Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 slim10022
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
And thats how Whatten in nottinghamshire used to be .
Looks like they just moved it up the road so i can be even nicer for them .
Dont foget your paying for it like me in your taxes .
 Warrencraig
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 3/3/2009 1:43:27 PM
All prisons need to be basic IMO. No luxurys. You should have to work to earn the privilege to watch TV for a limited time.

There was a similar article in the Sun today showing a prisoners cell full of tons of luxury goods, TV, etc.

Prison is about PUNISHMENT as well as rehabilitation.
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 10/22/2009 1:31:52 PM

They had a gym better than any one we could have afforded to join, even though my ex was on a very good wage at the time.
How much was your BF earning, minimum wage? For £30 per month you can get a gym membership to any state of the art gym in Manchester City Centre.

maybe my daughter should have just got herself a stint inside ...she could have done her degree for free and not have to worry about rent, food, bills or crippling debt!
A good idea in theory, however, your daughter would probably be have doing a prison sentence of 8 years + or even a life sentence to be able to undertake a degree.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 10/22/2009 7:07:08 PM
sorry but rehabilitatation and retraining is NOT enough.

serious criminals thier behaviour is ingrained. You might well be able to give them skills to choose a legitimate job but when crime pays, and it does, they will choose crime every time.

Why work really hard for your money when you can go on the rob, collect your dole and have more cash in your pocket and time to do what you want???

Sure rehab works with drug addicts if you get to the root cause of addiction (and hence the need to commit crime in the first place)

but for other criminals, get much beyond 20 years old and it becomes ingrained in thier belief system that is ok to steal etc. Sadly you will very unlikely be able to change thier core beleif system without extensive long term therapy that is not available to them. Plus there is the problem of getting the prisoner to willingly engage in therapy.

so if you cant always change thier thought process's then you can only effect thier behaviour.

the only way to change thier behaviour is to limit thier choices. Make the consequences of thier crime a severe punnishment AND give them skills for getting a real job,

That way they can make a choice. Chances are if the punnishment is severe enough then they will only reoffend once.

unless they are of course so mentally damaged they cant help themselves. In which case they should be detained indefinitely to protect the public.

The 3 strikes system in the USA would be useful here.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 10/22/2009 7:27:54 PM
to add again...

remand needs to be totally different than mainstream prison. You are after all innocent until proven guilty and restrictions during remand should be minimum necessary to ensure you still turn up at court (ie the point of remand - stop you running) so just restriction of freedom.
 MOOSHAK
Msg: 54
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 10/23/2009 2:38:45 PM
and i was surpriz why the crime is going up so fast.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 10/23/2009 5:03:15 PM

They can have as many wide screen TVs as they like but it won't strip away the endemic bullying and brutality that exists within the prison system.

I know quite a few people whove been in prison as well as mentored/helped others whove been in system.

In my experience its only the first time offenders and the non-hardened criminals who have a hard time in prison and think its an aweful expereince.

The hardened criminals/career criminals dont think its that hard at all. Yes theres an element of adjustment to a new environment but also for many hardened criminals the brutality and bullying in prison is no worse than in thier communities outside.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 10/24/2009 9:58:03 PM
Taking away thier liberty pretty obviously doesnt work does it????

Its not a severe enough punnishment if people reoffend. Sure theres some people with underlying psychological problems who just cant help it and wont change...

but with everyone else they just need a combination of appropriate rehabilitation/education to give them a choice other than crime, and punnishment to deter them from the "easy" option of going back to crime. Ultimately the theorys that simple.

make prison so horrible for everyone that theyd rather be on the dole below the breadline than committing crime and ending up in prison again. Theyll soon learn then!!!
 Warrencraig
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Cushy Prisons
Posted: 11/7/2009 8:23:19 PM
Considering it costs £28486 to imprison someone for a year i dont see how the "forced labour" arguement holds true.

Would be very easy to say they are working off thier debt for living costs. Gets round that pathetic aspect of the human rights convention.

pay them £0.50 an hour or something eqaully pathetic into an account available on release. That way it can be used both as a punnishment and provide a small amount of cash to set themselves up when they leave (especially important for those with no homes to go to, otherwise crime becomes immediately appealing again)

Doesnt have to be "breaking rocks" as some have said. how about assembling wheelchairs, renewing rubbers on crutches etc, make handmade furniture, wooden packing crates etc. I would say making post sacks but machines do that far better these days!!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >