Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DragonBits
Msg: 112
Has society bred stupidity?Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
We have always had stupidity, now the internet spreads it around a lot faster and makes it more obvious.
 PosiREP
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Has society bred stupidity?
Posted: 9/24/2012 6:21:20 PM
but it has electrolytes!
 NickCP85
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/26/2012 4:43:09 AM
The amount of thought that goes into making technology and the skills required to use technology dismisses your theory of breeding stupidity. Honestly the GPS requires no more thought than using a map, or a compass, and it takes less space and time to use it.
 NickCP85
Msg: 115
Posted: 9/26/2012 4:48:18 AM
As for society being stupider... in general... I don't get it. People have been dumb for a long, long time. Since the beginning of time actually. The only difference between then and now is that there are less restrictions on expression and a lot more people therefore a lot more stupid people... but here's the good side of the story... there are also a lot more smart people. The ability to freely express ideas, the boom in literacy rates, and availability of education has made this the most enlightened society in the history of civilization.
 MissesMiko
Msg: 116
Posted: 9/26/2012 6:41:19 PM
It's JUST getting started!
There is a purpose of it all, ya know ;)
The technology would appear to be somewhat of a disgrace or harm to humanity, but I believe that it really just mirrors the processes of how our minds CAN EVOLVE.

NO THOUGHTS ARE HIDDEN----
THAT'S WHAT OUR TECHNOLOGY REVEALS.

Evolution can be found when you learn to take sovereignty over your own ability to THINK FOR YOURSELF.

It's been a slow process but remember the ages of the neanderthals......
 MissesMiko
Msg: 117
Posted: 9/26/2012 8:01:47 PM
just don't expect the majority of people to be well informed

Ha...
I have no expectations of our human race other than I do expect SOME will be Left Behind......
Those are not the ones to focus on though :)
 HaydenFan
Msg: 118
Posted: 9/26/2012 8:53:00 PM

but it has electrolytes!

'No, not sure'

We are a complete society of apathetic morons and everybody knows it. I thought I was pretty sharp testing where I did above 98% of the rest of the primates until I met real intellectuals.

It has been said we stand on the shoulders of giants and I believe this to be true. We have this jaded perception that humanity is so far advanced and it's laughable at best. The problem is that we never fully realize how our vainity and ego retard true growth.

Until we see everybody else and ourselves are not special, we are not gods, and that we're really 98% chimp throwin' shit at the zoo, we will never evolve.

Everything we do in life is really just motivated by wanting to cum, think about it
 J_bird61
Msg: 119
Posted: 9/26/2012 10:35:50 PM
No it is not possible we are doing more harm than good.
Are we doing harm, yes, does it out weigh the good, no.
Not in my opinion.

Try going back to a time people died regularly from an infection or when you couldn't find someone hurt or lost with a GPS on a phone.
Or catch a criminal based on his phone usage. Or find directions when you are truely lost. Or what about understanding another language based on a pocket translator...that's real cool.
There will always, always be an element of society that's stupid. Why blame it on a phone. A phone is a tool. It's who's using it that will make difference.
I think your brain will be ok, go do a crossword puzzle.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2012 2:20:36 AM
138:

No - using a map or compass requires and employs more understanding than GPS. It's similar to the difference between people who prefer to give and get directions using right and left, versus those who can and prefer to use north south east and west. There's definately a difference.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2012 2:56:56 PM

No - using a map or compass requires and employs more understanding than GPS.

Anyone that is smart enough to use a map and a compass is not dumb enough to use them when superior methods like GPS is available, unless for sport. Take it back a notch. Why use maps and compasses when you can use the stars to guide you? But hey, why have a destination? Your instinct and ability to smell will lead you to food. Take shelter in a cave... wait - no, that would be technology... very primitive, but still technology...

Do you know why cave men dragged their women by the hair?
Because if you drag them by the feet they fill up with sand.
An once they figured that out, do you honestly think any of them dragged their women by the feet for fear their sand picking skills might diminish?
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 2:20:37 PM
...uh...like...what? Der? Earth calling.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 4:04:01 PM

..uh...like...what? Der? Earth calling.

Just out of curiosity, what is earth calling with? and how would one determine where on earth the call originated from?
Cup and string? Compass?
 emotionalheat
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 7:52:09 PM
I find it interesting to see so many taking part in a discussion about stupidity when the term has never been clearly defined.

What is meant by stupidity? How does it compare to intelligence? How is either of those terms measured?

I suppose the OP offers a minor clue – “Has society bred stupidity?” – by using the word “bred”. One could assume that an evolutionary process is involved, or perhaps some genetic change that has created a cognitive deficiency, but since that doesn’t seem to be what others in this thread have concluded, then I am left to wonder

What is everyone actually discussing? I would like to participate but I would need answers to the following questions:

What is meant by stupidity? How does it compare to intelligence? How is either of those terms measured?
 gingerosity
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 8:21:30 PM

I'd think that stupidity and intelligence would be opposites, in general.

I like J. Martin Rlotsche's take on what intelligence means:

"Intelligence is derived from two words -- inter and legere -- inter meaning 'between' and legere meaning 'to choose.' An intelligent person, therefore, is one who has learned 'to choose between.' He knows that good is better than evil, that confidence should supersede fear, that love is superior to hate, that gentleness is better than cruelty, forbearance than intolerance, compassion than arrogance, and that truth has more virtue than ignorance."

So if intelligence is promoted by facilitating informed, rational choice, then the question becomes to what extent does society assist or retard such development and create an environment of freedom in which to choose?

Free market capitalism is all about choice, so that would not seem to be breeding stupidity. Additionally, rational thought and the scientific method have never had such widespread availability before the internet.

On the other hand, being born into a social contract we have no say in, forced to pay taxes that are used with little or no accountability, a national debt that bankrupts the future, no say in what is taught in schools, a choice between one corrupt political party or another, under the heel of oppressive families or religions with hypocritical ethics... choice is often stifled by the society we find ourselves born into. So in that sense, I would agree our current society has and is breeding stupidity.
 CressB
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 12:24:37 AM
^^^

Awesome post ging. I thought you might like this:

"It's not the right time to be sober
Now the idiots have taken over
Spreading like a social cancer, is there an answer?

Mensa membership conceding
Tell me why and how are all the stupid people breeding
Watson, it's really elementary
The industrial revolution
Has flipped the b!tch on evolution
The benevolent and wise are being thwarted, ostracized, what a bummer
The world keeps getting dumber
Insensitivity is standard and faith is being fancied over reason

Darwin's rolling over in his coffin
The fittest are surviving much less often
Now everything seems to be reversing, and it's worsening
Someone flopped a steamer in the gene pool
Now angry mob mentality's no longer the exception, it's the rule

And I'm starting to feel a lot like Charlton Heston
Stranded on a primate planet
Apes and orangutans that ran it to the ground
With generals and the armies that obeyed them
Followers following fables
Philosophies that enable them to rule without regard

There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated
Political scientists get the same one vote as some Arkansas inbred
Majority rule, don't work in mental institutions
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions

What are we left with?
A nation of god-fearing pregnant nationalists
Who feel it's their duty to populate the homeland
Pass on traditions
How to get ahead religions
And prosperity via simpleton culture

The idiots are taking over [x8]"

(NoFX)
 Aries_328
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 1:22:35 AM

So in that sense, I would agree our current society has and is breeding stupidity.

I liked your post. Your agreement that society breeds stupidity begs the question, "Is it on purpose?"

If it is on purpose then who controls it and for what purpose
If it isn't on purpose then it is a natural progression

If it is a natural progression
is it just our perspective and the reality is the opposite
if it is true then ... then what?

I think that our general intelligence has greatly advanced as humans.
I think that a partial reason for this is collectivism and equality and trying to educate everyone despite economics
I think that the 'dumb' sense we see in the world is also due to our higher general education
I think that the requirement to educate everyone has lowered the bar for what is considered 'intelligent'

The free market really does bring out the best the fastest. Unrestrained it leads to disadvantage and a gulf between advantage and disadvantage. I think that nature prefers free market while society needs equality. I think the balance is always just out of grasp of control to keep things off balance because we are only human and do not have genetic memory so we do the best we can in the moment that we notice.

Society uncontrolled can accomplish great and terrible things. Controlled it lowers achievement and stabilizes security.

So, I think society can breed stupidity and partially on purpose by political groups and that as a whole we are less 'stupid' then we use to be.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 128
Posted: 9/29/2012 9:08:12 AM

Damned automobile! If people keep using them, what will become of the future of the buggy whip technology!

I wouldnt unload yet; they MAY just make a bounceback yet!

And I hear that the loveshop and sex stores love them; so we have specialty markets too!
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 129
Posted: 9/29/2012 9:24:48 AM

...I think that nature prefers free market while society needs equality....

I think you have less than a basic understanding on how nature works.

As within nature if a living thing gets too big or too powerful, nature has checks and balances in place to bring things back in line and that living thing to cease to exist or its population will be brought back.

She does not allow for anyone thing to maintain dominance over all others.

Nature not only prefers equality, she demands it.
 Aries_328
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 10:39:10 AM

She does not allow for anyone thing to maintain dominance over all others.

Nature not only prefers equality, she demands it.

????.

No really... ?????

Project much? Anthropomorphism much?

So, if you would have called it 'He' that would be God and that would be bad but since you call it 'she' that is mother earth and tree huggers unite?

I really could have swore you were in the 'Nature is a process' camp and had no intelligence which means no checks and balances. Haven't you ever heard of 'invasive species? Haven't you noticed that Man is the dominant animal species? Haven't you noticed that nature isn't a balance? It is a pretty powerful force that really does dominate and holding it back at the borders of a city can be quite daunting? Nature is anything but equal. Adaptation is how that dominance can be overcome. We can do it because we has puny brains.

Nature is not balance. It is a system. It doesn't have checks. It has opposing forces. Man is a will. Nature has no will it is absolute. So, do you think Man made global warming is making her angry? hahahahaha.

There is no negotiations with Nature. There are no agreements. Nature operates one way we try to do things that nature didn't do... like build our houses and city's and methods of travel and all of those things that people do. We then write them down and pass them on for others to continue that effort. It takes brains and the opposite of stupidity. Our baseline intelligence is higher than a century ago just by the fact of sheer volume of available information. It is a different intelligence because it requires different skills. Inner cities have different intelligence's then rural farmers.

As far as you assertion that the intelligence of nature does not allow for any one thing to maintain dominance over all others... Not entirely sure what you mean but I think you are saying that nature can just shrug her shoulders and wipe out all of our cities and whatever dominance we thought we have is crumbled in an instant... Well, not sure if you meant that or not but it is true. Whatever you meant by it... putting thoughts on it and humanizing it is pretty funny to me, but that's just me.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 131
Posted: 9/29/2012 12:18:42 PM

I really could have swore you were in the 'Nature is a process' camp and had no intelligence which means no checks and balances. Haven't you ever heard of 'invasive species? Haven't you noticed that Man is the dominant animal species? Haven't you noticed that nature isn't a balance? It is a pretty powerful force that really does dominate and holding it back at the borders of a city can be quite daunting? Nature is anything but equal. Adaptation is how that dominance can be overcome. We can do it because we has puny brains.

You have just proved once again you have little to no understanding of nature.

Nature is always trying to maintain balance, which is why when one species gets out of line there are checks and balances to bring it back into line. If one was to think that this happens overnight and does not take generation to occur they would also be in the camp of people that have no understanding of an eco-system and how it works.

If an animal populations goes beyond its balance, things like disease will come in to thin the heard among other things.

When a population is able to breed beyond its means (ie. produce more offspring that its environment can support) you will have weaker offspring which is what has been happening to humans for some time. Examples of this can be seen everywhere.
 Aries_328
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 12:42:15 PM
How to decide...
Are we getting dumber?
Is it on purpose or natural?
If on purpose then who is doing it?
If it is natural what does that mean?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/the-closing-of-the-the-liberal-lefts-mind/2012/04/01/gIQA8g6cpS_blog.html

The analysis begins from a nonpolitical fact: Numerous studies of both the UC system and of higher education nationwide demonstrate that students who graduate from college are increasingly ignorant of history and literature. They are unfamiliar with the principles of American constitutional government. And they are bereft of the skills necessary to comprehend serious books and effectively marshal evidence and argument in written work.

That fits nicely with this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY3b1a-zGwA0s

at around 32 minutes he goes into the 'whole language' approach used to teach. The****and jane style of learning to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_language

Whole language describes a literacy philosophy which emphasizes that children should focus on meaning and strategy instruction. It is often contrasted with phonics-based methods of teaching reading and writing which emphasize instruction for decoding and spelling.

Whole language is also possibly linked to dyslexia
http://www.educationnews.org/articles/whole-language-causes-dyslexia-.html

he matrix of proof - "connecting the dots" - draws upon the National Reading Panel report (2000), brain research at UCLA and Yale, and data from a new testing tool that quantifies the damage to children's reading that manifests as a "whole-word dyslexia"

Where does Whole Language philosophy come from?
from the earlier wiki link.

The whole language approach to phonics grew out of Noam Chomsky's ideas about language acquisition. In 1967

Who is Noam Chomsky?

In his late twenties, Chomsky became a reader of the periodical Living Marxism, which was published in Chicago by Marxist thinker Paul Mattick (1904–1981), a council communist. The magazine critically assessed the situation in Joseph Stalin's Soviet Union and the developments of the Second World War. Although he rejected its Marxist theoretical basis, Chomsky would become heavily influenced by the council communist movement, voraciously reading the Living Marxism articles by the likes of Antonie Pannekoek and Karl Korsch.[49] Chomsky came to know Mattick personally, but would later describe him as "too orthodox a Marxist for my taste".[50] He also took a great interest in the political theories of the Marlenites, an obscure group of American anti-Stalinist Marxists led by George Spiro who had united under the Leninist League. The Marlenites argued that the Second World War was "phoney" because it had been orchestrated by Western capitalists and the "state capitalists" governing the Soviet Union in order to crush the European proletariat, a viewpoint Chomsky agreed with.

So, the links are there. What would the 'Art of War' say about the links?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 133
Posted: 9/29/2012 5:03:07 PM

The analysis begins from a nonpolitical fact: Numerous studies of both the UC system and of higher education nationwide demonstrate that students who graduate from college are increasingly ignorant of history and literature. They are unfamiliar with the principles of American constitutional government. And they are bereft of the skills necessary to comprehend serious books and effectively marshal evidence and argument in written work.

So to address the problem, one needs to look at the source.

Look into how the curriculum for high schools are chosen based on the text books available.

Learn how the whole text book business works and see how states like Texas are able to influence what goes into them and the lies and untruths that have been injected.

Also consider that the majority of history is written by the winners, thus reading must be done with that in mind.

Kids are coming out of schools dumber because of the dummies that are controlling the curriculum combines with school programs like "No Child Left Behind" that do nothing to but encourage a teach the test atmosphere and do nothing to advance the learning process.
 Aries_328
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 5:38:57 PM

So to address the problem, one needs to look at the source.

What if you don't like what you find? Ignore it?

Source of American Education Theory:
John Dewey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_education

The "Progressive Education Movement," starting in the 1880s and lasting for sixty years, helped boost American public schools from a budding idea to the regular norm. John Dewey, a principal figure in this movement from the 1880s to 1904, set the tone for educational philosophy as well as concrete school reforms. His reactions to the prevailing theories and practices in education, corrections made to these philosophies, and recommendations to teachers and administrators to embrace “the new education,” provide a vital account of the history of the development of educational thinking in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.4 Dewey placed so called pragmatism above moral absolutes and helped give rise to situational ethics.

When it started really going wrong. The Moral Majority period
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/27/newt-gingrich-betrayed-ronald-reagan/

Although Mr. Gingrich was an unknown congressman after being elected in 1978, he was one of the very few Republicans who voted for the creation of the Department of Education under Jimmy Carter, a position Reagan abhorred and a central campaign whipping boy in the 1980 campaign.

What it is now.
http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/focus/goals.html

The Department of Education has identified a limited number of priority goals that will be a particular focus over the next two years. These goals, which will help measure the success of the Department's cradle-to-career education strategy, reflect the importance of teaching and learning at all levels of the education system. These goals are consistent with the Department's four-year Strategic Plan and will be used to regularly monitor and report progress. To view information on all Department programs

Cradle to career?

Improve outcomes for all children from birth through third grade.

Improve outcomes from birth? Education at birth?

Sigh... I'm sure no baby left behind is going to be a raging success... What is the purpose of all of this?

So... I know where I can't help landing every time I look. Show me a different perspective that says that it isn't a left wing controlled and dominated system that has lead to a miserable and ineffective and weak education... Origins, relationships, idologies, philosophies and actions matter.

Is it too late? Funny, I don't think so. No one believes it is occurring so they wouldn't notice if it was wiped out. Abolish the Dept of education and turn it back into a statistical collection office. Collect numbers but under no circumstances dictate outcomes. But, teachers union have to be dealt with. The new home of predators needs to be exposed. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443437504577547313612049308.html

In the last five years in New York City, 97 tenured teachers or school employees have been charged by the Department of Education with sexual misconduct.

Has society bred stupidity or is it something else?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/29/2012 5:55:01 PM

So... I know where I can't help landing every time I look. Show me a different perspective that says that it isn't a left wing controlled and dominated system that has lead to a miserable and ineffective and weak education... Origins, relationships, idologies, philosophies and actions matter.

I did.

As I addressed the curriculum which is seriously lacking in facts which I believe is a big cause in the reason why people in university are doing poorly in history.

With regards to the education system and how it is run it once again falls to:

Step 1: Underfund system to the point that failures are exposed.

Step 2: Point out failures in system.

Step 3: Profit.

It is all about big business wanting a piece of that education pie and convincing people that the future is in selling your kids education to the lowest bidder.

One can not blame the system without looking at how the system is run and in comparison to well funded private schools who seem to do a great job in turning out the best and brightest, but one of the major differences between the two, is the amount of funding that is allocated.

So has the failure to understand that a sound investment in the populations education pays dividends in the end or has society breed stupidity into the people that think it should be trusted to the highest bidder?

For reference read:

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
James W. Loewen (Author)

Americans have lost touch with their history, and in this thought-provoking book, Professor James Loewen shows why. After surveying twelve leading high school American history texts, he has concluded that not one does a decent job of making history interesting or memorable. Marred by an embarrassing combination of blind patriotism, mindless optimism, sheer misinformation, and outright lies, these books omit almost all the ambiguity, passion, conflict, and drama from our past....
 Aries_328
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 6:17:15 PM

did.

As I addressed the curriculum which is seriously lacking in facts which I believe is a big cause in the reason why people in university are doing poorly in history.

With regards to the education system and how it is run it once again falls to:

Step 1: Underfund system to the point that failures are exposed.

Step 2: Point out failures in system.

Step 3: Profit.

But none of this is true in the least since your premise starts out, "underfund system to the point that failures are exposed."

??? Are you saying we don't spend enough on education? That we underfund it? The money is stolen by the unions.
the us spends almost $2000 more per child than the next highest country
http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/

So what are you trying to say? That we should underfund the system to expose the true failures? There is some logic there. I don't understand why its so difficult to see that the people that control the education system are the progressive liberals and that everything we have wrong with our system is a direct result of their idologies and philosophies of outcome. The attempt to set standards based testing was an attempt to have demonstrable accountability so what do the educators do.. they teach to the test.

Your assertion that it is corporatism is pretty baseless. There were some attempts by the schools over the past few years to find funding elsewhere and that lead to very bizarre intrusion by corporations in the school. I think most of that is now pretty much gone.

Public education is pretty much completely government owned operated and maintained from local, state, federal. To say it isn't is pretty bizarre. There are private schools and non government schools and they often have higher reputations.

I didn't find the original source of study but another article referencing it
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1670063,00.html

By contrast, achievement tests measure the amount of material students have committed to memory in any particular field.) Combined with high-school grades, SAT scores are the best predictor of how kids will do in their freshman year of college. And the data in the new study shows that private-school students outperform public-school students on the SAT.

Isn't that just because richer private-school kids can afford to be coached more before the SAT? No — remember that this study carefully controlled for socioeconomic status. Rather, it appears private schools do more to develop students' critical-thinking abilities — not just the rote memorization required to do well on achievement tests.

Money isn't the problem.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >