Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 97
Is a DJ a musician?Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
dj's that sample other artists are PLAYING SOMEONE ELSE'S MUSIC!

same as the dj in the peeler bar.

i might call a "wiki wiki" scratcher guy an artist but not a musician.

k.w.
former dj
 redraider609
Msg: 98
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/4/2011 2:17:09 AM
A musician is a person who composes, performs, or creates music in some way. Now, whether or not that music is purely composed by that DJ, or it is mixed and mashed up/cut from other people's own compositions is not important: it is STILL MUSIC, therefore the person who creates it is a musician (the DJ).

Also, never confuse the quality of music with the idea that the person who made it is not a musician. If you think it is noise, or just so terrible, it doesn't mean that it isn't music..... there are so many people out there who state something along the lines of *ugh that is so terribly sounding, how can anyone consider that music*.

Well it is music. Even if it isn't quality music that was crafted carefully and with purely musical intentions. "Talent" has NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with holding the label of musician.

EXAMPLE: If a child is banging a ladle on a metal pot for 5 minutes with the conscious intention of rhythm, it is being a musician for 5 minutes.

EXAMPLE #2: The sound of rain falling on a tin roof and the boom of thunder are noises that are non-musical because there was no one there to create them - they occurred naturally. If I was to sample these noises and throw them together (even in the simplest and easiest way with no technique) I am being a musician.

P.S. I have studied music, am classically trained, and am currently a professional musician.

Thanks.
 redraider609
Msg: 99
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/4/2011 8:51:42 AM

Has anybody actually said this on the thread?

Who cares if anyone has said it yet? I'm saying it now. Every word of my response doesn't need to be directly correlated to anything that has been said before. I'm making a point.

Another vote for "throw a rock at the wall "- get your union card.

If I organized the sound of that rock hitting the wall to occur at a certain time and have a certain musical purpose, then yes it would be music. Just the sound of a rock hitting the wall without any kind of purpose or musical thought would be noise.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 104
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/9/2011 10:02:37 PM

. I think there's a difference between a musician and a professional musician though. I like a professional musician should be able to read music in all the clefs, transpose music, be able to recognize intervals and chords, and be proficient at at least one instrument.

so ozzy isn't a professional? he can't read anything. can't play an instrument.

slash can't read music. the list is endless.

a professional gets PAID for playing or writing music. period.

k.w.
seriously?
 Jamerson54
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/10/2011 3:55:57 PM
FFS.....some total shite going down here. The question in the first instance is ridiculous. I am, or rather have been, a musician and DJ, and there is no comparison between the two.
Not going into a heavy discussion, save to say......try using a dictionary, or for the challenged, Wikipedia. The answer lies therein.
 TeeToTheEyeToTheEm
Msg: 107
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/19/2011 2:37:24 AM
Yeah, you are right. Electricity is a DJ's Kryptonite. Thankfully, most venues pay their power bill. I used to dis DJ's alot and thought the same way most people do. That is, until I sat down and tried to write a Lex Luger beat and realized how much of a **** is was to tame that bass. You have to seriously manipulate not just the tone but the SHAPE of the sound you are trying to produce or it will modulate (clip). We've all made fun of the guys blasting their rap beats that rattle the license plates and think "Man that is so stupid". Well, if you are sitting in that car you are getting every single organ in your body assaulted with the sickest bass on the planet. When its done right it really is an experience. I have the utmost respect for DJ's/producers that can pull that off because it is not easy.
 playfulpete
Msg: 108
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/21/2011 7:43:58 AM
In one word NO.They just play the songs
 musical_turtle
Msg: 111
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/27/2011 5:05:03 PM
I don't think they're musicians, but I do like house music lol I can't help it
 Tayfire
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/29/2011 10:49:45 AM
No not in the true sense but it helps if you have some musical knowledge and can get people up on the dance floor no matter what kind of function and age group?
 marcusrolla
Msg: 115
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/11/2011 8:43:26 PM
there are 2 different types of djs ones that play music and ones that produce music i do both so the answer is yes

u havent seen a real dj im srry that u were exposed to that treatment and tourture but the turntable is an instrument
 marcusrolla
Msg: 116
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/11/2011 8:44:32 PM
a disc jockey plays music i produce electronic music and have keyboards and all kind of hardware
 DissonantNiko
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/12/2011 3:04:11 AM
Well for the record a turntable is an instrument. The classification of and instrument is the ability to make tones (notes), be able to reproduce the same sound, and lastly being able to write it down in musical notation. The turntable became an instrument when DJ Radar was able to write down music(sheet music) and play it in front of an audience. The way he did it was amazing. He wrote town the tone or pitch the same way any other MUSICIAN would do it but above it, he used percussion markers to symbolize when the cross-fader would need to be cut in. The tone was created by the speed he would move the record. He performed live with a orchestra, 1 turntable and 1 record. It was glorious.

A musician is someone who makes music. It doesn't have to be live in front of an audience. If you like to bang on things to make a beat, then you are a musician. If you like to sing in the shower, you are a musician.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 118
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/12/2011 8:38:31 PM

If you like to sing in the shower, you are a musician.

so........

if you drive a car, you're a race car driver.

if you make a sandwich, you're a gourmet chef.

if you walk to the corner, you're an athlete.

if you smoke weed, you're cheech and chong.

k.w.
please
 Dessi67
Msg: 119
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/12/2011 11:07:41 PM
I don't believe dj's are musicians. I believe they can be composers and entertainers, but not musicians, unless they can sing (I mean really sing) or play an instrument. Vocalists, however, are musicians. A good vocalist works just as hard as a guitarist, bassist, or any other musician. And, no, one does not need to read music to be a really great musician. In fact, (no offense to music readers out there...your hard work is to be commended) I have more respect for people who can't read music and still burn up keys and fretboards, and are able to sing both lead and harmonies. That's just straight up talent, and has to be appreciated.
 EndShadow
Msg: 120
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/13/2011 12:51:25 AM
I'd have to agree with most people on here who say that a DJ is not a musician, but more so an entertainer even though I'm struggling to try and become one myself. I'm what you call "musically dangerous". I know just enough to pick apart what I think is wrong and piss you off to no end. LOL. I do have a great deal of respect for those that can play an instrument both unplugged and amped however, mostly because as someone said before, I can't play an instrument to save my life.

However on the flip side, I will argue (yes long sentence coming up) that it takes a good portion of talent and patience to be able to find a song in the playlist, put it on a deck, and then while that song is playing, find another song you can play next, program a stutter marker, match speeds while making sure the pitch isn't too far off, look up sound bits and effects to overlay in deck one, time the scratches right (if any), time the use of effects, play with the EQ so that no one frequency is too overpowering, and making sure you're ready to cross fade to the next song all while a dude off to the side is screaming at you over the music to play something he has on his iPod that you have no control over which is probably 50+ bpm slower or faster than the song you're playing because his girlfriend’s friend’s cousin likes it and wants to hear it RIGHT NOW. Then do all that in the space of about a minute.

Is a shorter answer, weather you're spinning vinyl or plucking steel, it takes talent

DJ Bones
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/23/2011 1:43:24 AM
I'm a dj and I just do it for the cash as I just don't care about the question if a dj is a musician or not but without a dj who will play the tunes in a club where there are no bands hmmmmm just a thought
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 123
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 11/1/2011 4:28:27 PM
"I suppose a "professional" is anyone that gets paid to do something. A lot of musicians don't have basic skills though. It's like a chef that has no basics but gets paid to deep fry things. So, he's a professional chef, but he doesn't have basic culinary skills."

No, he's a cook. He's merely a technician, just like a DJ.

ALL Musicians have basic skills, by definition. Not being able to read or transcribe doesn't prevent a musician from playing an instrument.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 124
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 11/1/2011 5:14:32 PM

A lot of musicians don't have basic skills though.

ALL Musicians have basic skills, by definition.

so..........ya wanna make up your mind?
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 125
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:05:30 PM
Make up my mind? About what?
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 128
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 12/8/2011 6:26:46 PM
i'm a musician AND a producer. YOU haven't got a clue what a producer does. you're talking about programers.
"Producers are traditionally responsible for making sure that everything that needs to happen for the project to be finished is accomplished. Generally during the negotiation process a producer will come up with an estimated cost for producing the project, which includes an itemized budget for things like studio time, paying session players, any royalties or licensing fees, renting a glockenspiel, and removing the green M&Ms from the candy jars. If that budget is approved by whomever is supplying the funds (which can be the producer, the artist, or a label), then any costs that go over are usually the producer’s responsibility. If the project comes in under budget, then usually the producer can pocket the difference. The producer chooses what studios are right for the budget and needs of the session (a large open space with a pool in the middle of an enchanted forest or a no-frills nose-to-the-grind basement in the middle of Manhattan?), what musicians are appropriate, how long to spend on the project, what engineer would get the best result, etc. Some experienced and successful producers will actually front the entire cost of the project, effectively acting as a temporary record label. Others will not invest any of their own money in the project – only their reputation will be on the line."
 RedElectric
Msg: 129
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 12/21/2011 12:42:12 PM
i think if they're using turn tables, or some sort of mixer then yes, but a computer or playlist dj, mmm nah
 kevin4you1
Msg: 130
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 3/8/2012 9:46:20 PM
Yes its more than a talent its difficult talent especially when you r a karaoke and DJ owner you have to know music and know how to sing and have a voice know how to read a crowd so yes we r musicians DJ kick it
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 131
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 3/9/2012 7:46:33 PM

Yes its more than a talent its difficult talent especially when you r a karaoke and DJ owner you have to know music and know how to sing and have a voice know how to read a crowd so yes we r musicians DJ kick it

that made me stupid just by trying to understand it.

k.w.
doesn't speak tard
 UKTom2
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 5/8/2012 4:06:28 PM
A good DJ will have musical appreciation, yes. That's not the same as being a musician though.
 playfulpete
Msg: 133
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 5/18/2012 11:45:52 AM
Drummer,s are musicians,a DJ isn,t.Example of a drummer being a musician...Neil Peart of Rush.He writes most of their song and music .
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >