Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF an      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 az2000
Msg: 214
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?Page 13 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I think PoF is great. But, I think the "serious member" thing confuses two very great ideas.

1) A way to show that someone is a serious relationship seeker.
... A personality profile gauging whether an individual is a perenial online dater (instead of real-life dater).

2) A way for supporters of PoF to show their support financially (and recognized as a supporter).

I think both of those things are good ideas. And, I think $5-$6 a month is a huge bargain especially when it's just a donation (not an actual fee).

I just think that tying the two together seemed odd. I thought I was taking a survey to show my serious. I was surprised after taking the survey to find I was solicited to pay money.

I think it would be better to have two badges. "Serious Member" and "Financial Supporter."

In the latter case, even let the supporter choose any amount above $5 to increase the multiplier value of the badge (x1 to x10).

Just my thoughts. I'm not complaining.
 caringkaren
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?
Posted: 9/16/2009 2:36:07 PM
Hi.. Ive had SERIOUS MEMBER attached to my profile, for free since it started some months ago... I know i dont visit the site as often as i used too. but lately ive found i get no mail at all even after displaying a new photo...

I feel that the SERIOUS MEMBER is putting people off, at first i thought,, good, its stopping the players... but now i think its stopping everyone

Any others found this a problem
 kow626
Msg: 216
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?
Posted: 4/9/2010 10:19:34 PM
i notice it says this on the inbox page now under the upgrade link:

*only users who are capable of forming and maintaining strong long term relationships may upgrade*

got me to thinking that if we really could, then why would we be on pof? wouldn't we be enjoying our relationship with our partner instead of on this or any other dating site?

i get it though. based on some questionnaire some of us took, i guess it determines who actually is of the right mindset to form and maintain an ltr versus serial daters, those who are just looking for a shag, or those that are simply testing the waters and aren't sure of what they want.

i'm one of those people who knows exactly what i want and have 'long term' as my 'looking for' status on my profile. so i guess the pof system thinks i'm upgradeable. but i ain't payin' for no membership, that's for sure! i've heard all throughout these forums that some chicks got that badge for free for reasons that haven't fully presented themselves. why not me if i'm being told i meet the criteria? why not everyone who really and truly does and they can do away with trying to make some bread by charging for the badge?

i think everyone should have the opportunity to retake that test and from there, it'll be determined who's serious and who's not cuz attitudes and people do change. let's start it from scratch. those who answer the questions honestly and are determined by the system to be serious daters looking for something real should be the ONLY ones who have the badge and access to special features that come along with it (if any). everyone else is a$$ out until and if they shape up their dating outlook.

now, it makes me wonder if everyone sees that text that i see under the upgrade link or just people in my boat who answered questions a certain way and are being solicited to be a serious member?
 damnyankee1977
Msg: 217
Posted: 4/10/2010 6:27:32 PM
I've got the same thing under mine, and I've never taken any of the survey things on here. I don't think that admin would refuse anyone's money if they wanted to upgrade, regardless of real and/or assumed relationship capabilities.

It's kind of a mind trick thing I think. It's kinda saying, if your not a serious member, then your not serious about relationships. Admin may be hoping you'll want to prove him wrong enough to pay the fee's, get your gold star/badge thingy.

Who knows, I'm just here to laugh at my local ponds ponds profiles, lurk the forums for lots of laughs, and once in awhile, actually meet someone that isn't a good ole' country boy who lives to go fishin' huntin' and muddin'....ugh, that's a whole different thread.
 kow626
Msg: 218
Posted: 4/10/2010 6:39:00 PM
^^^^^oh, trust me, markus the kingpin ain't getting not one rusted out penny from me to be a member of this site or to get a 'badge of honor.' i think that feature can be used for something more useful though. plus, since several chicks have been GIVEN the thing, its monetary value automatically becomes worthless. why would i pay for something (in relation to this site) that's given away for free?

at least now i know that new text under the upgrade link is just another ploy for profit. i'll bet some people will actually bite too. can't hate if people take the bait.
 Kimberish925
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2010 1:28:05 PM
While I'm not up in arms about the whole "Serious" Member badge I didn't appreciate it being given to me with out my permission. At the time it first came out I think we were asked if we would consider it and I answered Maybe...from there I was Serious Member, free of charge. I had it removed, took less than 24 hours.
Why does anyone paying or not make them more or less serious. Please, if it worked that way the pay sites would be sufficient. Through trial and error they are no different than here, this is just a much bigger, more diverse pond on every level.

Even though I'm not intersted in the bupgrade, the new statement on the site...

*only users who are capable of forming and maintaining strong long term relationships may upgrade*

...really ticks me off. Who is making the judgement on who is capable, what are the parimeters? and Isn't the statement ironic? If we were able to maintain strong long term relationships why would we be here?? Just sayin'....

If it simply said restrictions apply, I would understand but it just comes off as derogatory...kind of like E-Harmony aka rejection central...lol.
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 220
Posted: 5/2/2012 5:11:04 AM
I am very grateful for POF. I am grateful that the owner makes a chunk of change from this site. I am not grateful that more and more of what was once free is now no longer free.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?