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 green or red pepper, diced
1 cup whole kernel corn
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup white wine
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Melt 1 tablespoon butter and saute onion, celery, and thyme until vegetables are soft.

Add potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cover with water and cook until vegetables are tender but still solid. Add green or red pepper and corn and set aside.

In large soup pot, melt 1/4 cup butter, add flour, and cook until bubbly.

Add milk and stir until mixture thickens and boils.

Add vegetables and their broth. Stir in cheese, mustard, wine and parsley. Season to taste.

It tends to thicken if it sits a while - add more broth or wine. It is not as much work as it sounds - really just boiling veggies as if for soup or stew, then making a roux. The combination of cheese, wine, and mustard really is tasty.

Servings: 6
 not2fishy
Msg: 16
view profile
History
soups!
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:12:00 AM
I'm with you OP soups are fun to make.

Aren't soups something you can just throw together too? I remember a few years ago throwing together some veggie broth, potatoes and leeks and coming out with some yummy potato-leek soup.

Indeed you can here's a rough guide for one that is in that vain.

Potato and Leek Stew

You can do this one vegetarian or with bacon and chicken. It's great both ways! You just start them a bit differently.

For the Bacon and chicken variety:

Cut 4 strips of pepper bacon into small strips
Place that in the bottom of you stock pot on medium high heat
Let the bacon get crispy
Throw in 6 to 8 chicken tenders cut in to bite size bits
Let the chicken cook in the bacon grease
When chicken is mostly cooked add 3 medium sized chopped leaks (they will cook down)
Be sure to soak you leeks first! They have grit that can be unpleasant. I usually soak them while I'm prepping the first bits here and that seems long enough.
Add salt and pepper and a teaspoon of minced garlic.
Let that cook until to a good sweat and the leeks become soft. You may need to add some olive oil if you don't have enough meat grease to keep the leeks from sticking.
Add vegetable stock. enough to cover your leeks and but still leave room to a your potatoes. Say 64 to 76 oz.
Bring that to a boil for ten minutes.
Reduce your heat to medium.
Add 6 to 8 small washed unpeeled golden potatoes cut into smaller than bite size pieces.
Let that go on medium until the potatoes are good and soft.
Taste your broth when you check the potatoes and add more pepper until it's to your liking.
This recipe will tolerate lots and lots of black pepper and most folks seem to prefer it that way so don't freak out if it seems like you put in a ton.

The vegetarian variety follows the same way expect you start by sweating your soaked leeks with just olive oil and leave out the bacon and chicken.

I call this a stew because it's hearty and even hard core carnivores seem to like the vegetarian variety.

I hope you enjoy this one.
 not2fishy
Msg: 17
view profile
History
soups!
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:45:51 AM
If you like to make up soups as you go along here's sleepwalker68's guide to general souping.

Fat- you gotta have some and you usually start with it in the bottom of your stock pot before you add much else. Melting butter, olive oil or by cooking your meat in the bottom of your pot and leaving the grease. Remember pork fat equals love so bacon is great for this but most of the time I just start with melted butter. Just remember not let anything stick or burn.

Mirepoix-the fancy French way to say a finely diced combination of roughly equal parts onion, celery and carrot. You cook that in your fat until the onions are clear before you add anything else. Not all soups need this but it's hard to go wrong by putting it in.

Base spices- Salt and pepper always. Garlic is also good most of the time. Add these to the mirepoix (One should say this at least once out loud while making the soup. It's makes you sound like you know what your doing and actually have a plan. lol)as it's finishing and let them be for about a minute.

Broth or liquids- Use something appropriate to what your cooking beef broth for beef and mushroom soup, chicken broth for chicken noodle, vegetable for veggie based soup or tomato juice etc. If you want to get real fancy you can reduce some red wine in your pot before adding beef stock for beef soup or white for chicken. If your going to use milk be careful. Heat the milk in your microwave a little first and let your pot cool way down and bring up the temp slowly Stir more often than you think you should. You can add water to most soups but remember you are thinning your flavors so don't over do. However like a lot of the soups above the ingredients "cook away" and will turn your water into a broth as they go so some experimenting may be in order.

Then add your bits. Be creative use any combo you think might be good. Just remember to keep things bite sized or smaller and give some though to how long they might need to cook or if they are delicate how long they can tolerate being simmered before breaking up.

Taste as you go and add more spices as needed.

If you scorch your soup a little sugar may save it. If you add to much salt throw in a peeled raw potato or two to soak it up then remove them.

Have fun. Soup is good food.
 CurvesssDaytona
Msg: 19
view profile
History
soups!
Posted: 2/26/2009 11:10:09 PM
WOW everyone such awesome recipes...here is one for Homemade Chicken Soup:

"Jewish" Penicillin
5 lbs chicken leg quarters
2 lb bag carrots cut in 1" chunks
1 bunch celery cut in 1" chunks
3 large onions cut in quarters
1 tbsp dill weed
chicken stock or paste
salt and pepper

My Jewish ex-mother-in-law gave m this recipe
Remove skin from the leg quarters and place in a soup pot with water to cover about 2 inches over the chicken. Add the dill weed, 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is very tender about 30 minutes. Remove chicken and let cool. Meanwhile add the vegetables and add enough stock or chicken paste to make a rich broth but not too salty. Bring soup back to a boil and simmer vegeatables till tender about 30 minutes. While soup is cooking pick meat from the bones and add to the soup after the vegetables are done. You can cook some rice or macaroni and add to the soup bowls. Dont add to the soup or they will get too overcooked and mushy. I love my chicken soup with fresh grated parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper.

Lentil Stew
This is very simple but really good

1 bag green or brown lentils washed and picked over for stones
2 cans Italian Style stewed tomatoes
2 large onions chopped
2 cups chopped celery
2 qts Chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Pour lentils in a soup pot and add stock, tomatoes, celery and onions. Bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper and simmer till lentils are soft about an hour.

Italian Meatball Soup

1 large bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 large can crushed plum tomatoes
1 lb ground chuck
1 egg
1/4 cup Italian Style bread crumbs
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
2 qts beek stock

Combine the beef, egg, bread crumbs and garlic. Shape into 1" meatballs. Set aside. Add vegetables, tomatoes and beef stock to a soup pot. Bring to a boil and drop meatballs gently into soup. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with parmesan cheese. ( yeah I love the stuff )
 mik1950
Msg: 20
soups!
Posted: 2/27/2009 5:51:29 AM

"Jewish" Penicillin

i snorted coffee outta my nose readin that dammit...lol
heres a basic cream soup base...it can be adapted to suit any cream soup need...
melt 4 tbsp butter and 4 tbsp flour together in a soup pot...(yes i know the fancy shmancy french name for it)...
cook over med heat until the flour cooks a bit...whisking constantly...slowly add a quart or so of milk..keep whisking...the heat should be low enough so the milk doesnt scorch...to this i add about a tbsp of powdered chicken soup base for flavor...a tsp or so of salt...or to taste...a pinch of celery seed and a bay leaf...i also add a bit of cayenne to mine...after about 20 min or so you should have a creamy velvety stock in your pot...go from there...
i made cream of brocolli yesterday and it was excellent...pre cook the brocolli first and chop it into managable sized pieces before adding it...
(my stock yesterday was a tad thin...damn milk carton slipped and i added more milk than i shoulda)...no worries...i boiled a tater till soft...smashed it very fine...and added it as a thickener...
for potato soup...dice the taters into 3/8" or so cubes...boil them just this side of done and add...bacon and green onions are nice in tater soup too...shredded cheddar if you so wish also...
fot mushroom soup...use the big white mushrooms and fry them in butter first...you can use shitakes, criminis or even portobellas but they will turn the soup dark...
asparagus and cauliflower are two more things you can add to cream soup base...
oh yeah...yesterday as a bit of a flavor boost...i added a handful of celery...i used the leafy part tho chopped up finely...garnish with parsley...
precook your veggies you use so they are not quite done when you add them to the stock...they will finish cooking in the pot...
the powdered chicken soup base is a must tho...otherwise the soup will taste bland...vary the amount to suit your taste...same with salt
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >