Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 87
Has society bred stupidity?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

What would you do without your cell phone?

The same "things" I did for the 50+ years that I didn't have a cell phone.

Depending on technology does not breed stupidity, but it can promote ignorance because people are not learning the skills that we used to develop.

However, cultures have and do breed stupidity. Walk about Walmart or sit in a McDonald's and look at the denizens. Now, consider that these people are the apex of millions of years of evolution. We should be the BEST of those millions of years, but we aren't.

A prof once said in class that cultural evolution has surpassed physical evolution. I won't say more because if I do, I will sound elitist.
 balrog67
Msg: 88
Has society bred stupidity?
Posted: 5/13/2012 2:07:17 PM

I won't say more because if I do, I will sound elitist.

Because you don't already?
lol!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/13/2012 7:17:50 PM

Because you don't already?
lol!

Ok.

Because I would sound even more elitist than I already do.

Studies show that intelligent people have fewer children than do less intelligent people. Intelligent people tend to breed with other intelligent people. Draw your own conclusions.

Demographic studies have indicated that in humans, fertility rate and intelligence tend to be inversely correlated, that is to say, the more intelligent, as measured by IQ tests, exhibit a lower total fertility rate than the less intelligent [ . . . ] and if this continued over a significant number of generations, it could lead to a decrease in population IQ scores,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_and_intelligence
 balrog67
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:42:20 PM

Demographic studies have indicated that in humans, fertility rate and intelligence tend to be inversely correlated, that is to say, the more intelligent, as measured by IQ tests, exhibit a lower total fertility rate than the less intelligent [ . . . ] and if this continued over a significant number of generations, it could lead to a decrease in population IQ scores,

I don't see anything particularly elitist about this data. It makes sense that intelligence relates to child-bearing decisions. A middle to upper management corporate couple may simply decide that financial gain is more important to them than raising children. Or they may opt out of childbirth for ethical or other reasons.

OTOH, disparaging an entire group of people because they may show up at Walmart - yeah, that's not only elitist, but ignorantly prejudicial.... which would seem to run counter to a claim of superior intelligence methinks. (shrugs)

I wonder what the evolutionary explanation for this data would be, and if evolution would select for intelligence or fertility?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 91
Posted: 5/14/2012 7:34:21 AM

OTOH, disparaging an entire group of people because they may show up at Walmart - yeah, that's not only elitist, but ignorantly prejudicial.... which would seem to run counter to a claim of superior intelligence methinks. (shrugs)

I am not disparaging people because "they may show up at Walmart"--heck, I go to Walmart. I am saying that there is a large group of people who shop at Walmart who reflect a lack of intelligence. I say this not only as a observant customer, but from working at Walmart for two years about a decade ago. When a customer couldn't fill out a check or needed me to count change, there is something lacking. I also had these experiences when I worked at a convenience store in a rural area.

I do not see an equally proportionate large number of these people at other stores, not even at Kohl's or Penney's, which are not "upper end" shopping establishments.

I also spend time at McD’s grading assignments on my laptop. There are quite a few people who frequent this eating establishment whom I never see in the fancy Indian or Italian restaurants where I have dinner. I don’t even see a lot of them at middle range restaurants such as Olive Garden.

But I do live in Missouri.

which would seem to run counter to a claim of superior intelligence methinks.

Where did I say that I possessed superior intelligence? I do believe I said that I was “elitist.” If we are comparing intelligence, perhaps that merely means that I am of normal intelligence as opposed to those with IQs below 100.

At any rate, I didn’t make disparaging remarks about you or anyone else in this forum. My comments were general. I find it amusing, but not surprising, that a person (in this case, you) would go for an ad hominem statement.

Why not stick to the forum topic instead of sidelining the posters with insults?
 balrog67
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/14/2012 8:10:51 AM

Where did I say that I possessed superior intelligence? I do believe I said that I was “elitist.”

Elitist, noun - a person having or professing superior intellect or talent, power, wealth, or membership in the upper echelons of society.

So, if you're not claiming superior intellect, is it your talent, power, wealth, or other status that defines your elitism?

I am saying that there is a large group of people who shop at Walmart who reflect a lack of intelligence.

Cool. What's your point? Is intelligence the only factor that defines the value of a human life?

Why not stick to the forum topic instead of sidelining the posters with insults?

Ay caramba. You look down on people as inferior because they can't write a check. Seriously? I didn't write a check for almost 31 years of marriage. When I did have to write one after my divorce, I had to re-educate myself on the process, and my IQ tested at 132. Are you the pot or the kettle in this 'insult' game you lament?

You might consider that intelligence is not equivalent to education, nor is it equivalent to financial status. Your elitism appears to be rooted in bias and prejudice, as well as specious reasoning. Your argument reduces to 'Stoopid people shop at Walmart, smart people shop at Nordstrom". That's just ignorant, even under the wimpout of a 'generalization'. Some of the richest and most successful people I know wouldn't last 3 questions into Jeopardy. They're not particularly intelligent, some just worked hard, others were just in the right place at the right time, some had trust funds from daddy, some were either doggedly determined to achieve success or frantically obsessed to avoid failure. They all have value, as does the elementary school janitor that has no clue about String Theory.

Perhaps you could clarify your disdain for the people in this country that were either not born with silver spoons up their ass or were unfortunate enough to be born into poverty - the kind of people who are doing the jobs you and I are 'too good' to do. At this point, your worldview seems a bit myopic.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/14/2012 9:53:48 AM

Elitist, noun - a person having or professing superior intellect or talent, power, wealth, or membership in the upper echelons of society.

So, if you're not claiming superior intellect, is it your talent, power, wealth, or other status that defines your elitism?

It seems that in addition to other aspects on which you do not have a grasp, you missed the flippancy of not only my original statement, but my flippancy to your statement about my first elitist post.

Cool. What's your point? Is intelligence the only factor that defines the value of a human life?

No, my point is that people who lack intelligence shop in droves at my local Walmarts.

Perhaps you could clarify your disdain for the people in this country that were either not born with silver spoons up their ass or were unfortunate enough to be born into poverty - the kind of people who are doing the jobs you and I are 'too good' to do. At this point, your worldview seems a bit myopic.

My mother had an 8th. grade education and my father learned how to read and write as an adult in the CCC during the Depression. My father was an intelligent man but he went to work as a child to help support his family; he did not have access to an education. Until my family moved to Cali when I was six, we lived in a house without running water. My mother wrung the necks of chickens so we could eat and we did not even have the basics of medical care--my ears bled from consistent ear infections.

We lived on the "wrong side of the tracks" and when I and my classmates were bussed into town to attend school, we were ridiculed, told we were "stupid," and when I told the high school guidance counselor that I wanted to continue my education, he suggested that I attend "beauty college" based on no other criterion than where I lived. When he saw my ACT scores, he couldn't contain the surprise on his face.

My empathy for the poor is huge; my sympathy for the unintelligent and the uneducated is vast, but that was not the topic of this forum, nor was my "elitist" attitude. I have been an educator for most of my working life, but I also worked at Walmart, as a desk clerk, and a few other jobs that you seemed to think would be below my dignity.

I am the first person in my family to get a college eduction.

You, sir, are not only off topic and a troll, but you suffer from the malady of which you accuse me: judging others without a basis.

Get the plank out of your eye before worrying about the mote in someone else's eye.

I will refrain from making comments to you in the future. I am here to enjoy myself, not to be personally attacked.
 balrog67
Msg: 94
Posted: 5/14/2012 10:08:28 AM
No, my point is that people who lack intelligence shop in droves at my local Walmarts.

So, you really have no point, but were just unable to keep yourself from making a completely unsupported observation that reveals your bias. OK.

You, sir, are not only off topic and a troll, but you suffer from the malady of which you accuse me: judging others without a basis.

The topic is "Has society bred stupidity?". Our interaction here has revealed that the answer is likely affirmative. I'm not sure what could be more on topic than discussing the stupidity of your inbred ignorance of how intelligence relates to education.

I will refrain from making comments to you in the future.

I certainly understand. lol! And I am grateful. I'm not sure how much more of your 'intelligence' this thread can stand.

I am here to enjoy myself, not to be personally attacked.

Ah, so uninformed, unsupported attacks on whole groups of people are OK with you, as long as you don't get butthurt in return. I get it.

Yeah, we're done here.
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2012 11:31:23 AM
Is this the right thread to get my question answered?

Should I bring wine or beer to the BBQ?

tia
 balrog67
Msg: 96
Posted: 5/14/2012 11:56:43 AM
^^^^
It's absolutely the right thread.

Please bring both. We'll start early.....
 SelfGuidedLight
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/14/2012 2:28:03 PM
Technology is a great thing if you can grasp it's global/spiritual implications. It is speeding humanities consciousness growth rate, exponentially. What used to take a lifetime or more to figure out now takes mere moments. It is sad to say....it is speeding up well beyond the capacity of most to handle...and many seem to be suffering for it. People have a passion for 'memory' and hence like to 'remember' things they experience, consciously or otherwise. It seems it's a huge part of our sense of self. But with so much information coming at them so fast, they are consistently in a state of 'information overload' which saps energy from the mind/processing portion of the brain/nervous system in favor of mass storage. Because they neglect to process it...conversations are typically strife with either misinformation or minutiaerrhea and it seems to be a quickly growing (and quite frightening) trend. The trick is to 'forget' everything but your own consciousness. Everything you experience shapes it....so it is the only 'storage' you need. If one uses the brain only to process, then human consciousness can grow exponentially forever. If however the brain is considered "the self", then humanity has reached it's zenith, and the end is indeed near.

Besides 'the wheel' and 'fire', GPS is the awesomest invention ever. A real 'guys' item. I hated maps from the day I first learned how to read them and 'signage' is spotty at best in this cluttered world. GPS guides you perfectly while keeping your eyes on the road. It saves lives by this one virtue alone. Memory is not intellect, so i wouldn't worry about the loss of brain exercise.

Cell phones are just another 'access' to the grid. One can use the technology as one deems appropriate. Mine does it all and I love it. *g*
 Balsamica
Msg: 98
Posted: 5/14/2012 4:20:17 PM
I like to watch those high school quiz shows sometimes and often you see kids failing on the questions that involve doing fairly simple math problems in their heads. That's just a couple of generations out, but the smartest high school kids not being able to do 5th grade math in their heads?
 aremeself
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2012 9:55:14 PM
I think most of stupidity is a choice.
 RainGrimoire
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/21/2012 3:09:20 PM
In an unintended way, I beleive so. It would be more accurate to say that the "automatic babysitter" that we call television has a lot to do with it. Personality and character are issues, because many people are merely embodying what the media has told them they should value.
 DameWrite
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2012 7:48:10 PM
In breeding was used to keep the land in the families that wanted to rule/own/control. So many lies being fed by the politicians,religious nuts, elite, royalty and gangsters to keep us working/slaving for them. Too many nut bars in charge poisoning our food, air and water.
Televallium and false advertising.
Too busy making a living to think. No one at home to raise the kids...the cycle continues.
Psy wars to divide and scare, break our confidence.
Depletion of natural resources that cause sickness and injury.
Wars.

When people are sick, they have a hard time thinking. Therefor society does breed stupidity. Society needs sick people to keep the wheels spinning. It works, for THEM.

What do you think is going to be the result of living your life for these terrorists? Healthy functioning humans? I don't think so.
 Satori86
Msg: 102
Posted: 5/27/2012 7:57:27 PM
People when scared are stupid.

There may be a lot things for some people to fear (fears real/non real etc) which causes them to revert to a more safer place. I think it is already a good sign in society when people are able to still question and explore things even if they are scared of the unknown. Fear causes people to behave cowardly or take an easier approach. While we still have people who seek answers/question, there is hope.

We invent tools because we are scared to get lost. Lose contact. We invent things to stay together and sometimes lie to make it work. That is all fear and also a bit of a control.

Society does bred stupid but it's getting smaller. Not that long ago people feared women voting - now its a normal thing. However stop thinking of the mistakes humanity makes - that only causes insanity. It is a sure fire way of losing your mind. That is a very large scale problem. If it constantly eats away at you, unfortantely that means its your mind telling you to be a better person. Work at achieving goals, being a decent human being, and fixing small scale challenges. That is the only answer and not giving up.
 Sanxioned
Msg: 103
Posted: 5/29/2012 6:32:24 AM
The problem is not so much that there IS the technology, it's the fact that the newest generation is born into it. They have literally no idea of a world where information and knowledge is not accessible at the strokes of a few keys. Now, I'm only 22, but I have the fortune of having parents who deliberately took me to libraries for research, didn't let me have a phone till late into my teenage years, and who taught basic life skills that were independent of technology.

The point of technology is to make things easier; that is the definitive function of any machine. The problem, of course, is that things have become too easy. Above that, as easy as things are, people seems to be far more lazier because they KNOW everything is so easy now. So, I'd rather say that society is becoming lazier rather than just stupider. This is mainly because actual information is available whenever you want. You can take entire courses and learn languages by sitting in front of a screen. However, gaining the drive or initiative to say, go out and about and explore the world around you is not something a website or app can make you do (unless it's one hell of an app!).

GPS is a prime example, but having GPS doesn't make you a good driver. This is an example of laziness vs stupidity. Many good drivers might be unfamiliar with particular roads, but could, if needed, use a map. They are just lazy, which isn't always a bad thing. However, a stupid driver may have a GPS, but that won't tell them to slow down at a pedestrian walk, or speed up during a lane change on the highway.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2012 6:17:48 PM
^^^ use a map? isn't that for people that are too lazy to use a compass? why not draw your own...
or perhaps it's an anti-social's way of avoiding asking for directions...
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 5:28:59 PM
(OP) It's true that we have become ignorant and incapable, and that technology encourages this...but the types of technology that you refer to are not responsible. We were on the road to intellectual bankruptcy many centuries ago. It's the mindset and software of a culture or society that leads to apathy, indifference, and laziness in the area of being an intellectually developed individual. Adults have been in a state of infantilism for a long time. The more an understanding of what religion really is becomes widespread...and the more respect people gain for the need to be intelligent and emotionally mature...the better things might get.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 5:56:50 PM
129:

And with your post, you showed that religion is the name to use.
 _gjetost
Msg: 107
Posted: 9/21/2012 10:12:41 AM
Harm vs. good.

I suppose one way to look at it is to ask if these are aids to our everyday living or are they supplements for thinking. If you use only to follow them blindly, then you may have a valid point to some extent. There is also the distinction between information, knowledge, and the use of that information and knowledge.

Take your example of GPS technology; I think it's fantastic. But I can appreciate that there may be some who do not think that it is all that it is cracked up to be. Well, ok. However, just consider that many route finder devices or software will use a disclaimer along the lines that it is not an end all. They may not be totally accurate, may not reflect a recent alteration (construction work, traffic pattern etc). But if you are somehow lost in the middle of a totally unfamiliar place, they are a Godsend.

I'm sure other pro/con arguments can be made about others aspects of technology.

Is this encouraging stupidity? I think that may be a stretch although I understand what you are trying to say.
 AnnB72
Msg: 108
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:39:18 PM
I don't think we're breeding stupidity, lol - but certainly stupidity seems to have become more acceptable. Technology does seem to foster that acceptability on some levels as much as it fosters the improvement of humanity on others.
Do you suppose one day the 'classes' will be separated by levels of intelligence vs. actual birthright or wealth?
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 109
Posted: 9/21/2012 6:12:55 PM
Nope,
they become

pof mods
https://www.google.com/
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 110
Posted: 9/21/2012 6:17:02 PM
Take your example of GPS technology; I think it's fantastic. But I can appreciate that there may be some who do not think that it is all that it is cracked up to be. Well, ok. However, just consider that many route finder devices or software will use a disclaimer along the lines that it is not an end all. They may not be totally accurate, may not reflect a recent alteration (construction work, traffic pattern etc). But if you are somehow lost in the middle of a totally unfamiliar place, they are a Godsend.

Accept for those poor folks who throw away all common knowledge, and things they have learned in their years......to rely 100% on this technology which is so much smarter than them (only to end up on a road closed by snow, with no way forward and no way back)

So ya; stupidity definitely has a high place in todays society.

Starting a war to avoid war, and stop people from dying (protect the family unit?)

Obviously, it's either deception; or abject stupidity

The problem, of course, is that things have become too easy.

Including making very huge, and very stupid mistakes.
 natural energy
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:41:11 PM

Actually, the problem is very clear. In our own country, we'll provide opportunities for people to get smart, but we let them be dumb if they want to. If children are not being sent to school, then we'll punish the parents. But there is no rule in Western society, that we will force people to stay in school, until they graduate high school, even though it's obvious just how much high school dropouts suffer from being allowed to never complete it.

Our society considers it a right to be able to become educated, if you want, but doesn't consider it a responsibility to ensure that we are all educated. You can even see this in the 3rd world, because we'll give them food, and try to stop wars, and give them schools, but we won't force them to put all their kids into school, even though that's exactly what they need.

But the problem is that only older people can tell you how important it is to be educated when you are young. Older people who did graduate high school will tell you just how much it improved their life. Older people who dropped out of high school will tell you just how much they missed out on by not finishing high school. But the people who are studying are not old enough to see the advantages of education, and how important it is, that it really should be mandatory.

Actually our provincial political leader prides himself with us having more students stay in high school and graduate from high school. What is really happening here? The standards are dropping to allow this. There needs to be other ways to educate people who do not want to follow the academic route. Not all people have the capabilities or interest to follow the purely academic route. Yes, they are hindering themselves, but they will only fight against it anyway. There should be more focus to train people for the trades if that is what they want and concentrate their education that way. This used to be done with the vocational schools that used to exist. It will only be time, when this will have to occur again ..... especially with the shortage of trades people they are forecasting in North America ..... there has been too much of a push to push people through universities .... and many of them cannot find jobs!

... the pendulum will swing yet again!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >