Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 16
CALIF VEHICLE REGISTRATION...Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

I am a sick to death of the hippie fueled, bullsh1t liberal attitudes that everyone who has money must be inherently evil, and I am not even wealthy. It's an easy tool that they use to convince people that they cannot get ahead in this country, which is not true. Oddly, I do see people getting ahead with hard work and dedication. And nothing fuels that sort of desire to achieve, quite like having to dig a ditch or clean the steam table for a few years.

Well, I don't think it's the hippies who fueled that. It's the liberal cant, though--liberal guilt.

There's nothing odd about seeing people get ahead with hard work, dedication, and a willingness to learn on the job.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 17
CALIF VEHICLE REGISTRATION...
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:13:51 AM

There's nothing odd about seeing people get ahead with hard work, dedication, and a willingness to learn on the job.

OK, here's the hippie coming out in me. I don't like the term "get ahead." Who is it exactly that I'm supposed to get ahead of?

I like "prosper" a whole lot better. That leaves room for everyone else to prosper as well. So ... there's nothing odd about seeing people prosper with hard work, dedication, and a willingness to learn on the job.

I know, it's nit picky, but it's been bugging me. I feel much better now!
 matchlight
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:34:06 AM
We'd all do better, if not for the staggering burden the several million aliens who live in California unlawfully impose. K-12 education, welfare, food stamps, and hospital care are only the most obvious ways they cost the rest of us.

They also cost us in ways that are less obvious, but no less real--through the direct costs of more crime, and the indirect cost of insuring property against it; by decreasing property values; by the excess demand they place on roads, sewers, and other physical infrastructure; by increasing air and water pollution; and by artificially depressing the price of unskilled and semi-skilled labor. The claim illegal aliens do jobs Americans won't do ignores this last cost. If they weren't here, Americans *would* do any and all those jobs at some higher price, just as they did before.
 matchlight
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 4:06:02 PM
Mominatrix,
I agree. And yes, it is a crime for aliens to enter the U.S. and remain without the required documents. To be fair, though, I want to point out that it's what's sometimes called an "administrative" crime--sort of like operating a business without a license. That's why the usual remedy is deportation, which the Supreme Court has held is not punishment for a crime.

However, a deported alien who re-enters the U.S. is committing a federal felony. The travesty is that the government doesn't ordinarily prosecute aliens even for *this* crime, but instead just deports them again. They should be prosecuted, and if convicted (likely, since the charge seems much harder to defend against than to prove) made to serve the full sentence in a U.S. prison. Only then should the U.S. deport them a second time. If this were standard procedure, it would make most aliens stay home once deported. I'm sure that would be well worth the cost of any new prisons we might need to build.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 20
CALIF VEHICLE REGISTRATION...HUH?
Posted: 2/25/2009 11:31:33 AM
Hey Jack,

Your point is well taken that we can't work together or get creative if we're polarized.

With that being said, my offer still stands. Unfortunately, it still offends everybody:

Let's end the drug war, and use the money instead to fund the most effective means of enforcing our borders: investigating and punishing employers of illegal aliens as well as deporting those they hire.

Let's regulate and tax recreational drugs, and use the funds to mitigate the negative social consequences of the trade by funding rehab centers for those who fall into addiction. Not everyone does you know. Excess revenues could be used to fund greater access to health care.

I know I'm probably a minority of 1, but I'd back that plan and feel OK about paying my car registration knowing my government was actually doing its job.

What do you think?
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/26/2009 12:44:56 AM

The two are intertwined,the DEA just made a big bust nationwide and arrested Mexican nationals.Even if we legalized marijuana in the US thousands of Mexicans would still be killed every year.

Yes, they are intertwined. That's why I proffered the deal. If there is no market for illegal drugs in the US, the Mexican gangs will have to figure out some other way to make money because those funds will have dried up.

I say we end the drug use,without demand there will be no supply.

Hmmm ... And how exactly do we do that? Do we ... throw the functional addicts in jail and make them felons for simple possession?

Who's going to pay for that?

Any good conservative knows that if there is a demand, a supply will develop--legally or illegally. When it comes to recreational drugs, that aspect of the culture war has already been lost--like it or not. It doesn't matter how many people we jail. Like rock and roll, recreational drugs are here to stay. Not that I particularly advocate them, but as government programs go, the effort to suppress demand is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. It does not make us any safer, exacerbates crime, undermines our rights, and has made us the nation with the highest per capita prison population in the world.
 matchlight
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2009 9:21:36 PM

Get off your high horse mominatrix! You are no better than anyone else. Maybe you should be the one behind the drive up window. Then you might have a little compassion.

You're free to give as much of your own money to illegal aliens as you want. But if you think you have a right to tell anyone else to open their wallets for them, *you* are the one on the high horse. Pay for your own compassion.

The several million aliens who came to California illegally get tens of billions of dollars' worth of public services each year that the rest of us pick up the tab for. Don't like being behind that drive in window? Then get out the same way you got in. Nobody here owes any illegal alien one red cent.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/27/2009 11:36:33 AM
Nobody here owes any illegal alien one red cent.

Except the ones who employ them.

Let's enhance our state's revenue and cut costs by making the fines for employing illegal aliens substantial enough to be a real deterrent. That's the only way to effectively reduce demand for their labor and ensure that the state recovers at least some of the costs for the services those workers consume. We obviously aren't going to get much from the workers themselves.
 matchlight
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 11:41:36 AM

Your idea about chain gangs is a good one too.

And the best thing about them is that they're 100%, black-letter, legal. In fact, Congress could mandate them by federal law, if enough U.S. voters wanted it to--and even now, it would take a constitutional amendment to make chain gangs illegal.

The Thirteenth Amendment prohibits involuntary servitude within the U.S. or any place subject to U.S. jurisdiction, "except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted . . . ." The authors of the 13th Am. (effective Dec. 18, 1865) included this clause specifically to authorize chain gangs.

After the Civil War, private companies often ran them in the South. They literally used balls and chains, and sometimes they caged the prisoners at night. I think a few states use "chain gangs" today, substituting fabric cuffs and electronic monitors for the chains, and returning the prisoners to their cells each night. In at least one state, the prisoners work on state-owned farms, and the profits from the produce help pay the cost of imprisoning them.

The minimum security prison the LASD runs in Lancaster, which I've been through, holds several thousand illegal aliens waiting to be deported. Most of them also serve short sentences for misdemeanors. They lounge around, play soccer, and contribute absolutely nothing. And more than a few of these aliens are not going through this process for the first time. Many millions of dollars a year, poured down a rat hole instead of going into our take home pay.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/27/2009 12:13:09 PM
I have no problem with the requirement that people who have been duly convicted contribute by working. However, what can a prison guard do to force them to work if they refuse? Beat them? Use a Taser? Withold food? Lock them in a hole?

At what point does that rise to the level of cruel and unusual punishment? And what would it cost in the way of additional guards, not to mention the medical costs for guard who are injured on duty when inmates fight back?
 matchlight
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 12:21:43 PM

Let's enhance our state's revenue and cut costs by making the fines for employing illegal aliens substantial enough to be a real deterrent.

Ace, I agree that we should. I'd even fine the directors or officers responsible for employing them. I'm pretty sure the fact a business has incorporated under state law wouldn't shield any individual responsible for operating it from any federal crime.

When business hire illegal aliens, they really enter into unlawful agreements with them. Obviously, no one working under those conditions has any legal remedy. But it might be nice if they could anonymously turn in their employers. Current employees would have good reason not to, but not former ones.
 matchlight
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 12:28:49 PM
The states that use work gangs have obviously found the answers. BTW, it takes a LOT to violate the 8th Am. It never applied to states anyway, until the Court applied it. The bail requirement still doesn't.
 Zasraik
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/11/2009 7:56:40 PM
My motorcycle registration fee is pretty light compared to that of a car, just paid something around $68 for it last week, but ouch nonetheless
 fzrhusker
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/11/2009 11:58:51 PM
The illegal immigration by any other definition is an invasion. If any other country tried this we would go to war. Employers, illegals poor kids, who will do the jobs, what is the first thing you do when you have a water leak, you shut off the water. I have no sympathy for the illegals and I won't bite on the oh they are just coming here for a better life. Go home have a revolution and fix your own country. American born citizens are being sold down the river by the left and right so they can have there next voting block. Politicians want to make it a feel good issue and pander to who ever will get them elected and pass whatever taxes they want so they can get their next term.
Yes troops on the north and south border, mass raids and deportation and make it a miserable place for illegals. Its not a racist issue for me, its a practical issue, there is only so much money to go around. This will never happen as Obama has just signed off on the North American Union idea that Bush started.
Oh and on the immigration reform issue that it takes to long. Its supposed to so we don't get flooded by mass migration.
 OldFolkie
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 12:20:11 AM
Yep...you're right, Norty. Please feel free to leave Calfornia for Idaho as soon as possible. When you arrive try not to be too upset at all the Idahoan's with bumper stickers on their (much cheaper to register) cars/trucks that say
"Don't Californicate Idaho!!!!:"

If you doubt that kind of attitude exists in Idaho, I can most assuredly tell you that it does. I lived in Idaho for years until recently. Californians fleeing the collapsing housing bubble and CA taxes arrived in droves reminiscent of Dust Bowl Okies fleeing to CA in the 30s. I can tell you that if you advertise in any way that you are a Californian refugee, you will encounter major social problems.

Mind you, Idaho has some major issues with potholes and collapsing bridges on its highways....maybe they should raise vehicle registration fees to pay for those repairs?
Here in California, you rednecks have made it abundantly clear that you expect highway/bridge maintenance to be performed for free without taxation or fees. Good luck with that concept, and do let us know how that all works out for you in a few years.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/12/2009 12:40:12 AM
They wouldn't have to raise vehicle taxes if the 3 billion we had in the highway fund hadn't been shifted to the states general fund to help pay for the social programs and union contracts by Gray Davis. Do a little homework potato before you talk about Cali politics.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/12/2009 6:59:07 AM
Sorry couldn't help myself with the potato comment.

But if many of you recall this was one of the prime reasons Gray Davis was ousted and why we have Arnold.
 TheLimey
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 10:33:25 PM

Let's enhance our state's revenue and cut costs by making the fines for employing illegal aliens substantial enough to be a real deterrent. That's the only way to effectively reduce demand for their labor and ensure that the state recovers at least some of the costs for the services those workers consume. We obviously aren't going to get much from the workers themselves.

The current fine is $10,000 per illegal alien, per day of employment...... So if you employ 10 of em for a week thats $500,000....When was the last time you heard of anyone being prosecuted & levied with those fines?
 mamasboy069
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/28/2013 8:28:54 AM
Lotsa ppl have there hands in the cookie jar ,they need all the $ they can get to feed illegals whom r already workin an suckkenup the freebies

why buy the cow wen the milks free
ur pics r 12 yrs ole,time to change em
u can put lipstick onna pig but its still a pig
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/28/2013 12:06:32 PM
Re: #62 - The cheapest rate for 2012 was $75. It was less in 2009. I know because I two cars older than 30 years, and my property tax is only $2; the rest is all fees. I don't think I'll ever see the property tax portion fall to $1 or even zero.

Re: #65 -
The illegal immigration by any other definition is an invasion.
Wrong: By every definition.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/3/2013 3:28:54 PM
^^^^

The post you replied to is almost 4 years old so check back in early 2017 for your answer. Odd that you guys replied to such an old thread, you must search for topics related to immigration and taxes so you can do your propaganda thing.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/3/2013 4:57:40 PM
^^^^^^
Wotta busybody.
Folks who mind their own business have less conflict w/ others, you best learn this while you can.
 j_ff_ray
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:25:50 PM
I found it amusing that you guys dug up 4 year old comments and replied to them, is that so wrong? :)
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/4/2013 10:41:11 AM
Doesn't mean the topic is dead or no longer applies.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/4/2013 12:45:45 PM
^^^^^^
Come on now, Paul, you KNOW it's the right thing to do. The cities and counties have proven that they cannot manage their finances, and the state has hundreds of billions in unfunded liabilities, AND we need to save up money to help out our coming wave of amnestee's, don't we? Who will help us, the Federal Government? Puh-leeze, , , that's not even funny.
And is there something wrong with being the #1 state in welfare cases? Heck, no other state is even CLOSE. When we get to heaven I'm sure there will be a soft comfy spot reserved for those of us who have shouldered this burden.
Show ALL Forums  > California  >