Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > GMO issue.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bedroll
Msg: 130
GMO issue.Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

a website started by a guy who owns some organic-food grocery stores and another guy who started a gardening club.. Soon I shall be accused of being a Rothschild.

It has nothing to do with the website owner air bag, but rather the interview with the scientists that is what is relevent.

I'm glad you don't direct traffic.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 131
GMO issue.
Posted: 9/25/2012 6:10:54 AM
All those ones who get their drawers in a wad about the 'evils' of genetically modified foodstocks have evidently never received the news of one very nice Mister Gregor Mendel and his experiments with plants and genes. He crossed peas of different varieties and observed the phenomena of dominance and segregation. His work became the foundation for modern genetics. Plants are now designed in laboratories to present desired characteristics (even Round-Up® resistance). Mendel's ideas on heredity and evolution did not agree with Darwin's belief in 'continuous evolution', tho'. Mendel's theory favored the 'constant characters' construct.

I have no problem with foods being improved so as to yield more from less, or to be more resistant to things such as rusts, rot, pesticides, salt water, etc. The claims of GMO foods 'rotting the stomach' or being avoided by animals have always - for reasons never known nor stated - lacked links to support data, and must therefore be regarded as either anecdotal BS or hearsay. If others refuse to eat GMO foods, I have only three words for them: More for me.
 bedroll
Msg: 132
GMO issue.
Posted: 9/26/2012 2:09:39 AM
Russia Suspends Use of Genetically Modified Corn

Posted by Leslie Fulbright 15pc on September 25, 2012 · Flag

WALL STREET JOURNAL, by Michael Haddon and Ian Berry, September 25, 2012

Russia's consumer-rights watchdog said Tuesday it has suspended the import and use of a genetically engineered corn made by Monsanto Co. following a study's findings that suggested the crop might cause cancer.
 bedroll
Msg: 133
GMO issue.
Posted: 9/26/2012 2:23:01 AM
‎'Historically, biotech companies have proved the safety of GM crops based on trials involving feeding rats for a period of 90 days. However, experts at the University of Caen conducted an experiment running for the full lives of rats - two years.

The findings, which were peer reviewed by independent experts before being published in a respected scientific journal, found raised levels of breast cancer, liver and kidney damage.

The same trials also found evidence that consumption of minuscule amounts of a commonly used weedkiller, Roundup, was associated with a raised risk of cancer. Both the GM corn, which carries the name NK603, and Roundup are the creation of US biotech company Monsanto.

The decision by the Russians to suspend authorisation for the American GM corn threatens to trigger a transatlantic commercial and diplomatic row.'
 bedroll
Msg: 134
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/3/2012 10:54:40 PM
Kings_Knight
If others refuse to eat GMO foods, I have only three words for them: More for me.

You are totally full of crap. Hope you eat nothing but the GMO cancer causing poison & end up full of cancerous tumors bigger than your head, just like these rats !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhtUhebzic
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 135
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/5/2012 7:41:59 PM

" ... You are totally full of crap. Hope you eat nothing but the GMO cancer causing poison & end up full of cancerous tumors bigger than your head, just like these rats !!! ... "

So: I may safely assume I can have your share, then ... ?
 Jiperly
Msg: 136
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/7/2012 8:20:44 AM
>>> It has been suggested that one of the reasons behind the rise in obesity is that people are having to eat more to get the same level of nutrition.

But your stomach doesn't WORK like that- when you eat, you feel satisfied- to your body, it doesn't matter if you're getting a balanced diet or not- you body wont tell you to keep eating if it isn't getting enough vitamin A- you get hungry when your stomach is emptying itself- so to suggest that people are still hungry because they are malnourished is completely contrary to how the human body works- specifically, the fact that a human can still stuff themselves even when they are killing themselves by not consuming the nutrients they need.

Hell, the simplest way to prove such an asinine assertion? Test the food for nutrient content. It'd be a simple thing to do....but you'd rather make baseless claims about the human body that simply doesn't make sense to our biology....

>>> another key problem 0f GMO is corporate control .... centralised corporate control .... mega corporations...under the thumb of those corporations.... GM corporations

And comments like that is exactly I don't take any of this GMO stuff seriously- because 8/10th of your concerns isn't about what the food is, but that it's being produced by corporations.

Its simply another way for you to enforce your political ideology onto others by fear-mongering about how safe food is. If the government was making these foods, you wouldn't have an issue with it- but since it was a corporation, then it's gotta be stopped.

It isn't about whats being made, but who is making it for you.
 DameWrite
Msg: 137
view profile
History
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/8/2012 1:45:53 AM
What seemed like a good idea and in some cases was, has been taken over by mad scientists and lobbyists and murderers who do not concern themselves with long term studies or the effects on people they do not value.
If people didn't start going back to growing their own food, this argument would not have been on the table. The lobbyists for GMO and the money that comes with it know that people are waking up to the truth about the dire effects of GMO's. Since they will not be able to prove these people wrong when the statistics start rolling in...they decide to "allow" this to come to a vote. ( the results are already "agreed upon").
They'll placate the masses with this "compromise" (as too not over burden the small farmer with nasty red tape or unaffordable costs, of course) and people will go back to trusting the food supply and they will stop growing their own and keep on being dependent to these greedos for their food.

They can always send their crap to the "third world countries" and get a write off for it anyhow, killing two birds with one GMO.

It's the effects of GMO that people are concerned about therefor want to know if what they are eating has been messed with.
Since it costs money to label....oh, just about all foods now , GMO, the lobbyists and greedos rather not do this but if they do "have" to do this, they at least want to control how it comes off to the consumer, at least until the long term effects take affect and people stop caring...because they are either brain dead or literally dead.

Having said all that, poison food should be banned and the ones who know this could be or is, and sell it anyway should be put in jail. Do not give them an out just by saying that they warned you with a stupid label! Have it BANNED!

If THEY do not PROFIT from GMO's then they will quit messing with our food supply.

Jiperly
Msg: 138
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/8/2012 7:06:13 AM
>>>That is why the likes of Monsanto are lobbying to have the labelling requirements relaxed so people won't know whether or not food they are buying contains GM ingredients.

And the reasoning behind it is simple- people are fearful, and for no good reason. There are people who spread fear, misinformation, and lies about the issue, just as the user did above, claiming your body is still hungry because it isn't getting the nutrients it needs, so obesity is the fault of GMO's.

It has nothing to do with safety concerns. It's like people who want to have farmed fish labeled- it's entirely because of a snooty assumption that it's better this way, and that they will lie to get it that way.

And what about the organic food lobbyists? You complain that corporations like Monsanto profit off lobbying- but so does the organic food industry, when they try to lobby against these corporations. Don't act as if your stance is noble and fighting the good fight- when it comes down to it, both sides of the issue is out for money.

Also, I noticed you are condemning Monsanto for not being upfront- but an user on this forum not a few days ago, clearly made some incorrect information about how our bodies works, in the hopes that they could push their agenda. But judging from that fact that you're condemning me for fighting for honesty, whilst ignoring their attempts at presenting misinformation to confuse the issue, I think you made your position pretty clear- you're on here to push an agenda, not fight for honesty or clarity on the issue.

>>>It isn't like music or movies - we are talking about staple foods that are essential to peoples' survival. These things should be controlled by the people, for the people - not Monsanto shareholders.

Again, this is a POLITICAL BELIEF. You are condemning a business for not sharing your political ideology.

Don't like it? Stick to organic. More cheap food for the rest of us.

---

>>>The lobbyists for GMO and the money that comes with it know that people are waking up to the truth about the dire effects of GMO's. Since they will not be able to prove these people wrong when the statistics start rolling in...

Of which you can offer no statistics, just assumptions and fear-mongering by sketchy and biased sources whose sole goal is to push a goal(and yet, you condemn lobbyists...)

>>> (as too not over burden the small farmer with nasty red tape

Excuse me? Who created that red-tape? Was it GMO manufacturers, or Luddites such as yourself?

>>> Do not give them an out just by saying that they warned you with a stupid label! Have it BANNED!

Who are you to judge what someone can or cannot eat? You can't even prove they are harmful. Billions of people are already eating them without any harm.

>>>If THEY do not PROFIT from GMO's then they will quit messing with our food supply.

Again, there's that forced political belief again. Are you to suggest that government run organizations have never failed, messed around, covered up what they did, or out and out lied?

But you are suggesting that corporations lie to us, but the government cannot?
 Aries_328
Msg: 139
view profile
History
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/8/2012 7:50:33 AM

It isn't about whats being made, but who is making it for you.

I have a bit of this issue myself and I love the idea of GMO food. It does really bother me that they legally bind farmers to buy their seeds every year and that no replanting from prior seeds is permitted. Why?

https://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/10/05-9

The company claims to hold the rights to genetically modified seeds, and says farmers must buy them every year rather than planting any of the previous year's harvest.

How is that good for the price of food, production, stability? There is something wrong with this particular corporation. I am for corporations but in no way does that mean that I trust them without question. I do believe a case should be made to strip the patents of this type after a few years for the company to recover its research. I'm not sure if their process is fully known to other scientists or if that is still confidential. I just assume that it is known and reviewed.

Although I strongly disagree with the idea that food production should be supplanted with government ownership on behalf of the people I do think that there should be specific restrictions on practices that consolidates the food industry into all controlling corporations. Would be a great place for some monopoly busters... but that would raise the cost of food. So... We have a vulnerability and no means of addressing it.

The great thing about a non nationalized economy is that when a company goes bad it can be dealt with. Another great thing is that if the public is unhappy with a company they can choose to not buy their products. Both of these cases were strategically maneuvered around by this company.

The food labeling schemes are BS and I will not vote for them. They will raise the costs of food and are basically stupidly thought out pseudo regulation that do not address what they claim.

So, yeah, I have a political issue with this company. They do some really f*d up stuff.

https://www.msu.edu/~howardp/
Not entirely sure how to relate the graph but seed providers are the food production issue. Not sure if there are breakdowns between the seed providers by food type. How many provide soy and corn seeds for example.

Oh... and I had no idea Pepsi was that large either. We have to stop letting companies get to big to fail. I think it is a vulnerability in capitalism that leads to nationalization of production. If a single company is allowed to become the controlling monopoly and it does bad it is already set up to be taken over by government and nationalized.
 Aries_328
Msg: 140
view profile
History
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/8/2012 7:43:12 PM
Sorry ^^^^^

No credibility at all to me for that group. They are activists for unregulated 'alternative' medicines. I don't give the post doctoral qualification any credibility.

They found flaws in risk assessment methodologies is nothing comparable to, 'we have replicated the results'.
 _babblefish
Msg: 141
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/11/2012 3:16:00 PM

" ... You are totally full of crap. Hope you eat nothing but the GMO cancer causing poison & end up full of cancerous tumors bigger than your head, just like these rats !!! ... "

So: I may safely assume I can have your share, then ... ?

and here i was gonna offer him a banana, mores for me too!
 onlydateIF
Msg: 142
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/13/2012 9:17:00 PM
*and now Bhutan is on board requiring organic foods and blocking GMO's * (Yaay!!!!)
 Skyr
Msg: 143
view profile
History
GMO issue.
Posted: 10/17/2012 5:36:19 AM
GMO is going to be a non-issue in a few years, it's going to be the standard by which agricultural products are developed.

Just to address some of the points by other posters:

Regarding biotech companies. If you don't like what Monsanto because they make lousy products? Don't buy them. Don't like Monsanto because of their corporate practices? That is not an issue with the technology, it is an issue with a company. It would be like condemning the internet because you don't like Facebook, or banning personal computers because Microsoft and IBM abused their market power, or having issue with smartphones because you don't like Apple or Samsung.

In terms of safety- with GM, you know exactly what proteins you are dealing with, because that is the whole point. When you develop organisms by traditional means- for instance using mutagenic techniques to produce new varieties, or selective breeding, you are dealing with hundreds of thousands of genes. How can non-GMO possibly be safer? If the inserted protein to be toxic, then it's toxic, and you know what it is. It may already have a history of consumption in the native organism, so you have a safety record. Not so with traditional breeding, when you have no idea which proteins you are dealing with.

Without the technology, several million people around the world would be dead in less than a month. You would be hard pushed to have any modern drug or vaccine that was not developed using GM technology, or produced with GM technology.

If you develop Type 1 Diabetes, you get recombinant insulin. Why aren't people against the idea of recombinant medicines? It is taken parenterally (ie directly into your systemic circulation), vs GM food crops, which are chomped up in your mouth, dissolved in hydrochloric acid in your stomach, and then chopped to bits by proteases from the pancreas. If it's possible to get large amounts of GM protein into your circulation, diabetics would swallow their insulin instead of stabbing themselves with a needle several times a day.

Likewise most vaccines are produced with recombinant organisms. If you had a heart attack, you get recombinant tPa to dissolve the clot in your coronary artery. If you have renal failure, and you get recombinant erythropoietin (what the cyclists don't steal) to boost your red blood cells.

It has been used in medicine for a couple of decades, and I have never seen a single person turn down medical treatment because of recombinant drugs. So why the big fuss over food crops?

The other issue regarding horizontal gene transfer- it happens all the time in nature. During your lifetime, you might be infected with any number of retroviruses, which is essentially viral DNA integrated into your genome. Much of our DNA is probably viral remnants, and it's may be one of the drivers of evolution. Artificial horizontal gene transfer makes up only a minute portion of horizontal gene transfer.
 satx78218
Msg: 144
view profile
History
GMO issue.
Posted: 4/28/2016 4:17:16 AM
GMO advocates LIE by hiding the entire reason for GMO is financial for x-icide trafficants. GMO has nothing to do with food, nutrition, ag productivty, and EVERYTHING to do with selling chemicals.

And you have no choice but to consume ag chemicals

Private Tests Show Cancer-Linked Herbicide in Breakfast Foods; FDA mum on Its Assessments

According to a report released Tuesday by the Alliance for Natural Health USA, testing procured from an independent laboratory found detectable levels of the herbicide glyphosate in oatmeal and bagels as well as coffee creamer and seven more products, for a total of 10 out of 24 breakfast food items showing levels of glyphosate - a chemical the World Health Organization’s cancer experts have linked to cancer.

Notably, some of the highest levels of the chemical were detected in organic food products, including eggs marketed as “organic, cage-free, antibiotic-free” eggs; and in organic bagels and bread. Indeed, the organic cage-free eggs contained more glyphosate than regulators allow, the group said. The group also tested flour, corn flakes, instant oatmeal, yogurt, frozen hash browns, and coffee creamers.

The ANH said the findings indicate that glyphosate is entering the food supply in a variety of ways, including being sprayed on crops like wheat to help accelerate the crop into harvest, and through livestock feed that accumulates in poultry and other animals. Corn and soybeans, chief ingredients in livestock feed, are genetically engineered to withstand being sprayed directly with glyphosate herbicides.

“The fact that it is showing up in foods like eggs and coffee creamer, which don’t directly contact the herbicide, shows that it’s being passed on by animals who ingest it in their feed,” said Gretchen DuBeau, executive and legal director of ANH-USA. “This is contrary to everything that regulators and industry scientists have been telling the public.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carey-gillam/private-tests-show-cancer_b_9723758.html
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > GMO issue.