Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF an      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TakeAChance_66
Msg: 139
Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?Page 5 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Did "Serious Member" just become "VIP Member"? I just looked at a profile which had a "VIP Member" badge. But then checked out another gold star and found a "Serious Member". Is there a difference? I would have expected all existing badges to cutover if the name was changing.

Krista

Edit:

vvvvvvvvv
Thanks very much. I read that thread the other day, but I guess he posted about that option later.
 +bRyAn+
Msg: 140
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?
Posted: 3/15/2009 2:51:41 PM

The issue is not really about the feature itself...it is the IMPLICATION that dishing out xx amount of dollars, makes one a "serious dater" or "serious member." (In it's conception, it was being referred to as "serious DATER." "Serious Member" IS LESS OFFENSIVE in my eyes!) All it DOES mean is that, someone forked out xx amount of dollars.

Shows where there money management are as well lol
 TakeAChance_66
Msg: 142
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?
Posted: 3/15/2009 8:52:45 PM

How can anyone be serious or be taken seriously that can't even muster up a answer?
Why would a "serious member" badge make anyone more likely to answer an email? The badge/money spent means they are serious about finding someone - the *right* someone, for *them*. Not keeping every happy who tries to email them.

In fact, I would suspect that serious members would be even more selective about who they are willing to communicate with, to avoid wasting their time with those contacts who are obvious (to them) mismatches from the get-go. But once they decide to meet someone, they would be less like to "flake" and disappear.

At least that's my take on how a true serious member would operate on here.
 fletcher.hardon
Msg: 144
How do we remove upgrade status?
Posted: 3/15/2009 10:54:29 PM
I was told that POF was sold to match dot com?

True or false?

the above has nothing to do with the posted subject (but addressed further down) - read the posted rules for thread replies, and read the advisory at the top of this this thread - Trappedonbayst
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 145
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:41:04 AM
How can anyone be serious or be taken seriously that can't even muster up a answer?

I completely agree with this statement! If you want to be taken as a "serious member/dater" then it is assumed the person would consider the courtesy of returning emails, even if it was a "thanks, but no thanks." I guess that is one of the "POF yellow pox" symptoms/side effects???...it removes a person's common manners and hikes up their little self built pedestal?

I wonder if anyone who was offered the badge for free, declined such?

I know of a couple people who have claimed to have gotten the badge for free, as well. They are both female, and are rarely on POF. Maybe Markus is trying to kill two birds with one stone...market the dot, and revive some dead/stagnant accounts? Maybe he presented the "gift" to be something bestowed to "popular" members...but my guess is he knows that the members who are already here, will continue such....that he needs to pull in the stagnant, takes up space but accomplishes nothing, accounts? Sort of like how the "guys/girls who think you are hot" methodology...LMAO!

I see NOTHING wrong with doling out some freebie dots....it's a marketing aspect...no different than Yoplait giving out free yogurt or Kellog mailing out cereal samples. And his doling them out to more (exclusively?) females than men, is sort of a "Ladies Night" attitude...give free drinks to draw in the Ladies...the men will come.

Nope...my pickle with this concept is still just the fact that paying $xx does not make you anything but a paid member with more points to send those virtual gifts! (Which makes the virtual gifts even less valuable!)
 markus
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 2:14:32 PM
The users who got free serious status where members that...

1. Actively tried looking for others.
2. Did not message users looking for intimate encounters.
3. Weren't blocked or reported by other users.
4. Answer their emails.
5. Users that weren't rude.
6. Users who i detected that are actually serious and are using the site for that purpose. ( Tossed in a few random ones to, to see the effects)
 lindy_3333
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 4:42:10 PM
So, if you decide you don't want to pay for the yellow icon anymore, does that mean you are not longer serious?

I am still having issues with the fact the yellow icon indicated you ARE serious!

Let's move on and just have some fun! It has all pretty much been said and done with this thread...The owner will do as he will, and we will do as we will...Now get out there and date and have some FUN!!

dustyknight
Msg: 148
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:01:59 PM
1. Actively tried looking for others.
2. Did not message users looking for intimate encounters.
3. Weren't blocked or reported by other users.
4. Answer their emails.
5. Users that weren't rude.
6. Users who i detected that are actually serious and are using the site for that purpose. ( Tossed in a few random ones to, to see the effects)

Sir, you are admin and I respect that..but I personally saw ads where the folks are not dating and 2 for a fact, lie about their age, are not seriously dating anyone..some are married and a percentage are with someone..
A few of us have been here for a few years, see the same folks who never update pictures or don't even post one.. and their ages are not true ..the list goes on..It's not our job to police anyone but are they serious daters?..
admin...thanks for the site..I do enjoy the forums..are all the moderators canadians?
 SassySky
Msg: 149
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:50:33 PM
I personally missed the thread from Admin. I have been on vacation and well not been here much. I have always respected what Admin and all the mod's have done on this site and it is here for us at such a low cost. FREE... I don't understand how people can complain about that, in saying that I have to admit I would pay the extra what is it 7 dollars a month if I didn't have to have the bloody Gold star on my profile. I feel that should be a choice for us. No offense Admin that to me sounds a bit desperate and needy.

I do understand that the site is huge and the bandwidth must be immense so if Admin wants to off set some of the cost this way why not. I am not sure if the term spoiled is the right one. I think a lot of times it comes down to change. I do believe that there are some that don't like change.

As far as this site being the best I have to agree I did at one time belonged to a Christian dating site. I was paying the tune of 65 a month. I had the distinct unpleasure of being constantly spammed by every pervert, and scammer in the western world. This site each and everytime I have had a problem or a question no matter how minor it was answered with humor and respect.

Spoiled, I am sure some are and others are just leery of any change,then there are going to be some that just can't pay right now with our American finances in the toilet.

Any way just my humble opinion.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 150
Posted: 3/17/2009 6:56:36 AM
Wellll.....it IS still free. NOTHING has been taken away from us as non-upgrade members.

Many sites have different paying options....and you are unable to use certain needed features without at least one of them. Y0u may not be able to initiate email...are you might not even be able to reply when a paying member contacts you!

So I think Markus can still respectfully utilize his "100% free" tagline.

Again...I do not agree with the concept...but I will give fair credit, where fair credit belongs! I am trying to think of it as just another tool on the site...and I do not utilize all the tools on this site! (The hot lists for example)

And since we are limited to three (is it my imagination, or was it originally a 5 post limit? LOL) posts in this thread...hasta la vista, fishies! I would drive myself batty to continue to read the posts here and not be able to reply to something!
 kell618
Msg: 151
Posted: 3/17/2009 11:56:25 AM

They should really change the site header;
PlentyOfFish.com "100% Free. Put Away Your Credit Card."
Not strictly true now, is it?

Thats about my thought as well. Maybe change it to 95% free ?

If the Admin gets the amount of hit's he claims, then the ads for the other paid sites, should easily cover his costs, and put him into the black very easily. But then again, when most people smarten up, and start using adblockers, and other programs that block basically every ad out there (sites load sooo much faster without ads) then I guess he will hav e to fall back to plan B...charge for a site thats "100% Free".
 VainH
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 4:36:33 PM
And at least one of them is a known prostitute.
Known you say. Just how do you know she's a pro. Sorry, had to be asked.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 154
Posted: 3/17/2009 5:58:03 PM
Hmmm....not that I agree with spammers, but I have to wonder if it was someone telling you they did auto glass, home repairs, housecleaning, etc....if you would feel the same? If that is what they do for a living....and you were in contact with them when they offered....

Or was this an unsolicited offer???
 Ticketoride
Msg: 156
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its serv
Posted: 3/18/2009 2:16:01 AM
Appears most of the Posters on this Thread are definitely not serious about Dating.

Seriously now, how can you take the "Unserious" seriously? ...

Minimally we now know that VIPs have Credit Cards or had no Run-Ins with the POF Law. So if you have been "Soft-Trolling" the User-Base, you can now buy back your State of Atonement.

Besides, Women with only a Badge, a Gun and Hat on are smoking hot ... lol

Initially handing out Tons of free "Winner's Circle Certified Profile Seals" to kick-start this "Serious User" Campaign, the Icon plainly visible in widespread User Searches, will leave the Impression esp. on Noobs that it's quite a popular Feature People buy here. Just creating a Perception of that which does not exist in order to sell something. Nothing more.

"Deep Throat's" Quote from "All the President's Men" pretty much sums it up ...

Always follow the Money.

Fortunately this Marketing Number isn't on the same offensive and insulting Level of overly pretentious and hoaky Mail Login Gift Boxes to impress So 'n So ...

That being said, its absolutely true that Pay Sites have more People being married off than Free Sites. That Datum is indisputable. Those I spoke to in "Hitching" Biz locally pitted Lavalife & Match.com into the top Slots. At least 50% said Plentyoffish doesn't even make the Top 10 List. So something has to change.

But then running offensive & sleazy Adult Ads on Site isn't exactly helping Things either.

One Hand feeds on Intimate Encounter/Infidelity Ads as can be seen on the Bottom of the Basic Search Page, the other a little Collection Basket for "serious" designated VIP's. Hence if you click on those Types of Ads you could not possibly be deserving of this new Gold-labeled Status ... lol
 dustyknight
Msg: 158
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its serv
Posted: 3/18/2009 6:13:32 AM
Maybe some form of ID like a valid drivers license with picture, to prove who you are to qualify for a serious or vip dater ..might lend some validity to the yellow caution dot.
The fakes with 10 year old pics and those who are the same age for 3-4 yrs would need to be honest for once.
For somone intelligent enough to create this site and make millions..this certainly was a amatuer mistake.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 159
Posted: 3/18/2009 7:52:14 PM
When you pay for the upgrade you have to enter your address, and I believe it has to match with the address on file with the credit card company in order for the charge to go through.

I am all for the Identification of Users to get some Assurance the Person is who he says he is. Labeling a User a "Serious Member" is an erroneous and unverified Fact on several Fronts:

1. "Serious" is not the same as "Identified".
2. User Messaging Habits do not ensure that Person's Identity.
3. Money Mart Type of Institutions issuing 3rd. Party Credit Cards can still leave that User unidentified.
4. Credit Card Data is no Index of being "Serious" or any good Measure of Dating Habits.

I am sure the Freebie Badges are just a Kick-off and will likely from this Point on run on a Pay-Basis. Nevertheless, those who bought the Emblem do have a substantially higher Chance of being for real. The mere Submission of a Credit Card does ante up the Stakes.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 161
Posted: 3/19/2009 4:36:10 AM
Paid dating sites spend 10's of millions advertising the fact they are for "serious daters".

And thus Users get stereotyped as "Serious" or not. Nothing to do with any Truth, since that is not the Point of Marketing or Propaganda. Great Way to demean most Users in Order to extract a few more Dollars. This will repercuss on them, and on this Site, and do little else but deride the Dating Industry in General give it some Time.

Since when do you follow their Footsteps? The Growth and Popularity of this Site is ample Testimony that you never did before. It was built on an entirely different Basis proving it can be done without extracting a Nickel from anyone.

Your own Claims on the main Page that other Dating Sites are only out to "mine" User Pocket Books, are you now doing that too?

Isn't it ironic that the same Scam Dating Outfits which send out Winks just before a User cancels his Account are the same ones now purporting to serve up "Serious Daters"?

"Serious Dating" is about the Resolutions in each User's Mind, not the Policies or Marketing Ploys of Dating Sites. You would be doing little else but following in their Wings fostering the same false Perceptions they do.

If the little yellow Tokens of "Seriousness" supposedly increases Site Traffic which I rather doubt, also realize the superficial Nature of the Crowd being attracted, giving the Concept of "Being Serious" a whole brand new Meaning. I like to suggest its nothing but a short Term fabricated Aura. Anyone is free to buy a "Golden Star" and play with as many Ladies as he likes, which is more akin to be serious about playing around, as Seriousness does not imply Integrity.

Any User with a well-written Profile, decent and properly positioned Pics has no Use for such Vices; and to insinuate the Majority who won't buy these Insignias as not being serious will only Backlash on them and you, esp. in View of the Fact that the original Road to Success this Site was paved on is gradually being abandoned.

The original cited Intent for the Design of this Site was to make a Stand against the very same abusive and fraudulent Dating Institutions whose Standards of Success are now being persued.

One can not create any Site by preconceived Notions what it will, in due Time, turn out to be. At some Point one has to stand back and review what it has actually become, and not necessarily measured by the same Yardstick utilized by Pay-Fraud Ltds., because it will never be like them, unless its Policies are altered to get into their Line.

At some Point the mathematic statistical Horse Blinders have to come off and one has to see the Site's Assets for what they really are ... a close-knit Community so unique, so different, incomparable to the Clientele of any other Dating Inc., kind of like the Multi-Culturism of Dating.

We are not the same. We are a potpourri Community of Associates, Friends, Get-Togethers and common Involvements, and now and then Mrs. Right walks across our Path, we set a Date, and sometimes find our Match in Heaven.

Of Course we have many People who are not that serious about Dating because we are not being run by a financial Stop Watch toward any Finish Line, we don't have to demand Performance for our annual $ 800 thrown at a couple of Dating Sites to place Mrs. Doe on our Doorstep, we are not under Pressure to find anyone.

That doesn't mean we are not serious, we just have no need to frantically keep the Leash on the monthly Mastercard Statements. Attempting to peddle that off as not being serious is both a Falsehood as well as a Mis-Assigment of Fact. Agreed, some Users are only here to play with the Lives of others, but that does not justify coloring everyone with the same Brush, or set off those who have paid to be designated differently. Trolls can be kept in Check, and have been very effectively so. The Rest is easily resolved by simply acting on Reports in a timely Fashion.

"Dating" is not about any Pressures, which by the very Inception & Purpose of this Site was never Part of the Picture.

The mighty Buck is just about to split a Division among its Users by falsely labeling their Intent by Means of Symbolic Designations, breaking up the very Fabric of the Basis this Site was built on: To freely associate and date as is desirable for each and every one of us, for the Purposes which are uniquely our own.

Destroy that Foundation, and you destroy the House. Those who betray their own Purposes need no Enemies, as those merely assist in ending the Misery and Suffering.

Gradually the Purpose has lost its Air, its Vision being sold out.

At one Time the Halls of POF echoed the Sounds of Integrity ...
 Hockey Momma
Msg: 162
Posted: 3/19/2009 6:56:37 AM
In the beginning, all I got was messages regarding my appearance and not much as to suggest that anyone was looking for more than marathon dating or chatting.
I, for one, was quite shocked to find myself listed as a serious member. Yes, I had looked at the little ad... but thought to myself... as I keep my profile hidden most of the time that I much preferred to remain anonymous and fish on my own. I have not paid one dime to be upgraded.
I do not believe that a different color or a gold dot makes anyone look at your profile any more than they would without. I do, however, understand the charge for this as in this economy, everyone needs to make money. And let's face it... we are all looking for something, some more seriously than others, or we would not be on this site.
Are we spoiled? No, we are just a product of the internet dating age.
 velobob
Msg: 163
Posted: 3/19/2009 11:25:45 AM
There are some features of POF that are lacking:

The "Women Who think you are hot" is pointless!

The "viewed me" listing of users who viewed you at some point, and sorted by when they were last online or sorted by when they last visited your profile is backwards. It's actually sorted by when the FIRST visited your profile in the last few months or so. What I want to know who looked TODAY! I don't care if they looked at some time in the past.

Give me a way to block other members from actually viewing my profile and vice-versa.

The chemistry match where you can "Block up to 5 attributes you DON'T LIKE": What does the "low", "medium" and "high" mean? Don't answer me here. It should be clear THERE what it means. The general syntax and grammar used around the website could be improved upon a great deal.

Here in the forums, regardless of what has been claimed, the search function doesn't accomplish much. This seems mainly due to the abundance of threads that have poorly written or misspelled subject lines. There are many very old forums that people end up duplicating because of either the poor subject lines or just because they are so old. If a forum is deleted, I want to know why? And where is the proper forum if it was a duplicate? The forums are supposed to become some kind of historical narrative or something like that. Right! When is that going to take place? All the problems in the forums are always blamed on the uneducated users. WRONG! Markus and the moderators need to get a handle on the situation.

My point:
I realize this site is operated by only ONE person and with that in mind it amazes me that it is as good as it is. I realize for some of these thing to be improved upon will take some serious manpower. If Markus is going to add staff with the money he gets from the "serious member" campaign, then I'm all for it and will be first in line to sign up. If he is just going to pocket the money along with the many thousands a day he claims he already makes, then no. He can rightfully do whatever he wants with the money and the website. The direction he takes things will determine whether or not he gets my money.
 southernlass
Msg: 164
Posted: 3/20/2009 12:22:42 AM

At some Point the mathematic statistical Horse Blinders have to come off and one has to see the Site's Assets for what they really are ... a close-knit Community so unique, so different, incomparable to the Clientele of any other Dating Inc., kind of like the Multi-Culturism of Dating.

We are not the same. We are a potpourri Community of Associates, Friends, Get-Togethers and common Involvements, and now and then Mrs. Right walks across our Path, we set a Date, and sometimes find our Match in Heaven.

This ^ is so completely on point and worded so right that it
can't be improved upon. Thank you, Ticket, for your integrity,
for caring about us here enough to post this. This is what I've
always thought about us here at plentyoffish. I was very distraught
when our politics/religion/current events forums got taken
off the main menu because of this very reason. This site is unique
and special. The site seems to draw an element of people that are
down to earth and real, and those we can interact with in the
forums are intelligent and fun.

I hope that the owner, Markus, will take your post under serious
consideration and put our site's interest first. It's more than a money
maker or a dating business; it's become a community of all of us and
I would like to see it stay that way.

Thank you.
 =RCM=
Msg: 165
Posted: 3/20/2009 7:52:37 AM
I just came back and found the system myself. I don't really think it will change the community all that much. It's not as if paid users become moderators, judges, etc. The price is certainly more wallet friendly than other sites, but again basic features were free to begin with so you're "purchasing" less overall compared to other sites.

All in all if it benefits someone, they should purchase the upgrade. For people like me who pop in and out there's no point. Hard to believe so many people are in a huff about it though.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 166
Posted: 3/20/2009 9:00:28 AM

Bravo, Bravo!!!!! Seriously....that caused a lump in my throat and my eyes to well up! Damn allergies!

I am impressed! THIS should be the new tag! :O)

@Ticket!
 breath~
Msg: 167
Posted: 3/21/2009 5:05:51 AM
Very well said, Tickettoride!
Thank you for that.

(Oh, I noticed that now there is a true/false test to take if ya want to pay for a gold dot... to weed out the players, it says. I kinda think the players would just play (lie) in the test!)
 Ed Bear
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 6:14:54 AM
Let me start by saying that I really like Plenty Of Fish, and am grateful for the idea, as well as its constant innovation and responsiveness - even though things look a bit rough at times.

I'm posting here because I was funneled in when wanting to reply to the Serious Member pitch asking if I'd be more interested in "serious" members.

The answer: NO.

Before PoF, I never considered using online dating because it was obviously such a trap. The world has too many opportunists seeking to exploit the poor and lonely! Don't you get angry when a "job offer" turns out to be a scam or an ad for "courses?"

First, there's the personal and public degradation of paying to meet people. And no, I don't hang around in bars to meet people, and it's for the same reason. They're advertising human contact but selling overpriced booze.

Back in the BBS era, many a popular BBS would "go pay" when traffic was heavy, but that inevitably killed the place off. Everyone would go to the next free site immediately, so a Pay BBS was usually a dead and lonely one (or a secret pirate warezhouse).

Being universally non-paying makes us a community with an investment in giving as well as taking. Paid members expect things - there's a sense of entitlement that leads to discourtesy, impatience and anger. Paid members expect to TAKE more than give, if they are prepared to give at all.

As a non-paying member, I understand that everyone else has needs and desires too, and they matter EXACTLY as much to those people as mine do to me. I reply to what seem poor matches with a thanks and good luck, not anger and insult, and most of those I hear from do, too.

Markus has a tough choice - wanting to up the income without turning into a pocket-picking gallery like all those other pay sites. His greeting screen points out the mixed motivation of sites seeking to keep people unlinked and coming back. My feeling on seeing this is that people who pay are people expecting a free series of casual exploitations.

Perhaps volunteering (like moderating or photo rating) would be a way to let members contribute... or asking for donations and honoring them with a badge.

*** Having replied to the question about whether I'd be attracted to anyone who'd paid, I'll go on to say that learning of the free gold dots made me think it an error on Markus' part.*** Sure, dotbearers are getting more views and e-mails - I sure as heck looked to see what sort of people would pay for the label. But then, I don't let people see whether I've viewed them.

Free dots devalue whatever meaning they had.

*** Not being able to remove an uninvited dot is really nasty***, and I really hope that will be remedied soon. I would NOT want to attract the sort of people who are attracted by willingness to pay to come first. I'd expect them to be less interested in what I would be seeking and more in "getting their money's worth" from me.

I agree the term "serious member" is probably a particularly bad choice. Aren't we all serious in seeking human contact for some reason or other? How is "serious" supposed to be an attractive quality? For people seeking only marriage? Or a dowry?

I am VERY grateful for the opportunity PoF has given us to meet people from all over and to provide an alternative that knocks the wind out of the pay-scam sites' trickery, fake respondents, and constant upgrade costs. The fact that pay sites advertise here is a charming irony, because frankly I can't imagine who wouldn't rather go the other way save gold-diggers and snobs. People who use pay sites as a steady source of NSA sex tell me they are constantly trying to filter out the prostitutes using the sites as business headquarters.

But I'd sadly leave a Pay-PoF. Back to Craigslist. (Well, I'd never been there before trying PoF, so perhaps it's not "back".) I loved being a PARTICIPANT in the BBS days, rather than a CONSUMER/TARGET in the post-Al-Gore web of greed. Heck, I even quit my web service when that happened, just keeping an e-mail link. I use PoF from public terminals and freinds's houses for that reason. The Web's a cesspool today because of it, and even e-mail's been drowning in spam.

Meeting people, for me, is best something neither has to be paid to do. Common interests and needs, not buyer-seller. Even the fact that the gifts are free pleases me - it really IS the thought and the expressive choice that make the gift, not the price tag!

ED BEAR
:wave:
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 169
Posted: 3/21/2009 7:47:38 PM
I don't think this has been asked: For those who got complmentary upgrades, for how long is their membership upgraded?

If I wanted to pay for the service, I'd be on match. (Oh, I forgot; I'm there too. The quality of the participants isn't any better.) Put simply, payment by the users doesn't relate in any way to the quality of seriousness of the users.

BTW, there are undoubtedly others like me that use our own DNS overrides (for "Windows," hosts.txt files) so we don't ever see any advertisements, so all the google-adsense stuff is basically disabled and the admin gets nothing. The worst thing is when a PAID service throws advertisments at its users. Go there and kiss your site goodbye as users leave for good.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?