Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > The latest stimulus 'deal' -- a deal or a steal?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fzrhusker
Msg: 324
Back to the StimulusPage 17 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Ace its its more the generalities of how the bill is written, and the verbiage of distribution of funds and my extreme paranoia about what is not being said in the overall picture and actions of this administration. Czars etc.

But I will bet my life that Acorn will be one of the biggest recipients.
 matchlight
Msg: 325
view profile
History
Back to the Stimulus
Posted: 8/27/2009 11:52:10 PM

Kind-of like the old NRA of the '30s.

I wonder if the statists of today would wince a little at the fascist overtones of the National Recovery Agency. Just to cite a couple, its symbol was a stern-looking Blue Eagle, clutching a bunch of gears in one talon (cooperation, power, industry!) and a cluster of lightning bolts (energy, creativity, vitality!) in the other. (Mussolini's symbol was a sheaf (or "fasci") of wheat.) And the Nazis, of course, also had the German eagle on banners, etc.

FDR named a man with connections in Hollywood to promote the NRA, and they made a musical. It had quite a few stars in it, and one number featured a line of Rockettes with little blue eagles stamped on their thighs. There's an overhead shot where the dancers all go through their moves, and like a card trick at a football game, suddenly form the image of a giant blue eagle. Say, that was a swell show!

They even had a 5th Avenue parade, where all the workers in New York got the day off and marched in different colored uniforms, each trade with its own color, marching in formation. Giant blue eagle banners were put up everywhere, and carried by the marchers. That's an awful lot like the parades the Nazis put on, although I'm not sure many people realized it. A few journalists did though, comparing Roosevelt to the two European dictators. And toward the end, they had grandstands put up so Eleanor Roosevelt could review all 100,000 of them, or whatever it was, and wave.

Of course, Mrs. Roosevelt had never said that the first time she'd ever felt proud of America in her adult life was when Franklin won his party's nomination. She loved this country. And even though she grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth, she was no snob.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 326
Back to the Stimulus
Posted: 8/28/2009 12:05:57 AM
For other uses, see Blue Eagle (disambiguation).
NRA Blue Eagle

The Blue Eagle, a blue-colored representation of the American "thunderbird," with outspread wings, was a symbol used in the United States by companies to show compliance with the National Industrial Recovery Act. It was proclaimed on July 20, 1933, as the symbol of industrial recovery by Hugh Samuel Johnson, the head of the National Recovery Administration.

The design was sketched by Johnson, and based on an idea utilized by the War Industries Board during World War I.

All companies that accepted President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Re-employment Agreement or a special Code of Fair Competition were permitted to display a poster showing the Blue Eagle together with the announcement, "NRA Member. We Do Our Part." Consumers were exhorted to buy products and services only from companies displaying the Blue Eagle banner. According to Johnson,

"When every American housewife understands that the Blue Eagle on everything that she permits into her home is a symbol of its restoration to security, may God have mercy on the man or group of men who attempt to trifle with this bird."

On September 5, 1935, following the invalidation of the compulsory code system, the emblem was abolished and its future use as a symbol was prohibited.

In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1933, DeBenneville "Bert" Bell formed a new National Football League franchise to replace the defunct Frankford Yellow Jackets, naming this team the Eagles in recognition of the NRA (a name the team retains to the present).

Jack it is on the Congressional web site. It is not the mandatory service for me, but where all this money is going to go.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1388/show

AceOfSpace
Msg: 327
Back to the Stimulus
Posted: 8/28/2009 7:20:15 AM
Yow! Looks like you caught me out, there JD. I thought the NRA was a public works program. I had no idea of its full complexion. I think that the Supremes of the day did right to pare it back.
 MermaidSari
Msg: 328
view profile
History
Back to the Stimulus
Posted: 11/21/2009 7:31:34 PM
The Chicago way (lol...just got a chuckle out of this Jack). :-p
 Gogetter56
Msg: 329
Back to the Stimulus
Posted: 11/21/2009 10:41:56 PM
Oh the Chicago way is right though and sorry to say, it's not really funny, but glad you got a laugh MS :-D
Show ALL Forums  > California  > The latest stimulus 'deal' -- a deal or a steal?