Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Henrietta gets a free house      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 normaldude
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Henrietta gets a free housePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
This lady pleaded with the new prez at a town hall meeting and now has a new home. Amazing the compassion of people to respond to a situation. But if the lady has no income and is buried in financial trouble what good will this do in the long run?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29147608/
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Henrietta gets a free house
Posted: 2/12/2009 10:26:14 AM
It's a tiny victory that we can tally on the "plus" side. We just need about 350 million more such victories.
 oddandy
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/12/2009 9:02:38 PM
Who's going to pay for these victories?
 normaldude
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2009 6:28:44 AM
if you give someone a house but they cant pay the monthly bills have you accomplished anything? The old story about giving a person a fish or teaching them to fish. If we dont have financially stable people functioning in a real economy then we are just kidding ourselves. Being given a house is great but how do you pay the taxes, the heat, repairs, insurance.....
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2009 7:52:38 AM

She needed a warm place, not a car to live in,,with kids mind you

Kids? Her son is 37...

And, they live in Florida, right?

~ds~
 SAguy_06
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/13/2009 9:48:17 AM
Isnt intresting how we Humans have grouped together for protection, compansionship and assitance. How we all benift from the fruits of our labor, intellect and our genorousity and strenght. Yes some of us contributing more than others, but the group still thrives. and how this has taken place for Millennia.

One woman getting a free house isnt going to rip the fabric of our society apart.
~remember in one form or another, we all take our turn at the tit.
 chameleonf
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/13/2009 2:30:46 PM
Like "Extreme Makeover, Home Edition" - it's all well and fine to give a person a home but if nothing else is done after that to maintain it and pay future bills, you can still soon be without a home. It's better to teach a man how to fish than to just give him a fish.
 cotter
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2009 2:53:37 PM

It's a tiny victory that we can tally on the "plus" side.
Who's going to pay for these victories?

A day after the president and the nation heard their plea, Henrietta and her son are no longer homeless.

State representative Nick Thompson and wife Chene offered the Hughes family their LaBelle home-free of charge for as long as they need it.
I get the impression that they are just "borrowing" it.

Without any kind of address, neither of them can even shower and clean up appropriately to go interview for a job. For crying out loud, you have to at least smell clean and look fairly presentable to even get a doggone job at Mickey D's or Burger King.

In the meantime, at least they have an address and can qualify for food stamps and Welfare. And before you b!tch me out about suggesting that ... if you don't want them on Welfare ... our own citizens ... then you'd better start b1tching about all the Somalians we have brought over here and put directly on Welfare ... food stamps ... subsidized housing.

In addition to all that ... the refugees qualify to receive numerous College Grants (that never have to be paid back) so they can better themselves.

Our own citizens don't get that. If you lose your job and want to retrain ... better break out your wallet because the Government is sure not gonna help you ... "Joe the Citizen" ... if you need it. Now they do pass out all kinds of money in many ways to the so-called "legal" non-citizens.
 chameleonf
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/18/2009 6:30:23 AM
I might be wrong but I think I read/heard of 2 or 3 of these house being repossessed after the families failed to make good on utilities and taxes as well.

Exactly my point when I made the "better to teach a man how to fish than to just give him a fish". How magnanimous (not) for a politician to single out one set of beggers when there are thousands of others in America who are even less able to provide for themselves. It's a huge political billboard that simply cost the use of an unused dwelling. It amazes me to what level politicians will stoop in order to raise their popularity ratings.
 el_jefe_tx
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/18/2009 10:31:27 AM
Idiocracy is coming people, get ready for it.
 chameleonf
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/18/2009 11:28:30 AM
I just read both articles and had to laugh. I misread at first and had to reread this section: "...people whom physicians commonly call the underserved, the working poor, the uninsured." I at first read the word "underserved" in a dyslexic sorta way as "undeserved". I do believe I had it right the first time. There are many people who are legitimately deserving of aid for various reasons. I'm sure the state of the economy would be in a much better position if there weren't as many (bloodsuckers) who make a living, living off of the public good (taxes and freebies provided). Wonder what sort of individual will receive this sort of "aid" in New Orleans when the Prez visits there next? Someone who just moved there from New York because they didn't like the cold? I can't fault the Prez on this, he didn't so much do the deed. It's the misinformed and opportunists jumping on the bandwagon who don't do their research first and then have to defend why their faces are red. Perhaps he needs to hire better background checkers if indeed these people were singled out to be able to attend.
 chameleonf
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/20/2009 7:26:21 AM
The whole selfless "volunteering to help" scenario would likely hold a little more water if it hadn't been the wife of a Florida Republican state representative who offered the Hugheses a $155,000 house rent-free for as long as they needed it. I'm not saying that because someone is in politics they can't be selfless, but if they truly are, does it take something that smacks of the possibility of receiving national headlines for them to perform a selfless act such as this? Wouldn't you think if they were that magnanimous they would have quietly found someone already to provide that very same shelter to?
 wisguyingb
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/20/2009 10:31:34 AM
We are NOT entitled to anything in this country but the OPPORTUNITY to make some thing of ourselves.

Should I feel sorry for a high school dropout who can't find work?

Heck NO!

I respect the guy/gal that made the effort, worked their way through college, climbed the mountain and got to the top.

I have no pity for those that do not try.

Her son is 37 years old huh? Last time I checked old Uncle Sam was hiring in all branches of the military. He could be a MAN and provide his Mother with a roof over their head's while he collected a paycheck. That would also give her time to prepare and seek out a job.

My Mom will always have a roof over her head while I'm alive. No way in he** I'm stuffing her in a old car. Pretty darn pathetic example of a son if you ask me. He's more of a 37 year old boy from the sounds of it.

Oh Boo Hoo hard work... Whaa Whaa...

At times we all have to suck it up and do what it takes to make a living.
 Got Trance
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/25/2009 9:39:45 AM
Gawd! I am sick of these people crying that they need someone to give them a place to stay and pay their damn bills.
Whatever happened to personal responsibility?????
GET A ****ING JOB YOU LOSERS!
 wisguyingb
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/25/2009 10:06:23 AM
Message #41 highlights the fact that Henrietta may lose the current home that she has been living in temporarily.

So does this mean that President Obama will fly to Florida and make good on his Promise to "take care of her"?

Nobody has said it better then Thomas Jefferson (below)

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not".

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/23/obama.homeless/index.html?eref=rss_topstories (seems to work best on yahoo)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Henrietta gets a free house