Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 126
Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.Page 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I tend to tilt the age scale more on the 5 years younger than me side,as opposed to 5 years older...but that's just me!
Guess I want to be the one with the most wrinkles! :)
 Sunshinelady555
Msg: 127
Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.
Posted: 4/14/2012 6:16:02 AM
Most wise men have come to their senses to know many younger women do not want a Old man for obvious reasons!
When I was a young woman; no way would I want a Old man. lol Now, I am Older I still find them to be a bit
slow for me. lol
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2012 11:30:56 AM
^^^^Younger men have their limits also, and you could be running out of options.....but there is always "Duracell" to the rescue! LOL
 altotermite
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/14/2012 12:55:22 PM
I sure do. I can only relate to women my own age bracket. I would like to find someone my own age. But it's very difficult for me to find her>
 thelastdance51
Msg: 130
Posted: 4/17/2012 2:08:59 PM
I could never date anyone outside of my age bracket (5o-70)
I truely appreciate older women.
Thing is I'm not on POF to date...I want a true,honest ,deep relationship but many of the gals I meet give me mixed signals...theywant to date.they really don't know what they want etc..
Because of my work schedule I have found that gals in my age bracket are unwilling to make adjustments.I've been told that they have had to make concessions in their younger years to accomodate their partner..
I 've always went by the saying 'if you want somthing bad enough ,you' will make it work'.I'm more than willing to
change my schedule from time to time...but I can't drastically alter it.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 131
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:22:16 PM
Well, Neil Diamond who is 71 just married a 42 year old. Seems about right to me.
 northwoods57
Msg: 132
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:39:31 PM
agree! perhaps we are scared of the young ones, becuase they carry baggage.
too young is eye candy, or looking at their cell phone every 30 seconds. It get boring.
 ladyc4
Msg: 133
Posted: 4/22/2012 2:21:51 PM

I 've always went by the saying 'if you want somthing bad enough ,you' will make it work'.I'm more than willing to
change my schedule from time to time...but I can't drastically alter it.

Even though it would seem like over 60 would have lots of wiggle room in their schedules-I think that quite often folks that age -of both genders- have schedules that they cannot drastically alter! It isn't just men-and while women may SAY that they are rebounding from "having to make concessions in their younger years"-I think a lot of them simply don't have that much "wiggle room" in their schedules,and rather than having to explain and defend their personal business to somebody they barely know,they prefer to speak in generalities.

Not everyone-both genders- over 60 is leading a life of comfortable,leisurely retirement. Many are still working, many are providing logistical support to adult children and their families( babysitting, making sure that school children get safely on and off the schoolbus,etc).looking after elderly parents, many are involved in entreprenuerial pursuits, small businesses, are committed volunteers that they can't just "drastically alter"-regardless of their gender.
I have noticed-in my experiences and observations-that there still seems to be a holdover presumption on the part of some men, that women are only working/volunteering/pursuing entrepreneurial and business interests as a "fill-in" while they wait for a man to "pick" them-and when a man shows interest, the woman should just drop everything and comply to HIS life.
I am not saying this in anger , making any attempt bash men,or to suggest that this is a wilful malfeasance being done by some men. I honestly believe that when this issue comes up, it is more the result of the social conditioning that was more relevant and reasonable when these over-60 men were younger and courting to obtain a spouse and raise a family. When it comes to dating and relationships at 60 and over( lets' allow some lee-way down to maybe age 55 because a lot of people do not rigidly insist on dating only their own age or OLDER) it has now shifted to companionship and enhancement of one another's lives, it's no longer about a powerful drive to pair-bond ,reproduce,and raise offspring.
Many over-55 people of both genders "can't drastically alter" their schedules! It becomes a matter of 2 people finding ONE ANOTHER and working things out because they want very much to be a couple in whatever configuration makes the best sense to both of them. And quite often I think that rather than going into specific details or making a philosophical stand on principle, women simply say that they had their fill of compromising and accomodating spouses and children when they were younger. In many cases there is a basis of validity in that position. But I also think it is used to avoid having to go into explanations and then be "instructed" how to manage her life.
JMHO.
Cindy O
 summerjoy59
Msg: 134
Posted: 6/8/2013 10:00:59 PM
Sure I'm also looking the same ages like me ! I'm looking for a man over 60 !
 or_current_resident
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/9/2013 8:32:49 AM

Older people do tend to also be more careful about everything, even those that are considered risk takers in their 60s are still taking a lot less risk than when they were 30.

True, risk equals fear and in that fear is not in anyone's mind or mo now. Age or not! As for myself usually tens years give or take, with having similar core values works for me. Yet we both having different personalities is the spice of life we both admire in each other.
And when its comes to the affairs of the heart after a certain age, or from past life experiences for sure. So Age does make you set in your ways. Does it or does it always have too?

I haven't been here long but its amazing what people will say and use or use in order why they can't take that chance again in dating, maybe even to fall in love or some other crazy thing that might happen to you as in getting older.
When you have such enormous amounts of defenses or excuses, in why you can't or won't, then your success rate of getting any chances that it would or could, diminishes greatly.
Whether it be people with ages over 45 or over 60, most live the 'comfort zone' lives of their remaining years, and this for most, runs 'this last holding pattern' of your age or mindset. jmo
 ladyc4
Msg: 136
Posted: 6/9/2013 9:49:37 AM

I think you are just saying people over 60 are more likely to be rigid.

No, I actually believe I'm saying they are more SECURE.
They no longer feel pressured to "prove" their validity by being half of a couple. That becomes an option. For the most part, I find people over 60 who feel like they have to be half of a couple for social validation, economic survival, or to gve their lives meaning and direction, to be rather sad cases.
I am also delighted when I see 2 reasonably stable and secure over-60s forge a partnership that works well.

If you are going to assign a lable of "more rigid" to folks over 60, I got news for you.
Nobody in the US and most other "first world" countries HAVE TO do anything but die(and pay taxes, lol).
I've seen unending threads by people of younger years complaining that their contemporaries have no time to date, or that they put their children first, or they work too many hours.
So shouldn't we be saying younger people are more rigid, and that they could "fix" their rigidity by cutting work hours-or quitting, and let the taxpayers supprt their kids? That they could be less "rigid" by ceding physical custody of kids to the kids' other parent? I under stand some states found themselves in a huge mess with the "safe haven" laws,becausse no uppper age limit was stipulated, parents were dropping TEENAGERS at fire/police stations and hospitals.
Trust me, there are people over 60 who do NOT regard their volunteer work, their entreprenurial activies, their support-system functions ( for kids,grandkids, friends,neighbors,elderly parents or causes they care about) as some kind of "option" or time-filler. Any more than younger adults regard their jobs, children, caring for their homes, furthering their educations as "options" or "time-fillers"
I'm sorry, but to me, suggesting that people over 60 can just blow off anything they are doing to engage in some sort of "pair-bonding for social validity" is a form of ageism, and while I KNOW that this is certainly not your intent, it could be seen as such.
I will not argue that older people may be more cautious. The simple and unavoidable fact is, a person over 60 may have a lot less time and sometimes considerably less other resources to correct/recover from an act of bad judgement or even a completely honest error in managing their lives, be that social, financial, a business decision...
Cindy O
 Debyduz_
Msg: 137
Posted: 6/9/2013 9:55:27 AM
I have a feeling the choice is not ours as we get older.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 138
Posted: 6/17/2013 8:25:36 AM
From what I see & hear, many men 60+ insist on women 10-20 years younger than them, but many end up hanging out w/ their buddies as the younger women can choose from a larger age category.

I am finding that behaviors of people online/looking online greatly differs from those who meet socially/offline. Just going by physical presence, rather than a bunch of arbitrary boxes that are clicked off. When we date from in rreal life, we don't have to worry about do they look like their picture, etc. You've already met!

If a man or woman cannot attract a person in real life, what makes them think they can do it online? You have to meet face to face sooner or later!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2013 9:12:13 AM
If you go by this site, the number of older women participating falls off dramatically after mid-50s, so if you are older than that,
you pretty well have to look at younger women, whether you want to or not. Otherwise, you might as well stick to real life.

Of course men prefer women in their age group.....groan......
 or_current_resident
Msg: 140
Posted: 6/17/2013 4:51:14 PM

The simple and unavoidable fact is, a person over 60 may have a lot less time and sometimes considerably less other resources to correct/recover from an act of bad judgement or even a completely honest error in managing their lives, be that social, financial, a business decision...

We may be older but not at a higher risk rate in what you just said, in not by now having our house in order lol
imo if your older then 55 or so, man or women, your house should be well in order, kids on there own ,no mortgage or outstanding debt, investments & or pension is there to live those golden years quite nicely.
Yet if y'all have excuses in why not then I can see why nothing positive will ever come of that thought.....

Going by this site, the opposite is true.

There are more women than men over 54 wanting to date.

I am not here to date, but if when you look at all the replies on the forums, it is like 80% men vs 20% women.
Not sure if that means it's up to the man or they just out number the gals that much here.

So I can see why the balance for people who are here to date or what ever they are here for, would be on the ladies side all day long. And if you take take into real time[emotionally avail] the % of that is even be much less imo.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2013 9:37:04 AM
I don't see that here.....the men are older, and want to date younger, and won't even consider a woman in their own age range even if she looks 20 years younger than him.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 142
Posted: 6/20/2013 9:58:06 AM
I agree with blacklady1953 . I find the older the men are, the bigger they want that age gap.
 Like2dance
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2013 2:46:10 PM
As an experiment I posted a profile with no photo on a "mature" dating site for folks in their fifties and above. Unlike on other sites in my experience over 90% of the women I send a "flirt" or a "like your photo" to respond, almost always within a day, usually within hours. Unbelievable! They are also sending unsolicited flirts to me, literally chomping at the bit to meet men.

likeoutings
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2015 3:24:52 PM
I notice the majority of women want a man about ten years their junior. I wonder why???
 Seki1949
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2015 10:30:24 PM

Well, Neil Diamond who is 71 just married a 42 year old. Seems about right to me.

Neil just made a young woman and her lawyer very, very rich. He will be doing final farewell tours until he has two feet in the grave.
 sealady111
Msg: 146
Posted: 9/12/2015 12:46:40 AM
Nope..

My experience of men in their 50's and 60's is they want significantly younger.
Often Asian mail order brides.

The streets are filled with older men with younger Asian wives pushing prams.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 147
Posted: 9/12/2015 5:02:58 AM

Often Asian mail order brides.

I think that's a false assumption (mail order brides) and maybe you notice these men more than the routine couple. They stick out in your mind.

A lot of this is about the USA, but it does touch on Australia as well. But on a personal note, the predominate nationality of western men I met in Thailand were from Australia or Briton. I think it's just easier for people to travel from Australia.

How Many Mail-Order Brides?

(BTW, Funny quote, likely not funny to everyone.

"Heaven is having a Japanese wife, a Chinese cook, a British country home and an American salary. Hell, on the other hand, is having a Chinese salary, a British cook, a Japanese house and an American wife."

Gary Clark, An Introduction to the "Penpal Bride" )

Some interesting stats from the analysis / article.

- There are, then, around 10,000 marriages a year between women listed by these agencies and men who use the service; i.e., 10,000 mail-order marriages a year.

- Of these 10,000, around 4,000 involve U.S. men. The remainder is distributed among Canadian, Australian, European and, increasingly, Japanese clients.

- An analysis of the listings in recent issues of five popular catalogs featuring 1,400 Asian women found that 70 percent were Filipino (despite the fact that Republic act No. 6955 makes such listings illegal), many of whom are "in-service" as domestic workers in other countries, 16 percent Indonesian, 8 percent Thai, 2 percent Malaysian and Japanese, and 1 percent Chinese and Korean. In terms of age, 20 percent are 16-20 years of age, 41 percent are 21-25, 24 percent are 26-30, 11 percent 31-35, and just 4 percent over the age of 35.

- Between 1989 and 1994, 95,000 Filipino men and women were engaged to be married to foreigners, the great majority of whom met their partners through work or personal introductions. Of the foreign men who marry Filipinos, 44 percent are U.S. citizens. Of the foreign men who marry Filipinos, 44 percent are U.S. citizens.

- Many sources suggest that the women are searching for a "better life" in terms of socio-economic factors — they do, for the most part, come from places in which jobs and educational opportunities for women are scarce and wages are low. However, when the women themselves are asked this question, the answer generally indicates an attraction to American men (they look like movie stars) and an aversion to native men. Americans, they say, "make good husbands" while Filipino (Thai / Indonesian / Russian / etc.) men do not. Americans are thought to be faithful and kind to their wives, while the native men are cruel and run around with other women. True or not, this is the perception.

- On the women's side, many of them are seeking Western men since, they say, Taiwanese men want to marry only hard-working, obedient drudges while Taiwanese women have discarded this traditional role and are seeking equality and mutual respect in marriage.

- Clearly, an annual figure of 4,000 to 5,000 new Americans arriving via the "mail-order bride" route is a small figure compared to total immigration of more than one million.

- Compared to the 40,000 to 50,000 annual marriages between Americans and foreign nationals where the couple met through other means (friends, travel, military, workplace, etc.), the "mail-order bride" source of new Americans is small.

http://cis.org/MailOrderBrides
I
t's a good article, and matches my own experience, though I have never considered joining a mail order bride site, I just don't like the whole idea of it.

The biggest take away for me, while everyone likes to talk about mail order brides, the percentage of marriages is very small.

There are about : 2,118,000 in the USA per year, 40,000 - 50,000 involve foreign nationals, and only 4-5,000 are mail order brides.

That's 0.20% of the total marriages in the USA are mail order brides. I was say they are pretty rare to find in the USA.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 148
Posted: 9/12/2015 5:11:42 AM
^^^ While I think mail order brides are rare, like 0.20%, I do think given totally free access, many men in their 60s will select a woman much younger than them.

I think women would do the same, but not as extreme an age difference.

I say this from observing many Western / Asian couples in Asia. I guess about 1 in 15 have a SO that appears to be similar age.

But it's a biased obvervation, since this only represents men willing to live in a foreign country. Not the typical Western male who remains in the USA. Maybe that's a big reason those men live there.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 149
Posted: 9/12/2015 6:01:02 AM
Men want younger women.

At 48, I'd be happy to find a cool guy in his 60's. But no one bites. I don't seem to cut it for anyone. I have no issue with someone 20 years older than me but no one approaches me. I am WILLING to connect, but there is no willingness from men, of any age. Weird.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2015 6:11:24 AM

I want lots of things. Wanting, and getting are about as far apart as the opposite sides of the world. I find it easier to to appreciate what I have, and be thankful for it.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.