Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Wiccans and Pagans! Give Me That Old Time Religion!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 miss music
Msg: 20
view profile
History
What do you believe?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Thanks Sidheanwwyn for your thought out response. If you do find any good websites on the topic, please let me know. I totally agree about there being a lot of misinformation on the internet. There is certainly tonnes about the Catholic faith!

About "pagan" vs "wiccan", I've always associated "wiccan" more with covens and witches while "pagan" seems more shamanic to me. I don't know if that's anywhere close to the truth though. It's just my impression.

I'm not sure how quantum physics and field theory are supposed to support the concept that physical forms and personal energy can be "used to make changes in ourselves and our environment". What is "personal energy"? Is it like the Oriental concept of "chi" or the East Indian concept of "chakras"?

About sex, I just have to take the opportunity to make one quick comment about Catholic beliefs on the subject because they are so often misunderstood and misquoted. Catholics also believe that sex is a gift (from God) and it can be beautiful and holy and absolutely FANTASTIC. However, we also say that this gift, like all gifts, can be mis-used and abused. (Kinda like matches. They can be used to create a fire for warmth or cooking but they can also be used for arson and to injure people.) Unfortunately, the popular press focuses solely on the teachings about avoiding abuse of sex and draws the erroneous conclusion that Catholics believe that sex is bad. Sigh.

Years ago, I read one book by Marion Zimmer-Bradley, can't remember which. I didn't enjoy the writing style, even though I am a fan of fantasy fiction. So, I've been avoiding the author. But, on your recommendation, I'll give Mists of Avalon a try. Maybe I will enjoy it now.

Anyhow, thanks again for your response.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 22
view profile
History
What do you believe?
Posted: 2/14/2005 8:51:27 AM
Missy, don't beleive the hype in here, MOST who call themselves "pagans" or "wiccans" are misguided and truly, would like to know (just as you would like to know). So they read books, and try things in the books and force themselves to believe that it worked - while if they only knew of the origin of the book's knowledge, and how distorted and dangerous it was intended to be, they'd probably cry in reguards to the misfornes in their lives- Laughs!.

Others are born in it, and are taught from birth, the true undeluted old ways which most "wiccans" and "pagans" and "goths" truly desire, and yet know so little about. So once again, if they give you a title, don't beleive the hype... I tried to post (twice) on your questions, but it didn't work.... so i'll try later.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 23
view profile
History
What do you believe?
Posted: 2/14/2005 9:49:17 PM
Loci, I think he meant you can't argue the Bible with him, soulll. He's obviously closed his mind to any other option - even though I guarantee you, he's had no proof for his faith, and his obediance is not rewarded by the miracles the priest say Jesus promised.

Soulll answer me this,

If your savior showed himself to you, would you recognise him? How?
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 26
view profile
History
What do you believe?
Posted: 2/15/2005 2:32:28 AM
I'll try my best, but closed minded people get to me... espcially when it's a christian who thinks his Savior looked like him....when in fact he looked closer to Usama!!!!

dC:(
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 28
view profile
History
American Indian Ways and lumping tribes together with Shamans
Posted: 2/15/2005 10:09:41 PM
Well said Ocean. Did someone actually say "a Shaman in American Indian ways" - LOL
I must have missed it... Somepeople have so little of a clue.
 Gabrielle3339
Msg: 29
Wiccans and Pagans! Give Me That Old Time Religion!
Posted: 2/15/2005 11:26:55 PM
I agree with you, MST Jedi. There are so few Pagans out there today because most of are afraid of coming out and saying , "Hey I'm Pagan." and then be ridiculed for it. It's refreshing to see this thread and see.."Pagans in Texas". LOL
Do you have any idea how hard is to try and figure out who's Pagan or Pagan friendly when you look through the profiles on here? hehehe this is great.

RDtoo
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2005 7:51:10 PM
Mr. Kamway, you did indeed baffle the Christians here. As you had no prior post, nobody knows what you are referring to. As for your exclamation of who you "are", I have heard the same thing declared by patients in the mental health ward of hospitals that I have worked at.
 tall.cold.1
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/5/2008 7:57:29 PM
I'm on a Neopagan Druid path myself. I did walk the solitary Wicca path for a decade. Last year I met members of a Gardnerian Wiccan coven and sometimes I circle with them, but for the most part I'm on a Druidic path. Not to be different, but because it fits my path a little bit better.

About Native Americans and white Americans following a 'shamanic' path, there are a lot of the former who frown on the latter's appropriation of their religious culture, especially if the latter are 'armchair/book shamans'. I think Native Americans would be much more approving if we studied the ways of our ancestors and learned their lore instead of 'stealing' the ways and the lore of Native Americans. That way, we could meet by the fire and share our respective ways and lore and do some drumming afterwards.

There are some OBOD Druids in New Zealand who have attracted the attention and approval of the indigenous Maori population. That's what it's about, finding commonality in our respective ways and lore.
 Ordieth
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/7/2008 8:55:16 AM
I sometimes wonder about Coyote....the trickster in Indian lore. Wonder where the basis is for that one.....sounds cool though!

the trickster is represented in almost all pagan pantheons
Pan
Loki
Puck
Coyote
Faunus
so in the end i believe they are all one and the same
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 8:55:40 AM
I've never met a Native who called themselves a Shaman.. I am friends with a Medicine Man, Blackfoot.. and good friends with a Dreamwalker.

I have met some New Age folk who call themselves Shamans... but I don't know how much of that is affectation.

I'm just a witch, following the path of the Great Mother.

Namasté all!

Ravenstar
 tall.cold.1
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/11/2008 3:35:06 AM
No, not all forms of Paganism are alike. I'm on a Druidic path in ADF, the organization Isaac Bonewits founded 25 years ago. In a lot of ways it's more similar to Asatru and other forms of Heathenism. Scholarship is quite important in ADF. We have 9 virtues. We're required to study an Indo-European culture and language. We don't cast circles. I feel more at home in ADF than in Wicca because the former is much closer to how I came to Paganism in the first place.

Yes, there are initiated British Traditional Wiccans (Gardnerians, Alexandrians) who deplore eclectic modern forms of Wicca. In ADF books by DJ Conway ("Celtic Magic", "Norse Magic", etc.) are not recommended because her scholarship is shoddy at best. Same with Ed Fitch and "Rites of Odin"; also, Douglas Monroe and "The 21 Lessons of Merlin", which Isaac Bonewits refers to as "The 21 Lessons of Hogwash". I read Sirona Knight's "Exploring Celtic Druidism" and the practice outlined in that book is more Wiccan than Druidic. Take a look at authors writing books on non-Wiccan forms of Paganism. Are they primarily a Wiccan author? Is the publisher Llewellyn? If the answer is yes to both questions, then the book should be avoided for the most part.

I don't have anything against anybody who wishes to practice an eclectic form of Wicca. The danger comes when those practitioners claim their tradition has been around for thousands of years and make other fallacious historical claims. One Llewellyn author even claimed that the word "Wicca" was Latin in origin. Any linguist worth their salt would know it's Anglo-Saxon. The letter "w" wasn't part of the Latin alphabet; it's not part of the Irish Gaelic alphabet, even though "w" abounds in the Welsh language. There are elements in Wicca which do have roots in pre-Christian Europe, but no, circle casting, calling the watchtowers, etc. aren't among them. Greece and Rome had mystery religions. Romans offered cakes and wine to their gods; sometimes they even offered up animal sacrifices, a famous example being the suovetaurilia. According to Miranda Green's "The World of the Druids", ancient Celts used to use cords in ritual.

As for Heathenism not being Earth- or Goddess-based, it's not as much as Wicca. However, Tacitus in "Germania" did indicate the ancient Germans had an Earth Goddess known as Nerthus. And Freyja was an important goddess for the Norse. Her female Valkyries were the ones who took slain warriors to Valhalla. So to say that Heathenism doesn't revere the feminine would be absurd. On the other hand, even though there are a lot of women in both Heathenism and ADF Druidry, we don't hand over all the power to any one female authority figure either.
 Enigma252
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/11/2008 7:16:35 AM
Samhein, I think that higher forces chose some of us either by blood line or past life time efforts. People who are naturals have their own spirit guides that they were born with. I really doesn't matter what "label" of religion you want to put on it. It's about "are you doing 'The Work'".
 JMars
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/16/2008 1:34:03 PM

Wiccan is just one form of Paganism.... and I think that is what Samhein was trying to point out.

Actually, speaking as someone that has had a fair amount of contact with Theodish folk in the past, I'm pretty sure that what Samhein was trying to point out is that there are poignant differences in the various belief sets commonly refered to as "pagan"... differences as great as those found between the various cultures and languages of man.

Even as an umbrella term "pagan" is not equivalent to "Christian" or even "Abrahamic", with various denominations all stemming from a common set of scriptures, beliefs, practices, and prophets.
 Soul2Lunch
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/1/2008 6:27:04 PM
Whoa I'm glad I ran across finally a good group of folks... must talk when I get a chancetonight....
 Tisha Mc
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/4/2008 1:53:57 AM
I'm neither Wiccan nor Pagan, but I'm curious. Would anybody be willing to message me and explain what exactly the beliefs are for these groups.
 trimostai
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/25/2010 4:48:21 PM
I have never felt more comfortable in any other religion other than in Paganism/Wiccanism. The thing, now is finding someone on here that is just like me... or rather closer in personality. I have gotten so many messages from Baptists, Christians, Catholics, etc. Not that I have any problem with them but I really don't see a relationship beyond friendship forming there.
 WereJaguar
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/25/2010 10:52:17 AM
I wish that I could get my hands on a copy of "Aradia" by Charles Godfrey Leland. It sounds like a cool book. Aradia influenced Gerald Gardner and Doreen Valiente but then again Aleister Crowley influenced them too.
 Dazzling Girl
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2010 9:51:18 PM
Wow--nice to see so many on here!

Pagan myself, interested in Wicca, can't seem to focus on it long enough...*grin*

I find tools useful for certain things, but honestly, the time I most feel connected to the goddess is when I take my evening 3-mile walk and feel the wind on my face. Simple things, I suppose.
 JnJon
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/28/2011 10:39:34 AM

Wow--nice to see so many on here!

Pagan myself, interested in Wicca, can't seem to focus on it long enough...*grin*

I find tools useful for certain things, but honestly, the time I most feel connected to the goddess is when I take my evening 3-mile walk and feel the wind on my face. Simple things, I suppose.

there is no need to try and rush at practicing your craft.
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/9/2011 12:38:04 PM
Whilst I am a die hard athiest, I do heavily appreciate and support your efforts. I hope more of you come forward and help erode the idea that the abrahamic religions are all there is.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2011 12:04:57 PM
Bumping this to draw out the pagans... again You have to be here somewhere

Although I'm very comfortable with solitude, and I do have a pagan friend or two in my area, community is the hardest thing about being pagan. We are just so spread out... and some of us still in the broom closet.

Forget dating lol finding pagan men is like trying to win the lottery

just joking.. sort of

Namasté
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/27/2011 9:46:15 PM
Is soilidly out of the broom closet, here!
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 8:11:35 AM
awesome!

It's a tough step.. was for me anyway

:)
 LennyPane
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2012 9:12:53 PM
PakanaHerruus: do you listen to burzum?
 Cotillion89
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/4/2012 1:42:54 AM
I am fairly new to wicca , i read a boo by scott cunningham and it helped me realize that most of the beliefs i stumbled upon by myself where pagan, i would love to learn more but so many sites are fwrong can anyone point me in the right direction to further my learning
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Wiccans and Pagans! Give Me That Old Time Religion!