Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > No kids,never married, what kinda midlife crisis they go through?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 springorfall
Msg: 113
view profile
History
No kids,never married, what kinda midlife crisis they go through?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I think a midlife crisis is more to do with realizing that you're 'mid-life' (half-way through life, at best) without having accomplished what you thought you would, or without being who you wanted to be. People panic and try to make up for that lack with material things, inappropriate relationships that they might not otherwise have attempted and anything else that might approximate something similar to what they feel they've missed or are missing.

Having responsibilities have kept me grounded, but it is a scary thing how increasingly quickly time passes now.
 Maleman999
Msg: 114
No kids,never married, what kinda midlife crisis they go through?
Posted: 5/26/2015 9:37:23 AM
I never had to worry about a midlife crisis because I never had enough money to buy a $100,000 sports car or a Harley, and I never had the desire to grow my hair long enough to have a ponytail.
 Dragracer428
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/26/2015 4:33:55 PM
Never had the need to have a crisis. Never married, no children and have always done what I wanted.
Grew my hair long many years ago, spend stupid amounts of money on a car and drive my family nuts because they cannot comprehend my lifestyle. LOL
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2015 6:30:28 PM
springorfall

My take on it all is that I believe in many many lives and that we get to do all we wish to do, and have to do, sooner or later. There is no" we only have one life" etc.

We all have regrets about missed opportunities etc., bad decisions made perhaps. I am quite philosophical about it all and did the best I could have done, at the time. Made choices and have to live with them. There are many things I am proud of and a few I am not. That is life.

Midlife crisis?? That is more and more later in life nowadays. Not so very very long ago midlife was in your twenties and now it can be late forties. In the future it will be in our sixties..... I saw a number plate that read "MIDLIFE CRISIS" once on a snazzy red convertible and a man in his late fifties got out accompanied by the obligatory trophy blonde, I had to smile.....
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2015 6:32:37 PM
Dragracer

Like you I have never formally married, did not have kids, more than likely not able to and I really have never wanted the conventional family life. There are those that judged me for it, snubbed me for it but then I hear so many married people unhappy and envy my single lifestyle and the amount of freedom I have. You sound like the male version of me,
I love it!!
 bamagrl68
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/30/2015 5:20:22 PM
LinuxD- First, I'll comment to the OP.
I have been guilty of using the term "mid life crisis", but it's something that is repeated more than is accurate.
Some people who come out of long term relationships and loose their minds were idiots to start with.
Some just want to experience things they didn't because they feel like they missed out.
I don't think it matters whether or not children are involved.
Not everyone wants children and it's better they don't have them if they don't want them, I see nothing wrong with being childless.
To you, LinuxD, what you said hits home for me.
Finding myself single was SO weird at first, now, four years single, I like the freedom.
I don't have to share the remote, I can go and do whatever I want and not have to explain why or worry about a fight. If I don't want to cook, no one's mad, I can just make a sandwich, I can watch scary movies or my murder mystery shows without someone thinking I'm warped, I can blast my music and sing along and sometimes mess up the words. I can laugh, relax.
It feels pretty darn good, I must admit.
I'm not having a midlife crisis, I'm happy again, for the first time in a long time and it's wonderful :)
 Pepperpoodle
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:20:52 AM
Some people will never go through the crisis. Everybody's wants and needs differ on what they think will be a "full life." Personally I've never had a problem with aging, it's the youth obsessed society that totally ignores the population over 35.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2015 4:15:45 PM
I never have a problem with aging either.

When I stop aging, it means I'm dead.
 kj521
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/24/2015 4:43:47 PM
Omg! Ms. Pepperpoodle!

My 14 yr old daughter has her head cropped on your exact pic! Lol

Are you on Instagram? I wondered whose pic it was! ;)
 clooneystutor
Msg: 122
Mid LIfe Crisis = No Wife Opportunity
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:02:11 PM
I figure this is a great time to spend on me before my next victim can stop me :)

Oluben gives sage advice Pepper..listen carefully.

Mr. Clitheroe is a strong man indeed, and takes his ladies to IHop for breakfast...
 123nightmoves
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:02:38 PM
To Oluben....lol.

I think if I was going to paste my head on a body I'd maybe make a different choice.
 TedJMill
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2015 9:19:26 AM
I had a reverse midlife crisis, buying a house and moving in with a woman who had a preteen daughter. Big mistake.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2018 6:54:22 PM
Today .2018.It isn't so much about having a mid life crisis
but is more about assuming someone else is having one.
We've entered a period called instant gratification.It's
much easier assume things about others so we can just move on
to the next.That's a social crisis we're currently experiencing!
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2018 3:56:34 AM

We've entered a period called instant gratification.It's
much easier assume things about others so we can just move on
to the next.That's a social crisis we're currently experiencing!

People have always done this.

The only difference is that the internet has emboldened people to incorporate this more conveniently in their personal relationships, but the shit still blows up in their faces.

Instant or not, people are not free from the consequences of their stupidity and it eventually catches up to them. (Even DJT will have his day of reckoning.)
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2018 1:50:47 PM
OP<

From birth through death, everyone reaches milestones and are required to reconsider and tweak their life paths. Just because they do not have spouses or children does not mean they do not have their own life trajectory. Duh
 purplerider1200
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2018 2:30:57 PM
I had a midlife crisis. I ran out and bought a motorcycle, I was all of 12 years old at the time. 50 years later, I'm still going through it.

Does that count?
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2018 7:00:51 AM
Never married, no kids. There wasn't a crisis at 45. My goal was to retire by age 47. Achieved that before turning 44.

There are "bucket list" experiences to be completed before one's health makes something impossible or difficult.

One crisis is the environment. There's an urgency to visit places before they're ruined, for example some people might visit Glacier National Park as soon as they can before the glaciers have all melted as a result of climate change. View some animal in the wild before they're extinct. Go scuba diving at a barrier reef before the reef is completely dead.

There's a potential financial crisis. Most employers probably wouldn't consider hiring a white male American over 40. So one must be careful financially. The media claim there are job openings, but they seem to be for young people, "affirmative action" (white men need not apply), or for veterans (who are likely to have issues worse than the inability to get a job: PTSD, Gulf War syndrome for the vets my age, etc). Men over 40 who do have a job might realize they're stuck at their existing job because nobody would hire them. I can hear the wolf of poverty howling in the distance. It's still over 10 years before the retirement account is available without penalty, and more years after that before being eligible for a reverse mortgage or for collecting Social Security.

Rather than buying expensive toys, I'm trying to downsize, reducing clutter. Possessions weigh you down, so I feel freer with less.

Some middle aged men might try to have sex as often as possible because things might not work as well in the near future. Maybe they think being around a hot young thing will increase their drive. When I was 45, the youngest girl I met was 39. Not nearly young enough to qualify as a midlife crisis.

I don't have to worry about my hair turning grey. If I had hair and it changed, I would shrug. Some of my facial hairs are white. Not a big deal.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2018 8:55:58 PM
Anyone can have a mid-life crisis....it's not about not having kids, or never being married. It's about where one has been, and if one will ever get to where they (think) they ought to be. As for Meramec's comment on no one will hire a white male American over 40......that's true. But it's also true for mostly ANY American over age 40....one need not be white or male. I actually have great empathy for white males in a jobless situation, simply because they, for the most part, aren't accustomed to being treated like "second class citizens", and it can be a rather painful, eye-opening experience. Minorities and women on the other hand (well, I'm a "three-fer": black, female, over 40) -- we are accustomed to it, and have to keep on rolling.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > No kids,never married, what kinda midlife crisis they go through?