Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scorpiomover
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Asteroids near missPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I thought it was quite ironic that it was only reported on UK news, AFTER it passed us by. It reminds me of Deep Impact, except there, the people were warned about it before, and we weren't. Oh, well, at least if your loved one die, you know that they weren't expecting it, until the last few minutes.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 12
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/7/2009 5:14:28 PM

I thought it was quite ironic that it was only reported on UK news, AFTER it passed us by. It reminds me of Deep Impact, except there, the people were warned about it before, and we weren't.

Actually, it was on Spaceweather.com for a while beforehand. I watched another one last year, I think. It's amazing to watch a tiny dot of light visibly cross the night sky.

Again, there was a chance for an impact. There is likely to be many others. However, there's continuing effort to scan the skies. Discoveries are made at a higher level than before.
 notregme
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/8/2009 8:23:52 PM
I live 100km out side the city and if its clear night ,you see a metor every night. some go really bright.considering there hitting the atomospher and 100km + high they have too be a good size for you too see them .even if thay look no biger than a firefly at that disance.They say the big ones soppost to hit in 2012-14 agine in 36 years and a bunch more.it will get here when it gets here.lol
 VVendy
Msg: 14
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/8/2009 9:01:55 PM
We have a big one incoming in 2025 acording to the NY team, If noting happens 2012 I have that to look forward to from my rocking chair.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 15
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/8/2009 9:32:25 PM
Yeah, we need to invest in more space detective work. Honestly, it's insane not to. A huge asteroid hitting, which will at SOME point in the future -- that's 100% for sure -- will cost more money than observing fully so we'd know ahead of time.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 16
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:46:55 PM
A couple of mentions of the asteroid that will be barely missing or hitting Earth.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Apophis...and I don't mean the bad guy from Stargate SG1. Between 350 and 450 metres across, this bad boy is on a collision for a near miss in 2024 followed by another close pass if not an actual strike in 2036. But before you start building the shelter, remember that these odds are extremely low.

In order to assure a follow-up strike, Apophis has to hit a 600 meter keyhole in the 2024 pass...somewhere more than 36,000 kms above Earth. How like is Tiger to hit a hole in one shot from Tampa and landing in California?

If, on the off chance it hits in 2036 (there's another follow-up chance in 2037, after which the math gets hazy), then its certainly a regional killer. It would do major damage if it struck the oceans. Which is why several space scientists have formed a foundation for studying the real risks from space (hint: not Nibiru). And they've got plans for lessening that risk.

Which is what puts us a bit above the dinos, IMO. ;-
 desertrhino
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:44:09 PM
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

We NEED to get off this single rock.
 hamango
Msg: 18
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/21/2009 9:33:11 AM
If I was taller I might be afraid of being hit by one. I think I'm safe. In any case chances are I would be sitting down or in bed when it came by. It would go over my head and land harmlessly on the carpet.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 3/22/2009 12:42:19 AM

"...fly by of a hypothetical planet the mass of earth at a distance of 2 earth moon units."
When Worlds Collide (and sequel After Worlds Collide) is a 1933 fictional story (by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer) about the destruction of the Earth by a pair of rogue planets that enter our solar system. Made into a 1951 science fiction movie, but the book is much better. The astronomy science was very good, considering the book was written in the 1930s at the height of the Great Depression. The movie, not so good.
If you like disaster-themed stories, Philip Wylie also wrote an excellent story about nuclear war in the 1960s, titled Triumph. I think the nuclear war scenario is a far more likely end for our civilization.
 gingerosity
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/15/2013 3:35:11 AM
^^^ Did you see the strike in the urals? Apparently nothing to do with DA14...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 21
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/15/2013 2:22:10 PM
God musta sent it as punishment for gays and rap music and stuff.....
 matchlight
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/15/2013 2:44:33 PM
Anyone who's seen the size of Barringer Crater in Arizona up close knows this is no joke. The explosion that created it was as strong as a hydrogen bomb. If there were any men out in that high desert 15,000 years or so ago, they would have thought it was the end of the world. The good thing is that the bigger the rock, the fewer of them are out there and the less probable it is that one will hit the earth. Gibraltar-sized ones are less common than aircraft carrier-sized ones, which are less common than house-sized ones, and so on. Thousands of things the size of silt particles or beach sand enter our atmosphere all the time, gravity pulling them in at fantastic speeds. But they burn up before they ever reach the ground. Some of them burn bright enough to see--a chunk the size of a golf ball or even an olive would make quite a shooting star.
 Dokkodo
Msg: 23
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/15/2013 8:15:39 PM

God musta sent it as punishment for gays and rap music and stuff.....

I think it was punishment for the Harlem shake.
 CureCurious
Msg: 24
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/16/2013 8:07:45 AM
I was watching some youtube vids an ome commenter said something about weather control'.. how lkely is that? I'm not too knowledgeable on weather control technologies... but surely no technology is capable of doing soething like this?
 matchlight
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/16/2013 11:29:40 AM
I don't know what the weather would have to do with any of this. The meteor in Russia exploded at an altitude that's above the weather. The only ways air affects these things is by heating them up through friction, or by deflecting them back out into space if they're entering at a very shallow angle.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 26
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/16/2013 11:32:46 AM

I was watching some youtube vids an ome commenter said something about weather control'.. how lkely is that?

How likely? Considering it was a YouTube comment, not likely in the least.
 Altruism73
Msg: 27
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/16/2013 12:12:59 PM
It's clear that we owe this astronomical event, this near-miss by a hulking piece of space rock capable of untold destruction, to global warming.

Rheostatic
Msg: 28
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/16/2013 1:59:00 PM

It's clear that we owe this astronomical event, this near-miss by a hulking piece of space rock capable of untold destruction, to global warming.

Clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObU7awpJctQ
 matchlight
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/16/2013 5:52:30 PM
^^^^^So I guess if the earth somehow went into a second Pleistocene and there were glaciers way down in Nebraska, mankind would be safe from big rocks hurtling through space. Where did I ever get the idea those rocks were smacking into the earth just the same when the wooly mammoths and giant ground sloths and saber-tooths were roaming around? Shows what I know.

Personally, I think that thing in Russia was the government testing one of its nucular weapons on its own people. They said it was 300 killatons! Someone must of screwed up, cuz it went off so high up that all it did was bust up a few buildings and scare hell out of the locals.
 CureCurious
Msg: 30
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/16/2013 6:46:38 PM
^^ Well some are saying it's strange that the Russian military didn't take any affirmative action or concern when this explosion happned.
 matchlight
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Asteroids near miss
Posted: 2/17/2013 10:13:44 AM

there's no heat effects because no air being superheated

Not so. A vacuum doesn't stop heat from being radiated. One obvious proof is that the sun heats the earth across all those millions of miles of space.

waiting for it to enter the atmosphere is the best bet for using a nuke to mitigate a big rock by turning it into lots of little rocks.

I don't think most of the people who have studied this would agree. Blowing apart a very large object would create lots of smaller ones, and there would be no way to make sure they burned up far enough above the ground to be harmless.

by the time they detect it, figure out it's a rock and not an ICBM

Any system designed to intercept ballistic missiles has to be able to determine the speed and trajectory of the objects it detects very quickly and accurately. And the speed and trajectory of a meteor or any other object that had not started from someplace on earth would instantly distinguish it from a ballistic missile.

Throwing a missile up at it and missing(as they would) means an armed missile has to come back down somewhere.

Somehow I doubt that designing interceptor missiles to self-destruct if they missed their targets would be one of the more difficult problems in designing a ballistic missile defense system.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >