Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abelian
Msg: 327
What is wrong with men?Page 5 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)

Here's a newsflash and I mean absolutely no disrespect to the OP, the poster from whom I quote, and men reading this; If given their 'druthers' I don't think I know a man alive who would take a piece of a woman's mind over a piece of her...never mind.

What does intelligence have to do with age? There seems to be a general misconception that being young means not being able to think. I'd argue the opposite. People generally think less and less as they get older and are less idealistic. I personally prefer the idealism and curiosity that seems to disappear as most people reach their 30's and 40's.
 ladyc4
Msg: 328
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/25/2009 2:26:44 PM

What does intelligence have to do with age?

The comment you quote was meant to be a humorous observation.

People generally think less and less as they get older and are less idealistic.

and you KNOW this because...? Have you studies, statistics,etc that indicate people think less as they get older? Sometimes,unfortunate as it may be, they have things to think about that trump idealism and curiousity. And in their real world real life, other thinking has to take priority over idealism and curiousity. I don't mean that people sell those things out, they just put them a bit off to one side for the time being. I know TONS of people in their 50s and up who go back to school(usually specialized training), change careers, become entreprenuers, take up new hobbies or avocations. I think people in their 30s and 40s are focused on their careers, their families,raising kids to be decent human beings, developing financial momentum so they don't end up in their retirement years living in poverty. I suspect people in their 30s and 40s think a LOT about more urgent priorities than idealism and curiousity.
Cindy O
 parklabrea
Msg: 345
view profile
History
Wow...
Posted: 2/25/2009 11:04:52 PM
I LIKE this thread. It's a chance for women and men of all ages to get together and discuss an issue of little importance, posted by a girl who probably meant it as a joke. Don't believe me? Read the first few pages of this thread. Most of the discussion was about her, not the issue. She did not come across as an innocent young lady who was offended. Even after she changed her filters, people kept telling her to do so. People still do sometimes, lo these many months later. People don't read more than the first few replies to a thread, apparently, and then they jump to the 13th or 14th page to write their pov.

So, we have 35 yr. old mothers getting hysterical because 20 yr. old guys say it's okay for 40 yr. old men to write to 25 yr. old girls. People, people. Whaz up with all this? Do you all want to be sent to bed without your supper?

Well, I'm out of here. Have fun while I'm gone. I'm going to e-mail a woman....and, no, I won't tell you how old she is!
 abelian
Msg: 346
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/26/2009 12:41:11 AM
Sometimes,unfortunate as it may be, they have things to think about that trump idealism and curiousity. And in their real world real life, other thinking has to take priority over idealism and curiousity.

Thank you for making my point so well. I could not have expressed the reason I tend to avoid women my age better than you did. I may have to grow old, but I don't have to grow up. By the way, I'm a scientist, so curiosity is my career. If YOU want to think like a curmudgeon, that is your prerogative. When women my age stop thinking like retirees in a nursing home, I'll think about dating women my age.

cw35
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Wow...
Posted: 2/26/2009 4:06:00 AM
Parklabrea: Hilarious post and very true. People always go crazy long after the issue is dead and gone in here. Women being so "outraged" at men looking at younger women boils down to one very simple truth. They are jealous and insecure because they're older and are not comfortable with it. Just take a look at a lot of older women's profiles. They constantly have to remind everyone in here how "young" they look or act. Unfortunately most of the time (not all) the photos posted DO NOT reflect this. I think it must be denial or something. The most attractive older women are the ones with intelligence who accept aging for what it is, and have the confidence in themselves to do it gracefully without acting like they have something to prove. Luckily there are lots of those profiles on here as well.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 355
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/26/2009 8:59:42 AM

I know for myself, I too enjoy many things such as that. I still like to go out to clubs now and then, I like live music, I go out with my friends to events, I like staying up until the wee hours of the morning sometimes, my 16 year old nephew thinks I'm cool. I want to keep doing the things I do now and am not interested in a man who wants to stay home all the time (I don't want someone who goes out all the time either though LOL), but I've found alot of men in their 40's not really wanting to go dancing or to see live music or even try new music (they complain it's loud or crowded). I'm into seeing almost any new live music (except country) and sitting around having fun with friends who are jamming.

I agree with this. At 40, I still go out weekends with friends to bars/clubs dancing, I'm extremely active, and do most of the things I did in my 20s. I agree that I tend to run into a lot of men over 35 who don't really want to go anywhere or do much of anything. If that's what I have to do to be involved, then I'll skip it and stay single. No thanks!
 chameleonf
Msg: 361
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/26/2009 9:47:02 AM
OMFG...gotta love the way some things get so twisted out of shape in some of these threads and it just makes a person not be able to help themselves responding to some of the lengths some people will stoop to in order to grasp at any straw to make their point seem valid.

The whole thread stemmed from contact on the internet by older men to younger women when the younger woman (OP) knows full well she can change her contact criteria and has done so, albeit by two whole years just to justify her point in hindsight.

Then it gets worse by taking it off topic to what happens offline and making comparisons of older men looking at younger women in malls and equating it to the next (il)logical step being of accepting/excusing rape...give me a fricking break!

Pray tell, how do you know, OP, how anyone is looking at your pictures online? This is about older guys contacting you. Given your scenarios and age preferences and logic, one would think it's alright for the younger guys to oggle you and want to rape you but the older guys are off limits. As far as people viewing your pictures, you get what you get a lot of times based on what you project, whether it's from older men or ones your own age or even younger. You may or may not be attractive to any given individual. I'll refrain from further insulting you by telling you what I think of them beyond what I've said in the past about them being posed and contrived to deliberately elicit a certain response by the viewer and that you attempt to change them according to public opinion to further your stance.

Now, going off topic again and talking about girls hiding in a vehicle because they are "so afraid", something is clearly wrong here, whether they are 15 or 20. Bear in mind I've been both ages and I by no means looked like a double bagger at either of those ages. I also have a good looking daughter who is now 25, so I know precisely what is encountered out there in the world from a personal standpoint and from watching and hearing what happens and has happened with my own daughter. So to say that a girl has to hide in a vehicle when the purpose of an outing is to go shopping tells a lot about either the girl's emotional abilities or what a parent, and particularly a mother, is teaching their daughter how to handle situations. This whole side of the off topic also warrants one huge "give me a fricking break". Try something else to back up your opinions that is more realistic.
 compleat_man
Msg: 372
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/26/2009 11:04:18 AM
MissSynne, you ain't all that hot..as you seem to think.. I have the feeling you wanted some attention here, drawing attention to what you think are Vogue cover-girl or Hollywood starlet type stunning beauty..

you're cute. but not 'stunningly beautiful, IMO

so chill?

@Faith6186:

Ahem, if you read my post entirely, you would have seen that I did say "there are exceptions"

FYI, my daughter dates and hangs out with people her own age. She too feels that dating men old enough to be her Dad is...undesireable...to put it mildly. As do her friends.

If you are open to dating older men...that's your choice.

good for you for realizing that, it is a choice, a FEW 'younger girls' might find it acceptable to date old farts'.

most 24 tear old 'young women' (near babies/fetuses in your view) are quite capable of making this decision on their own, and letting old farts know they are not interested.

I doubt that these 'tiny young girls' need YOUR 'protection' so badly; they likely view you as an old lady who knows nothing about dating these days, anyway..?

chill, girl..chill
 todelicous
Msg: 373
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/26/2009 11:10:37 AM
dont be negative you pretty litte mutha ****a heres a better question 'whats right with men" dont be so hung up on yourself that yer mind remains stuck ........ maybe just an older dude as a friend a confidant because check this out cutie with age comes wisdom
 compleat_man
Msg: 378
No...
Posted: 2/26/2009 11:29:13 AM
^^

unless the 40-something was a multi-millionaire, famous actor or sports figure, etc..then they somehow can seem to be more flexible?

e.g. Anna Nicole Smith, 20-something, when she was with her octogenarian hubby?

actually I know many 20-something women who say that they find the 47-year old George Clooney attractive..

and many younger women who are attracted to much older Hollywood types e.g. Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson, etc, etc

I suppose that is often helped because they are well-known, and usually have a fair bit of money as well; but a lot of it is because of their confidence

Vvvvvvvvv

I guess I don't see anything wrong with the OP's pictures.....

I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with the OP's photos; it's just that they do not seem the type of photos one would associate with a shy, retiring wall-flower too shy or unable to defend her 'honor' and 'feminine purity' from a few older guys..

they are cute pics, slightly on the risque or 'pouty, sexy' look side

Vvvvvvvv
 chameleonf
Msg: 380
No...
Posted: 2/26/2009 11:37:20 AM
Can't begin to tell ya'll the number of times my daughter (25) has commented on (not just at her present age) how attractive she finds certain older men for various reasons, aside from the physical. She'll usually qualify it, however, with "now if they were just 20 years younger...". She happens to be on this site, has listed her age preferences and doesn't get anyone contacting her outside of those preferences (I believe her limited preference is 33 or 35). However, if she did, and they were lewd, crude, rude and obnoxious, she certainly wouldn't need my help to come to her rescue or to give them a piece of my mind and she wouldn't have at 15 either. Wonder of wonders, I don't feel compelled to because she has the strength of character to defend/fend for herself, no matter if I think a guy is acting like a pig or not. Of those in her own selected age preference who have been lewd, crude, rude and obnoxious (without even the benefit of her having a picture posted - so it's not all about your looks), she's given them a few appropriate responses that have had both of us laughing. The difference between my daughter and the OP is that she is neither a whiner, an attention seeker or a femme fatale. I know what she'd have to say about the OP and her pictures because she has access to this thread and the OP's profile...but I won't repeat it here. Suffice to say she'd chew you up and spit you out with her intelligent (although likely caustic) responses.
 god_of_rock
Msg: 386
NOTHING is "wrong" with men looking at women..
Posted: 2/26/2009 12:03:21 PM

I also know that there are exceptions to this and that there are some very attractive and fit middle-aged men and women. Those are few and far between. But let's be honest here. It's the old wrinkly, bald one's with the fat gut or boobs down to their knees that I'm talking about. Are you all telling me these people are not in denial when they pursue someone who's 20-30 yrs younget than them? Or when they whistle or wink and make a pass at them...I mean...do they really believe they'll get a positive reaction?

still I have a difficult time seeing what's got you sooooooooooooooooooooo UPSET!!

does it bother that much if someone pursues someone they are not 'suited for'?

is the sweet young thang incapable of telling them to F off? usually that would end the pursuit quite fast I think

if you are talking about anything that is criminal behavior I that think the police should be involved, not you, 'savior of young woman hood'?

what about all the teenage and 20-something men who have 'big fat guts or boobs down to their knees'?

there is no shortage of males that I see around 16-21 years old that are in disgustingly bad physical shape with huge fat guts hanging down, etc. or females in that age range with big fat guts and huge fat azzes, for that matter.

are they equally repulsive to your thinking?

is it more the lack of attractiveness than age alone, or per se that bothers you?

that someone who is physically 'ugly' would have the sheer audacity to think that he could even speak to, or approach, a pretty girl?

hahaha LMAO, and so many women constantly repeat the refrain that men are the 'shallow' ones...
 chameleonf
Msg: 392
No...
Posted: 2/26/2009 12:25:18 PM
Bob....the guys my daughter has referred to haven't all been in their mid forties -many have been much older. And it's not about if she would date them, we're talking about finding them attractive both physically and intellectually or one or the other. She's smart enough to know that they wouldn't be datable because other things of commonality would be lacking. If she found you attractive at 59 and with a great personality, she wouldn't put you in the class of all men who are past 40 being a pig for looking in her direction, strictly by virtue of your age, as the OP has - she understands the way men work. Lord knows she experiences enough of the pig factor within her own select age preference. I agree with the "to each his own" statement, however, what I disagree with is the derogatory manner in which some people figure their sh!t doesn't stink, strictly because of their age. With that type of attitude, it won't matter what age they are, it's their personality that will continue to stink if their brain doesn't mature along with them.

P.S. A.S.is - if you were closer, I'd drag you out for some oggling!
 god_of_rock
Msg: 394
NOTHING is wrong with men looking at women..
Posted: 2/26/2009 12:29:01 PM
from fath6186:

Example: If I go to a club and see a young sexy young man exposing his muscles with a short sleeve shirt or tight jeans showing off his cute butt...I have enough common sense and maturity to KNOW that he's not there to attract me, a 47 year old mother of someone that's in his age-range that he would obviously be more attracted to. My mindset would be, "Oh, I think my daughter would think he's cute." It wouldn't be, "Wow, would love to get him into bed". See my point?

ah, so NOW we get some of the truth..you make a habit of hanging out at "clubs" that obviously are intended for 20-somethings, so you can check out and appreciate the tight young butts on younger men.

don't try to deny it, now!

you dirty old woman ! you should be ASHAMED of yourself!

Vvvvvvvvv

aww, you ladies are soo sweet..with the compliments - should I forward backstage passes for my next show ;) j/k.

hmmmmm..I guess the OP achieved her goal...lots o f attention..this thread has dragged on for over 17 nonsensical pages, achieving little..

Vvvvvvv
 Jumbie564
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2009 12:47:05 PM
To the OP, it may or may not interest you to know that my last two girlfriends were 22 and 18 years younger than me. Both are college educated, quite intelligent, and in my opinion, very stunning. I met one at a wedding and the other at a business conference. One relationship lasted 2 years (we still keep in touch) and the other one lasted 1.5 years. And in case you're wondering, both came from families with money and they had no need for mine.

But to your point, I doubt seriously either one of these women would have ever responded if I had written an email without first ever having met. As such, I would never attempt to initiate contact with someone like yourself.

But do know that there are couples whose ages vary considerably and they are quite happy. Not common I grant you, but they exist.

Oh, I have no children so the feeling of dating someone who could be my daughter is a foreign one to me.
 chameleonf
Msg: 399
Posted: 2/26/2009 12:48:49 PM
Knows my daughter would find god_of_rock attractive and I'd certianly and secretly oggle him if she was dating him...just wouldn't pursue him...zips off for another oggle or three.....

Bob....don't think I can post another here so soon so look up here!!!....nope...I wasn't referring to you at all re the stinky stuff....was referring to the OP
 god_of_rock
Msg: 410
Posted: 2/26/2009 1:12:55 PM

Seems like the 40+ women are doing to god_of_rock what these 40+ men are doing to the OP

aww, I don't mind the attention..these ladies are sweet :)

if I did mind, I guess I could choose more a more 'discreet' photo?

hmmmmm..I guess the OP achieved her goal.. PLENTY of attention..this thread has dragged on for over 17 nonsensical pages, achieving little..
 chameleonf
Msg: 421
god_of_rock Central (gotta love a good hi-jack)
Posted: 2/26/2009 1:34:57 PM

hmmmmm..I guess the OP achieved her goal.. PLENTY of attention..this thread has dragged on for over 17 nonsensical pages, achieving little..

OP?...what OP??
 Amma63
Msg: 427
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/26/2009 1:54:31 PM
Faith6186

to quote another poster:

[ quote ] whatever you are quoting here [ /quote ]

Take out the spaces between the brackets.

hope this helps,
B.
 compleat_man
Msg: 430
Posted: 2/26/2009 1:59:50 PM
hahah A.S. is:

pooor little misssynne will HATE that..the attention being taken off her for a minute?

the spotlight not on her, her, HER ?

she should be back any moment to bring the focus back to its rightful owner..HER! ?

or..time for her to start a NEW thread whining about how people hijack her threads..

or, about how 'everyone' (well at least 'old men' and 'old bitter women' hate her so much..)

oh no I forgot, all old men lust after her endlessly..dream about her..it's only jealous bitter old women who hate her..well except for her new buddy (Faith6186) who's looking out for her..
 chameleonf
Msg: 431
What is wrong with men?
Posted: 2/26/2009 2:02:27 PM
In this particular instance, OP stands for Obnoxious Pissant....be gone with you...we've hijacked you...get over it.

P.S. You're getting older OP - you obviously need glasses now in your old age - wasn't me questioning what OP stands for. Sorry, OP, we aren't laughing with you, we're laughing at you *snickers*
 ladyc4
Msg: 438
God_of_Lust
Posted: 2/26/2009 3:14:05 PM
What the hell went on here after I left last night...
fights
People calling each other old bags and old farts...BTW "old bag" and "old fart" are states of mind, not necessarily defined by actual chronological age.

Oh God_of_Lust...can worshippers of the pagan god of Guinness join forces...oops wrong thread

WTH!!? There was Lust here, AND Guinness? Why wasn't I informed? Story of my life...day late and a dollar short. If it were to rain soup, my bowl would be upside down.

At any rate, if the OP or any other person is deeply insulted/offended by getting an email from somebody significantly older or younger.

Use your filters. Just say no. ( adding the 2 words "thank you" is a nice touch)

And another thing that leaped out at me; young women being lasciviously stared at(or any woman for that matter), what my sisters and I found as teenagers/young women, to be an effective strategy; STARE BACK. My younger sis had this mouth dropping open, head whipping around GAWP that had everyone BUT the perpetrator of the offensive stare laughing their asses off.

But to respond to what WAS the original title question " what is wrong with men?"
OP, you are on a free dating website. You will get contacted by men whom you are not remotely interested in, due to their age or whatever. That does not mean that there is a general state of "wrong" applying to all men.

I hear there is a matchmaking site where some internal matchmaking god or goddess decides whom gets to contact whom. Perhaps the OP needs to put her money where her mouth is and go where the site management decides who can contact her. But then again, I've heard that their core decision making processes there are a bigger mystery than the Colonels' 11 herbs and spices, who knows what sort of short list she might get?
Just a thought or 2 that crossed my mind as I read the latest pages of this thread.
Cindy O
 chameleonf
Msg: 439
God_of_Lust
Posted: 2/26/2009 3:27:37 PM
OMG!! Cindo O - let's not now bring "short" into this whole fiasco of a thread!!
 chameleonf
Msg: 441
God_of_Lust
Posted: 2/26/2009 3:37:32 PM
.....never mind short, I'm now trying to sort out the double positive negative there, irish....not doesn't not not....but it matters not.
 ladyc4
Msg: 443
God_of_Lust
Posted: 2/26/2009 3:49:23 PM

OMG!! Cindo O - let's not now bring "short" into this whole fiasco of a thread!!

It was a LIST I was referring to...not anatomical issues peculiar to males. Get your minds outa the gutter...come up on the curb with me.
But speaking generally to the OPs issue, and other common b*tches pitched by female members of PoF( the horndog emails, f'r instance) it's an inherent risk of online dating, that people you might not be interested in due some broad general preference( too old, too young, too short, too fat, too broke,whatever!) might email or message you. It goes with the territory...deal with it.
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >