Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 armaegis
Msg: 24
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have a female friend who is on both pof and one of the other paid sites, and she says that in general she has better luck with the paid site. It's not that the people are necessarily of higher quality, but there's less "crap" on the paid sites. Sure there are still idiots and dogs looking for a quick lay, but there's fewer of them.

The internet already allows anonymity and subsequent jackassery to the masses, but the lowest common denominators would rather do it for free.
 susan_cd
Msg: 25
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:48:20 AM
Like I said in an earlier post, do you get your $$ back if you aren't successful in finding someone?
 JustKeepSmiling
Msg: 26
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/9/2009 12:28:21 PM
Yesterday, I received an email from "Bigfish", who apparently is Markus... I never realized he had a profile page as well as BEING the Big Fish in the pond.

The subject line was: Free Serious Member Upgrade

Markus wrote:

" You have been a member for a long time you have a good reputation and you have been seriously looking for someone. As thanks for supporting the site for so long I am going to give you a free serious member profile upgrade for a year!

Try it for a week or so and let me know how it works out! You can see what the upgrade does here! Do not order it as you already have it for free.

Markus."
=====

Sure enough, of a sudden my profile shows the yellow sunburst, on my profile page where ads used to be, beside my thumbnail when it shows anywhere, beside my profile name in an email sent... and apparently when I show in someone's search results my info will be in a gold field rather than the usual blue field.

How do I feel about this? Like I'm being used as an unwitting schill in this scheme. I did not "jump on board" to look "serious". In fact, I had written on my profile in January that I am currently not looking. I had left my profile up, since I have made many friends here, and brought many friends TO this site. We drop update notes to one another.

I was even compelled to write to my special man , let him know that NO, I did NOT pay to look Special to prospects on this site.

For now, I am reading and investigating how others are reacting to this -- but I think it will not be much longer before I hit "reply" on Markus' email, to let him know, "Thanks... but No Thanks."

Anyone else get "gifted" this way?
 armaegis
Msg: 28
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/11/2009 12:05:46 PM
I wonder what proportion of free upgrades has gone to men/women.
 Lucette325
Msg: 29
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/11/2009 8:55:46 PM
Let The Fish Swim Free!
 MsTree
Msg: 32
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/13/2009 4:52:42 PM
This is the same thing I was asking about. So, if I don't pay means I am not serious? What a crock. NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS.
 susan_cd
Msg: 36
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 6/18/2009 1:37:59 PM
They tried something similar on the somespamsite site a while back; changed it so you had to be a paying member to view other people's webcams.

The change lasted about 1 week, when it was realized by the owners of the site that over 90 % of those that cammed were non-paying members, and if they couldn't watch other people's cams then they wouldn't turn their cams on. The number of people going to the sight dropped off steadily until they changed back to the old policy.
 MichaelPollard
Msg: 38
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 6/18/2009 10:46:35 PM
I have no problem with an upgrade to "serious member" on filling out extra questionnaires, etc.

My problem is that the site clearly says that "it’s 100% FREE – there are no charges, ever."

As such, if an upgrade is offered, it should be a free upgrade. In fact, the Serious Member upgrade appears to be a free one, requiring questionnaires to be filled out in order to qualify.

Until you get to the end and it asks for payment.
 susan_cd
Msg: 40
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:18:48 PM
I'd still like to know, if you shell out for serious member status & after a time ( say 3 months) there's no noticeable change in the # of people you date off PoF can you get your money back?
 susan_cd
Msg: 41
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 6/21/2009 1:37:35 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ I know, just putting the idea of a refund if serious member status doesn't improve anything ( other than the owner of the site's bank account). No way they'd agree to a refund if things don't pan out.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  >