Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FL CO
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How to keep the perfume smell on you? Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

That's what I do. And I will spray a small amount on 'pulse points'...but only a bit. Nothing worse than walking around smelling like a perfume factory. Subtlety is underrated.

I went to pay my car insurance the other day and a lady was pulling in the same time I was. As soon as she stepped out of her car I could smell it, and it filled the whole insurance office. I don't know if she was trying to attract someone or cover another smell up
 Got Trance
Msg: 28
How to keep the perfume smell on you?
Posted: 11/30/2009 5:11:54 PM

I had a lady friend that had a tattoo of a sea shell high up of her inner thigh.

When you place your ear on it , you could actually smell the ocean!

The mental image of that is hilarious!

Back on Topic.
Just a dab will do ya.
Keep that in mind people.
 OneBlend
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2009 3:46:52 PM
Worried about an alcohol based perfume? LOL .. it gets better.

Facts About Fragrances
http://ezinearticles.com/?Scents-Dont-Make-Sense---Most-Fragrance-is-Made-From-Petrochemicals-and-is-Dangerous-to-Your-Health&id=1450750

At least 1 person in every 5 gets sick from breathing scented products that others wear
The National Academy of Sciences, (a US Government agency), says that scented products are "toxic to the brain"
The AMA, the EPA and the American Lung Association (ALA) all agree that fragrances can make asthma and respiratory problems worse
Even the U.S. Fragrance Association (an organization that promotes fragrances) recommends that scented products only be used if they are not detectable at an arm's length distance away
When you are smelling the scent, you are breathing in the chemicals. So if someone is close to you and can smell the fragrance from your scented laundry detergent or perfume, they (and you!) are breathing in the chemicals
Petrochemical compounds, which are in most scented products, can enter the body through the skin
Adverse reactions caused by fragrances include headaches, migraines, sinus problems, sore and hoarse throat, lung and throat swelling and asthma reactions
Scented products, including perfumes, laundry detergents, dryer sheets and more can stick to clothes and your body throughout the day, and still cause reactions in others hours after you put them on
In fact, laundry detergents with fragrances are designed to be long lasting, and hence release chemicals all day long. These scents can and do remain even after several washings for many weeks
Fabric softener is made specifically to stick to clothes, but it does often flake off as you wear it, and these flakes can irritate the airways of people with allergies, sinus congestion, asthma and more
Many fragrances contain chemicals that were made to change your mood. This means that they can and do change the chemicals in your brain.
The chemicals from synthetic fragrances can also make it harder for you to pay attention or concentrate, to remember things and to think clearly
The term air freshener is really misleading. First of all, fresh air does not have an odor, second of all, adding another chemical to the air to try to cover the smell does not make that air more fresh, it actually makes it more toxic
According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, most people with asthma react to synthetic fragrance exposure and experience a reduction in lung function.

I prefer soap and water and it works too! .. no need to support an unregulated industry.
 Got Trance
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/1/2009 5:08:56 PM

I agree that the best fragrances are the ones that you can't smell when wearing them, but others can

This makes no scents at all.
If you can't smell it on yourself then how do you know to buy it.
Anyway, the only reason you do not smell it is cause after five minutes you got used to it.
Just like people that live in a really smelly house, they are so accustom to the odor they no longer notice it.
Like the old saying goes, "You can't smell your own funk."

OneBlend,
That's a great article.
 junipermoon
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2009 5:28:33 PM
i have chemical sensitivities, and synthetic fragrances make me gag.

i sometimes use an aromatic blend that i make myself. i use extra virgin olive oil as a carrier and use pure essential oils. no solvents. one really nice blend is frankincense, lavender and patchouli. cedar and vetiver are really nice too. i dip a cotton ball in the oil, then dab it on my wrists and temples. sometimes i carry the cotton ball in my pocket and hold it over my nose when in the vicinity of a foul-smelling co-worker!
 OneBlend
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2009 7:33:56 PM
"eau de toilettes" and that's exactly where the stuff belongs ..
 Eternal Standby
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:14:20 PM
Agree with raxarsr...to a point. This thread caught my eye because it was about fragrance. Have you tried going fragrance free?

When you see the word fragrance (parfum) found in products that indicates that it is a man made chemical.
Raxarsr is right....people complain about smoke but rarely a word about perfume, cologne or other scented personal care products (unless you live in Nova Scotia where it is becoming more widely acknowledged and accepted that chemicals found perfumes (well, fragranced products period...including scented laundry detergent, fabric softeners, febreeze etc.) are known carcinogenics and can wreak havoc on those with asthma, allergies and Environmental illness. Imagine, if you will, how difficult it would be for a person with asthma to sit in a room with a smoker, smoking away oblivious to the suffering s/he is causing the other person. The same analogy can be used for sitting in a room full of perfume. It hurts!

A typical human, that does not practice fragrance free choices, has a plethora of "fragrances" on each day. Start with your shower - shampoo and conditioner one scent. Soap, another scent. Deoderant , another scent. Hand creams-yet another scent. Perfume/aftershave or cologne...yet another scent. Mix all that with your scented "rain fresh" laundry detergent and your Bounce or Fleecy or what ever petroleum by product you are using to "soften" your clothes and control static.....the end result is so completely over whelming to many.

Why not consider fragrance free alternatives...better for you-better for the environment!!

ps. Dryer tip. Use a sheet of tin foil rolled into loose ball (about 10"-12"). The ball will continue to compact - use same ball for several loads. This controls static and is environmentally sound.
 Eternal Standby
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:17:48 PM
Agree with raxarsr...to a point. This thread caught my eye because it was about fragrance. Have you tried going fragrance free?

When you see the word fragrance (parfum) found in products that indicates that it is a man made chemical.
Raxarsr is right....people complain about smoke but rarely a word about perfume, cologne or other scented personal care products (unless you live in Nova Scotia where it is becoming more widely acknowledged and accepted that chemicals found perfumes (well, fragranced products period...including scented laundry detergent, fabric softeners, febreeze etc.) are known carcinogenics and can wreak havoc on those with asthma, allergies and Environmental illness. Imagine, if you will, how difficult it would be for a person with asthma to sit in a room with a smoker, smoking away oblivious to the suffering s/he is causing the other person. The same analogy can be used for sitting in a room full of perfume. It hurts!

A typical human, that does not practice fragrance free choices, has a plethora of "fragrances" on each day. Start with your shower - shampoo and conditioner one scent. Soap, another scent. Deoderant , another scent. Hand creams-yet another scent. Perfume/aftershave or cologne...yet another scent. Mix all that with your scented "rain fresh" laundry detergent and your Bounce or Fleecy or what ever petroleum by product you are using to "soften" your clothes and control static.....the end result is so completely over whelming to many.

Why not consider fragrance free alternatives...better for you-better for the environment!!

ps. Dryer tip. Use a sheet of tin foil rolled into loose ball (about 10"-12"). The ball will continue to compact - use same ball for several loads. This controls static and is environmentally sound.
 Eternal Standby
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2009 3:36:45 PM
As an alternative to fragranced dryer sheets....

About 10 inches of Tinfoil, balled into a loose ball and thrown into the dryer will eliminate static. Reuse the tinfoil ball until it becomes so compact it no longer does the trick (about 10 loads).

Of course, hanging your clothes on the line is a better alternative to using a dryer
 melly691976
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/5/2009 4:34:50 AM
I agree with you completely.....some womens perfumes are overbearing, and walking past a lady that is wearing a perfume that will knock you off your feet isnt nice at all.....

Another point to make is some women just cant wear a particulare fragrance, because of the chemical compounds in theyre skin....For example I cant wear Chloe, because it smells like a toilet lolly on me.....not pretty at all........but I can wear Britanny Spears, Curious. Wearing baby oil on my skin before i put on perfume helps the fragrance to hang around longer.....
 SexyKG74
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 1:47:58 AM
Also, factor in whether you have oily or dry skin. For the most part, if you have oily skin, fragrances will stay with you longer, so use less.

I love fragrances and the whole layering thing! But I keep in mind the strength of the product when deciding how much I layer. My favorite ones:

Every day fragrances for the office or running errands:
Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom or the regular Cherry Blossom: These two fragrances have been voted the best fragrances within the non-luxury category for years. I wear the body lotion and will spritz a little of the splash on my clothing. if I wear it at night especially during colder temps, I will use the shower gel or bubble bath as well.

Special occasion and winter fragrance: Angel by Thierry Mugler
I only buy the body cream. I get compliments EVERY time I wear it, but beware, especially if you have oily skin..it can be strong. When I get out of the shower, I mix this with my favorite unscented lotion, you just need a little of the Angel. I only wear this fragrance when it is below 50 degrees. Men will literally stop me on the street when I wear this. I CANNOT WEAR THIS DURING SUMMER MONTHS OR IN HUMID WEATHER!

D & G Light Blue: I only buy the lotion and will mix a little with the unscented lotion. I tend to wear this from November to April...it's a nice scent but can be strong. I have a friend who has dry skin...she can wear the lotion (without toning it down with unscented lotion) and she can wear this year round without being over powering...I can't because of the oily skin.)

Burberry Weekend: this fragrance was popular during the 1990s, but I didn't discover it until department stores discontinued it. I will find it in NYC at discount fragrance markets and TJ Maxx & Marshalls will sometimes receive shipments of the body lotion...or I get it when I'm in Asia or Europe. If I see the lotion, I will buy several bottles! Burberry Summer is also a pretty fragrance, but I wish they had it in lotion form.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 5:40:35 AM
I saw this in a magazine ad for perfume and it works.....Try furiously scratching the area you applied the perfume to. Releases the scent but unfortunately repels the very people you're trying to attract.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 8:26:49 AM
"Poison" perfume was truly poisonous. A little less so now.
http://greenlagirl.com/poison-perfume-now-less-poisonous/

OneBlend was correct in pointing out the toxic waste that people purposely put on their bodies that also contaminate their friends, families and co-workers. There have been some excellent alternatives posted here. Please give your loved ones and others a break, do your research, and decide if the smell is worth the health effects on not just you, but others exposed to you.
http://www.ewg.org/files/SafeCosmetics_FragranceRpt.pdf
 NtvNtv
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/13/2013 9:26:07 PM
Mm..... I luv perfume.

Lady Million or Coco Chanel.......Luv it.

Spray a small amount on your neck and wrist....lasts all day : )
 raxarsr
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2013 9:27:59 AM
no....tinfoil cant spark.......its aluiminium
 NtvNtv
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/14/2013 1:10:03 PM
Poison..........is just that...poison...too over powering.

Lacoste.....nah....that's mosquito repellent.

D'lssey....never heard, will check it out.
 April1963
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/14/2013 6:02:16 PM

The best way to do this is to 'layer' the scents... that's what perfume kits are for.....

True!!

I use Estee Lauder// Knowing perfume spray together with the body lotion,I've used this Perfume Spray and lotion for 15 years And I still love it.I have many anecdotes because this perfume and lotion.
Last week I was in Walmart and a lady came up to me and said:
Mrs,my husband would like to know the name of the perfume you are wearing.He wants to give it to me as a gift because he likes the smell.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2013 11:46:38 AM
Ah well not exactly a perfume story but a scent none the less.
In the heady days of 1992 i had been living and working in london
for 4 years and just coming up the road about every 4th weekend
to see the wife and my lassie (i was earning a £100 a day then and here
i am 21 years later earning £80 a day)'.
I was living in hackney and working in chelsea so the tube was a must.
After a day of grafting, sweating, grafting and sweating more you can imagine
that we did not smell to pleasant at shifts end.
Tube to earls court then Piccadilly line to manor house.
Now the tube was always rammed. So when we got to the stop where harrods is
it was a scenario sardines would complain about overcrowding.
Poor lassies from harrods got on and had to stand beside us. Alas our sweaty
oxters (scots word for armpit) were roughly beside their noses.
The look of abject terror and misery at being in close proximity to oxters with
sweat drippingof them was a joy to behold.
And before you ask there was no washing facilitys on site and deoderant seemed
to go sour.

I still chuckle when i see someone sweating profusely.
I could have been wealthy if only i had brought a fragerance out that was unique
to harrods.

OXTER
THE NEW FRAGRANCE FOR MEN
BY THE HOUSE OF DRACUL
 Rainiqui
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2013 11:52:55 AM
Thanks, Vlad - I now have coffee all over my screen.... maybe next time give a warning? Too funny....
 CharminC
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/18/2013 1:04:33 PM
I only wear Vanilla scented oil from the Body Shop. A spritz on the wrist and head (hair).
I can still faintly smell it on my wrist after spraying it 4 hrs ago today. I like that, where you don't smell it until you get close so I know I'm not offending anyone but if I'm hugged, it's noticed. I'm always complimented on it.
For special occasions, I'll layer it with a scent that is appropriate to the occasion and season. I have Sex'ual, Beautiful and Jlo Glow. I'm not big on buying many, just a select few.
 Vannili
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2013 11:11:53 PM
I spray perfume Anais Anais on my jeans crotch and Heno De Pravia Agua De Colonia on my arms after bath.

now a days most people are allergic to perfume, so I use my collection of perfumes for my bathroom spray.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >