Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > MARDI GRAS AFTERMATH - 2nd try! lol      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dodieodo
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Pics Up!Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Someone mention Margaritas??? I usually wait for Wed. nights at Casa but a nice frozen Margarita sounds pretty darn good right about now! Make it a Cadillac Margarita please?!
 Ms_Lookn4fun
Msg: 52
MARDI GRAS AFTERMATH - 2nd try! lol
Posted: 3/9/2009 6:45:08 PM
gee Marsh, you coulda emailed me and asked for an earlier time, just now saw this!
Yea, I'm with Dodie, Wed nights at Casa ;)
 TheKidof72
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/9/2009 6:54:29 PM
did someone say Wednesday night at Casa for Margaritas Now if we have some cowboys show up, I think I will be in heaven.
 TheKidof72
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:04:28 PM
Why do I have the urge to start singing "Can you feel the love tonight" when I see Bay and Skip going at it

I can see what's happening
(What?)
And they don't have a clue
(Who?)
They'll fall in love and here's the bottom line
Our trio's down to two.
(Oh.)

The sweet caress of twilight
There's magic everywhere
And with all this romantic atmosphere
Disaster's in the air

Can you feel the love tonight?
The peace the evening brings
The world, for once, in perfect harmony
With all its living things

So many things to tell her
But how to make her see
The truth about my past? Impossible!
She'd turn away from me

He's holding back, he's hiding
But what, I can't decide
Why won't he be the king I know he is
The king I see inside?

The peace the evening brings
The world, for once, in perfect harmony
With all its living things

You needn't look too far
Stealing through the night's uncertainties
Love is where they are

And if he falls in love tonight
It can be assumed
His carefree days with us are history
In short, our pal is doomed

FatBottomGirlie
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:22:26 PM
Hey Froggy, you have me add you to the upload list! You're good to go so upload when you get the chance!
 ladymoonmoth
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/9/2009 8:47:17 PM
kenny
you said i owed you big time, I think I am afraid to ask what that debt my entail to pay it off. LOL
 ladymoonmoth
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/9/2009 8:58:44 PM
Dodie,
what time on Wednesday's and which Casa....

I'm all about those margaritas

previouslyme
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:04:26 PM
There is a great little place in Belleville that has them $1 every day! Very popular but well hidden!
 314kenny
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:05:41 PM
It's all good Phyllis. Have your people get in touch with my people and we'll work out the terms. Happy birthday sweetheart. Hope you had a good time. LOL...Kenny
 previouslyme
Msg: 60
Pics Up!
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:13:12 PM
Randy's pose is awesome! Told you had what it takes to wear a kilt!
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 61
Okay, I'm SORRY but I have to say it..LOL!
Posted: 3/10/2009 5:56:38 AM
I've been reading all of the posts on the 50/50 and the costs that the hosts and hostesses often bear and I can tell you that I agree that we, as a community, need to support these functions at which we have so much FUN! HOWEVER, playing the devil's advocate for just a moment, the organizers can't put a donations box in a dark corner and expect that people will see it - they won't. And you can't expect that attendess will read all of the messages on this board - I post on here and even I don't read all of these messages.

So what I'm proposing, for future events, is that you have a tenacious female and male fishie (or more) work the room, say hello to people and remind them that the parties are not FREE to host and organize and suggest that they donate. I have been to about 5 POF parties and I have never had anyone ask me for a donation. I think when people arrive at these parties they're more concerned with who's there than paying attention to administrative issues. They're not being cheap, but rather are probably just preoccupied with OTHER thoughts that night.

As far as the "DONATION REMINDERS" - it would be a quick half hour stint around the room and I suggest you do it later in the evening when everyone is having FUN and would willing to support anything you put in front of them - literally. I'm laying down odds that if you reminded people at the parties and got more proactive in your approach, you would have MUCH more success in covering costs. Think of it like an enterprise - that's what it is - so you have to be more personal and engaged in your donations efforts. Plus, this could be one of the most desirable volunteer positions at the party - not stuck in one place greeting or putting on name tags but walking around the party with a very good REASON to go up and talk to everyone. Especially the ones that you would not otherwise screw up the nerve to go and talk to. (scratching my head) Hhmmmm! Is there, like an application I could fill out someplace?

Gosh, I think I'm liking the sounds of this job....but it will be awhile before I attend another party, as my schedule is nuts lately. But I'm sure that there are other fishies out there in the pond who could pick up the torch, be the "DONATION REMINDER" and increase donations to cover the expenses.

Wow, I feel so empowered! I've possibly created two new jobs today!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/10/2009 7:05:32 AM
LOL...ok,...in defense of the "invisible donation boxes"...Marty & I worked the door at this event, for the first hour...I have no clue how many came through by 8, but if you did...every single one of you were told about the 50/50 Split the Pot...that you write your name on as many dollars as you wish to play....that you could win half the pot!....I then added, "The other half covers the expenses of the party!"

The box was front and center when one walked in....AND...Miss Shellie worked the entire ballroom walking it around before the actual draw. *I* am the one who moved the sign from above the box to the FRONT DOOR, so that it was visible to read prior to getting IN the entranceway, cause it was causing too much congestion. At the parties I have hosted with 50/50...*I* worked the room, as well as Keith, Truda, and others. You are correct! It IS fun...but work! One tends to lose their vocal chords telling it over and over! LOL

At every party I have done 50/50 at...it is VERY MUCH VISIBLE at the table where you get your nametags....as well as walked around before the draw. Honestly, in defense of those who do not donate...I think it is a larger percentage of those who do not realize that the money goes to expenses...they believe it is just there as a contest, and does not interest them. Maybe we should eliminate 50/50 and just stick with flat out donations??

I do agree that an announcement could/should be made...not sure that we never have, actually....but the main thing is...we DO NOT WISH FOR this to become an issue that stands at attention. :O( Seriously...we do not WANT to beg for dollars! We wish we did not HAVE to ask! But the ONLY alternate? To halt the parties. I have even considered asking my venues for a "small decor/associated costs fee" in order to bring the parties there...but...that would cut into the generous specials with most.

OK...I know that this has been talked about far too much...but I cannot help but comment when other comment on such. :)
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/10/2009 7:39:11 AM
Kat, you know what? I seriously don't even remember WHO was working the door when I came in - no kidding. I remember walking through there (lots of times!) but there were so many people moving through that doorway, in both directions, and no one (no one) pointed out the donation box to me or told me about the 50/50. Honest!

Tell ya what - at the next party I attend (end of month, maybe?), I will try this out with your blessing and I will lay a $5 wager that I can increase donations by...(thinking)..I'm gonna go 25% conservatively. The gauntlet has been thrown down! If I do not make this goal, you may throttle me mercilessly and forever curse my good name.

Deal?
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/10/2009 8:00:17 AM
*I* was working the door when you came in, Sue-De!

And...I complimented you on your new shirt...we talked about the bra strap falling down feeling...Marty placed some beads on ya, as well as I...and I said, "We have 50/50 toooooooooo! Put your name on a dolla, and holla!" (in a silly, mocking tone!)

Maybe THAT's the deal....we door greeters are just sooo mesemerizing, and that coupled with the excitement of GETTING IN....LMAO!....well...blows people away?
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/10/2009 8:01:34 AM
Rats - so close and yet so far. Wish I could make it, Skip, but I am on mom duty this week. I respectfully request a raincheck!

Kat, I may have been having a senior moment because, while I do vaguely remember talking to you, and I did get beads, I swear on my LIFE I do not recall the 50/50 comment or being asked for a donation. I'm not being obtuse - I sincerely don't! Are you going to take me up on my challenge?

HarleyKat~
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/10/2009 8:21:39 AM
And you coulda put a buck in for all I know! I was not tracking who was or was not! (as if we have a hit list?!) LMAO

Hey....go for the challenge...you will be attending the 'Patrick was a Saint....but I Ain't" Party on the 21st of this month??

Kinda hard to gauge a percentage increase...so many variants...venue, number of attendees, mentioning it a million times in the threads...LOL...but I am willing to wager $5 to have you walk around with the bucket so *I* don't hafta'! Hell...Debi is bringing a birthday cake for that one...and OMGawd...her cakes are incredulous...I want my attention on it, and feeding others it!
 green eyed cougar
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/10/2009 11:32:50 AM
Sue, I certainly hope you plan to make it to the party on the 21st. Phoenix, JustaFemale and I plan on doing the good-looking man tour, however, this time we "peeps" are going to take a visual tour prior to the actual tour to avoid that ducks in a row look
 SusieStL
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/10/2009 11:38:21 AM
ok , I am not sorry for saying this.

At one of the parties last year I guess it was, I walked around with a bucket asking folks for donations towards the decorations. People acted as if the Strat furnished all of that. I was shocked. I will say that I ended up collecting about $250 but it was like talking folks into it. Not all, but a lot. People would give me this look, roll their eyes...I was about ready to lay into a few but I decided to pick my battles.

So, it has been thought of. It has been done. However with as many people that were there, it was a pathetic about collected. If every person had to put in $1 there would be a lot of $$$$$$ to help cover the cost AND maybe that would prompt more folks, instead of the same selected few, to host a party.

Kat, when you send out the mass email are you able to mention the donations to assist with the decorations?
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:19:24 PM
Sorry...after this, I am no longer responding to anything to do with donations, dollars, 50/50...as my account is at risk for permanent deletion for some reason I am waiting to discover about...tis the only thing I can think of?! WTF?
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 70
Good Looking Man Tour
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:03:16 PM
however, this time we "peeps" are going to take a visual tour prior to the actual tour

Ground reconnaissance prior to selection - I like it! Perhaps we could pool our money and invest in some infrared night vision goggles so that no good looking men escape our attention in the low light of the Strat ballroom! I won't be able to make the St. Patty's Day Party, unfortunately, as I am on MOM DUTY but look forward to trying out this new tactic very soon! Maybe we should all dress in camouflage, too, so they can't run when they see us coming!
 green eyed cougar
Msg: 71
Good Looking Man Tour
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:52:01 PM
The Good Looking Man Tour, coming to a bar near you...
 green eyed cougar
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/10/2009 2:00:06 PM
I say if I had to choose between less parties due to lack of funds or parties with no decorations, Id pick the latter. I have a good time and think Id have just as good a time with or without decorations. I enjoy the people, the friends, the company and of course, the drinks....

No sense in any one getting in trouble due to not following guidelines or whatever. I say we just get together and have fun...
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/10/2009 2:12:20 PM
Depends on the venue, really. At the Strat, the ballroom is just a big, cold, dark room without some sort of decor. It's about ambience, atmosphere.

At other bars...it's partially that, and about making it a PLENTYOFFISH SINGLES event, and not just a bunch of people in a bar...same ole, same ole.

And of course...it's also about new (can we say FRESH!?) members! Otherwise the pond would grow....stagnant.

Edit to add: One last thought. People "pretty up" themselves to make it a special night, too. Most do not just walk into a party from being out mowing the lawn! LOL If the decor has NADA to do with anything...the "special stuff" means nuttin'...then why are the parties with those things, so much bigger and better? It's a fact that the THEMED parties are the most successful. :)
 previouslyme
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/10/2009 2:26:29 PM
I think that is what changes the events from meeting at a bar~ to~ going to a party. Sounds better saying you are going to a party! The theme, and following through with the theme make it a more personal event. I guess you don't know what to expect till you get there for new places. But I agree, the strat ball room prob would be like a cave, but we all fit! How about the gazebo? Would it have been fine without adding to it?
 green eyed cougar
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/10/2009 2:54:48 PM
Kat, yeah...I can see that at the ballroom at the Strat. I'm not quite sure why they painted the walls black, I'm sure they had their reason but to me it does make it too dark and dreary. I can't imagine having a wedding reception there or even a company party.

I've been to parties, like Bobby's Place, and still had a great time regardless. No, I didn't get dressed up like I did for NYE, but still dressed like I was going out and ended up having a great time and meeting new people.

I agree we do need new members to come. I invite people I talk to from other sites, friends from work, etc. and ask them to come/sign up.

Themed parties do help bring in the crowds I believe and it's possible they can still be done but just without all the expense.
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > MARDI GRAS AFTERMATH - 2nd try! lol