Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting? [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jewels49
Msg: 139
Why are some people against hunting?Page 22 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

If I bought it second-hand. It's more environmentally friendly to purchase second-hand clothing (whether it's produced from animal byproducts or not) than it is to have a factory produce it new.

If your against it, why wear it?...recycled or not.

This "cheap market" produces these byproducts regardless of whether I support it or not.

It's a market. Don't kid yourself it's not consumer driven. No one buys, No market it's that simple.

(You are all consumers supporting an industry that kills animals.)Everyone is.
Such industries are ingrained in our lives.

Never a truer word spoken.

Might want to consider how the human population has affected natural habbitats and environmental stability with its practices before making such statements.

Might want to read ALL my messages in this thread BEFORE you tell me what I stand for. In fact do yourself a favour and read the thread..
Here..I'll even quote myself..

We are part of nature. It is not nature versus man. On a primal level we are animals.
We have disrupted our planet, by clearing land for housing, destroying habitat, introduction of different species, to lands with fragile natives. All have affected the eco system.

kuddlekitty
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Why are some people against hunting?
Posted: 7/31/2009 9:54:35 AM
I detest hunting. I remember seeing a documentary on China where they showed, graphically, how they slaughtered dogs and cats, and it was beyond heart-wrenching. Why do they do it? To take the fur off and produce/sell cat/dog stuffed animals!
To shoot, knife, strangle, hook, boil any animal, to my mind, is barbaric.
I don't think we have the right, just as I don't think we have the right to take human lives...unless...in all cases...it's in self-defense.
These are living, breathing, feeling creatures with LIVES...and if they happen to stumble upon a hunter's path they are murdered. All the philosophizing in the world doesn't change that fact.
 scottishexile2008
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:10:03 AM
hunting is really for spineless peopoe becasue if you had balls you would hunt something that would fire back ...all those macho so called peopoe are just using hunting to let off steam becasue their wives are not giving them any tang ....
i think hunters really need to be shot in the ass to appreciate what it is ....i find thgem ignorants and not giving a rats ass ....hunting is not a skill at all its a one sided game ........
 wisguyingb
Msg: 142
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:24:25 AM
I am a hunter and a fisherman for the record. But would any of you anti hunters have the nerve to tell the Native Americans they are "ignorant" and "spineless" because they hunt and gather on their reservation lands? Or is it just easier to just sum up all hunters as rednecks?

Anyone who hates hunters and hunting and eats meat is a huge hypocrite. Your basically saying that it's wrong to go and hunt your own meat but it's ok to support factory farms in which many of the animals are very sick, very poorly treated, and worse yet....killed....for food! It's true! The ranchers just walk those cattle into a truck and ship them to the slaughter house!! Crazy!! Where's the challenge in that? Oh those ranchers are cowards. Cowards I tell you!!

I think some of the antibiotics that are put in the animal feed are getting to your brains.

Your also a hypocrite if you own a leather jacket, leather belt, leather shoes, have leather seats in your car, or use any product that contains a animal by product in it. I would say the same applies to you if you use medicine that was tested on animals or contains a animal by product inside of it.

So what do you "Compassionate Anti hunters" feed your kitties and doggies? Does alpo now offer the vegan menu for your puppy and kitty?

I would hope that you were not supporting the pointless animal slaughter by buying dog and cat food that has murdered animals in it!
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 12:53:11 PM
message 443...methinks thou dost protest too much!
calm down...

I can only speak for myself; I do not eat meat; I am a vegetarian, I do not wear leather, my profile pic is a faux vest... I do what I can.

Your very last sentence..."buying dog and cat food that has murdered animals in it!" is difficult to even read...because the bottom line is that is horrendous to think about.

I have explored and found out there are meatless/vegan cat/dog food...and will probably look into it for my cat. (I don't have a dog; for anyone looking at my profile it was just a dog I met that day...just in case there are any "challenges" to my response!)

Since you are not living the life of someone against cruelty to animals...don't assume he/she is a hypocrite. Some take it to the extreme, others do what they think are reasonable for them by perhaps not wearing leather/fur or not eating meat. Change comes slow...and in little steps. But if each person decided they couldn't make a difference, then no one would do anything about any issue.

People can cut/paste/cite/reiterate statistics, opinions, facts, opposing ideas. It doesn't matter. This thread is asking a question: Why are some people against hunting...If you don't like the answers from people WHO ARE AGAINST HUNTING WHICH THE QUESTION ASKS...don't read the thread.

And pet an animal; they give unconditional love.
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 3:43:36 PM
Message 449: "At least a hunter deals with an animal in its own natural element. Where the animals instincts and innate survival skills put the odds in the animals favor."

Really? You think a deer casually sauntering or sprinting across his habitat has a fighting chance against an unexpected blast from a rifle or a bow that rips into him or whatever method of murderous choice one chooses to "engage" the animal?

"How noble is it to consume a beast that was raised in fenced in areas, trucked to a processing plant, and then killed with a blow to the head?"

It's not. It's disgusting.

"Our ancestors worked too hard to get to the top of the food chain for me to be concerned about consuming other animals. However, I do insist that they be treated as humanely as possible in the process."

You don't see the paradox in that statement? Basically, I don't give a freak if we kill em...just do it "humanely." Since when was killing humane?

It shouldn't be a debate about which method of slaughtering an innocent animal is "kinder. " I just don't think it is our right to decide which way we should take an innocent life. Ahhh, if animals could only speak.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 145
Posted: 7/31/2009 3:57:46 PM
It's called the cycle of life.

Nature created some animals that consume only plant life, and some animals that only consume meat, and some animals that consume both.

It's just nature, and when we die we will be consumed as well.

(Unless your buried in one of those pointless airtight uselesss coffins. I think all coffins should be made of wood. )
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:07:12 PM
You would "guess" that I've never been deer hunting? I would assume if you'd read any of my posts here you wouldn't have to guess. I'll repeat what I think. IT'S BARBARIC!

And, oh, it's difficult? Is that supposed to make the feat of actually slaughtering one more admirable. The rush of adrenaline, the thrill of the hunt, watching a beautiful animal collapse to its death.

No thanks. When I photograph nature it will be about the splendour, the beauty of nature and the animals that share this planet. I prefer to see them feed and nuzzle their young, to watch them sleep curled up together, watch a mother fight to save her babies. And then, when you witness that, you might realize you're killing living beings, though different than man, living, breathing right-to-exist on this planet creatures that unless they threaten...should be left alone to live out their natural lives.
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:28:29 PM
Humans do not "have" to eat meat to survive. That is proven. And while we can point to animals that kill other animals, we are "supposed" to be more evolved than them, supposedly put on a different level because of our ability to reason and have a conscience.

And I don't think we need to "humanize" them. I think we need to respect the fact that they are different from us...but that doesn't mean they don't have a right to walk the earth. And though, yes, things befall them, all the things you mention...things befall humans too. Should we shoot each other because, what the heck, we're going to get sick, or get murdered, or get old, or get attacked...

"It's about something bigger than that?" What would that be "prey" tell...

And, wow...the more I read what you wrote...you're thanking G-d and the animals...for what? So that you have food on your table? You can't get food on your table unless you slaughter an animal? Are we in the Flintstones? Quick! Someone tell me if I've been zapped into Fred and Wilma's time zone...

Or order me a brontosaurus burger, with ketchup.
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 5:09:00 PM
Actually, I became a vegetarian because the thought of eating a dead animal is repulsive to me, and yes, I do find it more "natural" to eat fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes...

Yes, conscience is a "relative" state of being. And everyone has their own to contend with. But it, as well as the ability to reason, does separate us from animals. You can reason your way to taking a life, or not.

I'm not justifying my choices to anyone. And I do not accept the reasons why people hunt. Again, this thread asked why some people were adverse to hunting.

Look at it with detachment? I cannot look at the taking of lives, and yes, especially those who do so for sport or food, with detachment. I wouldn't like who I am if I were able to do so.

Accept that nature itself is not inclined toward benevolence or compassion? Unfortunately, that is the case with many, and has been so since the beginning of time.
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 5:47:15 PM
Well first of all, I have an indoor cat and would not be able to witness her killing any animal either. She doesn't even kill bugs! If she sees the occasional one, she stares at it, runs around it, and meows. Maybe she takes after her mom.

I have seen outdoor cats go after birds, and I can't deal with it. It changes my opinion of cats in the moment...and then I realize...THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER! We do!

As far as "evolution"...man has evolved from himself. All these years later, we do not have to resort to the hunt/prey killer instinct. It's a choice, not a necessity.

J in SD...just watched To Duck or Not to Duck on youtube...hilarious. But Fudd shoulda stayed down for the count!
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:16:41 PM
You missed my point about cats killing other animals. The few times I have witnessed outdoor cats do that it's beyond repulsed me...I LOVE cats...I love my cat like I would a child. With that said, in a moment of witnessing a feral cat tear a bird apart, I couldn't deal with the cat that moments ago I thought was so adorable. But then I realized, what I said in my previous post, THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER! And that is the redeeming quality. They do it out of animal instinct; they don't have the ability to contemplate and make a conscious decision of whether they are destroying a life.
THAT is what sets humans apart.
It's not a "way of life" for a deer to fall to its death after being shot. It IS barbaric. What justification can there be for killing an animal that hasn't harmed you so you can have meat in your freezer.
And I'm debating this with "emotions on my sleeve?" This isn't a scientific thread; it's not about the merits or statistics or eco debates of hunting.
It was a simple question, "Why Are Some People Against Hunting." For most of the people that are against it, it is emotional. It's based on protecting the animals.
I'm glad that your prey makes it difficult for you and others. But then again, hunters probably wouldn't enjoy it as much if there were no challenge. Sorta like those creepy stories you hear about murderers who like to see their victims put up a fight before they kill em...
And it's great that you love your dog and cat...however, if you lived in China, they'd be food too. Or a toy. Would the person who rationalized that make you feel any better?
 cotter
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:16:48 AM
We have all kinds of (way too many deer) in our protected metro parks here in Columbus, so they have professional hunters go in and "thin out" the populations and the meat goes to feed the homeless.

I think I heard that they try to focus on taking out the weaker animals and leave the stronger ones, but to do that, I believe one would have to observe the herds for a while ... don't know if that's what's really going on.

I'm becoming less and less a meat eater ... so if they got rid of all meat in the supermarkets, I doubt that I'd be too upset.

I don't think I'd enjoy spending time with someone who gets "pleasure" out of killing defenseless wild animals ... even if they are eating what they kill.

They brought in some hawks to Columbus, Ohio years ago ... to keep down the pigeon population downtown. At that time, we lived close to the downtown area. I remember my children were playing in our family room one day and suddenly called me to the window to see that "a big bird was killing another bird in our backyard".

It was actually quite a rare siting of the hawks at work. My children wanted to scare it away but I encouraged them to let the hawk stay. I told them it was doing it's job ... that's why it was brought to Columbus. I also told them that if they were disgusted by what it was doing ... just to go away from the window.

I think the hawks were nesting on some of the tall buildings downtown and they even had cameras mounted so that we could watch the babies hatching and being raised.
 raxarsr
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2009 11:39:27 AM
fishing isnt like hunting....your talking about comercial fishing compared to sport hunting........theres a huge differance

as a sportsman, i'm willing to wager i did more to support wildlife conservation on the day i bought my hunting and fishing licenses than 95% of the people on this thread argueing against hunting.
the simple truth is....todays modern sportsmen do more every year to conserve wildlife and wildlands that all the anti groups in the world
 raxarsr
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2009 3:57:06 PM
actually...overall.deer numbers are down in pa.way down in some places.......but there are areas where there are WAY too many...........those are the places where you cant hunt......prime example...around the king ranch in chester county.lots and lots od deer.very limited access.

as far as the predators goes....they werent over hunted......most arent used for food....nor fur.......no market.......no one hunts them........however.....wolves soon learned that domestic livestock was jst as good eating and a lot easier to catch.
the preditors were decimated because you couldnt raise livestock with them around.
similarly..deer have discovered that crops are good eating and a lot easier to find..hencethe reason farmers dont really like deer.

another example..several years ago when the snow geese really started useing south east pa as a stop over....lots of farmers didnt allow hunting for them....[i have one particular guy in mind].we asked permission several times..he always said no..he enjoyed seeing them.........well.......the really big flocks moved in.............in 3 days time.....they destroyed.completely....2 20 acre fields of winter wheat.................guess who now opens his arms to goose hunters?

people have got to quit giving animals human atributes.......yes.deer are beautiful......but during a hard winter when food is scarece..a mature doe will chase her fawns away from a food source and allow them to starve so she can live.
compared to a hunters bullet.nature is cruel.......very cruel.

for those of you who dont enjoy.or even like hunting....fine....then dont do it.maybe you like ballet.or opera..........2 things i personally abhore.....however.....i have yet even once tried to deny you your right to enjoy them.....so why are you picking on me?
why not put your efforts into stopping abortion?.......or child abuse?........or any of the hundreds of abuses against people?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting? [CLOSED Thread]