Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 readyornot57
Msg: 10
view profile
History
stuffed animalsPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
another bad gift....those six foot tall Valentine's Day cards......You could wallpaper a room with one.
A guy could buy a regular teddy bear, dress it up himself, have enough left to take you to dinner (no dishes!)
Last valentine's day, I gave my early stage girlfriend a massage at a spa in town, we saw a film together, some flowers and stopped for subs to eat at the beach in the evening.
I was dumped three weeks later.....guess she wanted the bear!
 Redlance71
Msg: 20
view profile
History
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/11/2009 8:05:44 PM
I HATE that commercial! IT's degrading to women, the things they say, the squeeky voices they make....makes my blood boil grrr...
On the bright side they look like wonderful gifts and, for about the price of a dozen roses, you can give that special someone a genuine, hand made vermont teddy bear. You can even customize it with her name.....grrr damn commercial stuck in my head!

Off topic but this reminds me of a joke I heard. Guy goes on a date with a woman, goes back to her place and as they are undressing he notices her room is filled with stuffed animals along the wall. Shelves upon shelves of them. They have sex. Afterwards he asks her, "Well, how was I?" and she replies, "Take any bear from the bottm row". ***ducks
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 22
view profile
History
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/11/2009 8:50:03 PM
Wow, let's hope the OP never has a guy really go over the top and show up at her door dressed like a bear; she's liable to try to unstuff him. Oh, the bearmanity!

Seriously I won't argue that a guy who gives most grown women a stuffed animal is probably fresh out of ideas. But then there are some women who would enjoy it. The point however, is that they should all, at the very least, appreciate the thought and effort of receiving a gift. Of course the bear is a corny gift, but its a corny holiday, one made up to sell bears, cards, chocolates, flowers etc. I agree with those that say you show someone you love them everyday, not just on certain days of the year. But you have to understand, we're guys, and sometimes some of us are clueless when it comes to these sorts of situations where we feel pressured to do something, anything, whatever it takes to try to make her happy!

It really is the thought that counts. One Valentine's Day years ago I took my girlfriend out to dinner and then took her back to my place. I had set up my son's planetarium in the living room to project the stars on the ceiling. I had her wait in the hall while I turned it on and put some Coltrane on the stereo, then brought her in and danced with her under the stars. We laughed long and hard about what a cheesy, goofy cornball thing it was to do, but we both thoroughly enjoyed it too, and that was the whole point.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 27
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/12/2009 1:43:08 AM
~OP~ We all have our own reasons why we like or dislike certain things ~ I don't see a need to be "irked" at a gift, not matter what it is. I've seen those bears, I think they're adorable and it takes forethought to make certain said bear arrives on time and which bear sends the appropriate message. A dozen roses? (to me that has no imagination involved whatsoever.) I personally received a 5' teddy a few years ago. He came with his own "information" (Nigel is his name ~ it was in the info packet.) He was given to me because someone loved me. He's currently on his way to me from somewhere else. He's traveled a LOT ~ I don' t care who doesn't understand a grown woman being attached to something other's deem "silly" ~ the meaning behind Nigel is far more important to me that what someone else thinks. JMO
 SportyLady59
Msg: 30
view profile
History
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/12/2009 6:30:51 PM
I hope my boyfriend doesn't give me one of those bears. I really don't like them. I'd appreciate the thought, but I'm afraid the look on my face would betray disappointment.

But maybe he'll be disappointed in what I got for him - a chocolate fish in box that say's "You're a keeper". I'd rather get a chocolate fish than a V Teddy Bear.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 33
view profile
History
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/13/2009 3:29:42 AM

Guys, why do you give stuff like this? Are you just out of ideas, pressed for time, or do you genuinely believe this is what women want?
I've often heard that often people give a gift that is something which THEY themselves would really like to have!!! GUYS???? any feedback on this? LOL!

I'm with you Kristin.....1 foot massage is worth a whole greenhouse full of flowers! Put lotion on the parts of my back that I can't reach is worth more diamond earrings; and offer to JOIN me in a hot bubble bath is far better than a fancy dinner at an expensive restaurant...where clothes need to be worn!!! LOL!
 raxarsr
Msg: 39
view profile
History
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/14/2009 6:23:43 PM
i worked at a carnival that comes to our town every year.......worked game stands for several years to earn a lil extra money.....one of my favorite lines to use on older couples was..........."take her back to your dateing years.....win her a teddy bear!".......it didnt always work...............but it got huge smiles from all the ladies and about 3/4 of the men......... every year....a few men did play and win a stuffed animal.....you've never seen bigger smiles than on the faces of their wives.........or twinkle in their eyes come to think about it
 whytwater
Msg: 40
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/14/2009 6:31:07 PM

stuffed bears in costumes . . . .

An apt description for alot of men I know. Lol.
 daynadaze
Msg: 44
view profile
History
stuffed animals
Posted: 2/15/2009 11:21:10 PM
I think a man who is seriously dating you should know what you like to receive as a gift and for what occasions you expect such gifts. Just like women should know their men and what they like. No reason to date someone who treats you in a way that hurts your feelings or someone whom you resent. It doesn't matter what we, as outsiders, think, what matters is that you are happy in a relationship and treat each other well. What that amounts to will be different for each couple.

If a man wants electronics but you buy him aftershave that he could care less about, that's not a gift, that's you controlling things. If a woman loves flowers but you think she should be happy with a card, you aren't very interested in your woman's needs. There's nothing romantic about making someone feel bad on an occasion that they are looking forward to. So what, you don't think you should have to buy gifts and give flowers, then don't date people who want and need gifts or flowers as part of feeling loved and desired. If you don't want a man who likes to drink beer and watch football all weekend, then don't marry a man who likes to do that.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 45
stuffed animals
Posted: 5/28/2013 3:00:03 PM
^^^Agreed. I'm well past the age that I should have stuffed animals, but I've recently taken to collecting Woodstock items(the little yellow bird from the Peanuts gang) over the past couple of years.The last person I dated saw that I liked Woodstock, so he ended up giving me another stuffed animal Woodstock. It showed that he took the time to notice what I liked, and I appreciated that.
 NtvNtv
Msg: 46
stuffed animals
Posted: 5/29/2013 6:36:10 PM
( ^ ^)
I love gifts be it a stuffed animals, flowers, jewelry, cards, clothing, trip...and I love giving gifts : )
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 47
stuffed animals
Posted: 5/29/2013 7:08:40 PM
I wouldn't reject a stuffed teddy/animal from a significant other.

I still have my teddy bear since I was a mere child of 5/6.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 48
view profile
History
stuffed animals
Posted: 5/30/2013 3:12:58 AM

If I were involved with a man who had no more imagination than to order a me (a grown woman) a stuffed toy, I would be greatly offended. I mean, if you want to show me you love me, shovel the snow from my driveway, why dontcha? Or give me a lovely shoulder rub, run me a hot bath with bubbles, or offer to take care of some tedious chore that makes my day easier.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why are you stressing/being offended over other women getting bears?
You aren't.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >