Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Hams~
Msg: 3
view profile
History
St George's Day Parade...Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
As the 2 posters before me stated St Georges day is England's national day NOT Britains

Britain is made up of 4 countries...England,Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland.

There are many politicans in the Labour party Gov who are anti English but the
reason that England's national day is not celebrated isnt because its seen as racist.

Hopefully the campaigns going on to make it a national holiday in England will be successfull....
 Talk4England
Msg: 4
view profile
History
St George's Day Parade...
Posted: 3/1/2009 9:36:26 AM
Could never understand the choice of St. George as the English national saint. What connection or relevance. Bit like our hero worship of Richard the Lionheart , who hated this country. Thats history, myths , legends and religion for you.

MayDay has more relevance for me.

Even though my mother is Irish & my father was Anglo-Scottish
Would rather see a single UK day than split the countries up. Our nation is the UK.
(Flame me , I know)

Should we have Devon, Berkshire , Yorkshire etc days too ??
 Talk4England
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2009 2:43:01 PM

No Britain is made up of two countries, England and Wales

Since when?

Agree with your Great Britain=ESW (its the island they sit in) but what basis for Britain=E+W ?
 Talk4England
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2009 3:31:34 PM
So where was the The Antonine Wall if the Romans province of Britannia never included any of Scotland.
By your reckoning it shouldn,t include Wales either because some of that held out too.

All this is moot anyway because originally the Romans used the word for the whole island (once Albion) before they failed to conquer it totally when it then became a reference to their occupied territories - not England & Wales.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2009 2:15:42 AM
News paper report

Sandwell Council pulls St George's Parade funding over extremist fears
Feb 13 2009

One of England's largest St George's Day parades is set to be called off after Sandwell Council withdrew its funding because the event attracted extremist elements.

Understandable but surely every parade for every occasion has the potential to attract extremist views from either side ...

I've heard a local business man is prepared to stump up the cash to ensure the parade goes ahead... Let's see if the council allows it or if they come up with some other fabricated reason for cancelling...
 pantsonfire
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2009 5:33:10 AM
Msg 47, having a belief in God and being a practicing Christian do not always mean the same thing...

I believe in God, I believe in living my life in a Christian manner (Not to the letter before anyone comes out with some trumped up laws I've broken by not sacrificing my first born or by eating roast parsnips n the 2nd Sunday of the month!!) ..

It might not be obvious to others that I believe in God but it doesn't make it any less true to me...

So yes, you may say the majority of this country aren't 'practicing' Christians but I would imagine there are a great many Britons who's belief is a private and personal thing and not something that requires advertising to the hordes...

St George's day should be celebrated. If it attracts extremists, then it is our responsibility to take it back off them....

America has Independence day, Australia has Australia day, France has Bastille day, so why shouldn't we have St Georges day? A day of national pride and unity

Let us make the cross of St George a thing of positivity and pride once more...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >