Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting? [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shmodzilla
Msg: 101
Why are some people against hunting?Page 5 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
Why shouldn't it be for providing? Venison is one of the leanest healthiest red meats there are. Even if you put in the initial cost for the first year for a starter shotgun and license you are still talking about 1-2 dollars or less a pound for great meat. I have had my shotguns for 15+ years so they have far payed for themself. My sportsmen license is now 5 dollars. 5 bucks for a hundred pounds of food is a hell of a deal.
Vegans get flak because you yourself are a minority. 99 percent do preach and it only takes one bad apple as we know. What large group isn't hated? Motorcycle riders,hunters, the military, vegans. Everyone hates everyone else that is just how it is.
 liljester
Msg: 102
Why are some people against hunting?
Posted: 3/15/2009 8:53:36 AM
Just thought I would mention a study done about 35 -40 YEARS AGO. In it they tested plants for whether or not they had feelings. Had someone enter and completely rip one to shreds. The monitors showed a reaction in the plants. They then had a few different people walk through, no reaction. But when the same person who had destroyed the plant came in, the plants showed a reaction. They may indeed have feelings.

Just a shout out to all the holier than thou vegans and vegetarians, who think they are completely benevolent LOL Might want to rethink that stance.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/15/2009 5:19:47 PM
It's only meat to most if it is cute ,cuddly with big bunny eyes.
 liljester
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:35:49 AM
psssst, "Was there a purpose to using the term Holier than Thou other than to flame bait?

Tolerance of a person's opinions and life choices is a two way street..."
oh calm the hell down! (The last sentence just made you a hypocrite anyway dumbass LOL). OVER REACTION like THAT is what causes the wars. Was I addressing all vegans as such? NO. YOU just decided to be narrowminded enough to imply I was. Now take your attempts to start your little flame war elsewhere. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponet LOL (Might want to try to find your sense of humor too).
I used to be a quasi vegetarian, before I got pregnant and didn't want to jeopardize the health of my kid by playing games with my food. Doc even told me that I had to change my diet.

*~*Royal Majesty*~*, while my stomach is far to queasy to ever be able to kill, much less skin an animal, I don't see anything wrong with staying warm in the furs I inherited from my grandmother. If anything, you could say that recycling it through the generations was our way of saving any others from being killed on our part. And sorry if back in the 30s gram didn't know it wasn't politically correct LOL As far as others respecting your culture, as you respect their's, getting an idea you won't be seeing much of that from the militant types aka holier than thous LOL As far as the actual hunting my brother does, he won't take anything BUT what he calls a "clean kill" where the animal doesn't suffer. Yeah, the genetic aim in this family is that good.

MavcomArt, very impressed by the point you made, and how you did it was pretty funny, in message 262.

coca2 "There's no difference to hunting verses fishing.. it's how the kill is done. When I fish it's a quick beheading. How many hunters can say that their kill is quick?"
As I said, my brother refuses to take the shot otherwise (he also only hunts with a bow now since he says there isn't even any sport in using a gun). But, I have never believed those fishermen who say that it doesn't hurt a fish having that hook stuck in them as they strain against it fighting for their life. Doesn't seem very humane.
" Even the cops have had enough of these pseudo hunters."
The english language does not have words harsh enough for these sickos.

CheshireCatalyst, sorry, but outdated information from the past isn't very relevant in the here and now. Thirteen years is way too long ago IMO. Too much has changed since then.

JustinVoorhees, I have always said I could more easily kill a human than an animal, since so many are so much more evil and dangerous.
 militarymike88
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/16/2009 1:33:18 PM
Post 275 reminds me of when I scared the hell out of a cashier at a sporting goods store. I popped open a civilian version of an M4 when he asks "What do you hunt?" Without missing a beat or looking at him I said "People." If I wasn't wearing my infantry shirt I probably would have been arrested.

Humans are the top of the food chain. From a biological standpoint we didn't get there by eating nothing but plants. Meat is still needed to develop properly from the studies I posted some time ago. How do we get meat? Hunt. There is no way around it.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/16/2009 1:45:15 PM

Meat is still needed to develop properly from the studies I posted some time ago.

In what post? #170 did not prove this.
 militarymike88
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/16/2009 9:28:27 PM
LexyAlexia the vitamin B12 research with Neural tube deficiencies. Sure its a long post but none of it was pulled out of my butt. Everything I wrote in 170 come from medical, biological, archeological peer reviewed journals. Which is more than you can say about your "sources."
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 108
Posted: 3/17/2009 4:41:20 AM
LexyAlexia the vitamin B12 research with Neural tube deficiencies. Sure its a long post but none of it was pulled out of my butt. Everything I wrote in 170 come from medical, biological, archeological peer reviewed journals. Which is more than you can say about your "sources."

Your "research" says that people need B12. No one can deny this. But since it is found in milk and other dairy products. People do not need to eat meat to get this vitamin. Every other problem you raised had a solution in the same post.

You claim of meat is need for developement is not true.
 militarymike88
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/17/2009 9:10:43 AM
My "research" is actual research. And besides, if meat wasn't necessary the human body wouldn't have evolved to digest it now would it? High fiber foods such as bark and grass used to be able to be digested by humans in the appendix. Now that organ lies dormant and useless.

Open your mouth (for something other than eating or spouting lies about meat) and look at your teeth. True omnivores like ourselves and bears have teeth for plants and meat, molars and canines respectively. If plants were all that were needed for survival we would have more grinding type teeth like molars, if it were just meat we would have more sharp teeth for ripping apart meat. Since we have both we need both.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 110
Posted: 3/17/2009 11:37:16 AM

And besides, if meat wasn't necessary the human body wouldn't have evolved to digest it now would it?

Why do you say this? Only because one is able to eat meat, does not mean one must eat meat to be healthy.

If one can recieve all of necessary nutrition from non-meat source, meat is not needed. Is very simple. Until you can explain what nutrition meat supply but is not found elsewhere, your argument is still false.

Open your mouth (for something other than eating or spouting lies about meat)

Copy and paste a single lie. But I know you will not. If not this, copy and paste anything I have say about meat. My posts are person can be completely healthy on non-meat diet. I say nothing of the good or bad of meat or your choise to do this.
 militarymike88
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/17/2009 9:48:03 PM
Healthy on a non-meat diet? I have never seen a healthy vegan or even a vegetarian. They always look pale, frail, and like they would float away if you sighed in their direction too hard. Taking into account your own body type you have no significant muscle mass to speak of. 5'4" and from what I can tell you probably don't even tip the scale at 125. Healthy? I think not. But at least you feel good about yourself because you don't harm cute little animals.

I have no problem with veganism or vegetarians. Just don't push off your ideals, spouting the whole "It works from me deal" with no proof to your claims on other people. Let us be our definition of healthy and you be yours. We will argue morality when we all burn in hell anyway.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 112
Posted: 3/18/2009 4:51:51 AM
Healthy on a non-meat diet? I have never seen a healthy vegan or even a vegetarian. They always look pale, frail, and like they would float away if you sighed in their direction too hard. Taking into account your own body type you have no significant muscle mass to speak of. 5'4" and from what I can tell you probably don't even tip the scale at 125. Healthy? I think not. But at least you feel good about yourself because you don't harm cute little animals.

Yes I am very sickly. Every body on this site and in person tells me this. :)

Do you have any facts to back up your claim that meat is needed for a healthy diet, or are we finished?

I have no problem with veganism or vegetarians. Just don't push off your ideals, spouting the whole "It works from me deal" with no proof to your claims on other people.

Most of my post are in respond to the ideas other are giving. If a person push an idea that vegan or vegetarian diet is unhealthy, why should a respond be surprising?
 scottishexile2008
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 1:34:05 PM
samurai 41 strange that you area black belt instructor yet you smoke bad example for kids and you do list your self body as average think being a black belt you might be more fitter

i think you are the stupid one

a smoking black belt instructor around kids well i would not let my kids around somone like you you are a bad example

kids look up to their instructors for guidance

i think you have shot too many squirrels

martial arts instructors should know better than to smoke i mean is that not the stupidest thing yet you should know better after all you are definetely not a young instructor so you should be setting an example

and there shoudl be an element of mental when you are in meartial arts you seem to lack control if you are so good at amrtial arts then why are you smoking that is a weakness/addiction
 militarymike88
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/19/2009 7:58:05 PM
PerfectPushUpz Okay you found a site with veggie body builders. Big deal. You could probably gain muscle mass on a liquid only diet, but that doesn't mean its healthy for you now does it?

And Chlorella? Are you serious? First of all the stuff is algae, I am not sure many people want to eat algae. Second it only contains .13mg of Vitamin B12 in a serving wheras 3 small ounces of beef contains 2.1. Third and most importantly Chlorella has unusually thick walls for again ALGAE for humans to digest in its natural state. And loses much of its nutritional value when processed to break down the cell walls. The idea of Chlorella was abandoned in the 1960s as an effective food source.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 115
Posted: 3/20/2009 5:19:29 PM
I've never fired a gun, so it would feel pretty strange to me to fire one at an animal. From that, I guess it's pretty obvious that I don't understand why people 'hunt'.

Personally, I'm just not interested in killing animals and I don't get how people can have so much affection for their cat, dog, or even bird, yet go out into the wilderness and shoot at other animals. Some of which are relatives of the pets they hold so dear.

I agree there are justifications for indigenous communities world wide to maintain traditional modes of living. Who would argue against the New Guinean highlanders right to feed himself and his family, the widespread practice in China of catching and killing almost any animal for food, or the seasonal meanderings of Australian Aboriginals harvesting plants and animals in accord with tradition and nature.

Those practices are a different proposition to urbanized 'hunter/gatherers' using giant recreational 4x4's and armed to the teeth with high-powered rifles equipped with telescopic sights so they can shoot animals that are so far away they can hardly be seen with the naked eye.

Besides, these appeals to our neanderthal origins are ridiculously selective. We lived in rough shelters back then and used knives made from split rocks and spears made of wood, we hunted as a community to support extended family groups. We didn't have to drive to the forest, we lived in it.

Neanderthal attitudes may persist, but not much of the reality.

The culling/over population justification seems weak to me too. If this were a true motivation the hunters would be down at the local refuse dump shooting at the rats, or blazing away at locusts.
Small burrowing animals of many kinds often create populations that just beg to be controlled, yet poison is usually used because the avid population controllers are out in the woods shooting at Bambi.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:15:22 PM

We just don't happen to be afraid of getting our hands dirty and practicing what we preach.

I'm not afraid, I just prefer clean hands thanks. Nor do I need to practise, I'm already proficient.
But each to their own hey?
 shmodzilla
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:54:26 PM
Well i hate my ex wife more than anyone in the world yet i still want to meet another woman to love.

What do you think is in that pet food your feeding your dogs and cats?
 lyingcheat
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/20/2009 9:07:38 PM

Other people participating in hunting harms you in no way so there is no need to cast aspersions on those who do or fill this forum with hateful diatribe.

I haven't posted any "hateful diatribe". Nor did I cast aspersions on anyone.
But you did.
If this justification seems weak to you then you truly are uninformed as to the skewed balance of nature and the need to control animal populations.

Read my previous post with an open mind and you might be surprised what you learn....

Take your own advice jack.
It might help you avoid selective quoting, and maybe the casting aspersions problem you have too.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/21/2009 9:06:22 AM
Haha, luvulongtime i didn't notice how that looked lol. Better than she deserves anyway. Sometimes it's more fun to just sit back and quietly watch others wreck their own life , i wish her a long extended life that she leads now.

I call ABSOLUTE bs on those "wildlife watching" VS hunting numbers. My bet is that number included every campground,every park attended and so on. We might as well say every one of those people were potential hunters scouting and put them under hunting.
I'll stop by the sporting good store though and see how much is in the bird watching section vs the hunting section and check up to see how much a bird watching license is. I certainly believe a website set out to abolish hunting. I'm sure they are just as trustworthy as the so called Violence policy center.
 wings on my butt
Msg: 120
Posted: 3/21/2009 2:39:55 PM
Family sized bag of cheetos 2.99

2L of pepsi 1.50

4 pack bag of mars bars 3.50

Fat woman making a horse cart her fat ass around and tries to make herself believes it actually likes it
PRICELESS
 lyingcheat
Msg: 121
Posted: 3/21/2009 4:19:09 PM
The difference in attitude and tactics between the 'Hunters' and the non-'Hunters' in this thread is illustrative.

On the one side, consistent rationality, calm, and reasoned argument.
On the other? Elastic principles (to put it kindly), vehemence, and ad hominum attacks.

Here we have reliance on the power of truth, and undistorted statements of belief.
But there we see paranoia, insults, and mockery.

One sees the steamroller of integrity flattening the swollen pustule of opportunistic posturing.
(Unlike animals, a moving set of principles is easier to shoot down.)
And unfortunately that's the tragedy of the two dimensional character, to not recognize how paper thin they and their arguments really are.

I point no fingers at anyone, and leave it for each camp to self identify.
Who is who will no doubt be revealed in posts subsequent to this one, as the hunting camp open fire.
Revealing as they do, just by the by, that a few pens are mightier than a thousand bullets.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 122
Posted: 3/21/2009 5:15:46 PM
""Well, I had no idea my profile was going to be of so much interest......I think you guys should find another hobby!
""

I'm now confused on the whole point of a personals site.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 123
Posted: 3/21/2009 7:38:45 PM

Thank you again for recognizing and supporting those that have managed to interact in this thread in both a civil and forthright manner.

Fair enough, in so much as you have achieved this ^^^ the credit does go to you. It's regrettable that others have not been so rational though.

For them, here's a definition of ad hominem.

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
eg:
When you want to talk about abuse of animals look no farther than a riding club. Here is a group of people that take sadistic delight in driving nails through the feet of horses so that they can,in her own words, cruelly bridal and hit with a riding crop. All you have to do is watch horses being broken to see how much they enjoy having this woman on their backs.
And that quote got applause from the person who posted following it.

Fat woman making a horse cart her fat ass around and tries to make herself believes it actually likes it.
And so did this one in a subsequent post.

There are several others, but these are just two, from just this page.

It's pointless trying to debate with irrationality, and there are many other pointless things I'd much rather do.

Oh look! There goes a butterfly!
 shmodzilla
Msg: 124
Posted: 3/23/2009 3:22:34 PM
I thought thats why everybody drove 10 mph over the speed limit at night here upstate?
Seriously though i am amazed at the learning curve,or lack of should say for upstate drivers here. When the sun starts to set, it is time to slow the hell down people. even 55 is far to fast on these rural routes at night. During mating season bucks are running full speed and don't care what is in the way or heading their way. I garuntee at 65 you'll be wiping venison off your hood before you even know what happened.

For out of state drivers if you have never been here slow down. There is almost a 100 percent chance you will see deer in the evening ecspecially near corn fields and grape vinyards wich is anything in NY that is not forest.
 Jewels49
Msg: 125
Haha...let's see what kind of reaction this gets...
Posted: 7/21/2009 1:25:33 AM

Hunting is 90% luck, 10% skill.

Get out of the game!

Hunting like fishing, is a science. Know your game. Know their habitat. Study their feeding patterns on different moons (this is not mumbo jumbo) the morning of a new moon will yield more pig, than at other feeding times.
I hunt feral pigs. Every part of the animal is used.
My dogs are highly trained, and purpose bred. I use "nose hounds" (bullarabs: some know these dogs as pittbulls) one seeker and one holder. The seeker picks up the scent from "ripping" found where feral pigs have been. When found, the holder, does exactly that, until I kill the pig. I do not hunt with a gun, because I use dogs. I prefer Knife, as there is less likelihood of damage to your dog and is more suited to areas of thick undergrowth. This type of hunting relies on both hunter and dogs doing their jobs.
I am invited by property owners to hunt, as the dogs are well behaved. There is NO possibility of harm to other natives and saves the owner having to bait (which, has it's own risks) Hunting is not for the faint hearted. There can be NO hesitation or you and your dogs can be killed. I have never left a dog behind. Nor have my dogs left me. This is not sport. I respect life. However, I understand the need for conservative culling. Since introduction of feral animals to Australia some of our native animals have been wiped out, due to destruction of habitat. I am one of many concerned with this, and hunting is one answer.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting? [CLOSED Thread]