Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting? [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SAguy_06
Msg: 51
Why are some people against hunting?Page 3 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

is this a metric thing...like 10 squared?

or 10 milion, the other zeros are understood.

slumdog 1,00
 nebula22
Msg: 52
Why are some people against hunting?
Posted: 2/24/2009 5:52:59 AM
I taught my son and 3 daughters how to shoot.
None of them became robbers, killers or thieves.
All of them can kill with one shot.
None of them hunt but one of my daughters is married to a man that hunts deer and squirrels for food as they live here in the mountains.

I have seen herds of deer in Alabama that destroy many crops and are a real hazard for drivers.
They need to be thinned out to protect the environment and the people driving down those country roads.
Without Wolves and Coyotes to keep the herds thinned out, there needs to be more hunting to do what nature used to take care of.
 yna6
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:11:22 AM
Slaughterhouse? Please......I worked in one, and know the proceedures. The animals were killed quickly and cleanly. Quit the stereotyping.
There was once a time when animals were not so quickly put down, and there was also a time when some employees were treating the animals cruely. Most of that has been wiped out over the past two decades.
Try to remember this....bruised meat doesn't bring in as good a price...so the animals have to treated half decently, or there is going to be one very PO'ed boss out there just looking to fire someone he catches abusing an animal he intends to sell.
Also, as far as meat production is concerned, we don't HAVE the land to allow animals to "roam around" and be "free". They are being raised as meat animals as quickly as possible to make a buck at the industry. Otherwise prices would skyrocket and we'd have the system whereby you'd have to be very well off in order to eat meat. The farmer HAS to confine their animals in order for them to gain the market weight within a certain time period. Otherwise it becomes unprofitable to raise animals. The use of growth hormones helps speed up this "conveyer belt" type production. It is necessary because of the demands of the public for AFFORDABLE meat on their tables. Want to blame someone for these practices? Try blaming the fast food chains that need thousands of pounds of beef and chicken DAILY. Try blaming the cities that pave over the best farmlands in order to house and employ a growing population. Try blaming the root causes, rather than an industry struggling to keep up with the demand.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:13:28 AM
I'm not being drawn back into senseless arguing but answering a statement. The reason you don't go for headshots has nothing to do with trophying. Otherwise we would go for headshots on doe wich would be great because there is no potential for meat loss.

The killzone in a deers organs is large, you hit in the killzone the deer will more than likely bleed out leaving a good trail and die that is if it goes anywere. The killzone in a headshot is brain or spine. If you prefer us to go for that and potentialy blow their jaw off leaving them to suffer until they die of starvation thats not what most hunters are out for.
 CanonPeach
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/24/2009 1:22:58 PM

Slaughterhouse? Please......I worked in one, and know the proceedures. The animals were killed quickly and cleanly.

Really? Then why is it that the USDA REQUIRES them to be rendered unconscience, but NOT DEAD before processing?

The use of growth hormones helps speed up this "conveyer belt" type production. It is necessary because of the demands of the public for AFFORDABLE meat on their tables.

What a crock! The cost of the hormones has jacked up the price of meat,, evidently you haven't priced hamburger recently.
 cowtrucker
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 2:24:04 PM
I'm Pro-Hunting... I can't say that I'm an Avid hunter, or even a regular hunter. I've only been a couple times in my life, but I did enjoy it the times I went. I think there are several different reasons people hunt. To some, it makes them feel like they were living out on the frontier. To some, it gives them a challenge. To others, like myself, i actually like to EAT what I kill. I like the taste of Deer, Elk, Antelope, and Phesant, with an occasional wild turkey thrown in for good measure.

I don't agree with abolishing hunting all together, but I do think there needs to be limits on some things. In Kansas, we have way too many deer. There are Deer-Vehicle collisions every day. In the fall and spring, that is the number one thing that brought cars into the body shop (when I used to work there.) Hunting actually HELPS keep some things, like deer, from over-populating... So, in that respect, hunting is helpful.

There are things that can be done to make hunting safe for everyone. I do agree with the hunter education courses, and the laws that require reflective clothing... So let's get geared-up and go hunting!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 scottishexile2008
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 4:07:07 PM
hunting is not s sport there is no competitor to fire back at you ...how many hunters would go hunting if they knew they could get shot at ...its all macho crap and most hunters i think are scared and would not go into a plce where they would get shot they lack power if they wre brave enough they would be prepared to get shot ...now soldiers are real men they do get shot at ...i myself condem military and all that related crap but hunting to me is for weaklings anyone can fire a gun ata target that is defenceless ...its easy to take a life when you opponent cannot pull a trigger
 rossomycoo
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 5:20:08 PM
Where are the PETV? People for the ethical treatment of vegetables...hmmmm? After all they do have a vegitative spirit. They can't even get up and run. They are ripped, often times from their very roots, and eaten alive. Animals are processed in one way, shape or form. Allowed to hang and cure in many cases. Thanks is given after thought and homage is pondered before eating meat.They actually produce methane gas that is supposably harmful to our very existance on this planet, [a la global warmings biggest culprettt.] A Veggie is simply eaten without any consideration of it's journey in most instances. Not to mention that plants, [which is a category veggies and fruits belong to] produce oxygen that is a good thing for our existance. So I think the anti-meat/pro-veggie group actually are doing more harm than good, if one was to look at the bigger picture. I myself eat it all. Veggies and meat. You just can't get attached to the food. You'll ponder your life away with visions of grandiosity.
 davelrrp
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2009 12:16:53 AM
islade58......"Hunters call it a "sport". Tell you what, you go into the woods with your gun, after while i'll come in with mine. The object is for you to not end up mounted on my wall. That would be a sport, both have a chance of winning. "

You're on. Name time and place. Do you have a preference for being exhibited or would you rather be part of the petfood market? Would not want that bravado to be wasted.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/1/2009 1:48:10 AM

Being a vegan is a choice. But if it were normal to be that way, vegans would not have to go to such great lengths to see that they get adequate nutrition.

Can you explain more? I have never have this problem, nor any other who know proper nutrition.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/1/2009 5:41:00 PM

Sure -- knowlegable vegans know that they have to mix foods carefully in order to make up for the fact that vegetables in themselves do not provide the whole protiens that meat contains. They usually have to supplement because they just can't get some nutrients like amino acids.

I am person who watch carefully what I eat, yet I have never "mix foods carefully" as if an alchemist. I eat a variety of vegetable, beans, and whole grain and have no trouble in protein and amino acids. I really do not know what you mean. Of course, I will not eat as much protein as the average person in North America, but since people do not realize they are eating many time the amount they need, this is okie for me.

Scientists tell us that nature has provided animals with teeth that are suitable for their diets. Grazing mammals have only molar type teeth needed for chewing grasses and plants. Carnivorus animals have teeth that are suitable for chewing and tearing flesh. People have both kinds of teeth.

Then throw out every fork and knife in your house? Yes, there was time when eating meat was needed to survive. I am sure you can also accept that nature have also given us larger brains to learn more about nutrition. Through this, killing animals is no longer a need to survive, only a want.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/2/2009 2:42:23 PM
You may be right, meat is a want... and as long as there are millions of us that "want" that steak, that roast and that hamburger, it's not going to go away.

I do not care what you or other put into their body.

That means you have to watch what you eat, and infers that a safe vegan diet is harder to maintain than a diet that includes all food groups.

Everybody must watch what they eat. Eating meat does not exclude this. No, it is not harder to maintain vegan diet if is plan properly, as all diet should be.

An overwhelming number of individuals world wide also recognize that meat is required for human health.

"Various polls have reported vegans to be between 0.2%[4] and 1.3%[6] of the U.S. population, and between 0.25%[5] and 0.4%[7] of the UK population"

The poll given does not reflect your statement.

1) Vegetarian do not eat meat and are not included among vegans.
2) It say nothing of their opinion of their diet. A person can eat meat and still feel it is bad for them. If you consider the obesity rate, it should follow that many people may not feel they have healthy diet.
3) If they feel their diet is healthy, it say nothing of their opinion of meat is required for this. A person can feel they have healthy diet but agree there are alternative to this.
4) (very minor point) A poll between US and UK is not "world wide"

Since you do want to stay as smart as you are, I'm sure you remember to supplement with amino acids -- most are found ONLY in animal protiens

This is very incorrect. Even if you are refer to only complete protein.

And, as a highly intelligent person, you must certainly realize that your choice to be a vegan is an emotional one -- and not a choice based on nutritional logic.

no

You probably already know that many of the other 99.8% to 98.7% Americans who are not vegans are also quite intelligent persons, and most of us have indeed, evolved beyond eating without dining utensils, and therefore do not feel that is is necessary to "throw them all out".

My only point/joke is that if you wish to use our teeth natural design to dictate your choise, you would not see a point in useing utensils. The claim of people are required to eat meat because they have teeth for this, is just the same as me tell you to throw out knife and fork because you have teeth to tear your food with. Instead, there are alternative to both.

While you certainly can be health eating vegan or vegetarian you simply have to take more care when this is how you eat.

Correct, I did not look at the urls. But from your sumery, I still do not see that I must take more care. As I say before, all diet must have proper care. With this, the problem in your examples do not exist.
 NoodlingMAO
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2009 2:12:48 PM

hunting is not s sport there is no competitor to fire back at you ...how many hunters would go hunting if they knew they could get shot at ...its all macho crap and most hunters i think are scared and would not go into a plce where they would get shot they lack power if they wre brave enough they would be prepared to get shot ...now soldiers are real men they do get shot at ...i myself condem military and all that related crap but hunting to me is for weaklings anyone can fire a gun ata target that is defenceless ...its easy to take a life when you opponent cannot pull a trigger

This is unreal.I love to be in the woods.I spend alot of time just setting in the woods thinking.To hunt is not killing,it is way more than that.A good hunter also wants to save animals every chance he gets.My bud has rased many animals.He never killed them when the got fullgrown.He always lets them go in the woods some where to live a full life[may it be a short one dew to a hunter on not].
Just as any thing in life some people like to do things some people like to cry about it,make up every thing they can.Funny if some one is aginst some thing they can figger out a way to say we should not use the teath god gave us to eat meat.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/3/2009 7:34:40 PM
I can't find who posted that qoute but if you raise animals then set them free all your doing is sending them to their almost certain death. Funny to call hunters cruel without even thinking about something like this. It's not planting a tree it is a animal that needs to grow up learning how to survive. They will have almost no gathering skills, probably no idea about a predator or anything. The DEC/wild life preservation tries to do this with pheasant here and the stupid things have no clue. You are out rabbit hunting or whatever and turn around and one of these dang things will be following you looking for food. That is of course when they don't stand in the middle of the field watching each other being eaten by coyotes.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/5/2009 3:23:18 AM

We were designed to eat meat as well as vegetation.

There are many thing human are designed for that are no longer necessary.

By the way if everyone were to stop eating meat and only ate vegetables do you have any idea what would happen?

Unless I did not see it, no one has or should suggest people eat only vegetables.
 nebula22
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/5/2009 7:44:13 AM
With the way things are going, we won't have a choice.
We will have to hunt so that we can eat.
There are not always going to be crops ripe and ready to eat.
We will need to hunt in order to survive and those who don't know how to hunt will starve.
Do you think you will be able to go to the store for food without having the money to pay for it?
If you live in the city , you had better get used to eating dogs, cats, and rats.

I am looking into large bore, magnum air rifles for deer hunting.
I already have a small bore magnum air rifle.
I do not want to be depending on being able to buy ammo or powder for re-loading.
I can get a mold and melt down old lead weights used to balance wheels on a car or truck.
There are zillions of these available everywhere.
These magnum air rifles don't use powder to push a bullet.
If you depend on being able to buy ammo, then you may end up with a gun that does you no good.
What are you gonna do with an empty gun?
Chase down a deer and club it to death?
 nebula22
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/5/2009 8:11:27 AM
Thanks Openwatercaptn,, I'm sure we would have a peaceful and happy camp with much to eat.

These magnum air rifles are filled with 2000 to 3500 psi of air pressure.
The hand pumps used to fill them are available for around $250.00 ....
Large bore air rifles are available in 9mm , which is 35 cal. , 45 cal. and 50 caliber..

With one of these pumps you could put enough air into one of those airsoft air rifles as long as the canister will hold that much pressure and the firing mechanism doesn't lock up from too much back pressure.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/5/2009 4:34:48 PM

undigested meat sits in your digestive tract for years!

Which scientic study cites this? I may agree Un-digested meat may take longer to pass through the digestive system, but please tell me what kind of meat is Un-digestable?

If humans were not designed to eat meat...We would block up and die. Then Humans would have learned dont eat those warm blooded things.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/5/2009 4:50:43 PM
Its not my job to prove your point...Its yours.

Give me the medical book you read this in.
 brunett27
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/5/2009 7:17:45 PM
I am not a vegan or vegetarian, but I am definitely of the mindset that if I had to kill it myself, I would do without. A man that thinks it's fun and exciting to kill animals is no real man in my eyes. I suppose there are women hunters too, but it DOES seem to be more of a male thing. YUCK.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/5/2009 10:40:38 PM

No one in developed countries needs to eat meat today. NO ONE!

Unless I did not see it, no one has or should suggest people eat only vegetables.

Yeah it might help if you were to actually read what other people write.

Before you can critisize my reading, you must explain why you belief "no meat" is the same as "only vegetables."

You were told of the care you must take with your diet but in typical teenager fashion you think you know everything. Teens they know absolutely everything about absolutely nothing. You want what you believe to be right so bad that you are willing and eager to overlook scientific fact.

Is unfortunate these discussion alway have a troll that wish to insult when a person disagree.

Since you concede a vegan and vegetarian diet can be healthy, the only point you make is the effort require. To which I say ALL diet (with or without meat) require proper planning and care. If you disagree and belief a person who eat meat should not be careful of what they eat or do not eat, this is fine to me. I do not have to live in your body.
 militarymike88
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/5/2009 11:46:09 PM
Normally I don't get into right and wrong moral arguments. Too philosophical, self awareness, thinking-about-things-because-we-can stuff. But when people bring biology into it and are flat out WRONG. I just can't stand aside. One of the benefits of being at one of the best nursing and biology schools in the WORLD, I have access to a whole host of medical journals. Lets take a look at what some of them say about vegans and meat.

According to an article in USA today printed on 2 Mar 2009, Vegan and vegitarion diets lead to a Vitamin B-12 deficiency tied to neural tube defects. Hmm neural tubes sound important right. B12 is found in meat, cheese, eggs and milk ie animals. Women with low B12 were 5 TIMES more likely to have a baby with neural tube defect. Sucks for the kid but hey, at least the parents feel good they didn't harm a poor little animal.

That was a recent article lets go back a few years. Say about 2 million years where the remains of pre historic humans were found in the Indonesian islands. The article shows " that human ancestors left Africa earlier than was thought and that these wanderers had adopted a carnivore's protein-laden diet. Meat-eating may have been key to survival outside Africa, and it may have set human ancestors on an evolutionary course to larger brains, typical of predators." Hmm bigger brains in omnivores and carnivores. I see a trend here.

In a journal called Dance Spirit it goes over the dangers of a Vegan diet in an article called "The Vegan Dilemma." Dilemma you say? Why is there a dilemma over something so healthy. Copy and paste right from the article here we go: Between 13 and 19, you grow like crazy, so getting the proper nutrition is crucial. And what you eat today doesn't just influence your body right now; it sets you up for the future. Here are five vegan pitfalls you'll want to watch out for — and ways to sail past them.

LACK OF CALCIUM: "Bone-building calcium is especially important for dancers, who may be more prone to bone and stress fractures," says Blatner. You'd have to eat more than seven cups of raw broccoli to get as much calcium as there is in only one cup of milk!

SOLUTION: Girls ages 9 to 18 should shoot for 1,300 mg of calcium a day — find it in broccoli, kale, tofu made with calcium and calcium-fortified soy foods, juices and cereals. Ask your doctor about taking a calcium supplement with magnesium.

LOW CALORIE COUNT: As a vegan dancer, "you need to eat more volume in order to get the same amount of calories," Dr. Hensrud says. You would have to eat 35 cups of green beans to get the same number of calories in a pound of hamburger meat. "Because you're expending a lot of calories in the dance studio, you need more calories than the average teen, not less."

SOLUTION: Eat calorie-dense foods, like avocados and dried fruit. Also, eat something starchy at every meal, like whole-wheat varieties of cereal, pasta, bread, rice or potatoes. And don't forget your nuts and seeds.

DIMINISHED MUSCLE TONE: "Protein is essential for building and repairing muscles and body tissues," says Blatner. But vegans don't eat meat or dairy, which are huge sources of protein.

SOLUTION: Eat nuts, seeds, soy, whole grains, lentils, avocados, olives, peas and kidney, pinto and black beans.

LIMITED VARIETY: Every day you need protein from several different foods. "Each source of protein carries its own unique blend of amino acids," says Farrell. So you can't replace the protein in all meat with just nuts.

SOLUTION: Mix it up and keep it interesting! Make sure the food on your plate isn't all one color, and beware of buying one or two items in bulk.

TOO LITTLE FAT: Not having enough fat in your diet leads to low body fat, which can influence your hormones and menstrual cycle. Vegans have to get the fat elsewhere — vegan dancers need to compensate even more."

And Vegans are getting in trouble with the law too. In Atlanta a 6 week old, 3.5 pound baby dies on a vegan diet of f breast milk, organic apple juice and soy milk. He died of MALNUTRITION RELATED PNEUMONIA. Lets say that again: MALNUTRITION.

If you are going to call eating meat a biological necessity, expect a fly in your ointment like me to come by and eat it.
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2009 8:31:57 PM
I will not go out with anyone that is a hunter. I love all of God's creatures no matter their size. I don't know how anyone can kill a defenseless animal when u can to thru a drive thru if your hungry. It is murder still to me.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/8/2009 11:24:10 PM

Just because I'm human and have a highly developed brain, doesn't mean I should have to be different than my ancestors

I would question how highly develope a brain is if they take so much pleasure in hunting. Hunting for necessary (if you belief it is) is one thing. If your greatest pleasure and hobby is to kill something, I will question your intelligence or mental health.

Moreover, is funny to hear people talk of their primal nature while typing on internet. lol
 shmodzilla
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:32:57 AM
Don't worry most hunters don't put trophy hunters in the hunting category. They are dirtbags and most hunters would assume they get eaten as well.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting? [CLOSED Thread]