Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > "The straw that broke the camels back".      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4x4+geek
Msg: 9
view profile
History
The straw that broke the camels back.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
IMHO the saying is used to justify a decision made for some other reason, probably emotional. It seems to me logical decisions have reasonable explanations. Too often I've seen "The straw..." used as an excuse for rash or excessive (re)action to a difficulty.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 10
The straw that broke the camels back.
Posted: 2/12/2009 5:32:38 AM
It always comes back to communication.

If you are competent at communicating with others, and you use empathy, you should be able to deal with most things big or small.
There has to be willingness within you to recognize that what is important to you, may not be to another and accept that for what it is. No one has a claim on being "right" in how they feel; they just have to accept it as their own feelings.
We can tend to want to force someone else into "thinking like me" when that way of thinking may be completely alien to them.

The proverbial "straw" is nothing more than your reaching a point where your interest in "trying" has reached its limit. There seems to be something ingrained in us that feels the need to tag that breaking point with some "thing" (straw) or to lay blame on another’s actions or inactions.

I do believe that the "breaking point" comes quicker today as we are such "instant gratification" seekers as to think that if that person isn't just so... and "right now", that we grab the "straw" and hightail it out of there on Sally the Camel. (she is a bad camel by the way because she had "two humps")
 tornado1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2009 7:32:34 AM
Hmm.....I used this expression just the other day at work, when I ended up exploding over something seemingly trivial. It was a case of not feeling able to speak my mind over a very frustrating, ongoing stressful situation, which I had no control over, but in the end.......I made things much worse and just looked silly! Although it did finally force me and my co-workers to face the problem and talk about it (a couple days later). Ok, so maybe it served a purpose, but I admit I could have handled it better.

This rarely happens in my romantic relationships, cause I am known to speak my mind, for better or worse......lol. But you can't control how another person communicates and I have a girlfriend of 50 years who does this repeatedly.......doesn't talk about issues, then has her "straw that broke the camel's back" moment, doesn't talk to me for months, then starts the process all over again! Luckily she is like a sister to me and I love her, so I keep forgiving her and because I now expect this behaviour from her, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to.
 BonnieB
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2009 9:23:10 AM

The proverbial "straw" is nothing more than your reaching a point where your interest in "trying" has reached its limit.

My thoughts exactly.

B.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > "The straw that broke the camels back".