Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > GM threatens to pull the bankruptcy trigger if it doesn't get more mo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rossomycoo
Msg: 26
view profile
History
GM threatens to pull the bankruptcy trigger if it doesn't get more money.Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Atrition [sp?]. The dodo-bird and edsel move over.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 27
view profile
History
GM threatens to pull the bankruptcy trigger if it doesn't get more money.
Posted: 3/10/2009 10:37:27 AM
GM brought that car out at the wrong time. When the EV1 came out gas prices in many areas dipped below a 1.10. Not to mention you couldn't go very far with that car. Plus the car itself looked funky.
 d0rene
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:00:41 PM
But why did they have to recall every single one of them and destroy them??? A lot of people liked them, they took them back regardless.
 d0rene
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:03:18 PM

But I am really disgusted that the Ford CEO has agreed to work for a dollar a year to try to pull through this thing.

Why are you disgusted with that?

That he would be willing to work for $1 a year - I know there are other perks to the job but because I've always been a Chevy person it bothers me that I feel the Ford CEO is making bigger concessions while Chevy is standing around and begging for money.
 EmbraceHug
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:40:51 PM
If they file for bankrupcty, does that mean that all of those employees will lose thier jobs?

My lease is up with Toyota next month. I will lease another or buy one. I hope they slashed those prices also being that my pay has been slashed. If nothing works out, I will be walking to work. Luckily I work close.

I hope Toyota is not doing bad.
 Wildcard74
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/10/2009 3:55:45 PM
Toyota and Honda are hurting for sure in this weak economy. How can you not be hurting if you are an auto manufacturer? At least Toyota and Honda are not asking for massive bailouts.

Everyone should watch the movie "Who killed the electric car?". It is a very interesting movie no doubt. I'm very curious to know who paid off, threatened, coerced General Motors to not only repo, but destroy EV-1s once their leases were up.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 4:51:56 PM
Why did GM crush all the EV1 cars?

This explains it.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/ev1crush.html

I feel the Ford CEO is making bigger concessions while Chevy is standing around and begging for money.

Maybe if GM would have done things like this when they started to get themselves into trouble they wouldn't be in the position they are in now. I mean the only thing that is going to save this company is going bankrupt, do a total restructure of their company by drastically reducing their size coming out of bankruptcy.

EmbraceHug
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/11/2009 8:36:17 AM
Well in 2-3 weeks I have to turn in my Corrolla and if the sales person jumps on me like white on rice, I will let them know if I don't get what I want and can afford I will walk out in a minute. They're playing trying to save their house but I'm doing the same thing.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2009 11:44:02 PM
It's amazing though that it has come to this. Oh how the mighty have fallen and that's mostly do to their arrogant ways. GM miles well start getting their post bankruptcy plans in order because that's what it looks like it's coming down to now.
 867love
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/12/2009 2:01:32 AM
back in the 80s when chrysler barrowed billions to stay afloat, (iacocca begged for a loan to keep the company moving forward, had a plan for the loan, which promised smaller, cheaper, fuel efficient cars. iacocca went on TV every night pushing his new k-cars, telling everyone who listened they had a plan to build the greatest american cars and wanted a chance to prove it.)
after finally receiving the money they immediately retooled their plants, started building inexpensive fuel saving k-cars and the experimental caravan mini van. -the public jumped at the new chrysler corporation and the innovative front wheel drive fuel saving cars iacocca was pushing, -their success allowed them to pay off the loan to the government a couple of years before it was due.

i dont see any drastic plans GM has made as what to do with any money (is it a loan or they expect it as a gift for producing more business as usual detroit crap, private jet rides, bonuses etc?)
this is the 21st century -i remember back in the 70s wondering how soon we were going to have rocket cars, space ships and george jetson suitcase cars? -feels like the big three have been sitting on their hands for quite a while.
the average car in the 70s got about 13mpg, after the gas crunch in the mid 70s, detroit got the clue and started building smaller more efficient cars, which upped it to 22 mpg in the 80s, not much change after that (why), in the early 90s average mileage dropped down to 20 mpg. seems like automakers were trying to make them bigger and more gas guzzling than ever before families forsook their mini vans for suvs. suddenly everyone had to drive a truck whether they needed to haul anything or not -didn't anyone see what was going to happan in the future (too late) now they can sow what they reaped.
GM has announced it will drop saab, saturn and hummer in the next two years, i havent heard any enthusiastic pleads or promises from GM, more like extortion (give us money or else) do they really have any restructure plans if they get the money, or will they come back in six months for more pork in their trough?
 la_mom
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/12/2009 8:15:46 AM
What you all need to understand is that this goes well beyond whether GM should go bankrupt or not. I am an employee of General Motors. Let me tell you, Obama sold his soul to the devil. The UAW is the number 1 contributor to the Democratic party. During the election, I couldn't go to work without being hit with flyers, t-shirts, bumper stickers...etc for Obama. The UAW made it VERY CLEAR that they EXPECTED us all to vote for Obama.....Oddly enough, I'm a GM employee that is against any bailout. I can't ethically support it. But believe this.....Obama promised the UAW that they wouldn't go under on his watch. One of two things will happen....Obama will go back on his promise to the auto industry or he will continue to throw good money after bad.....if you don't understand why, ask someone that actually works there......my job was like going to an Obama campaign office everyday for 2 years.......
 god_of_rock
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/12/2009 12:02:48 PM
it's ironic that in the 1950's & 1960's the Justice Dept. worried about GM becoming too big and dominant.

GM alone had about 50% of the market share of cars sold in N. America then..

European and Japanese cars were tiny factors in those days

GM was so rich and powerful they could likely have bought out Ford and Chrysler and had about 80% + of the N. American market, plus a good share of it elsewhere.

or they were rich enough to start a 'price war' that could have bankrupted Ford & Chrysler.

The Justice Dept. was too worried about "anti-trust" concerns so l they let GM know that if they did any of that, got bigger, they would bust them up into smaller entities.

but those gov't. geniuses also hamstrung IBM, Kodak and others because they thought each of those companies was getting "too big"

maybe they are happy now that US companies are no longer the most dominant in most fields; Kodak has shut down plants and so has IBM, GM may shut many down.
 ofone001001
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/12/2009 5:08:55 PM
UAW workers are over-paid. It's as simple as that.

How much they make per hour is absurd. The type of work they do, a trained monkey could do just as well. What company can stay in business paying ppl so much to do such a simple job? Let im go belly up. They'll hire the same guys back and end up paying im what they are actually worth. Life will go on.

T.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 2:35:48 AM
The UAW is one of the biggest reasons for GM's problems as well. For the longest time they were way overpaid and now within the last 6 months they decided to get together and take pay cuts to save their jobs once they figured that their old ways are one of the biggest reasons that they could end up jobless.
 la_mom
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/13/2009 5:22:47 AM
In response to Ofone...

"UAW workers are over-paid. It's as simple as that.

How much they make per hour is absurd. The type of work they do, a trained monkey could do just as well. What company can stay in business paying ppl so much to do such a simple job? Let im go belly up. They'll hire the same guys back and end up paying im what they are actually worth. Life will go on."

Ok....you have OBVIOUSLY never been in...and certainly never..worked at a GM plant. I assure you that the jobs are anything but "simple." It is extremely difficult work and in an effort to save money over the years the company has cut jobs; adding more work to already overloaded jobs. It is brutal on the body. If you're against a bailout (which, btw..I am too and I work there)...fine, but don't talk about the work, when you have no idea what you're talking about.
 la_mom
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/13/2009 7:05:59 AM
I wholeheartedly agree...especially regarding the jobs bank and idle employees situation. What is sad, though, is that we as employees just showed up to work everyday. We built the vehicles we were told to build, in the quantity that management demanded. The UAW negotiated the terms of the contract and management agreed. When we are laid off and paid to "sit on our asses"....what would you suggest we do? We have families to support...children to feed. If you were presented with the same set of circumstances...would you accept those terms? There is so much hostility being directed at the workers. Management and the UAW are responsible for this. I wish everyone would stop being so hateful toward ppl that simply went to work everyday and did what they were told to do. There are generations of ppl "sitting on their asses" everyday and getting paid....BY CHOICE. It's called welfare. Auto workers don't have the option. If you all want to hate Management and the UAW...fine. But stop beating down hardworking, honest Americans. The country could use many more just like us.
 la_mom
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/13/2009 7:20:44 AM
I'm also sick and tired of ppl bashing auto workers for being paid more than "the chick at the grocery store busting her ass for minimum wage." Maybe the real issue is that she's not being fairly compensated. Rather than expecting us to work for minimum wage because she does.....just maybe we should examine why so many ppl in this country are being paid salaries that are impossible to live on. I don't think the solution is that nobody deserves to make a good living because others are being taken advantage of....

and PLEASE stop stereotyping the workers. I respect the fact that you've seen ppl that "won't touch things that aren't..etc" however, we are not all that worker. I have worked in an profession that was not union. A crazy, chaotic ER.....working long shifts with no breaks and being poorly compensated. I know all about working outside of the UAW...
 la_mom
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:14:19 AM
How does a CEO drive a company into bankruptcy and still make millions and retain his job/bonuses? I don't understand why ppl are giving management a free pass. BTW...the union contracts were only negotiated. Management signed them. How many ppl at Toyota, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes do you know? How do you know they aren't complaining. Stop labeling GM workers as lazy, greedy, ungrateful ppl. Honestly, they aren't. They are really good ppl for the most part. At the very least, hold management to the same standard that you are the ppl on the assembly line.
 la_mom
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:31:49 AM
GM seems to be the first company that ppl hold the workers responsible for the outcome. Management seems to be just an innocent by-stander. You're right. We should have realized that the company was being ruined and refused to let it happen. You're right. It's our fault. Instead of building 300+ vehicles every 8 hours we should have been storming the front offices and telling them what we should be building and how many. While also respectfully requesting a pay cut due to the fact that we were furious over the fact that we made salaries that allowed us to support our families without government assistance. We also should have demanded that the amount we paid in federal and state taxes be increased because the billions that we pay simply wasn't enough.

You're right. I'm actually ashamed that I let this happen.
 Miss W
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:50:29 AM
Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently.
Henry Ford.

And from the ashes of their failure, let them rise again from (hopefully) learning from their mistakes and hopefully, it will be the demise of the UAW.
 la_mom
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:52:54 AM
I'm glad you're so excited to see that all of the wrongs that have been committed are going to be made right. Rick Waggoner will remain wealthy and all of the thousands of us that paid billions in taxes will happily accept YOUR money through unemployment while we look for other jobs. I truly would like to visit the type of companies that you evidently work for. I would welcome the opportunity to see workers in action demanding that management keep their pay and benefits down. You give the auto workers WAY, WAY more power than they ever had. I do blame the UAW & Management. But, I refuse to hang my head for working hard, paying taxes and supporting my children. I just won't. Sorry.
 la_mom
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:25:37 AM
I did not vote for Obama, so unfortunately, I guess I don't get to wear the "mindless drone" name tag you prepared for me so nicely. News flash.....it wasn't my job to "speak up" and tell my bosses what they were doing wrong. I work for GM not the UAW. Again...I'm excited to know, though, that there are bosses out there like the one you obviously work for that allows his employees to run his business. Funny, I thought that's why Waggoner was making millions...to run GM. Evidently, I was supposed to be.
 DocElffington
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:44:51 AM
Obviously, I people wanted and could afford GM's products...they'd be buying them.

However, GM is obviously unviable. So why bailout an unviable company? So that they can keep on building products that people don't want/can't afford?

And why is it that these automakers can build significantly more fuel efficient cars in the UK than the US?

Bubye GM!!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 11:08:42 AM
For years autoworkers have enjoyed an excellent pay/benefit package as a result of negotiations and the automakers made ever increasing profits.

And that's the problem.

Continuing to demand higher wages and lower costs for Health Insurance over the years are two of the major Incidences. With the Union knowing that the Auto Companies were already struggling financially the last few years, they went ahead and pressed on for more money all the way up until very recently when they didn't have much of a choice but to cut their wages.
 la_mom
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/13/2009 12:19:55 PM
I find it comical that everyone that DOESNT work at GM seems to know exactly what I make and what my benefits are. Can any of you tell me what I make an hour and what type of medical coverage I have?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > GM threatens to pull the bankruptcy trigger if it doesn't get more money.